Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
It's dumb not doing so. For example while that guy was fiddling with the consoles I parked my engineer team in the middle of the room and built a turret fort. Then I went off and made myself a sandwich only to come back to a completed objective. I barely fire my own gun anymore I have people who do that for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Tigey posted:

Take along a boff or two with Quantum Mortar - it can target NPCs stuck in walls/geometry.
No dice, tried that already since it's hardly the first time there's been missions with NPCs in walls. I'm pretty sure an NPC or two just isn't spawning correctly or something, saw skill animations in empty air on one or two attempts.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe
So, what exactly was the point of pre-patching last week if I have to download the same patch all over again today?

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer
btw, don't forget to claim your free 12 slots of inventory.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

Is this really a 6gb patch for this poo poo game?

Tuskin38
May 1, 2013

Have you seen these posts?
They're pretty popular on Reddit.

g0del posted:

So, what exactly was the point of pre-patching last week if I have to download the same patch all over again today?

it isnt downloading its copying the files from the preload folder

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Mrit posted:

btw, don't forget to claim your free 12 slots of inventory.

Someone should probably make a reminder thread on the official forums so pubbies don't forget.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.
STO League are tinkering with suggested skill builds. Their advice appears to be to invest heavily in the Tac tree to maximise damage in ISA runs.

https://www.sto-league.com/skilltree-suggestion/

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I plan to wait a month then do whatever you guys say then. Who needs a build anyway.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

SKY COQ posted:

Their advice appears to be to invest heavily in the Tac tree to maximise damage in ISA runs.
Oh boy. :geno:

A part of me wishes ISA would be yanked out of the game just to throw things up a bit. All the absurd DPS parses are due to super-optimizing for a queue that's basically unique. Not that it really matters in this lovely game though, I guess.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
It's a lot like the old system, in that the final ranks in the skills are often barely worth the points.

But I notice something else, vaguely. Look at the 'passives' you get. Note how many of them are training books. And look at the distribution of those books.

It's not just a choice of performance vs ultimates. It's three-way; performance, ultimates, and skill books.

It's :tinfoil:, I know, but...was this the point all along? Will people retrain not just for performance, but for getting specific skill books for themselves and others?

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Tuskin38 posted:

it isnt downloading its copying the files from the preload folder
Not unless my hard drive suddenly runs as slowly as my garbage internet. It took hours to finish.

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

MREs - They're whats for breakfast, lunch AND dinner !
When I launched the client earlier yesterday, there was a 450 MB patch it downloaded. I had run the client a day or two before that and it pre-loaded 1.something GB then. I have 92 megabit download at my house so :shrug:

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal

Bloodly posted:

It's :tinfoil:, I know, but...was this the point all along? Will people retrain not just for performance, but for getting specific skill books for themselves and others?

I'm just going to spec some of my contra-mules for crafting the skill books with dumb requirements. Also it's not like the old system didn't have a bunch of doff skills gated behind spending skill points poorly.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Morglon posted:

It's dumb not doing so. For example while that guy was fiddling with the consoles I parked my engineer team in the middle of the room and built a turret fort. Then I went off and made myself a sandwich only to come back to a completed objective. I barely fire my own gun anymore I have people who do that for me.

This is the correct way to play STO ground content. Active abilities are for suckers. Just remember to set your captain to autofire on anything that hits them and you're golden.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

DancingShade posted:

This is the correct way to play STO ground content. Active abilities are for suckers. Just remember to set your captain to autofire on anything that hits them and you're golden.

And barring the devs getting off their asses, never give the dyson gun to boffs, since they have no loving idea how to fire it.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Tunicate posted:

And barring the devs getting off their asses, never give the dyson gun to boffs, since they have no loving idea how to fire it.

That's not true anymore, boffs use the chaingun fine now.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

-Troika- posted:

That's not true anymore, boffs use the chaingun fine now.

I'm talking about the proton gun.

fakemirage
Nov 6, 2012

Can't see the haters.

hakimashou posted:

someone in redditchat last night was complaining that cryptic patched out the unlocked tailor thing because dental was abusing it
It would be sad if a couple of players went around on Risa and reported all the rodents and federation slave girls now that the outfits can't be restored after a reset from customer support.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

DancingShade posted:

Drone, drone, turret, turret, turret, tracking space laser, sandwich.

Engineers may not be worth much in space but by god do they make ground content lazy.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
It's best when you're dressed as an imperial officer just ordering your Storm Troopers around. There's no good E-11 looking rifle though but omega poo poo will do.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Engineers are amazing on ground. Not enough to make up for being poo poo in space, but it's still nice. The real cheese are Diagnostic Engineers that buff Equipment Diagnostics... 35% chance for +50 range damage, and you can have three of them. If all three proc you can murder NPCs in ways that would make a tac officer blush. :ssh: Hell, ground queues in general are often a lot easier, more lucrative, or both, and tend to go quicker since only the saner and more competent pubs queue for them. Usually.

