Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

im permabanned ashen one hollowstomper58. i first got the darksign when i was about 12. by 14 i got really obsessed with the concept of “souls” and tried to channel them constantly, until my thought process got really bizarre and i would repeat things like “seek souls” and “take nourishment from these sovereignless souls” in my head for hours, and i would get really paranoid, start seeing phantoms in the corners of my eyes etc, basically going hollow. im now on antipsychotics. i always wondered what the kind of “insatiable hunger for souls” style of darksign bearers was all about; i think it’s the unconscious leaking in to the conscious, what jungian theory considered to be the cause of schizophrenic and schizotypal syptoms. i would advise all people who get the darksign to be careful because that likely means you have a predisposition to a going hollow. peace.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

There you go rubens, all your fault! You went on the wrong side of the car!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQ230TFlzqM

What the gently caress are these hitboxes? C'mon FROM.

Urthor
Jul 28, 2014

Etrips posted:

Is the channel hidden or something? I see a million The Division channels.

haha yeah

Dark Souls is righhht at the bottom, might need to get that fixed so it's alphabetical

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Vintersorg posted:

I gotta find this as I was disappointed you can only get this weapon AFTER beating Bloodborne.

Is this weapon deep into the game?

Not really, iirc I found one in the village

E. I don't really get the Katana love, is the bleed just broken for PVP or are people going after the dex scaling? I have been running around with the deep axe from the mimic chest and it out-DPSes the Katana by quite a bit even with the bleed proc.

Also, am I crazy or are titanite shards more rare this time arpund, with the bonuses from upgrading being larger as well? Perhaps I'm just used to Bloodborne but it seems like each upgrade is a relatively significant amount

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Apr 13, 2016

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

Irithyll is such a goddamn gorgeous area. My favorite in the game so far.

Vintersorg posted:

I gotta find this as I was disappointed you can only get this weapon AFTER beating Bloodborne.

Nah, it's pretty early on. When you get to a place with a lot of big spears, it's at a building past that. You'll know.

Karanas
Jul 17, 2011

Euuuuuuuugh

Vintersorg posted:

It's somewhere in the undead settlement, although I'll be damned if I can remember exactly where I found. I think I just kind of stumbled on it. I think I found it some time after the big bonfire love-in where you find Loretta's bone? Sorry I can't be of more help.

Edit: what the guy above is saying I guess.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Etrips posted:

Close everything, boot up DS4windows, go to settings, check the box "hide ds4 controller". Start the game

Ended up finding this elsewhere just a little after asking, controls right as rain now.

10 pages ago I know but thank you regardless. Plus maybe it'll help someone else with this same dumb issue. :v:

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
I've only played about three hours, decided to call it a night at the Curse-Rotted Greatwood. Feels much more open, I find the game play is smoother. My only little concern is that it's going to be too much castle, which was a big flaw of Bloodborne for me. I'm really optimistic about varied landscapes.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Sakurazuka posted:

Yeah I want to stun lock them to death not play baseball with them.

More or less. I mean it feels great (and hilarious) to watch them fly the first couple times...and every time after that if you manage to launch them off a ledge. But then you realize that if there's no convenient ledge you've lost control over the dog.

And Souls Dogs, even when they're some skeletal monstrosity, are spastic fuckers that have just as much a chance to leap past you as they are to bounce off your shields. Other than the horrifying model the only thing the Dark Souls III version has new (that I've noticed) is that sometimes they puke poison on you because that's what you do when you're a dog zombie.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Am I supposed to just run past the giant in the church? It feels like there should be a better way to get past him

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Thanks for scythe info! :)

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Popehoist posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQ230TFlzqM

Yeah I got grabbed when I was (visually) just out of an enemy's grasp. :darksouls:

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012
Not a huge fan of the areas in this game so far. High Wall and Settlement were good and fun but Road of Sacrifices/Farron Keep and Catacombs are both terrible. Tedious and ugly. The area after the Catacombs is nicer to look at but the enemies are a real pain to fight.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Am I supposed to just run past the giant in the church? It feels like there should be a better way to get past him

The frozen dog dude in the church basement? Well you can man up and kill him for his ice-sword. Or you can lure him back to the convenient hole in the ground that the elevator makes when it leaves and let gravity and Dark Souls pathing AI do its job.

