Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Kinbote
Feb 27, 2016

Azuth0667 posted:

I'm not really sure why but, I suspect over feeding has caused my water parameters in my freshwater tank to go off. I have a betta and 3 remaining of 10 cherry shrimp. I feed the fish once a day but, the roommates I have might have been feeding the tank as well, they won't admit it when I ask. The tank probably about half planted and I'm trying to figure out how to fix the chemistry so I can keep the rest of my shrimp. However the betta seems to be fine he's active, regularly eats and plays with the little mirror toy in his tank.

These are the parameters over the last 3 days using the API master test kit for freshwater:

pH: 6.4, 6.4, 6.0.
Ammonia (ppm): 1, 1, 1.
Nitrite(ppm): 5, 5, 5.
Nitrate(ppm): 20, 20, 10.

I added 1mL of seachem prime after the second day and waited 30 hours before testing it again. I want to raise the pH to something compatible with cherry shrimp breeding, ~7.4-7.6 but, I'm not sure how to go about doing it. I could raise it all at once however anecdotes I've read say that will kill the shrimp and I don't know how that would affect my betta. I think the nitrate is okay because of the plants I have in the tank. However the nitrite and ammonia are worrying the prime seems to have done nothing about them.

Don't feed your fish everyday I personally only feed 4 times a week,it clears their gut and fish in the wild will go through periods being underfed.Do not mess with your PH,just keep it stable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

During yesterday's water change I found three guppies in the middle chamber of my filter :psyduck: one fairly flat dead one and the other two seemingly quite healthy. I can't comprehend how they got there let alone how two of them were still alive. It's a sealed box that sits in the top of the hood. There is no way they came up the inlet since that is covered in sponges, so they must have got sucked up or swam up the outlet? But then how did they get past everything in the first chamber to be sitting in the middle one? I've put a spray bar back on which will hopefully stop this happening again. I've lost fish to three different filters now, and I've never come across a "tips for beginners" that even mentions filters being a problem (apart from for small guys like shrimp and fry). Am I just unlucky? Doing something wrong? Who knows??

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer
If anyone in the US wants some corkscrew vallisneria shoot me a PM. I'm moving soon and the tank with that is coming down this week, Cost will be for the shipping, so probably little under $10.

The first warning is that this stuff grows pretty quickly and can overtake pretty much anything if it's not thinned out regularly. The second is that the tank contains Malaysian trumpets too, so it's very possible that you'd wind up with your own colony.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
So this is fun, I'm having a Ramshorn explosion in my aquarium so they are getting scooped out and thrown in the pond (where they feed the catfish) but my Mystery Snails just made babies!! Yay baby Mysteries!!

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Shakenbaker posted:

If anyone in the US wants some corkscrew vallisneria shoot me a PM. I'm moving soon and the tank with that is coming down this week, Cost will be for the shipping, so probably little under $10.

The first warning is that this stuff grows pretty quickly and can overtake pretty much anything if it's not thinned out regularly. The second is that the tank contains Malaysian trumpets too, so it's very possible that you'd wind up with your own colony.

How involved are they to grow? I'd be interested by my tank setup is basically just the substrate and a bulb. Would I need anything fancier for that?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Vals are easy, but you might need root tabs or pot them

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Len posted:

How involved are they to grow? I'd be interested by my tank setup is basically just the substrate and a bulb. Would I need anything fancier for that?

Like SynthOrange said they're pretty easy. I was growing them plenty easy with a very early Finnex Ray and spotty sunlight (for the peace lillies in the filter) for a long time. If you've got a plant-advantageous substrate and reasonable lighting they'll grow.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I've arranged to sell off all of my juvenile frontosas tomorrow, but I'm really going to miss having them around. Sucks getting attached to fish that get super huge.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
I'm about to prune a forest of moss from my 55, it's that time again.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
I made a few changes to the tank. I gave away some of my giant danios and black neon tetras and replaced them with 2 boesemani rainbows, 2 turquoise rainbows and 2 yellow banded rainbows.

These things are pretty as babies I can wait to see them as adults.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

demonR6 posted:

I'm about to prune a forest of moss from my 55, it's that time again.

What kind of moss?

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
Some funky moss I got from the springs, it's many generations on by now I have had it so long.. I have to prune it every few months then I sell it on fleabay or Aquabid for people who collect moss or a couple of dudes use it for shipping shrimp.

It's the giant blob on the left..

demonR6 fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Apr 8, 2016

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
That looks badass, how much do you sell it for?

