Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mosch
Jul 30, 2013
I really want to experience the game as spoiler free as possible, but I my first run is going to be a shared exploration with my wife. How soon can we play coop and how does the system work this time? I'm terrified of looking that stuff up in a wiki for fear of learning something that would detract from my enjoyment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Oh sweet!

Is there actually a legitimate way to get up there later?

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Mosch posted:

I really want to experience the game as spoiler free as possible, but I my first run is going to be a shared exploration with my wife. How soon can we play coop and how does the system work this time? I'm terrified of looking that stuff up in a wiki for fear of learning something that would detract from my enjoyment.

When you arrive at firelink shrine, the shrine maiden (along the way to Andre the smith from the center) will be selling the white soapstone for 500 souls and is the mechanic you need to co-op with.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

Oh sweet!

Is there actually a legitimate way to get up there later?

Yes, the shrine maiden sells a 20k soul key and that allows you rooftop access.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I still can't figure out how to land hits in a 1v1 if the other guy is determined to just run. I think I'm going to stick to moundmaker for all my but hole needs.

Split Pea Superman
Dec 16, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Thanks for this btw. Them rings are great!

So when I'm double handing an item in my right hand, and do the strong left hand attack there is a third animation that takes a bit of my blue bar... What's the purpose of this? Can't find a description, and I'm on a keyboard and mouse so the tutorial was near worthless.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Ulvirich posted:

Yes, the shrine maiden sells a 20k soul key and that allows you rooftop access.

Ah so that's what the key is for. Thanks!

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
The best thing about being a sunbro for the catacombs boss is the people doing it for the very first time, and that quick spazzy turn in place thing they do when Wolnir shows up so you know they jumped.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Fat Samurai posted:

I love that people believe I'm not willing to burn consumables while invading. I don't need spells when I can firebomb.

Given that firebombs and knives scale with strength and dex, I honestly find them really pretty effective for characters specced into those, and they're dirt cheap too.

Knives especially seem like something you could almost build a character around, just being the most annoying dickhead who throws knives constantly because they're like 10 souls each and you can throw them super fast.

solaranus posted:

Thanks for this btw. Them rings are great!

So when I'm double handing an item in my right hand, and do the strong left hand attack there is a third animation that takes a bit of my blue bar... What's the purpose of this? Can't find a description, and I'm on a keyboard and mouse so the tutorial was near worthless.

L2 is the special ability button, all weapons and shields have them, though some shields have the ability which allows you to use whatever your weapon's special ability is. Normally you have to two hand the weapon and hit L2 to activate the skill, and each weapon's skill is described on the weapon description. Many of them are remarkably useful. For example I recommend getting a hold of a set of bells as soon as you can because the L2 on those is basically a free regeneration miracle which vastly increases the amount of healing you can do between fights.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Apr 13, 2016

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

RBA Starblade posted:

I still can't figure out how to land hits in a 1v1 if the other guy is determined to just run. I think I'm going to stick to moundmaker for all my but hole needs.

throw poo poo at them

Urthor
Jul 28, 2014

Just putting out there atm there's two rooms open for Goons Dark Souls atm, IRC and Discord

Discord, which is pretty much a much, much, much better version of Skype that works in browser and has a lobby/gui all sorts of 21st century goodies. Click https://discordapp.com/channels/109041015402270720/169629998188199941 new link https://discord.gg/0blIq7586Q9PPneE get yourself auth'd as a Goon and then Dark Souls 3 is on the big list

Otherwise there's IRC at irc.synirc.net #fromgoons. If you don't know what that means or what IRC chat is, well then, what kind of a goon are you anyway (the tl;dr is download MIRC or some other client, click connect copy paste irc.synirc.net into the appropriate box, then type /join #fromgoons into the channel when you connect)

Imma bug the OP to add both of these but until then here's the post

Urthor fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Apr 13, 2016

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

ymgve posted:

Fire axe is better, IMO. I enchanted the Pyromancer starting axe with fire and it's been my main weapon ever since. Also helps that I don't have to worry about pushing str/dex and can focus on my HP/stamina.