Also finally cleared the FE on my main. Whoever said in channel to just sit there and wait for ten minutes had it right, apparently it eventually either stops trying to spawn NPCs and goes to the next step, or the ones that are spawned finally hit the floor of the map and die or something. :effort:

Stonewalljack
Oct 29, 2008

SKY COQ posted:

STO League are tinkering with suggested skill builds. Their advice appears to be to invest heavily in the Tac tree to maximise damage in ISA runs.

https://www.sto-league.com/skilltree-suggestion/

I wouldn't put any points in the accuracy skill, I was parsing > 99% without it in ISA. I followed Morglon's advice in the channel and put points into every thing damage and energy level related while avoiding the ultimate and cool down traps. My dps went from 58-64k in ISAs to 97 and 98k. I'm not sure if that is somewhat inflated by the higher level of spergs running with me in the public ques. The new threat stance is pure benefit to turn on since you probably draw threat on everything already, might as well get extra hp.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Stonewalljack posted:

I wouldn't put any points in the accuracy skill, I was parsing > 99% without it in ISA. I followed Morglon's advice in the channel and put points into every thing damage and energy level related while avoiding the ultimate and cool down traps. My dps went from 58-64k in ISAs to 97 and 98k. I'm not sure if that is somewhat inflated by the higher level of spergs running with me in the public ques. The new threat stance is pure benefit to turn on since you probably draw threat on everything already, might as well get extra hp.

Interesting. I mostly followed the above linked build (put more points into EPG) and have torn the arsehole out of that new end alert in my Paradox, but I suspect that was going to happen regardless because, well, Paradox.

Going to play around a bit more with allocations on some alts before I use the respec but at first blush your approach looks good.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
The alert scales to normal so a brain dead half asleep hamster could do it.

Accuracy still doesn't work for fire at will from what I know and your cooldowns should be as low as they get with the right traits and setup so pick up everything else that looks like it might make sense because it probably does. Except for the ultimates those are garbage.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

What was this unrestricted tailor thing y'all were talking about?

Conskill
May 7, 2007

I got an 'F' in Geometry.
I can't log in, every time the game loads I get GameClient.exe has crashed.

...I suppose I should be thankful.

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

Trebuchet King posted:

What was this unrestricted tailor thing y'all were talking about?

Erpists figured out how to bug out the tailor and add any costume part or body part to their toons. Naturally their flagrant and frankly disgusting abuse of this to appear as a naked 12 year old Orion slavegirl finally got the devs to patch out this bug and they're mad and blaming us.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

aw, i was hoping it meant I'd finally have access to fed-aligned romulan uniforms for my boff, or Starfleet uniforms for my KDF boffs. Oh well

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug

Stonewalljack posted:

I followed Morglon's advice

You did WHAT!?!

DAVE!!!(c)(tm)
Feb 22, 2003
https://twitter.com/LaughingTrendy/status/720088181748576256

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

I love this game's playerbase.

Well, love isn't the right word probably.

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
Daily giveaways for today are apparently the Thunderchild, Koro't'inga and Valdore class (T3).

Stonewalljack
Oct 29, 2008
Did a couple more ISA's with the new skill tree, had some pure crap groups and my parsing was lower than last night, 73-83k, but still a buff from the 58-64k of the old system using my exact same setup. I think the biggest increase is from the range talent that reduces dropoff damage to 20% at 10k.

Lorak
Apr 7, 2009

Well, there goes the Hall of Fame...

Aleth posted:

Daily giveaways for today are apparently the Thunderchild, Koro't'inga and Valdore class (T3).
The Valdore? While not as overpowered as it once was, the console off of that still makes for a nice placeholder these days.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah, giving away the Valdore is genuinely surprising. Good job there, Cryptic.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal
The Thunderchild has a great admiralty card as well. Ignores all +tac effects and has a short maintenance.

Dootman
Jun 15, 2000

fishbulb

Asimo posted:

Yeah, giving away the Valdore is genuinely surprising. Good job there, Cryptic.

They probably forgot that it has a useful console.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

It's probably more that players aren't rolling Romulans anymore now that it's basically impossible to meaningfully maintain alts, so Cryptic probably stopped making money from low-tier ship sales and figured it'd be a good excuse to get at least a few more Rom players to justify spending the effort to make ships and costumes for them. :ssh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

There's also a rather limited number of Romulan C-store ships they can give away.

• Locked thread