Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Plinkey posted:

Aren't CareOne brands sold at Giant? I recognize that symbol from somewhere.

Maybe Stop & Shop? I think?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Tiggum posted:

It actually is though, by any reasonable definition.

So unless you're making the stupid and pedantic argument that this solid, edible substance is actually not food because the FDA says so, it's also dumb to argue that it's not cheese.

Call it pedantic, but I love it

Semisponge
Mar 9, 2006

I FUCKING LOVE BUTTS

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

The thing that sucks about them is that they're waaaaaaay too much peanut butter in them for how much chocolate they have. Around the middle, it's just a big mouthful of PB.

You're posting like this is a problem.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

Plinkey posted:

Aren't CareOne brands sold at Giant? I recognize that symbol from somewhere.

:ssh: (yes and they share branding with stop & shop apparently)

the_sea_hag
Oct 9, 2012
LOAF FANCIER

Titus Sardonicus posted:

Maybe Stop & Shop? I think?

I'm pretty sure it's Stop & Shop, because I bought some of those cookies. They aren't even salty, they just taste a little like maple.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Data Graham posted:

Call it pedantic, but I love it

This works for me.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Cheese product means you are shifting calories from milk fat to vegetable oil fat, which when you think about it, means nachos are basically a part of the Mediterranean diet.

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

The Snoo posted:

also

only 2?? thank god

We tried some of the maple cream soda and it was okay for 25 cents a bottle :v:

edit: at least two of those are soap, sorry!! at least they're kinda food

Went to my Stop and Shop the other day, and all this stuff was on clearance. Bought the cookies for .25, because for that price it worth the novelty. It has a slightly liquid smokey taste, and some maple. It wasn't bad, but the texture of the cream filling was a little off putting.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

There's also some random maple-blueberry-pancake ice cream, and probably something with bacon too. I love giant's store brand stuff because I'm a filthy poor and I'm sure some of it is okay. Probably would've been appropriate for the food trends thread. :)

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

SC Bracer posted:

A means to afp.

I'd like to point out that the rapid ramen cooker claims to be healthy because it reduces the sodium by 50%. How is this accomplished, you might ask?

by telling you to use half the flavoring packet

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

^ That product is probably better than what my oldest brother has done for years: reuse the rectangular plastic containers from microwavable ramen. Over and over.

Also ramen with butter and sugar!! :barf:

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Wanamingo posted:

I'd like to point out that the rapid ramen cooker claims to be healthy because it reduces the sodium by 50%. How is this accomplished, you might ask?

by telling you to use half the flavoring packet

I do this anyway, they always give you too much.

The Snoo posted:

^ That product is probably better than what my oldest brother has done for years: reuse the rectangular plastic containers from microwavable ramen. Over and over.

Also ramen with butter and sugar!! :barf:

D: WHAT

WHY

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
The lovely brazilian masterchef dishes just keep coming

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Flan com câncer?

Sweet As Sin
May 8, 2007

Hee-ho!!!

Grimey Drawer

Picnic Princess posted:

I loving knew a corn sandwich was inevitable.

This reminded me of a guajolota

A torta de tamal, a tamal inside a bolillo. Delicious and fattening.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Semisponge posted:

You're posting like this is a problem.

I mean, it's a good powdery peanut butter facsimile product, but it really needs the cheap chocolate to balance it out. That's what makes it perfect.

(I really wish I could find Reeses white at any time of year other than easter)

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

SC Bracer posted:

A means to afp.

I have a pasta cooker that runs on the same principle actually. At least I can feel like trash because it's proper Tupperware and not some knock off.

Except mine is a clear base and red lid.

Basically the way they work is on one end of the container are marked water levels, with how many people you plan on serving your pasta to indicated. Most boxes of pasta have an "number of people per box" on the side, so you just fill up the container with your box of pasta; then fill the container with water to the required level. Then you bang it in the microwave for 14-18 min depending on what kind of microwave you have. I find that if I set mine to power level 7, 16 min gives me a nice level of firmness; but it is really really easy to over cook it and just have either sad wet pasta. Other issues include leaving it for too long in the container after draining the water (you put the lid on and tip the water out of those vents on the end) can cause your pasta to stick together and become a clump that is hard to break up; very annoying with spaghetti)

If I'm doing egg pasta I still use the stove because I don't trust the microwave enough to get it right due to aforementioned issues. Also something like linguine that comes in a rectangular block I do on the stove because otherwise you have to break it in half to fit into the container and then you get really short rear end strands of it.

