Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Malcolm XML posted:

the corn laws also kept food prices super high so they aren't the best example, since they benefited wealthy agricultural landowners

that's literally what i said

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
John Whittingdale has given a statement to newsnight about his 'possible conflict of interest'

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

https://twitter.com/iankatz1000/status/720004891985506306

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Jeremy Corbyn's hosed, the Telegraph just released a massive scoop that is bad for Corbyn.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/04/12/jeremy-corbyns-3million-state-funded-salary-and-pension-revealed/

quote:

remy Corbyn has made more than £3million from the state in the past 30 years, according to official records.

The Labour leader has made more than £1.5million in salary as an MP and will benefit from a generous £1.6million pension when he retires.

Did you know that all the time Corbyn has been in Goverment he's gotten PAID!?!?!?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
He's admitting it and the tories are not firing him from a cannon. Number 10 are backing him.

I cannot believe it.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Tigey posted:

I used to work on a programme which did just that - basically helped developing country governments fill gaps in their judiciary (or elsewhere in public sector) and clear case backlogs by bringing in retired judges (or other experts) from other Commonwealth countries - the similar legal structures and systems of public administration made such transfers remarkedly straightforward compared to other contexts, and the fact that they had literally no ties to the host government was also hugely important - it enabled breakthroughs in prosecuting a number of high profile corruption cases, including sitting politicians.

Sounds interesting, go on. Theres got to be some interesting detail to that.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Obviously, as prostitution is a matter for Justice.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I will be amazed if "media hold compromising information on man supposed to keep the media in check" is written up as a story and it manages to get swept under a rug. But part of me knows that is exactly what will happen.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Fans posted:

Jeremy Corbyn's hosed, the Telegraph just released a massive scoop that is bad for Corbyn.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/04/12/jeremy-corbyns-3million-state-funded-salary-and-pension-revealed/

Did you know that all the time Corbyn has been in Goverment he's gotten PAID!?!?!?

Lol, how much has Cambot made?

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Fans posted:

How is this not a Daily Mash story.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Party Boat posted:

How is this not a Daily Mash story.

Because it's NewsThump.

Oh, wait.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Fans posted:

quote:

A senior backbench Labour MP said the scale of his earnings was "remarkable" in the wake of Mr Corbyn's criticism of David Cameron over his own tax affairs.

The MP said: "This seems to indicate that we're going back to our bad old ways of criticising people for getting on but its even more remarkable from someone who has done so well himself over many years out of the public sector, paid for by ordinary working peoples' taxes."
I wonder how much senior backbench Labour mp earns

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

Namtab posted:

I wonder how much senior backbench Labour mp earns

Too much if he thinks it's remarkable that Jeremy Corbyn earns the same as him. It must have come as quite a shock.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

"criticising people for getting on" said by Senior Labour MP, sad!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Bloody Corbyn taking taxpayer money just because of winning all them elections. Who does he think he is?

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP

baka kaba posted:

Imagine if a household lost £4.80 a year. Not under this government!

Haha, my town is going down the shitter due to the Steel Works its reliant on firing everyone, all because some dick thought spending £4.80 more on a pair of shoes would be worse than thousands of people losing their careers.

Green Wing
Oct 28, 2013

It's the only word they know, but it's such a big word for a tiny creature

Oberleutnant posted:

I'm cataloguing some papers from the 1892 general election atm and one tory supporter whose local MP lost his seat lays the blame on the "agricultural deficiency in intellect", which is a really charming choice of words. Also he's really :qq: about Gladstone's "Newcastle Programme" which promises to hold employers liable for workplace accidents.

Your job sounds interesting. I wish my job involved more historical research but the closest I can get is present day Commons procedural research.

Kaislioc
Feb 14, 2008
http://www.theguardian.com/society/2016/apr/12/patients-wait-hours-for-ambulances-nhs-transport-service-privatised-sussex

quote:

Hundreds of patients including people with cancer and kidney failure have missed important appointments for treatment because ambulances did not arrive to take them to hospital, after privatisation of NHS non-urgent transport services in Sussex this month.

Some elderly patients have had to wait more than five hours for ambulances and been stuck at hospital for long periods after their appointments because the transport service, now run by the private firm Coperforma, has proved so unreliable.

Patients, relatives, NHS bodies and local MPs have severely criticised the service’s performance, and a trade union representing ambulance crews said it was an “absolute shambles”. The NHS organisations that awarded the four-year, £63.5m contract have now launched an investigation.

A host of problems have arisen since Coperforma replaced the NHS’s South East Coast ambulance service (Secamb) as the provider of non-emergency patient transport services on 1 April.

How many loving times do people need to be taught this lesson?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
According to current government doctrine, once.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.
As long as it takes until every low-achiever is dead.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Look, mate, it's not the private sector's fault that there's still nationalised sectors of the economy still in the way of glorious free-market efficiency.