You know what's better than a water-filled swamp area? A poison-filled swamp area! Coming right up!

Visions of This again?

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
the number of people that get to level 25 before fighting vordt and summon two dudes for their first try is out of control

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

when and where can i find the best 2h to mostly carry me through the game? they always got one.

i don't know when i can buy shards as much as i want and don't wanna waste em.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

ghostter posted:

throw poo poo at them

They can dodge the throwing knives that way too though. I mean, so can I, the problem's really that I run out of patience rolling forever. It feels way more powerful than before.

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

soooooo happy the red eye orb is back

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Groovelord Neato posted:

when and where can i find the best 2h to mostly carry me through the game? they always got one.

i don't know when i can buy shards as much as i want and don't wanna waste em.

Claymore is pretty versatile, like a longsword but beefier, hits harder.

I also just bought a zweihander and, well, it's like a beefier claymore without as much versatility, hits harder still, longer reach.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Caidin posted:

The best thing about being a sunbro for the catacombs boss is the people doing it for the very first time, and that quick spazzy turn in place thing they do when Wolnir shows up so you know they jumped.

Is that boss supposed to be fought as soon as you can reach him?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Trip report HOLY poo poo THE ZWEIHANDER IS AMAZING.

It's pretty effective but, just... the loving things it does when you hit people with it...

Holy poo poo.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Purple shades are why I have trust issues. "Protector SwagBro420 has entered!" When I was fighting a red shade. Oh cool, but how does that work, I don't have the blue covenant activa-backstabbed.

I spent ten minutes trying to bounce off that damned tree and I didn't even notice the doorway into the interior when I got up there :negative:

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Is it acceptable to die to crystal sage or is it the new pinwheel?
Cuz I died once

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Is there any trick to make the crowds of knights that do gently caress-off damage at the start of Irithyll manageable? I've been rolling with great club build the whole game, kiting guys out one at a time, and murdering them in 1-2 hits, but I'm having a heck of a lot of trouble dealing with hordes of knights that can one-shot me and are too close together to pull.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Does the host get anything for killing a purple invader?

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Cactus posted:

So is there anyone here for whom this is their first Souls Game? I know it's a long shot but I'd love to hear some first impressions from you, if you even exist.

I'm basically a first time player. Tried DS1 very briefly with my gamepad that didn't have enough buttons for all the functions and got killed by skeletons, thinking, "what's so great about this?"

Started with a knight. I went into the game expecting a really awful time since I'm generally not a very good gamer. Took me ages just to beat the first boss while getting acquian acqcuints familiar with the controls. Currently I'm at Lothric high wall where I'm trying to make through a corridor with lots of skeletons and then get my rear end handed to me by a very menacing armored guy.

So not very far. So far I'm not sure when to dodge and when to block attacks. Some enemies seem to break my guard easily and I have trouble getting the kick off reliably.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
I'm finding that I'm dying alot more from jankiness than I did in previous installments. Like dudes weapons clipping through walls, or getting knocked down and glitching along a wall into a pit, etc.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

GET LAUNCHED NERD

I don't know if I can bring myself to use any other weapon, or to stop launching people into the air even though there's no benefit to doing so.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

Alan Smithee posted:

Is it acceptable to die to crystal sage or is it the new pinwheel?
Cuz I died once

It's acceptable. Even now I eat a tracking deathstar crystal and a swipe as I come up and dead.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Azazell0 posted:

I'm basically a first time player. Tried DS1 very briefly with my gamepad that didn't have enough buttons for all the functions and got killed by skeletons, thinking, "what's so great about this?"