Gridlocked has a new favorite as of 08:07 on Apr 13, 2016

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

cash crab posted:

Simply Che-ese Guevara is

Che Gruyere-a.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Gridlocked posted:

you just fill up the container with your box of pasta; then fill the container with water to the required level. Then you bang it in the microwave for 14-18 min depending on what kind of microwave you have.

You boil pasta for 14-18 minutes? :psyduck:

That would turn pretty much any real pasta into floppy mush.

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop
drubk cooking

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

axolotl farmer posted:

You boil pasta for 14-18 minutes? :psyduck:

That would turn pretty much any real pasta into floppy mush.

Well the water goes in cold from the tap so you gotta boil it with the microwave first really though I don't understand either man. But it works for making quick and easy pasta dishes.

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

I'm Shannon and I'm the biggest Idiot Ever!

You don't need a water level, you drain off the extra water anyway. You don't save time, you don't save dishes since a weird box thing is probably harder to wash than a pan, you need to figure out your exact microwave time and level so you're gonna gently caress it up 3-4 times probably and end up with a hard mass of gunky pasta block or a smushy pasta paste. Where is the benefit? :psyduck:

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

teenytinymouse posted:

You don't need a water level, you drain off the extra water anyway. You don't save time, you don't save dishes since a weird box thing is probably harder to wash than a pan, you need to figure out your exact microwave time and level so you're gonna gently caress it up 3-4 times probably and end up with a hard mass of gunky pasta block or a smushy pasta paste. Where is the benefit? :psyduck:

All those delicious endocrine disrupters from microwaving plastic of course.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

teenytinymouse posted:

I'm living in a studio apartment that doesn't have a stove, and have since learned the art of perfect microwave pasta out of sheer necessity. Mine takes 12-13 mins for angel hair or regular spaghetti, 14 for linguine. Basically, take the time on the box and add about 3 minutes to it, depending on how firm you like it.

:smith:

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

I'm baffled that no one asked what this is yet?

Looks like some disgusting sea worm thing laying an egg

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I don't want to know and was hoping it would fall off the page.

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

I'm Shannon and I'm the biggest Idiot Ever!

Bees on Wheat posted:

I'm living in a studio apartment that doesn't have a stove

:( :( :(

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

teenytinymouse posted:

I'm really loving lazy and if I can pop the spaghetti in the microwave for 15 min while I cook up my tomato, garlic and chilli sauce I'm happy. Mostly because I can put the pasta on and then go have a shower or something and not have to worry that if I overcook it that it will get stuck to the bottom of my pot and be annoying to clean.

Humboldt Squid posted:

All those delicious endocrine disrupters from microwaving plastic of course.

I'll get back to you in however many years it takes for those to give me cancer with the full trip report then. Maybe sooner considering how much I microwave leftovers in plastic containers.

Dek
Dec 19, 2010

It Just Works™

Alien turd?

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Geoduck.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

Xenomorph ovipositor with egg. Anybody who eats this is going to give birth to a facehugger.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

The Snoo posted:

There's also some random maple-blueberry-pancake ice cream, and probably something with bacon too. I love giant's store brand stuff because I'm a filthy poor and I'm sure some of it is okay. Probably would've been appropriate for the food trends thread. :)

Now listen up, children, Imma tell you some poo poo:

Store brand is frequently the expensive/name-brand poo poo, but repackaged.

Let me again cite The American Way of Eating. The author worked as a garlic picker during her research period and noticed that the same product from the same fields was being packaged as an exclusive Wal-Mart brand AND as an exclusive Whole Foods brand. If you live outside North America, you may not know, but there would be a significant price difference for either fresh or dehydrated garlic sold at either store. I cannot remember if she said that canned produce is also similarly distributed, but I think she did and I'm gonna go ahead and say that it frequently is.

