Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

I do really like the wider bezel on the right since that's where I usually grip e-readers to hold. Hoping Kobo comes out with a similar design. Oh neat, just read the specs and it's lefty friendly too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

That thing looks great. Makes me think about switching from reading on a tablet...

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future
Assuming you keep the thing in the (included) case all the time, it kind of defeats the purpose of the grip. Looks like it fits in flush. Still no idea if this is supposed to replace the paperwhite or the voyage.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I may snag this. I'm still using a PW1 and battery seems to be slowly dying.

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future

Endless Mike posted:

I may snag this. I'm still using a PW1 and battery seems to be slowly dying.

I went to use my Kindle Keyboard the other day and found that the battery would not take a charge, so I figure it's time to upgrade. I was going to go ahead and grab a voyage because I really like the physical buttons, but now I am anxious to see this new thing officially announced.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
Do they still do that trade in old broke kindles promo for a discount on a new one? Because I dropped my old kindle today :(

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Just ordered an Oasis from Amazon, to be released April 27.

http://www.amazon.com/New-Leather-Charging-High-Resolution-Includes/dp/B00REQKWGA?ie=UTF8&ref_=ods_gw_d_h1_eink_os_prod

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
$289 and the same panel as the Voyage? Hmm, I think the refurb Voyage for $152 is a better idea...am I wrong here?

Edit: I have a $20 kindle trade-in credit on my account. It applies to any new (not refurb'd) Kindle.

Doesn't apply to the Oasis. Ok.

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Apr 13, 2016

secret volcano lair
Oct 23, 2005

Man I was totally on board with that design but $300?

You'd think they would at least cut out the "special offers" crap when they're charging THAT much for a single-use reader

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

Eagerly awaiting the 2017 Kindle "Shangri-La" with the same tech in another form factor for $399.

It seems compared to the early rumors it's also neither water-proof nor audio-enabled.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

hotsauce posted:

$289 and the same panel as the Voyage? Hmm, I think the refurb Voyage for $152 is a better idea...am I wrong here?

Edit: I have a $20 kindle trade-in credit on my account. It applies to any new (not refurb'd) Kindle.

Doesn't apply to the Oasis. Ok.

Yeah I have a voyage and it's great, and $152 for one is even better.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Since it doesn't look like it has the glass front like the Voyage I was expecting it to fit in a middle slot between the PW and Voyage, not a new top tier. No thanks.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

A new top tier without any noticeable perks also, besides it's thinner. I like the form factor. but even Kobo has the varying screen sizes and a waterproof device to distinguish their top tier (which by the way tops out at $180)

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
So no adaptive light? Weird

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

wolrah posted:

Since it doesn't look like it has the glass front like the Voyage I was expecting it to fit in a middle slot between the PW and Voyage, not a new top tier. No thanks.

It has the same design:

Unlike reflective tablet and smartphone screens, the micro-etched glass screen is crafted to eliminate glare and feel like paper to the touch.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

hotsauce posted:

It has the same design:

Unlike reflective tablet and smartphone screens, the micro-etched glass screen is crafted to eliminate glare and feel like paper to the touch.

Interesting, the Voyage always seemed to look glossier in promo shots in the past where the Oasis appears a lot more matte like the older models.

I guess if you were considering a Voyage with the official leather case you're pretty much at the same price as the Oasis. I think the official case is hilariously overpriced and don't really care for cases anyways so that doesn't sell it to me, but obviously people buy 'em so I'm sure this will get a bunch of that market.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

$290?? :lol:

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Snagged a refurb Voyage and bear motion slip case. Works for me. The oasis is a confusing product at it's price-point, IMO.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
What in the world? Why is this so expensive? It's a thinner paperwhite with a new cover and weird form factor, no?

-and I guess longer battery life but $300? Get the gently caress outta here Amazon.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
If this causes a Voyage price drop I might trade in and get a refurbed one.

e: Oh poo poo, no trade-ins in the UK.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

I always thought the Voyage was a bit too expensive, but it makes sense as a premium option for someone who doesn't mind paying a bit more for what's probably the nicest ereader. The Oasis price makes no sense to me.