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I normally sell them off in packed golf ball size, ends up much larger though. For our dudes.. if you just want one or two I won't charge you except for shipping and if you want to throw anything additional that is fine. Fair warning though I have hitchhiking snails and cherry shrimp. Also in the right conditions this poo poo grows like a weed..

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

demonR6 posted:

I normally sell them off in packed golf ball size, ends up much larger though. For our dudes.. if you just want one or two I won't charge you except for shipping and if you want to throw anything additional that is fine. Fair warning though I have hitchhiking snails and cherry shrimp. Also in the right conditions this poo poo grows like a weed..

I would be super down for that. I bought some java moss but it isnt doing very well, of the three small patches only one is taking off

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I'm good to send out a few to goons.. shoot me an email at owwithurts@ that common email address that starts with g and we can go over the rest.

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer
75 has been drained. It only took me two mouthfuls of sand/soil/mulm to remember I own a shop vac :shepface:

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

demonR6 posted:

I'm good to send out a few to goons.. shoot me an email at owwithurts@ that common email address that starts with g and we can go over the rest.

I desire moss. Email sent!

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Sold off all my frontosa and red empress juvies today, and I'll be tearing down 2 or those 3 tanks for a while. That leaves me with a 40 breeder, with my choice of canister, hob and sponge filters all seeded and ready to go. Any suggestions for what I should stock? I've kept most of the common stuff already, so looking for something a little more out there.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Cowslips Warren posted:

gotcha covered.

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Enos Cabell posted:

Sold off all my frontosa and red empress juvies today, and I'll be tearing down 2 or those 3 tanks for a while. That leaves me with a 40 breeder, with my choice of canister, hob and sponge filters all seeded and ready to go. Any suggestions for what I should stock? I've kept most of the common stuff already, so looking for something a little more out there.

Could do some funky apistos maybe? Something not agassizi or cacatuoides if you're feeling real froggy. Failing that maybe some of the less boisterous labyrinth fish like brown spike-tailed paradisefish or samurai gourami? Blackwater tanks are pretty loving sweet.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Shakenbaker posted:

Could do some funky apistos maybe? Something not agassizi or cacatuoides if you're feeling real froggy. Failing that maybe some of the less boisterous labyrinth fish like brown spike-tailed paradisefish or samurai gourami? Blackwater tanks are pretty loving sweet.

I'm definitely considering blackwater for this tank. I've kept cacatuoides before, but another apisto might be cool. I've never really tried labyrinth fish either, aside from a few dwarf pearl gouramis a while back.

I was also thinking I might give lamprologus ocellatus a shot, maybe with a pair of julidochromis. Partly because the shell dwelling should be super interesting to watch. Partly because my tap water is the perfect pH for them and less effort on a 5th tank is appealing.

I LIKE COOKIE
Dec 12, 2010

Have you heard of pipefish? I've never seen these things before in my life until I started following this dude on Instagram. Absolutely beautiful. If your looking for freshwater and exotic maybe try and breed these cuties?

https://www.instagram.com/p/BCdaBPZkUgf/

Bonus pic edit:

I LIKE COOKIE fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Apr 9, 2016

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Cowslips Warren posted:

Your moss is en-route!

Anyone interested in the type, I got as best a pic as I could of some individual pieces.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

I LIKE COOKIE posted:

Have you heard of pipefish? I've never seen these things before in my life until I started following this dude on Instagram. Absolutely beautiful. If your looking for freshwater and exotic maybe try and breed these cuties?

https://www.instagram.com/p/BCdaBPZkUgf/

Bonus pic edit:

Be careful with freshwater pipes. They don't ship well and often the ones in the stores are already dying from stress.

If you like smaller Lake Tang, go for a group of julies and let them pair off, and perhaps get a small group of shellies, multies, not occelatus. Multis are great colony animals, all the occies I've had are a bitch to breed and are super shy.

I've become super fond of my panda garras too. Aka the foot spa fish.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

demonR6 posted:

Shot you an email as well

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Cowslips Warren posted:

If you like smaller Lake Tang, go for a group of julies and let them pair off, and perhaps get a small group of shellies, multies, not occelatus. Multis are great colony animals, all the occies I've had are a bitch to breed and are super shy.

Thanks for this. I'll keep my eyes out for someone selling a pair of julies, and if nothing turns up get a group of 4-6 and trade the extras away. I'll do some reading up on the multies, but was thinking maybe 8 to go with the single pair of julies?

Cowslips Warren posted:

I've become super fond of my panda garras too. Aka the foot spa fish.