Either way, free ice-sword.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Alkydere posted:

The frozen dog dude in the church basement? Well you can man up and kill him for his ice-sword. Or you can lure him back to the convenient hole in the ground that the elevator makes when it leaves and let gravity and Dark Souls pathing AI do its job.

Either way, free ice-sword.

Nah, you'll know what I mean when you get there

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

voltron lion force posted:

Its a crystal lizard, fyi

Ever since Squint's LP they will forever be Crystal Geckos.

Popehoist posted:

I tried the same thing. No idea what they were going for, especially after establishing you could shoot them down earlier.

BurntCornMuffin posted:

Honestly, though, the multiplayer features are a big part of what makes this game special. Summon some bros and join the Way of Blue is a much more fun way of dealing with them if you must cheese.

Out of curiosity, are blues getting any love in this game? I always thought it was a cool idea, despite being really badly implemented the last couple of times.

edit: gently caress you, bridge-repairing skeletons!

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

On the upper level? You can hit him in the hands when he tries to attack you, also, just make sure you survive all the way down there for his loot. I didn't, so no idea what he drops.

Or you can just run past him and fight him later.

Nuggan
Jul 17, 2006

Always rolling skulls.
I can't decide if I like the scythe or halbard better. The scythe is really fun with its wide swings so far, but I haven't tried it in PvP yet. The halbard was really good for poking people to death while they try to roll around me, or charging them off a cliff.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Undead Settlement is suddenly crashing the gently caress out on me for no discernible reason, not fun times.

I got most of the way through the area then randomly crashed while in another dude's world, start back up and crash after hitting a few random dudes, restart it one more time and then it crashes moments after walking a few feet.

Boomstick Quaid
Jan 28, 2009
Siegward isn't in the gotdang well. Well I guess it's over between us...

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Hot tip for faster crowtrading and access to a certain useful item

If you go outside the shrine to where that tree is kinda bent over next to the roof? Sprint at that tree to get lifted up then jump to the roof, you can land it with time, luck, and practice combined and just walk around back to the shrine for an Estus Shard in the rafters

I'm assuming you still need the key?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Dezztroy posted:

On the upper level? You can hit him in the hands when he tries to attack you, also, just make sure you survive all the way down there for his loot. I didn't, so no idea what he drops.

Or you can just run past him and fight him later.

Just fight him later. If you get between his feet he's completely harmless.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Oh my lord the stone greatarrows. :stonk:

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

I dodge-rolled through the crappy sludge until I was under his feet, then just chilled there smacking his heels with my club. Once you're directly under him it seems pretty easy to lock him in a left stomp/right stomp cycle, you just have to be careful not to get behind or in front of him. Reminds me a lot of the Last Giant fight in DSII, actually.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Captain Oblivious posted:

Just fight him later. If you get between his feet he's completely harmless.

What the loot he drops? I also died before picking it up

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Oh I don't get my souls back if I die to the arrows? They're not in the level anymore. Weird.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
I kind of want to make my scythe poison and bleed people

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
So someone mentioned this a few pages back but come on guys you do not fight every enemy on the way to the boss if you died to it the first time. You run past them. :shrug:

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

Man I just tried to go for the ultimate betrayal long con as a Purple Phantom, helped a guy through the whole area, he struggled all the way and ran out of estus right before we made it to the bonfire. I was all primed and ready to go, tossed the "I'm Sorry" carving at him and prepared to attack. Would have been the easiest kill of my life striking him down right there but I couldn't bring myself to do it, so I used the seperation crystal and peaced out. I'm not cut out for this business. :unsmith:

Which brings me to a question, can hosts not light bonfires if there's a purple phantom in their game? I know they can't rest at them but can they light em up?