Edit: Christ, price in GBP makes it even worse!

Junkenstein fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Apr 13, 2016

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Jeff Bozos is hilariously bad at this.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

That's a hilarious price, and with special offers. Good lord. I don't even think I paid $300 for every book I currently own, digital or otherwise. And they don't compile usage statistics or try to actively sell me other things.

What's the strategy here? Make the other Kindles look cheaper by comparison and give the new one an Apple Watch elite kinda glow about it?

taco_fox
Dec 14, 2005

Wow, gently caress that price. I just want a new Kindle with buttons. My old second gen's battery is starting to crap out

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

taco_fox posted:

Wow, gently caress that price. I just want a new Kindle with buttons. My old second gen's battery is starting to crap out

So get a Voyage, especially with that great deal on refurbished ones where they cost $152: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...rd_i=8759467011

I mean hell, the second gen Kindle you have now cost $350 when it was new.

doctorfrog posted:

What's the strategy here? Make the other Kindles look cheaper by comparison and give the new one an Apple Watch elite kinda glow about it?

I think it's more that they want at least one new Kindle product a year, and there aren't any screen improvements available that would justify updating their existing models. So why not come up with something goofy to sell in low volumes?

I mean sure what they should really do is put out a new Kindle DX with lighting and the Voyage-quality screen, but they don't seem to want to do that.

taco_fox
Dec 14, 2005

I said I wanted buttons, fishmech!

also, I only paid $259 new for my second gen. They lowered the price six months after it came out when they realized how overpriced it was

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

taco_fox posted:

I said I wanted buttons, fishmech!

also, I only paid $259 new for my second gen. They lowered the price six months after it came out when they realized how overpriced it was

It has page turn buttons! They work great.

Also the $350 original Kindle 2 price was a steal compared to my original Kindle's $400 price. :colbert: Or the Sony Readers of the time which were around $500.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
Hahaha, it's $380 for a fully specced out Oasis (3g, +70, no special offers +20)

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
£330. Jesus loving Christ.

letthemreadprose
May 1, 2012

I’ve always been a huge fan of the Kindle line, starting with the original (full-price) gen 1 Kindle all the way up to my current release-day Voyager, so I’m 100% the target audience … and yet I cannot think of a single reason to buy this.  Maybe if you are the sort of person who goes hiking in the Amazon for months and doesn’t expect to have access to electrical outlets?  And it’s not even waterproof!

I suppose they’re at the point where everyone who wants a Kindle already has one, and there’s not any ereader “must haves” barring foldable eink, a good color eink display, or a giant DX screen with high PPI/backlighting, but this feels incredibly ‘meh’ on top of the ridiculous price.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
How does the oasis work for lefties? :pwn:

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Avocados posted:

Flip it around, screen rotates.

Same, really.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Avocados posted:

You can flip it.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

That was my thought as well. I thought it would have been $239-250 since they were including the case. $290 with no audio playback is a bridge too far.

Also thought it was funny how they buried the fact that the included case actually makes it heavier than the Paperwhite.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Apr 13, 2016

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Can you imagine the margins on this thing? Reach into the 300ppi panel parts bin, snap it together. Design a battery case.

Twice the price. I know they are a for profit enterprise, but this is a bit too much of a Wall Street darling, IMO.

If it had an improved panel with "f.lux" style lighting (warmer Kelvin for night) or something else compelling, I'd bite. Just feels like a wedge paperwhite/voyage to me.

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Apr 13, 2016

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

I guess I'll take the plunge. Slightly better lighting, the return of actual page turn buttons and the included case put it at a little better for me then just picking up a voyage + case at close to the same price.

It's not super exciting, but will be a huge upgrade from my kindle keyboard.

If I already had a voyage though I can't imagine buying this.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

hotsauce posted:

Can you imagine the margins on this thing? Reach into the 300ppi panel parts bin, snap it together. Design a battery case.

Twice the price. I know they are a for profit enterprise, but this is a bit too much of a Wall Street darling, IMO.

If it had an improved panel with "f.lux" style lighting (warmer Kelvin for night) or something else compelling, I'd bite. Just feels like a wedge paperwhite/voyage to me.

Kindle Paperweight?