Hah, you ever put them to work? Those freak my wife out for some reason, so now I'm tempted to get some. :getin:

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Spent the day preparing all the substrate crap for my upcoming move. Got my organic potting soil sifted free of most of the plant matter, got my sand washed, and I've got my safe-t-sorb washed and pre-soaking in fertilizer. While doing all of that I also smoked a pork shoulder :hellyeah:

Wound up buying a new 75 because the one I've been using was a $50 craigslist special and it's really pretty ragged. It still holds water and all but the trim is cracking all over and it's scratched up, plus the silicone is starting to get green around the edges with algae. Since I'll have roommates now instead of occasional houseguests I figure they'll appreciate a nicer looking setup externally to offset the impending snail infestation.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
Got the moss today. Super cool. I like the look a lot.

Thanks DemonR6

Errant Gin Monks fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Apr 12, 2016

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Cool! I thoroughly washed it but it wouldn't hurt if you did a second pass and inspection to remove anything that did not enjoy the trip.

peach moonshine
Jan 18, 2015
Things are going well with my betta. The first week was tough, but he's real active now. I also got a nerite snail. Neither one seems to realize the other exists, so everyone's happy. I'm happy with them, too.

The Fluval Chi's included filter is still working, but I'm tired of taking it out whenever I need to get in the tank. I'd also like to have more viewing area from the top. So I'm replacing it this week.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

demonR6 posted:

Cool! I thoroughly washed it but it wouldn't hurt if you did a second pass and inspection to remove anything that did not enjoy the trip.

I did a light wash and separated some strands to go into the different tanks. I put all the loose material and strands into the pond outside to hopefully help compete with the drat hair algae.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
So I'm fishless cycling (quite succesfully) and I have a question before I meticulously plan out fish population; I have a 180L tank but after substrate, background, filter unit, decoration there is only 120L of actual water in there (I measured). When planning, do you stock this as a 120 or 180L tank?

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

As far as I can tell, aqadvisors stocking level calculator only pays attention to the footprint of the tank not the volume or height and that makes sense to me. It is a better measure of oxygen exchange capacity (ie surface area of the water) and how much "leg room" fish have for swimming around rather than the inch per gallon method. Of course vertical space does matter too, for discus or angels or other tall fish, or if you want tall plants etc. Give aqadvisor.com a go, its a good conservative starting point. You can change it to metric to suit your region, chuck your filter info in and guess what kind of fish you might want.

peach moonshine
Jan 18, 2015
I'm picking up my new filter tonight, and I want to avoid a cycling disaster when I switch over from the old one. Is it enough to place media from the older filter into the new filter or do I need to run both filters for a week? I can run both if it's necessary, though I'd prefer not to because I'd have to hack up the old lid to make them both fit.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

peach moonshine posted:

I'm picking up my new filter tonight, and I want to avoid a cycling disaster when I switch over from the old one. Is it enough to place media from the older filter into the new filter or do I need to run both filters for a week? I can run both if it's necessary, though I'd prefer not to because I'd have to hack up the old lid to make them both fit.

If you put all of the media from your current filter into the new one you should be fine.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013
I tried out a CO2 setup, but I think I might have overtightened the regulator valve. Now it won't tighten properly. How screwed am I?

ragzilla
Sep 9, 2005
don't ask me, i only work here

Dogwood Fleet posted:

I tried out a CO2 setup, but I think I might have overtightened the regulator valve. Now it won't tighten properly. How screwed am I?

Tightens too far, or not far enough? If it has an O-ring you may have crushed it, if not you may have stripped the threads which is a bit more difficult to fix.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

ragzilla posted:

Tightens too far, or not far enough? If it has an O-ring you may have crushed it, if not you may have stripped the threads which is a bit more difficult to fix.

Not far enough. It just spins.

I got this. It looked like it would be relatively in expensive and east to set up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Kinbote
Feb 27, 2016
Three months ago I bought a pair of dwarf gouramis.my tank is 400 litres stocked with a pair of apistos cacatoides some candy cane/ornate tetra heavily planted.PH 6.9 0/0/10 as of today.was worked about my apisto male being a bully but he was ok with the gouramis.After about month my male Apisto had a really bad eye injury,it literally look like his eye popped out.I treated it with melifix and his eye returned to normal size but he was blind in that eye.
Two weeks later my male gourami had a sore on his side,began treatment with melifix but he died 3 days later.
After he died my male Apistos went totally blind and past away.Then 3 weeks later my female apisto was lethagric,lying on the bottom then died.After she died my female gouramis developed sores on her mouth and sides and she died 3 weeks later.

I have no clue what happened my candy canes and pleco were fine during this and my PH was stable,I do a WC once a week 40%.The trouble started when I bought the gouramis.Any ideas?

Lord Kinbote fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Apr 17, 2016