"You Got: You are 86% Jeremy Corbyn!"

Wa-hey!

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Fans posted:

Stop me if I'm wrong here, but doesn't this literally just mean that Corbyn has been recieving a normal MP:s salary for 30 years?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Cerebral Bore posted:

Stop me if I'm wrong here, but doesn't this literally just mean that Corbyn has been recieving a normal MP:s salary for 30 years?

I cba tracking down the amounts over the past few decades, but yeah that's an average of 50 grand a year as pay, and 53.3... thou going into the pension pot per year. Given that the current basic MP salary is something like... £78k per year? whilst it was about £26k per year in 1990, it looks to me like Jezza falls pretty much exactly on the point where he has been getting a normal MP's salary for 30 years.

e; looking through that article, I think the Torygraph or at least that writer has completely and utterly bought into the "the poors are just jealous of the rich :byodood:" narrative. They can't fathom that there is a difference between honestly earning a pretty generous income whilst keeping everything above board, and deliberately bending or avoiding the rules in order to make/keep as much filthy lucre as possible.

Ms Adequate fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Apr 13, 2016

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Cerebral Bore posted:

Yes this is indeed the dark secret of Corbyn's that has been revealed. How can he possibly challenge anyone on their tax affairs when he himself has been receiving money for the work he has done?

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Mister Adequate posted:

e; looking through that article, I think the Torygraph or at least that writer has completely and utterly bought into the "the poors are just jealous of the rich :byodood:" narrative. They can't fathom that there is a difference between honestly earning a pretty generous income whilst keeping everything above board, and deliberately bending or avoiding the rules in order to make/keep as much filthy lucre as possible.

Hmm, more likely that they're well aware of the reality but are being deliberately disingenuous because they're paid shills for the ruling classes.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

Pistol_Pete posted:

Hmm, more likely that they're well aware of the reality but are being deliberately disingenuous because they're paid shills for the ruling classes.

Two words: Barclay Brothers. Probably not happy that the narrative was about tax havens, given they autocratically govern one.

gucci bane
Oct 27, 2008

I recently moved to London and became an Dual British Citizen. Upon paying 3 months of rent I came to my senses and moved back to the gloriously sunny and objectively better Australia. I forgot to register to vote while I was in the UK, and according to gov.uk that means I can't vote unless I fly back and register. That sounds poo poo, does anyone know a way around it? I really dislike David Cameron and would like to help vote him out.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Harley C posted:

I recently moved to London and became an Dual British Citizen. Upon paying 3 months of rent I came to my senses and moved back to the gloriously sunny and objectively better Australia. I forgot to register to vote while I was in the UK, and according to gov.uk that means I can't vote unless I fly back and register. That sounds poo poo, does anyone know a way around it? I really dislike David Cameron and would like to help vote him out.

I think maybe you should focus on ousting your own lovely government (which I'm given to understand is somehow worse than our Tories)

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Harley C posted:

No.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Fans posted:

Yes this is indeed the dark secret of Corbyn's that has been revealed. How can he possibly challenge anyone on their tax affairs when he himself has been receiving money for the work he has done?

Well, obviously the fact that he has recieved a salary is bad for Jeremy Corbyn.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
when he himself is made of taxes

gucci bane
Oct 27, 2008

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

I think maybe you should focus on ousting your own lovely government (which I'm given to understand is somehow worse than our Tories)

Actually they are both my own governments, and from my perspective England has a significantly shittier more corrupt one. Two votes are better than one.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH
Paris Lees has clearly read the OP.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/apr/12/stephen-fry-free-speech-child-abuse-bullying-safe-spaces

quote:

No one would listen to Stephen Fry if he was poor

History's greatest monster!

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://www.opendemocracy.net/ourbeeb/james-cusick/real-whittingdale-scandal-cover-up-by-press

This is a really good article on John Whittingdale and just how many times papers had the story and decided not to run it

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Remind me, why's the job of Whittingdale's girlfriend such a big deal again? Was she engaged in the less legal elements of prostitution?

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Fans posted:

This article is just the standard shirking family/individual has cost taxpayers £X in benefits over Y shirking years, except they've plugged in Jez, King of All Scroungers.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Darth Walrus posted:

Remind me, why's the job of Whittingdale's girlfriend such a big deal again? Was she engaged in the less legal elements of prostitution?

Well he's a member of this https://cornerstonegroup.wordpress.com/about/ for one

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywP56lWaCiI
Aheh

Found on the twitters.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
Earning an honest salary in public service or claiming benefits to which one is entitled is shameful in today's Britain. We ought to look to our tax-dodging, expense fiddling betters for examples of how to live our lives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009
https://twitter.com/RealNatalieRowe/status/720182951175200771

George Osborne's old friend wants to stick the knife in.

• Locked thread