E Ink development seems to have slowed to a halt. I'd like deeper blacks and much faster screen response before upgrading from my Voyage.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Kindle Paperweight?

E Ink development seems to have slowed to a halt. I'd like deeper blacks and much faster screen response before upgrading from my Voyage.

It really hasn't slowed at all. It's proceeding about the speed it ever did.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Kindle Paperweight?

If you believe the rumors, Amazon's going to move over to Liquavista (a company they apparently bought from Samsung in 2013) screens within the next two generation of ereaders. Maybe the sticker shock of this is a test for that.

- edit

quote:

I saw and tried out the device in person and there are so many design changes, it’s hard to know where to begin. First of all, the 6-inch screen is close to square. Second of all, it no longer sits in the center of the device. And thirdly, the screen is now an insane 3.4-mm thick. Yes, that is as thin as you think it is.

The rest of the body, though, where you hold it, is considerably thicker. It houses the e-reader’s CPU, storage and battery. Amazon’s Oasis e-reader even marks the return of buttons to the design, but more on that later.

The body, which even at its thinnest point feels quite rigid, is made of an electroplated polymer (more accurately, it’s plastic, clad in metal, clad in a plastic finish). Polymer is basically a pretty stiff, but still bendable plastic. The electroplating is what adds the strength and considerably stiffens the body. I had trouble bending the chassis of a deconstructed reader.

Even with that metal cladding, the entire reader weighs just 4.6 ounces, the majority of which is in the grip side, making it, ultimately, quite comfortable to hold. Plus, those buttons, which you can use to advance and turn back pages fall nicely under your thumb (you can also reprogram them, if you like). A built-in accelerometer flips the screen so you can switch the grip from your right or left hand.

While the reader looks completely sealed, it, sadly, is not waterproof.

Screen time
The screen looks both brighter and sharper than what I’d seen before, even on Amazon’s high-end Voyage reader. However, that was a bit of an optical illusion. There’s still just 300 ppi in the screen (same as you'd find in the Kindle Voyage), but Amazon told me the white gamut is wider and, more importantly, the lighting and screen refraction is brand new.

Because of the placement of the grip, the lighting now flows in through the side and is spread evenly over the screen by something Amazon called a “cylindrical refractive pattern.” What I noticed is that, even at its brightest, I could not see the actual LEDs (of which there are now 60% more of them) in the edge. In all previous Kindles with built-in lighting, which flows over the top of the E-Ink screen, I could always see the LEDs.

The other reason the screen looks so good is that there is so little distance between the E-ink and the glass surface; it almost feels like you’re touching the print…er…E-ink.'

Amazon also changed up the glass covering and explained to me that they made the decision to chemically strengthen the glass after it was cut down to size. Typically, glass coverings for touch devices are strengthened while they’re still part of a huge sheet of glass. The cutting down to size for small devices, Amazon claims, leaves rougher edges and weak spots. Oasis’s display is also super responsive. I used standard page turn swipes and noted that the pages changed quickly and without flashing.

Lifetime
Even with all those design changes, the Kindle Oasis can still manage, according to Amazon, two weeks of battery life. However, this Kindle e-reader is the first to ship with its own cover (available in three different colors). In this case, it’s more than just protection, the cover includes a backup battery capable of adding a claimed seven additional weeks of battery life to the Oasis. That's 9 weeks of battery life.

The case battery is designed to marry perfectly with the Oasis grip, which has a small set of connectors visible on the inside edge. The Oasis slides into place and stays in place with magnets. Together, the battery, grip and display make one thick slab that encloses neatly behind the leather cover. Even with the case, the package still feels relatively light.

What you won’t see in the Kindle Oasis is any sign of Alexa. This is not a device you talk to or that talks back. It’s about reading — a lot — and that’s it.

http://mashable.com/2016/04/13/amazon-kindle-oasis/#P1RzrmZ3PgqP

- edit 2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOh5JRrHjZQ

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Apr 13, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Evidently the merlot cover is popular, June shipping date.

Don't judge me, I recently lost my paperwhite on a plane and have been waiting for the "Voyage 2" announcement. Debating on this and the Voyage now.