Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Your Computer posted:

I'm sorry abyss watchers, you're the newest worst Souls boss. You're absolute garbage and it's a shame you're not optional.

I dunno how they hosed this up so bad. If you haven't built your character optimally by the time you get to them, get ready to co-op, because you need very solid DPS to even get past the first phase unless you are the King of Dodging. It's a worse version of DS2's Belfry Gargoyles, except you don't have the luxury of kiting them around while popping Lifegems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Your Computer posted:

Multi-mob boss fights are always the worst fights, and then they throw a really tough boss at you after that's done. I imagine he'd be loving awesome to fight alone, just cut out the first bullshit.

two of the mob members are on your side

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Vermain posted:

I dunno how they hosed this up so bad. If you haven't built your character optimally by the time you get to them, get ready to co-op, because you need very solid DPS to even get past the first phase unless you are the King of Dodging. It's a worse version of DS2's Belfry Gargoyles, except you don't have the luxury of kiting them around while popping Lifegems.

You guys know they fight each other right?

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

voltron lion force posted:

You guys know they fight each other right?

Yes.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

voltron lion force posted:

What the loot he drops? I also died before picking it up

Dung pies and a large titanite shard

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012
I wish the game told you what the common level/upgrade range for any given zone was. I want to know if I'm overleveled or not.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!
Abyss Watchers are awesome. I started getting attacked by another one of them and was all "Oh poo poo, not this again", and then they started attacking each other and I was like holy poo poo this is the best.

Currently I'm fighting Giant Skeleton King-man and his array of skeletinis. I am getting murdered very much. It is the best.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
edit: this is re Abyss Watchers drat the thread is fast

Phase one is very easily stunlocked even by weakling sorcerer 51:00 (don't watch any of the attempts before that :ssh:)
Then if you get him to 75-50% in the first sweep the red-eyed one will appear much faster. The red-eyed one can do quite a bit to kill the main guy if you accidentally end up aggroing the clone during that part.

Phase two good luck!
But I thought it was pretty easy on an ultra gsword character. Probably the single hardest thing to do on phase 2 is get an estus off if he does hit you.

edit2: reminded looking at this again that sorcery does not hit enemies in certain charging or in-the-air animations and it's the dumbest thing ever

turtlecrunch fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Apr 13, 2016

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Vermain posted:

can't beat boss therefore it's bad/lovely game design, lol. people can beat that boss going fist only so you have no excuse about it being badly designed. you're just bad.

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

Is there a rusted iron ring or equivalent in this game?

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!
Just going off the first few bosses, I do feel like they've made some concessions to people who feel overwhelmed by multiple mobs. With Abyss Watchers, you have the boss literally fighting each other. With King Skeleton, the mobs he summons also get affected by his generous AOE attacks. I like it.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Dezztroy posted:

Not a huge fan of the areas in this game so far. High Wall and Settlement were good and fun but Road of Sacrifices/Farron Keep and Catacombs are both terrible. Tedious and ugly. The area after the Catacombs is nicer to look at but the enemies are a real pain to fight.

I thought Road of Sacrifices was quite pretty :shrug:

As far as pulling enemies one at a time, isn't that what you do in Souls when you don't want to get your fool head stove in?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Your Computer posted:

Multi-mob boss fights are always the worst fights, and then they throw a really tough boss at you after that's done. I imagine he'd be loving awesome to fight alone, just cut out the first bullshit.

It's actually really easy, you just didn't pick up on the clue of the initial cutscene.

The Abyss Watchers are basically locked into Undead Valhalla. You can lure the two adds together and they will beat the poo poo out of each other so you can focus on the main one. If you're ever in a situation where just two Watchers are up just play keep away until the third gets back up.

Second phase is just pure :gitgud:

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Your Computer posted:

The hollowing doesn't really have any negative effects, so my issue is indeed purely fashion. It sucks having to take up a permanent ring slot though. 4500 for a stone is insane compared to the relative price and rarity of humanities and effigies :(

Even with the Covetous Silver Serpent Ring the blue guys only give like 240 Souls, which means a lot of farming. I got over a thousand from the blue one though , so perhaps I'll farm here after all. Considering how much every other enemy in the game drops, including far more dangerous enemies, I almost have to wonder if his drop is unintended. Perhaps someone put an extra "0" somewhere?

Your fault for trusting a guy with a suspicious voice offering to "draw out your true strength."

