Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Koopa Kid posted:

The Round 1 video of a Soontir/Carnor list just kinda flying head on into a BBY list whose gimmicks all ignore evade dice more or less was pretty funny.

Bombs and autoblasters for everyone!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Kai Tave posted:

Bombs and autoblasters for everyone!

"Chopper" (37)
Fire-Control System (2)
Autoblaster Turret (2)
"Zeb" Orrelios (1)
Sabine Wren (2)
Thermal Detonators (3)

Gray Squadron Pilot (20)
Autoblaster Turret (2)
Extra Munitions (2)
Bomb Loadout (0)
Seismic Charges (2)

Gray Squadron Pilot (20)
Autoblaster Turret (2)
Extra Munitions (2)
Bomb Loadout (0)
Seismic Charges (2)

Total: 99

View in Yet Another Squad Builder

:v: A tempting list for the next Store Championship I'm going to on Saturday

BOGO LOAD
Jul 1, 2004

"You know I always had trouble really chewing the fat with my pops. Just listen to him..."

Endman posted:

Just watching the Stele Enterprises recorded stream of the Roanoke tournament.

I take everything back. The worst crime committed at this tournament is the fact that everyone and his dog was playing Palpatine + Aces and holy poo poo is it the most boring thing ever.

My eyes glazed over during the semi-final round with the two brothers playing Palpmobile + Aces against eachother.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Endman posted:

"Chopper" (37)
Fire-Control System (2)
Autoblaster Turret (2)
"Zeb" Orrelios (1)
Sabine Wren (2)
Thermal Detonators (3)

Gray Squadron Pilot (20)
Autoblaster Turret (2)
Extra Munitions (2)
Bomb Loadout (0)
Seismic Charges (2)

Gray Squadron Pilot (20)
Autoblaster Turret (2)
Extra Munitions (2)
Bomb Loadout (0)
Seismic Charges (2)

Total: 99

View in Yet Another Squad Builder

:v: A tempting list for the next Store Championship I'm going to on Saturday

You're a man after my own heart. An Endman after my own heart, if you will.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Koopa Kid posted:

The Round 1 video of a Soontir/Carnor list just kinda flying head on into a BBY list whose gimmicks all ignore evade dice more or less was pretty funny.

Link plz.

BOGO LOAD
Jul 1, 2004

"You know I always had trouble really chewing the fat with my pops. Just listen to him..."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsGOmC_PIsI

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

:getin:

Still gently caress palp aces at this point though.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

kingcom posted:

:getin:

Still gently caress palp aces at this point though.

Eh, they're so commonplace I've pretty much grown used to them at this point.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Kai Tave posted:

Eh, they're so commonplace I've pretty much grown used to them at this point.

Thats mostly why i say it. I need practice against other lists :negative:

I still dont have my TLT y-wing blob game at any where near a good stage. Guess I dont have to worry about it much lol.

EdBlackadder
Apr 8, 2009
Lipstick Apathy

Fat Samurai posted:

I have some extra money coming and I'm shopping around for Wave 8. Imperial Veterans isn't out yet, right?

Eurogoons, do you know any European online shop with cheap/free shipping and good prices? I'm used to bookrepository, but I don't see the latest stuff there.

From a couple of pages back. Not sure about continental Europe but in the UK Chaos Cards are alright and have free shipping at about £30.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I mean, 90% of my practice games have been against turret pancakes of some stripe, Palp aces are almost a refreshing change at this point.

Probably gonna go up to 99 points and try Thermal Detonators out in my XXY list instead of Seismic Charges sometime just to see if the added stress appreciably helps. Against things like Soontir and non-Unhinged Jumpmasters it seems like it could come in handy.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Kai Tave posted:

You're a man after my own heart. An Endman after my own heart, if you will.