Started with a knight. I went into the game expecting a really awful time since I'm generally not a very good gamer. Took me ages just to beat the first boss while getting acquian acqcuints familiar with the controls. Currently I'm at Lothric high wall where I'm trying to make through a corridor with lots of skeletons and then get my rear end handed to me by a very menacing armored guy.

So not very far. So far I'm not sure when to dodge and when to block attacks. Some enemies seem to break my guard easily and I have trouble getting the kick off reliably.

Always be rolling.

I'm at the point now where I have no idea how people even use a shield effectively, blocking takes so much more stamina than dodging and you risk getting staggered. I guess if you can parry worth a drat, unlike me.

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard
129,269 current player peak today on steam :stare: IIRC this is on par with Fallout 4 and GTA V release peaks

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Thanks to whichever mod changed the thread title.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Internet Kraken posted:

Wait you can get flynn's ring early in the game? Where?

Undead Settlement, the tower with the spear throwing giant. You know How you can hear Sigfried Mk 2 when you ride the elevator up? There's a platform midway up you can ump onto that leads to another small section of the settlement. Ring is at the end of that. Two rings, actually, Chloranthy ring is over there too.

Split Pea Superman
Dec 16, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Urthor posted:

Just putting out there atm there's two rooms open for Goons Dark Souls atm, IRC and Discord

Discord, which is pretty much a much, much, much better version of Skype that works in browser and has a lobby/gui all sorts of 21st century goodies. Click https://discordapp.com/channels/109041015402270720/169629998188199941 get yourself auth'd as a Goon and then Dark Souls 3 is on the big list

Says invite is expired when I try to join server on discord. My username is Bushwhisperer #4287 if someone could invite me or something.

theSpokeyDokey
Jul 19, 2005
This is my very first Souls game. Gotta say, took me a couple of hours to get used to the control schema. After I got used to that I had to actively make an effort not to accidentally double-swing/double-roll to save stamina and also not accidentally get biffed for being greedy as gently caress.

I am recording the first play through to cut into videos and upload them for a new YouTube channel I want to start. Already have my first video which is a "How To: Cheese the Ice Lizard" which is super loving easy and he's worth 4K Souls + a Titanite Scale. Was furious when I lost that on my first couple of attempts at Resident Evil Knight right before Firelink Shrine. Accidentally got wrecked trying to pick up my souls.

If anyone is interested, you can drag the Ice Lizard down into the ruins area you start in and there are several wall corners you can fight him through. Basically just wait for one of his three long-range attack animations, roll in and slap a couple of times and roll back out. Rinse/repeat until dead. I will try and get the video up at some point and link to it.

The easiest strat I found as a beginner for the Knight right before Firelink Shrine is to melee him down until he transforms into a giant pile of murder/[spoiler] and then basically do your best to dodge and kill him with the Firebombs you find [spoiler]off the bowman on the cliff ledge right behind the spearman.

I started as a Deprived. May have been a mistake. Deprived is game on "hard as gently caress mode."

Game is very pretty and very entertaining. I would compare the experience to the Ninja Gaiden game on Xbox 360. Beautiful, infuriatingly hard sometimes, but can't stop playing it.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Mr.PayDay posted:

129,269 current player peak today on steam :stare: IIRC this is on par with Fallout 4 and GTA V release peaks

good. it is better than every game in both series put together.

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

Aldritch covenant owns, getting instant invasions, often 2v1

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me

Elman posted:

Does the host get anything for killing a purple invader?

It might just be if you also have the covenant item equipped but you get the turn-in item.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Can you get the to the bottom of the tower near where you find the Flynn's ring without dying when you jump down from the platform?

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Its a crystal lizard, fyi

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
Managed to grab a greataxe off one of those tall undead, it is preceding to own face against everything I throw it against

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Urthor
Jul 28, 2014

solaranus posted:

Says invite is expired when I try to join server on discord. My username is Bushwhisperer #4287 if someone could invite me or something.

https://discord.gg/0blIq7586Q9PPneE

Try that one