Vermain posted:

Most of the areas appear to be assuming that you're going to scumbag pull enemies one-by-one. There's simply no other explanation for the absurd level of mob density in Farron Keep. For all the griping people (myself included) did about the multiple strong enemy encounters in DS2, at least that game had Lifegems to compensate for multi-comboing groups of 3-4 dudes who take multiple hits to cleave down. This game just hurls packs of three goatmen who can take off half of your health by themselves and no outside method of healing beyond Miracles and limited Estus. The only sane option is to plink them with arrows to pull them over and kill them one-by-one as though we were back to playing Everquest.

The tree dudes are for optional stuff only, if you can't take 'em down just ignore them.

You don't need to plink at them either. I just ran up, aggro'd then, and strafed backwards while getting in hits here and there. You can always use the geometry to separate and leash them.

Vermain posted:

Uh, this is not true at all. The Abyss Watchers, especially the non-main HP bar one, have like no HP. Once you get to the phase of the fight where you get some "ally" ones you can literally just stay off in the distance and wait a minute for them to kill the main one. They're also not that tough to dodge either since a lot of their attacks will come nowhere close to you if you strafe backwards or will fly past you and miss you completely.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

Dezztroy posted:

Not a huge fan of the areas in this game so far. High Wall and Settlement were good and fun but Road of Sacrifices/Farron Keep and Catacombs are both terrible. Tedious and ugly. The area after the Catacombs is nicer to look at but the enemies are a real pain to fight.

Catacombs are better than the DS1 sewers, though. And Road of Sacrifices is swampy and mucky but I thought it worked out well with the Dark Fantasy aesthetic. I dunno, maybe I just don't have high standards :D

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Here's a stupid question: do weapon stats account for your attributes? I want to infuse my Uchigatana +2 with fire, but I don't know whether it accounts for my Dex.

If it does, then it looks like I should just upgrade it ASAP and then think about a Sharp infusion whenever.

Also, what's up with the cage guy? I killed the dude with a cage on his back, but I'm supposed to step into the cage or something?

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues
I had my first multi-invasion tonight. A red phantom comes in and not too long afterwards a Darkmoon (I think) rolls in and starts fighting him. The red phantom wins that fight and the whole time we're fighting he's emoting sarcastic applause at me because honestly I'm not really getting much of a hit on him and I've also aggro'd a really aggressive npc enemy. He can't really convincingly put me down in spite of his and the npcs best efforts, and after loving around switching weapons a lot he goes for the katana and tries to end me. I end up falling down into a stairwell gap and both the red and the npc drop down either side of me. I was trapped and no amount of rolling was going to get me out.

That's when I parried the red phantom and killed him because I was wearing the Leo ring. The moral of the story that I hope the invader got from this is nice showboating clownshoes okay that's not a moral but Steam hosed up so I can't post that on his steam profile gently caress it.

Just let me enjoy the moment.

Vermain posted:

I know everyone's gonna be piling on you for this but I got pretty annoyed trying to do that fight but couldn't summon anyone cause connection issues. So I just went in and did it by myself and it took me a fair number of tries. You just need to stick with it and if you feel like you're not in a good spot to keep on them go bop some heads or invade some dudes and get yourself some souls to get stronger. Persevere and you'll rock through it in no time, optimal build or not (my build was not optimal).

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

all the areas fit really well into the souls universe and are fun to go through. been grinning each new place. on the big skelly boss rn

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Oh it's the asylum demon.

Oh it doesn't care that I have a shield.

Oh it's learned new tricks.

Oh... :rip:

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Anyone able to sound off on how well the butcher's knife scales to str? It shows A scaling at +0, but with 95 base damage I'm wondering if the scaling will make up for the base damage loss compared to the battle axe/mace

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012

ufarn posted:

Here's a stupid question: do weapon stats account for your attributes? I want to infuse my Uchigatana +2 with fire, but I don't know whether it accounts for my Dex.

If it does, then it looks like I should just upgrade it ASAP and then think about a Sharp infusion whenever.

Also, what's up with the cage guy? I killed the dude with a cage on his back, but I'm supposed to step into the cage or something?

Fire infused weapons lose all stat scaling.

The cage guy gives you (earlier) access to a covenant

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Genocyber posted:

Your fault for trusting a guy with a suspicious voice offering to "draw out your true strength."

Should have done what I did and murder that guy instantly. Turns out lorewise that might have been a good idea since (speculating) those turtle club dudes seem to be worshipping the darkness (or dragons), and their shells are to prevent them from turning into trees like the guys in the first bit of the high wall and sometimes in the settlement I'm liking the lore this round.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!
Also, it does not seem to have taken me long to get back to my usual habit of grass-crest shield and two-handing my weapons. Probably accounts for at least a few deaths, but whatever, I WILL BECOME DODGE MASTER.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

Wiseblood posted:

Is there a rusted iron ring or equivalent in this game?