Bombs are a really unexplored medium for me. I had a couple in my Regionals list last year and just never used them because I forgot they were there :v:

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Endman posted:

Bombs are a really unexplored medium for me. I had a couple in my Regionals list last year and just never used them because I forgot they were there :v:

See, this is maybe the biggest strength of bombs...the people you're playing against tend to forget about them as well. Beyond bringing nothing but Wave One Rebels to the table, I've gotten a number of surprised comments about the fact that I run a Y-Wing with bombs, and yet it's a rare game when I don't tag at least one or two ships for a free point of damage, and in X-Wing a point or two of damage can be a huge leg up. The key is to plan your own movements around bombs you intend to drop, nothing will make you feel dumber than dropping a bomb and then moving one of your own ships onto it.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Kai Tave posted:

See, this is maybe the biggest strength of bombs...the people you're playing against tend to forget about them as well. Beyond bringing nothing but Wave One Rebels to the table, I've gotten a number of surprised comments about the fact that I run a Y-Wing with bombs, and yet it's a rare game when I don't tag at least one or two ships for a free point of damage, and in X-Wing a point or two of damage can be a huge leg up. The key is to plan your own movements around bombs you intend to drop, nothing will make you feel dumber than dropping a bomb and then moving one of your own ships onto it.

At a recent tournament a guy came at me with Deathrain, an Experimental Interface, and proximity mines. Naturally I flew at him trying to set up an alpha strike and he promptly boosted up, used EI, and smashed a mine in my face.

I was like 'huh, you...obviously can do that, and yet I did not think of it at all.'

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Kai Tave posted:

I can completely understand this. I havn't seen bombs used in so long I'm pretty sure my brain would just shut down trying to figure out what youre doing with them.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Literally one of the most satisfying moments was having one of my opponents try to run Dutch down in a badly damaged Jumpmaster because he figured that I was just going to be slow-rolling in a circle and he could loiter in the donut hole and score some free hits, whereupon I dropped a seismic charge and lazily flew off. One bomb later, scratch one Jumpmaster.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utFRqsT61-k

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

We had a Store Championship this past weekend, I was really pleased about the variety in lists. Only two palpaces, and those were the only two almost identical lists.

http://lists.starwarsclubhouse.com/get_tourney_details?tourney_id=1503

We even had a Decimator in top 4! And two TIE Bombers in the tournament! :captainpop:

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Goon project:

Come up with a sexual position worthy of the name "Lithuanian Stress Hog."

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Apr 13, 2016

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Seriously, the space battles in Eps 1-3 and the ship designs weren't actually bad, in some cases they werte really quite good.

Just a shame about the lovely writing.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
Are we still posting Palp Aces hate lists?

VT-49 Decimator: · Rear Admiral Chiraneau (46)
Veteran Instincts (1)
Extra Munitions (2)
Proton Bombs (5)
Engine Upgrade (4)
Bombardier (1)
· Rebel Captive (3)
· Darth Vader (3)
TIE Avanced Prototype: · The Inquisitor (25)
Push The Limit (3)
Proton Rockets (3)
Autothrusters (2)
TIE/v1 (1)

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
If you want to bring palp ace hate just bring a patrol leader with vader and gunner.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Panzeh posted:

If you want to bring palp ace hate just bring a patrol leader with vader and gunner.

The old saw of VI Chiraneau/Palp/Gunner/Engine with VI Vader/ATC/Engine will also thoroughly murder palpaces. All the defensive mods in the world can't easily stand up to 3 attacks averageing four good results each per round. On the same dude.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

General Battuta posted:

At a recent tournament a guy came at me with Deathrain, an Experimental Interface, and proximity mines. Naturally I flew at him trying to set up an alpha strike and he promptly boosted up, used EI, and smashed a mine in my face.

I was like 'huh, you...obviously can do that, and yet I did not think of it at all.'

The pro version of this is with Conner Net (generally no EI needed), to then pounce on the disabled ship with an ace. I'm super tempted to run Deathrain + 2 aces. But with Triple Jump out there, I don't know that it's viable at all any longer.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The Gate posted:

The pro version of this is with Conner Net (generally no EI needed), to then pounce on the disabled ship with an ace. I'm super tempted to run Deathrain + 2 aces. But with Triple Jump out there, I don't know that it's viable at all any longer.

EI Deathrain ought to be able to Conner Net Jumpmasters from out of range in one round reliably, which is hilarious.

E: actually EI/Waffle Deathrain to Conner them one round, then k-turn boost conner second round.

thespaceinvader fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Apr 13, 2016

Endman
May 18, 2010

thespaceinvader posted:

EI Deathrain ought to be able to Conner Net Jumpmasters from out of range in one round reliably, which is hilarious.