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Annath posted:

I'm assuming you still need the key?

No, that's why it's faster access.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Dezztroy posted:

Not a huge fan of the areas in this game so far. High Wall and Settlement were good and fun but Road of Sacrifices/Farron Keep and Catacombs are both terrible. Tedious and ugly. The area after the Catacombs is nicer to look at but the enemies are a real pain to fight.

Most of the areas appear to be assuming that you're going to scumbag pull enemies one-by-one. There's simply no other explanation for the absurd level of mob density in Farron Keep. For all the griping people (myself included) did about the multiple strong enemy encounters in DS2, at least that game had Lifegems to compensate for multi-comboing groups of 3-4 dudes who take multiple hits to cleave down. This game just hurls packs of three goatmen who can take off half of your health by themselves and no outside method of healing beyond Miracles and limited Estus. The only sane option is to plink them with arrows to pull them over and kill them one-by-one as though we were back to playing Everquest.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I'm sorry abyss watchers, you're the newest worst Souls boss. You're absolute garbage and it's a shame you're not optional.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

turtlecrunch posted:

No, that's why it's faster access.

OK, awesome.

Now what precisely do I need to trade for my Lucatiel cosplay?

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Your Computer posted:

I'm sorry abyss watchers, you're the newest worst Souls boss. You're absolute garbage and it's a shame you're not optional.
you're Insane.

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

Mailer posted:

Out of curiosity, are blues getting any love in this game? I always thought it was a cool idea, despite being really badly implemented the last couple of times.

Seems pretty much like before except that the police tend to show up reliably within a minute.

With the on the fly covenant switching, the way of blue population might actually remain reasonably high enough after a year that being a cop will be worthwhile, keeping the police population high enough to sustain that level of response. That part is just conjecture, though.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Is there a Bleed infusion at all? I have an uncracked red orb now, and a few pale tongues, so I'm wanting to experiment a little with my build. Dual daggers are great but they don't have any inherent bleed ability.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

im permabanned ashen one hollowstomper58. i first got the darksign when i was about 12. by 14 i got really obsessed with the concept of “souls” and tried to channel them constantly, until my thought process got really bizarre and i would repeat things like “seek souls” and “take nourishment from these sovereignless souls” in my head for hours, and i would get really paranoid, start seeing phantoms in the corners of my eyes etc, basically going hollow. im now on antipsychotics. i always wondered what the kind of “insatiable hunger for souls” style of darksign bearers was all about; i think it’s the unconscious leaking in to the conscious, what jungian theory considered to be the cause of schizophrenic and schizotypal syptoms. i would advise all people who get the darksign to be careful because that likely means you have a predisposition to a going hollow. peace.

:same:

Nuggan
Jul 17, 2006

Always rolling skulls.

Bland posted:

Man I just tried to go for the ultimate betrayal long con as a Purple Phantom, helped a guy through the whole area, he struggled all the way and ran out of estus right before we made it to the bonfire. I was all primed and ready to go, tossed the "I'm Sorry" carving at him and prepared to attack. Would have been the easiest kill of my life striking him down right there but I couldn't bring myself to do it, so I used the seperation crystal and peaced out. I'm not cut out for this business. :unsmith:

Which brings me to a question, can hosts not light bonfires if there's a purple phantom in their game? I know they can't rest at them but can they light em up?

I always get immediately attached by the host :(

They should be able to light bonfires though.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

you're Insane.

Multi-mob boss fights are always the worst fights, and then they throw a really tough boss at you after that's done. I imagine he'd be loving awesome to fight alone, just cut out the first bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Well, two back-to-back invasions with guys in neutral position and no animations. No more MP for me for a bit.