Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

divabot posted:

Here, for your delight, is Peak Rationalist Tumblr Discourse:

Yeah, a lot of Tumblr users are terrifyingly young, and particularly the Tumblr rationalist crowd. But you should click on the notes, in which rationalists argue that other people did bad things too y'know and literally find the concept of fascism being bad a difficult idea to get their heads around.

...and furthermore, why do people unquestioningly believe that "goodness" holds any positive/worthwhile qualities? Isn't it time for a critical reappraisal of the very idea of "badness"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Jack of Hearts posted:

...and furthermore, why do people unquestioningly believe that "goodness" holds any positive/worthwhile qualities? Isn't it time for a critical reappraisal of the very idea of "badness"?

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Wesley you're outside of the facility, there's nothing guiding your steps anymore, you're just saying words that correspond to nothing anyone else understands, come back Wesley

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

I still don't get the picture.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Annointed posted:

I still don't get the picture.

It's all pretty clear

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

This is actually about Phil Sandifer's book, which is the toast of the rationalsphere since Yudkowsky's post on the subject. Phil answers Wesley here. Note also in that Twitter thread Wesley going into a detailed critique of a book he has literally not read. (I am one of five people who has, and can assure you that literally everything Wesley is saying about it is not-even-wrong.)

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

divabot posted:

This is actually about Phil Sandifer's book, which is the toast of the rationalsphere since Yudkowsky's post on the subject. Phil answers Wesley here. Note also in that Twitter thread Wesley going into a detailed critique of a book he has literally not read. (I am one of five people who has, and can assure you that literally everything Wesley is saying about it is not-even-wrong.)

I'm more talking about whatever the gently caress "atheistic immaterialism" is

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

The Vosgian Beast posted:

It's all pretty clear

Still don't get it. Other than old man being edgy and insulting kid but I don't get it beyond that.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Annointed posted:

Still don't get it. Other than old man being edgy and insulting kid but I don't get it beyond that.

It's a version of a tweet by dril, who does a load of 140-character sendup of a certain kind of self-important, faux-profound Internet moron. Here, he's parodying some of the dumber moral-relativist posts you see floating around the tubes.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Darth Walrus posted:

It's a version of a tweet by dril, who does a load of 140-character sendup of a certain kind of self-important, faux-profound Internet moron. Here, he's parodying some of the dumber moral-relativist posts you see floating around the tubes.

More specifically it's a tweet by dril set to panels from inspirational poster factory Zen Pencils http://zenpencils.com/comic/94-the-two-wolves/

Oligopsony
May 17, 2007

The Vosgian Beast posted:

I'm more talking about whatever the gently caress "atheistic immaterialism" is

there's a guy named karl who wrote a book called the german ideology that thoroughly critiques exactly the

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

divabot posted:

Here, for your delight, is Peak Rationalist Tumblr Discourse:

Yeah, a lot of Tumblr users are terrifyingly young, and particularly the Tumblr rationalist crowd. But you should click on the notes, in which rationalists argue that other people did bad things too y'know and literally find the concept of fascism being bad a difficult idea to get their heads around.

Were we to exclude people for having ideas outside the mainstream, far worse than so-called "fascists," we would have become the people who picked on me in high school for liking anime and computers. :reddit:

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?

:ironicat:

The Time Dissolver has a new favorite as of 03:31 on Apr 13, 2016

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

:jfc:

The mental loops they start tying themselves into to reject entire fields of study.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

I'm the diamond.

(immutability and functional purity are real things lambda-centric programmers care about)

Asymmetrikon
Oct 30, 2009

I believe you're a big dork!
It's fine, we should be able to wrap the conference in a monad and take care of all that mess.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

Completely off topic but have you heard about that experimental treatment using TMS that's allowed at least one guy to sense emotions for the first time?

I can sense emotions just fine, though. It requires me to be paying attention and to connect what I'm percieving in the other person's behaviors with what I know from my own experience of those emotions and study, but it's still sensing them. To be honest, I'm not sure I'd like to suddenly experience that stuff directly, autism isn't my only issue and I'm willing to bet being able to feel that stuff head-on is more intense than my dangerously jury-rigged brain could handle.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

ikanreed posted:

The mental loops they start tying themselves into to reject entire fields of study.

I don't even understand what they said.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Asymmetrikon posted:

It's fine, we should be able to wrap the conference in a monad and take care of all that mess.

Why did the ancap programmer focus on pure functional languages? He didn't want to maintain the State, ha-chachachachaa

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

Doc Hawkins posted:

Why did the ancap programmer focus on pure functional languages? He didn't want to maintain the State, ha-chachachachaa

He was also an advocate of the Free Market.

SolTerrasa
Sep 2, 2011

Does that parse to "there is a lot of social psychology which appears to endorse mind-body dualism, therefore social psychology is bullshit", or am I just really confused?

Fututor Magnus
Feb 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Doc Hawkins posted:

(immutability and functional purity are real things lambda-centric programmers care about)

accepting that having Moldbug around for your conference isn't best for your conference would be too much of a state change in the lambdaconf guy's free speech and inclusivity functions

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

McGlockenshire posted:

Problem 2: A talk was reviewed and approved that ended up being from an author that has made numerous statements that make members of certain groups hesitant to associate with the author. The talk is topical and compelling enough to include in the conference.