E: actually EI/Waffle Deathrain to Conner them one round, then k-turn boost conner second round.

That sounds positively hideous. I love it!

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
Well, you'd be stressed and unable to K-turn, and even if you could you'd be stressed from the K-turn and unable to boost or drop the bomb.

But turn 2 the jump would be ionized. Turn 1 nothing happens because it moves before Deathrain and would already have taken actions. I mean, it would take 1 damage I guess, buuuut eh.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

thespaceinvader posted:

Doesn't EI give a stress? How are you K-Turning if you're stressed?

And even if you aren't, the K-turn will stress you. Can't boost OR 'net after a K-Turn.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
Baffle to take the stress as damage.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

hoiyes posted:

Baffle to take the stress as damage.

Is that what he meant by "Waffle"? :)

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

ConfusedUs posted:

Is that what he meant by "Waffle"? :)

Yes Electronic Waffles to feed to your Guidance Chimps.

E: and I actually wonder whether WaffleBomber might be a functional generic Punisher build. Kturn in front of enemy, drop conner net, 1 forward, net, 1 forward, net, 1 forward, net.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
Easily the most hilarious way to kill Soontir.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

thespaceinvader posted:

Seriously, the space battles in Eps 1-3 and the ship designs weren't actually bad, in some cases they werte really quite good.

Just a shame about the lovely writing.

Some of the ships are okay, but c'mon, Slave 1 hitting every molecule around Obi-wan's ship but his ship is hilariously awful.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Eimi posted:

Some of the ships are okay, but c'mon, Slave 1 hitting every molecule around Obi-wan's ship but his ship is hilariously awful.

Something something Force something.

I want a Jedi Interceptor in x-wing damnit those things loving ruled and were so loving fun in the Rogue Squadron games on GCN.

Especially the Seismic CHarges. TWWWWWONNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGGGG. Such a good noise.

Dulkor
Feb 28, 2009

I think the biggest problem the prequel ships have is, honestly, how do you even decide what faction gets what? Adding two more factions to cover the clone wars era feels like it would complicate the meta for very little gain, to boot.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

This was one of the few things I remembered fondly from AoTC, but man, that CGI has not aged well.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Also that they would all have to suck. Ships that predate modern craft by 30 years are not going to be better than modern craft.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

thespaceinvader posted:

Something something Force something.

I want a Jedi Interceptor in x-wing damnit those things loving ruled and were so loving fun in the Rogue Squadron games on GCN.

Especially the Seismic CHarges. TWWWWWONNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGGGG. Such a good noise.

I will say this about the prequels: the sound really was amazing throughout. Ben Burtt is a loving genius. I liked the writing a lot more in Ep. 7 but the sound wasn't anywhere near as good as the prequels. The scene that really stood out is the battle above Maz's castle. In the trailer, when they showed a T-70 blowing up a TIE/fo there was a very satisfying sound to the x-wing's cannons and the thump of the TIE exploding. In the film, the sound fell down really flat in that scene.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

Strobe posted:

Also that they would all have to suck. Ships that predate modern craft by 30 years are not going to be better than modern craft.

I don't think technology advances in the Star Wars universe like it does in our universe though. Hell, hyperdrives are like a 20,000 year old technology in Star Wars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Dulkor posted:

I think the biggest problem the prequel ships have is, honestly, how do you even decide what faction gets what? Adding two more factions to cover the clone wars era feels like it would complicate the meta for very little gain, to boot.

You'd have to have started the game up with different factions - it would have fit neatly into lightside, darkside, other, and could then have easily accommodated everything with minimal fuckery.

Strobe posted:

Eh, not so much. The Imperial ships are built down to a price in OT era, and are priced and function accordingly, whereas their republic-army and jedi predecessors were much higher end. And the Rebellion's ships were ragtag and crappy.

I think you could make them fit, but you might have to make them a bit cheaper and crappier than average - but the beauty of this game is that you can do that.

Equally, to put in a Jedi Interceptor, you make it fluffwise a fairly lovely ship with a totally amazing pilot to explain its good stats - i.e. Jedi are precognitive telekinetic supermen, of course they;re going to be good at this.

• Locked thread