I'm a native of upstate New York, home of Wegman's. For those who don't know, Wegman's is literally and completely the greatest grocery store chain in the history of history. It is not only the poo poo, but since I'm from a rural area, the closest Wegman's (45 minutes away) is where people would go to loving hang out because upstate New York is usually buried under two meters of snow and there's sweet gently caress-all to do unless someone is playing terrible jazz in a state park somewhere. My hometown has fewer than two thousand people (if you count the woods-dwelling tornado bait who only come around to patronize the hardware store) and most of them are pretty loving poor. There's also a not-insignificant minority of extremely wealthy people. Where does everyone go? Wegman's. What does EVERYONE buy? Wegman's brand food. Prepared food, canned food, whatever. Absolutely everyone. Why? because it's exactly the same, in most cases, as the name-brand stuff.

(On the Canadian side, I suppose the brand I'm most familiar with people having equivalent loyalty to is President's Choice. [and, really, those white cheddar shells...yessss.])

Now, think about it. If you were shopping in your supermarket of choice, and you saw Heinz baked beans and store brand baked beans for the exact same price, which would you buy? Probably the Heinz. Store brand ice cream or Edy's? Um, no contest, right? But if there's significant difference in price point between the store brand of, let's say, canned tomatoes, and a "fancy" name brand of canned tomatoes, one likely wouldn't miss out on much by purchasing the store brand. In fact, you might just get the exact same thing. Alphonso's Organic Angel-Kissed Tomato Farm had a bumper crop and Wegman's bought it; Wegman's own brand is Alphonso's fancy tomatoes. The next batch might be some lovely tomatoes that are nowhere near as good as Alphonsos babied, tenderly adored tomatoes that he grows supported in La Perla bras adjacent to an actual field of asphodel, but guess what? It probably will be just as decent.

So, believe in the store brand. Buy that cheap poo poo and feel smug.

but don't ever buy that "avocado hummus" at trader Joe's, because that poo poo tastes like chalk.

http://www.thekitchn.com/generic-versus-name-brand-25-foods-to-buy-cheap-tips-from-the-kitchn-206826
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/generic-vs-brand-name-is-there-really-a-difference/

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I'm generally a pretty good devotee to the church of the store brand, they're cheaper and generally mostly the same. But even I have to say that store-brand soda is the absolute worst.

I mean yeah it kind of has to be to be two bucks for a 12 pack but goddamn is it bad. But I still bought it anyways. :(

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

I'm generally a pretty good devotee to the church of the store brand, they're cheaper and generally mostly the same. But even I have to say that store-brand soda is the absolute worst.

I mean yeah it kind of has to be to be two bucks for a 12 pack but goddamn is it bad. But I still bought it anyways. :(

I agree; there is nothing worse than store-brand cola. Orange/grape sodas, ginger ale, and Dr. Pepper knockoffs aren't too bad, though.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Tiberius Thyben posted:

Che Gruyere-a.

:v:

What perfect lighting.

Also: PC Mac and Cheese is different than Kraft. Because it's better. It's loving delicious and it's like $0.60 a box. Mmm. If you ever go to Canada, buy some.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

But even I have to say that store-brand soda is the absolute worst.

Are you shittalking Super Chill®, motherfucker?

:stare:

cash crab posted:

Also: PC Mac and Cheese is different than Kraft. Because it's better. It's loving delicious and it's like $0.60 a box. Mmm. If you ever go to Canada, buy some.

I like PC Mac and Cheese but it's a pain the rear end to get the display resolution just right on a widescreen monitor.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Are you shittalking Super Chill®, motherfucker?

:stare:

I... Have no idea what that is, honestly. I'm talking about like this poo poo.

They even managed to gently caress up their Dr Pepper variant "Dr Storm"

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

bringmyfishback posted:

For those who don't know, Wegman's is literally and completely the greatest grocery store chain in the history of history.

I'm legitimately sad for you, that you could be so wrong. It's quite obvious that you've never been to the southern United States and/or never heard of Publix.

Publix shits on your precious Wegman's.

That is all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

I'm baffled that no one asked what this is yet?

Blood sausage with melty cheese, boiled egg.