I can just about guarantee you it's not. I am confident in this despite not having read a precis, or even the title of the talk.

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Of course, increment is built into Nock. So, ha, that's easy.

How do we decrement? A good way to start is to gaze fondly on how we'd do it if we actually had a real language, ie, Hoon. Here is a minimal decrement in Hoon:

code:
=>  a=.                     ::  line 1
=+  b=0                     ::  line 2
|-                          ::  line 3
?:  =(a +(b))               ::  line 4
  b                         ::  line 5
$(b +(b))                   ::  line 6

Or for fun, on one line:

code:
=>(a=. =+(b=0 |-(?:(=(a +(b)) b $(b +(b))))))

Does Hoon actually work?

code:
~tasfyn-partyv>  =>(42 =>(a=. =+(b=0 |-(?:(=(a +(b)) b $(b +(b)))))))

Let's translate this into English. How do we decrement the subject? First (line 1), we rename the subject a. Second (line 2), we add a variable, b, an atom with value 0. Third (line 3), we loop. Fourth, we test if a equals b plus 1 (line 4), produce b if it does (line 5), repeat the loop with b set to b plus 1 (line 6) if it doesn't. Obviously, while the syntax is unusual, the algorithm is anything but deep. We are calculating a minus one by counting up from 0.

(Obviously, this is an O(n) algorithm. Is there a better way? There is not. Do we actually do this in practice? Yes and no.)

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Assembly looks more practical than that gibberish.

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

ikanreed posted:

My friends think studying sociology is dumb :(

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Twerkteam Pizza posted:

My friends think studying sociology is dumb :(

:sever:

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Woolie Wool posted:

Assembly is practical. It is a minimal 1-to-1 mapping of what the machine really does to some word-like things to help you see what's going on.

Hoon is an un-thought. The antithesis of consideration.

Winter Stormer
Oct 17, 2012

Abjad Soup posted:

Let's translate this into English. How do we decrement the subject? First (line 1), we rename the subject a. Second (line 2), we add a variable, b, an atom with value 0. Third (line 3), we loop. Fourth, we test if a equals b plus 1 (line 4), produce b if it does (line 5), repeat the loop with b set to b plus 1 (line 6) if it doesn't. Obviously, while the syntax is unusual, the algorithm is anything but deep. We are calculating a minus one by counting up from 0.

(Obviously, this is an O(n) algorithm. Is there a better way? There is not. Do we actually do this in practice? Yes and no.)

Is this some unironic implementation of Church numerals or what?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

quote:

Obviously, this is an O(n) algorithm. Is there a better way? There is not.

Am I missing some hidden array thing or is this seriously claiming something that a processor can do in one instruction cycle needs a loop and is O(n) somehow?

Hate Fibration
Apr 8, 2013

FLÄSHYN!

Woolie Wool posted:

Assembly is very practical surprisingly. When doing embedded systems programming Assembly is often used for speed and memory usage.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Hate Fibration posted:

Assembly is very practical surprisingly. When doing embedded systems programming Assembly is often used for speed and memory usage.

Back when my dad (an electrical engineer from back when electrical engineering meant building poo poo out of at most VLSI chips and generally discrete components) first started getting into PIC controllers for personal projects he went with assembly because "that compiler business looks too complicated" :wtc:

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Am I missing some hidden array thing or is this seriously claiming something that a processor can do in one instruction cycle needs a loop and is O(n) somehow?

Abjad Soup is saying that there is no better way in Hoon, not that no better way exists ever.

Also, won't this loop forever if the number to be decremented is <= 0?

SolTerrasa
Sep 2, 2011

ToxicFrog posted:

Abjad Soup is saying that there is no better way in Hoon, not that no better way exists ever.

Also, won't this loop forever if the number to be decremented is <= 0?

I think Hoon has integer overflow, so no, just a very very long time.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

ToxicFrog posted:

That's what I thought he was saying, but it seemed far too stupid to be true so I figured I must have been reading something wrong.

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

I wasn't saying jack poo poo myself, I just googled for "example nock hoon program", went to the first result (which is Yarvin's tutorial/guidebook!), and then grabbed the first piece that wasn't the obscurassembly BS.

Besides the "my bespoke gibberish is incapable of decrementing a variable in less than linear time" bit, my favorite part is in the second paragraph:

"Like JVM bytecode, Nock is as inscrutable as assembly language. In fact, you can think of it as a sort of "functional assembly language." There are sometimes reasons to program in real assembly language. There is never a reason to program in Nock. Except to learn Nock."

This all was why I was first linked to this thread, quite a while back, when people were marveling at the majesty of Curtis Yarvin's masterwork here. Back on like page 2 or 3. If you've missed out or have just forgotten since then, enjoy the trip down Functional Assembly Language lane!!

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Apparently the interpreter for this crazy language has a feature that can detect stuff like the overcomplicated decrement and replace it with the single cpu instruction. I've heard that urbit is horribly slow though, so I doubt it works particularly well.

It's almost as if the whole thing is was written by a crazy obscurantist.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
I've been trying to explain to people that Urbit is the Time Cube of computer science. This should hammer the point home.

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

divabot posted:

I've been trying to explain to people that Urbit is the Time Cube of computer science. This should hammer the point home.

Time Cube is a fun foray into the mind of a schizo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

TempleOS is the Time Cube of programming; Urbit is the Atlas Shrugged.