No :(

One can only learn where the shallow areas are and use them :(

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

RBA Starblade posted:

Oh it's the asylum demon.

Oh it doesn't care that I have a shield.

Oh it's learned new tricks.

Oh... :rip:

stay under his body. roll on attacks. roll out when he flies upward. go for 1-2 hits per chance.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

b0red posted:

stay under his body. roll on attacks. roll out when he flies upward. go for 1-2 hits per chance.

Yeah I just wasn't expecting the aoe scream stunlock, haha.

e: Or his ground pound to be an instant kill.

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

So I gave the Handmaiden the Dreamchaser's Ashes she said they sucked but asked where I got them. Did I make a mistake telling her?

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

RBA Starblade posted:

Yeah I just wasn't expecting the aoe scream stunlock, haha.

you get a ring that allows you to do that iirc with his soul

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Your Computer posted:

The hollowing doesn't really have any negative effects, so my issue is indeed purely fashion. It sucks having to take up a permanent ring slot though. 4500 for a stone is insane compared to the relative price and rarity of humanities and effigies :(

Well, you're saving a bit of souls on levelling up, so those 4.500 souls are already paid for, at least.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

b0red posted:

you get a ring that allows you to do that iirc with his soul

Nice!

Since he's instant killing me I think I'm supposed to come here later.

e: Seriously, using an ember spawned double the enemies on the way up so I can't just run and retry? gently caress that.

e: Got him after one last try!

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Apr 13, 2016

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Things to Add to Improve the Game With the DLC:
+ Rusted Iron Ring
+ Armor of Favor
+ Channeler's Trident
+ Arena covenant, with duel or fightclub options, no sippies allowed
+ More sorceries? :haw:
+ More everything
+ Cat NPC

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

MrLonghair posted:

No :(

One can only learn where the shallow areas are and use them :(

PROTIP for slow liquid areas. Equip a weapon with the Quickstep skill. It's not slowed down at all.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

turtlecrunch posted:

Things to Add to Improve the Game With the DLC:
+ Rusted Iron Ring
+ Armor of Favor
+ Channeler's Trident
+ Arena covenant, with duel or fightclub options, no sippies allowed
+ More sorceries? :haw:
+ More everything
+ Cat NPC

+Option to give Cat NPC your armor for them to wear in tiny cat-form.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
About Aldrich, anyone find him pretty underwhelming? For a guy billed as a freaky god eating cannibal saint he's really just a naga with a corpse tail and over telegraphed attacks.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Is the frostbite status worth it on weapons? Or is it not noticeable?

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Caidin posted:

About Aldrich, anyone find him pretty underwhelming? For a guy billed as a freaky god eating cannibal saint he's really just a naga with a corpse tail and over telegraphed attacks.

I wished he had gone full goop monster in phase 2 because right now phase 2 is just fiery phase one.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

Well I'm stumped. I don't know how to get past the giants in the Cathedral of the Deep. I know that you can raise walls to trap them but they won't move from their spot no matter how many arrows and firebombs I use. They won't follow me if I run up to them and run away. I don't know how I am supposed to get them into the spot. I could roll past one of them and succeed about 50% of the time, but I don't want to have to keep doing that. The other one blocks a door and I will die if I try to open it. They also have too much health for me to kill with arrows as well. Is there a secret?

Hmm. Hmmmmm.

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

RBA Starblade posted:

Nice!

Since he's instant killing me I think I'm supposed to come here later.

e: Seriously, using an ember spawned double the enemies on the way up so I can't just run and retry? gently caress that.

e: Got him after one last try!

I've found that almost everything in the game is 2-3 hit kills on me. Some even 1 hit. I also kill most small enemies in 2-3 as well though. Idk I guess maybe I'm running a lower level than where I should be.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

The Skeleton King posted:

Well I'm stumped. I don't know how to get past the giants in the Cathedral of the Deep. I know that you can raise walls to trap them but they won't move from their spot no matter how many arrows and firebombs I use. They won't follow me if I run up to them and run away. I don't know how I am supposed to get them into the spot. I could roll past one of them and succeed about 50% of the time, but I don't want to have to keep doing that. The other one blocks a door and I will die if I try to open it. They also have too much health for me to kill with arrows as well. Is there a secret?

Hmm. Hmmmmm.

Are you an archer only? If not then just stand between their feet and hit them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Why is the dude I released from the bridge giving me 'free' level ups, I don't trust it.....