Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!

Vasler posted:

Overall I'm enjoying this game but the lack of keys is killing the game for me.

I feel like the key system doesn't make much sense. If the intent is for players to budget their keys and only open the best chests, then you're asking players to run the whole map, then teleport and backtrack around to open chests. If RR is meant to discourage that behavior, then why have chests encourage it? If the intent is to get players to make decisions, then they ought to know what their choices might do for them. If I'm picking between two chests and a door somewhere, it's not like I have enough information to make a good decision: I'm just guessing. If the intent is to limit how much stuff a person tends to get, then just put a hard limit on how many chests spawn or something. Unless I'm missing something, I'm not convinced that the key system really does anything particularly great, beyond contribute to the "snowball effect" thing. And even in that case, a lack of hearts and ammo would probably be sufficient to bring most runs to an end.

It might also be nice if the game was more aware of the player's status, and gave rewards accordingly. If I'm on the first level, and I only have the starter gun, don't give me ammo boxes. If I just cleared the whole level without getting hit (not that it happens often), don't give me hearts. Let me have things that I will find useful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away
I keep playing this game expecting it to evolve and get better but it is always frustratingly the same. I've got some of the other NPC's hanging around the breach and unlocked some of the shop guns. Is this it or is there some sort of turn around?

(this game is no Isaac)

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Sillybones posted:

I keep playing this game expecting it to evolve and get better but it is always frustratingly the same. I've got some of the other NPC's hanging around the breach and unlocked some of the shop guns. Is this it or is there some sort of turn around?

(this game is no Isaac)

Unlocks don't really change the style of gameplay, they just add more stuff. If the game isn't fun for you then I don't think there's gonna be some magic turning point where it starts to be.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I find this game much more fun than Isaac myself, mostly because you can't find one item that let's you surf through the entire game holding down one button.
You get some dry runs where you don't find any keys or ammo (like you also do in Isaac), but I find that to be the exception rather than the rule.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
any game that lets you aim in more than four directions is already better than isaac

Dunk Bot 3000
Mar 19, 2009

Roluth posted:

Dev did a small Q&A on the drop system. Here's the important bits.

I think I've found the source of ammo problems. It's a flat % chance per room to drop alongside any other drops, regardless of coolness.

So it's not true that spending ammo to clear rooms makes ammo more likely to drop? You can use the sidearm and have the same chance then?

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

I tried the infinite keys cheat for a few runs and it does make the game more fun. It does cause the Marine to become by far the best character though, which I'm not such a huge fan of. The Pilot's lockpick and the Hunter's dog aren't anywhere near as valuable when you can open everything no matter what.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
what needs to be done is ammo pickups need to be like four times as common but only refill 25% ammo

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Am I missing something with the Camera or is it garbage? Does it auto-reveal secret rooms or something?

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Power of Pecota posted:

Am I missing something with the Camera or is it garbage? Does it auto-reveal secret rooms or something?

the sparkles are random and dont do much, but getting close enough to get enemies in the flash radius deals huge damage

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Power of Pecota posted:

it hits everything in the room no matter where they/you are

being able to kill things from perfect safety is pretty cool

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Found the ultimate gun.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Broken Cog posted:

Found the ultimate gun.

I'll take four!

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
PSA Gunther is the best gun in the game. Got to bullet hell for the first time and died on the final boss, Pig died for me.

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014
nice

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I prefer this over Isaac because the art style and theme of the game is a lot better- that and the actual mechanics are solid as all hell.

I'd take "wacky faced bullets" over "Lol gross poop and pee monsters" any day of the week.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Finished the level 5 elevator today, Boss Rush sure is something?

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I prefer this over Isaac because the art style and theme of the game is a lot better- that and the actual mechanics are solid as all hell.

I'd take "wacky faced bullets" over "Lol gross poop and pee monsters" any day of the week.

No arguments there; the game is very smooth, there's a lot of love in the art and world, and I never have gotten frustrated at the controls or hitboxes of anything. It's part of why I'm so frustrated at all the small things that keep me from fully enjoying it.

I'll probably just hook Cheat Engine up for unlimited ammo or credits (for buying Sorceress runs constantly) if the devs feel like this is the balance they want.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
They've already made some tweaks, and I'll be very surprised if they don't take steps to iron out the extreme edges of the RNG a little.

Speaking of the tweaks they've made, Treadnought seems just about perfect now. Nerfing its main cannon a bit and stripping its adds of their leading-shot AI seems to have brought it enormously more in line with the other bosses for its level; I fought it the other night and actually managed to flawless it, but only after a fairly tense and challenging fight with a couple of close calls (which is just right imo).

e: I think I figured out what people find so frustrating about the High Priest. He doesn't spawn bullets inside you, but the bullets that spawn from the walls can be really hard to avoid if you're not sticking to the middle of the room. Which would be fine, if it weren't for the fact that the High Priest a) is entirely willing to use his little dash thingy to bodyslam you, and b) occasionally parks in the middle of the room to turn everything around him into bullets. The fight has a constant pattern that strongly encourages avoiding the walls, but a couple of patterns that will gently caress you up if you're not willing to get near the walls to maintain a healthy distance.

Personally, I think it would be fine if the walls only shot bullets while the High Priest was at the outside edge of the arena. That way, you could retreat to the outside when he's in the middle, and move to the middle when he gets near the walls. It'd still be a hard as gently caress fight, but it would probably feel a lot more fair.

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Apr 13, 2016

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Perfected Kill Pillars!

gently caress yeah beholdster w/high power metronome on a multi-target boss :getin:

I shouldn't have died to this pattern :frog:

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Rebinding the slo-mo to mouse 4 is making a world of difference.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
THIS loving TV IS DRIVING ME CRAZY gently caress.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Man, I would have had the Lead god Achievement if I hadn't gotten High Priest on floor 4. I swear, whenever I get him he decides do that awful darkness attack every other action.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Apr 13, 2016

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Is there a table showing every gun and the damage it does?

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
At least I hope nobody died like this yet.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
Please shut up about cheating for keys because I play on PS4 and you're all making me cry.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Dear devs: Stop loving locking up shops so they require a key. The most unfair bullshit.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

FrickenMoron posted:

Dear devs: Stop loving locking up shops so they require a key. The most unfair bullshit.

Yeah this is a really dumb thing :(

FrickenMoron posted:

Play on PC then :shobon:

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

poemdexter posted:

Please shut up about cheating for keys because I play on PS4 and you're all making me cry.

poemdexter posted:

I have around 20 deaths so far and have killed the past with 3 of the 4 characters. If you play it like a bullet hell game and take your time and dodge correctly and learn patterns, you're fine. I never open chests in first floor because I always try for the secret floor and don't have issues doing no hit runs in bosses and the starter gun is usually good enough for the first two chambers.

The solution is get good.

Sounds like this advice doesn't actually fix the game's problems, who'd have thought

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Devs please make the game easier tia

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

NotAnArtist posted:

Devs please make the game easier tia

This but kinda unironically. It's nice that this game as some solid challenge to it, but I've gotten to the 4th floor maybe twice in 15 hours.

To come back to BOI comparisons: Something that's kinda making this game fall flat in a way for me is a lack of item synergies. On the average run it feels like most of the stuff I get are just guns, guns that don't really interact or modify one another. I haven't really had a "interesting combo" - just once in awhile I'll get an interesting gun which I end up not/barely using because I feel like I should save it for a boss. It really doesn't feel like there's any/much snowballing in this game, outside of the game snowballing against you?

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Digirat posted:

Sounds like this advice doesn't actually fix the game's problems, who'd have thought

I do wish keys were a little more plentiful. They are number 1 priority when visiting shops. I swap guns regularly in rooms depending on the situation so that I spend ammo wisely and never got to the dragun with all empty weapons. I would like the game to be more action oriented and just blast away with my biggest gun every room, but I think the game pulls more from roguelikes where resource management is key (pun intended).

I think this sorta goes hand in hand with someone's previous comment that the game is slow. It definitely slows down the game when you're managing ammo and keys and backtracking to chests. I notice most of my runs that end at dragun take around 50 minutes. This is a huge difference between Nuclear Throne's action oriented gameplay and maybe even Binding Of Isaac (without the backtracking).

poemdexter fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Apr 13, 2016

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Is it just me, or does the High Priest show up way less than any other floor boss? I haven't seen that guy once and I've been to the end of the Hollow like 7 times.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

lmfao they still don't have a guaranteed key drop per floor? A+ devs

poemdexter posted:

sounds like you need...to git gud :smug:

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Power of Pecota posted:

Is it just me, or does the High Priest show up way less than any other floor boss? I haven't seen that guy once and I've been to the end of the Hollow like 7 times.

Anecdotal, but I feel this way too. It's the worst boss out of the three in my opinion so I'm fine with it being rare. Kill pillars aren't too bad except when they are taking up 50% of the screen and jumping at you while spraying bullets. Wallmonger is super easy if you stay on one side and dodge forward when he does the wave of bullets.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

sounds like you need...to git gud :smug:

A worthy goal we should all strive for. :v:

Jetamo
Nov 8, 2012

alright.

alright, mate.
Just do it like Isaac, and make it so the first two chests on the first floor don't require a key. Then you still have the option of buying a key for the Oubliette and onward, etc.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

poemdexter posted:

I do wish keys were a little more plentiful. They are number 1 priority when visiting shops. I swap guns regularly in rooms depending on the situation so that I spend ammo wisely and never got to the dragun with all empty weapons. I would like the game to be more action oriented and just blast away with my biggest gun every room, but I think the game pulls more from roguelikes where resource management is key (pun intended).

I think this sorta goes hand in hand with someone's previous comment that the game is slow. It definitely slows down the game when you're managing ammo and keys and backtracking to chests. I notice most of my runs that end at dragun take around 50 minutes. This is a huge difference between Nuclear Throne's action oriented gameplay and maybe even Binding Of Isaac (without the backtracking).

How does "swapping guns regularly" cause you to spend significantly less ammo? I assume people aren't just wasting all their ammo shooting into the wall when they're not swapping guns. If anything, not swapping is the better strat since you'll be able to make better use of the ammo boxes that don't drop.

Unless you're talking about plinking away with your rinkydink pistol.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Trick Question posted:

How does "swapping guns regularly" cause you to spend significantly less ammo? I assume people aren't just wasting all their ammo shooting into the wall when they're not swapping guns. If anything, not swapping is the better strat since you'll be able to make better use of the ammo boxes that don't drop.

Unless you're talking about plinking away with your rinkydink pistol.

Like not spending shotgun ammo against a single enemy or if there's only one regular bullet enemy left, pull out the infinite ammo pistol. I generally swap to infinite ammo pistol to finish things off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

That sounds like it gets tedious.