Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Silver Terran tends to come across as some combination of overly obnoxious and with serious pattern-recognition issues whenever he goes on about you being weak after he loses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
No, see, HE'S not weak. His Pokemon are. :v:

Incidentally, in the manga, Silver is a better trainer from the outset. He even teaches his Totodile Frustration after stealing it due to being fully aware it doesn't like him and taking advantage of the fact.

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

No, see, HE'S not weak. His Pokemon are. :v:

Does he actually change them much? It'd be hilarious if he fought you with local wild pokemon trained up a couple levels every time because those old pokemon were WEAK.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

He keeps the same Pokemon each time. I think N is the only trainer that completely ditches his entire team every time you battle him, and that's more because he befriends Pokemon from nearby routes to battle you rather than using his real team from the outset.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

I love all the weird eReader functionality that no one ever saw.

Did you know the Enigma Berry in Ruby/Sapphire (and R/S only!) could be changed into different ones with eCards? Okay, maybe then that that seemingly pointless Trainer Tower in FR/LG could be modified with e-Cards? How about adding three extra Shadow Pokémon to Pokémon Colosseum? Not quite obscure enough, you say? What about adding painting features to Pokémon Channel then? The eReader was bizarre.

If you can actually get your hands on an Enigma Berry in X/Y you can use it to make Super Rare Candies that increase a pokemon's level by 5.

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?

Kurieg posted:

If you can actually get your hands on an Enigma Berry in X/Y you can use it to make Super Rare Candies that increase a pokemon's level by 5.

Nice try, fucker. I know what day it is.

*googles super rare candies*

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Roro posted:

Actually that's almost true. If you mix an Enigma Berry with a Roseli Berry at the juice shop you do get a +5 level drink.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Yeah I thought it'd be the juice bar, cause you almost got me, noted pokenerd extraordinaire.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

While making the next update, I was curious about a small mechanic, so again, we're having a small Side Notes on ~Badge Boosts~ that I'll fit somewhere.

Badge Boosts

In the first three generations, there are four badges in the game that boost a certain stat. In Gens 1 and 2, this boost is applied at the start of battle, multiplying that stat by 9/8, or 1.125%. Unlike in Gen 1, where the boost is reapplied every single time your stats changed (EVERY. SINGLE. TIME.), it's only applied just the once in Gen 2. However, there's 2 more quirks that apply in the generation. Firstly, if you get a critical hit and your offensive stat used for the attack is less than or equal to the opponent's defensive stat, then all badge boosts are ignored. And there's also a second, secret badge boost that boosts the power of certain types by 12.5%. This is a similar boost to STAB, which is a 50% boost. The type that's boosted depends on what badges you've obtained, so getting the Zephyr Badge boosts Flying moves and getting the Hive Badge boosts Bug moves. This applies on top of STAB and on top of the four badge boosts, so with lots of badges, you become quite the terror. With 16 badges for 16 types, only Dark is left out of this boost. These boosts are applied after weather modifiers, but before STAB. And of course, badge boosts do not apply in link battles.

Crosspeice fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Apr 4, 2016

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
I'm fairly certain STAB is 1.5x, or 50%.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Ah, you're right, I was reading bulbapedia wrong, really need to stop doing that.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Gotta love overly complicated & obfuscated mechanics from early games. :allears: Why even put the type boosts in without telling the player about it?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Roro posted:

Yeah sorry I wasn't trying to make a joke, I just wasn't explaining the whole process because, you know, Juice Bar.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Hey, heads up. I'm about to unleash my rage.

Haifisch posted:

Gotta love overly complicated & obfuscated mechanics from early games. :allears: Why even put the type boosts in without telling the player about it?

I THINK they were in the original Japanese, but text restraints came in for the translations.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Haifisch posted:

I may be confusing this with similar text from Gen.1, but I seem to recall that at least some gym leaders call out the type boosts when you get a badge. Something like "The Red Badge lets you use HM01 any time! Plus it boosts the power of Fire moves!".

Granted, it didn't really go into detail about what the boosts do, but I do remember it at least being mentioned a few times.

Also on a completely other topic, just saw this thread for the first time a couple days ago, loving it. Even though you did make me kinda sad about the useless Kurt Balls. :(

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Update 09.5: Bugs and Wells and Sticks (HGSS)

Slowpoke Well

It's time for another delicious serving of HGSS content. Yum yum. And here's eyecatches. Really should've been showing them off, but I forget a few things here and there, unfortunately. The journey here wasn't very interesting, Union Cave is practically the same, though Route 33 has perpetual rain.

: The guard up top took off when I shouted at him. But then I took a tumble down the well. I slammed down hard on my back, so I can't move.

: Rats! If I were fit, my Pokémon would've punished them... Ah, it can't be helped. Kotone, show them how gutsy you are in my place!

Team Rocket Battle

Still have Team Rocket with their fabulous music.

But, uh, this guy is new.

: I am often labeled as the scariest and cruelest guy in Team Rocket... I strongly urge you not to interfere with out business!

(The new Team Rocket Executives all have their names based on, well, rockets. Proton comes from the Proton UR-500 rocket, which is an expendable launch system (only used once and usually to send big stuff into space) first used for commercial and Russian government use in 1965. Lance, meanwhile (no, not THAT Lance) comes from the MGM-52 Lance, a nuclear or conventional surface-to-surface missile first deployed by the US army in 1972.)

For the meanest, cruelest guy in Team Rocket, his Pokemon aren't too impressive, but he's taken a level hit compared to his GSC counterpart due to using two Pokemon. I also find it's a bit dumb that the executives don't get animated sprites.

"with us..."

Maybe cause you're being massive pricks.

"I didn't see it coming."

Overall, not particularly difficult, as the GSC trainer wasn't that tough either.

: A small obstacle like you won't be much of a problem for our mission. I advise you to be very afraid of what is to come!

Azalea Town

Blah blah blah, Proton. Anyway, we get a Fast Ball as a reward instead of a Lure Ball and, like with Crystal, we can give him multiple of an Apricorn. We also have a nice little collection since unlike GSC where there are only three locations to obtain the various colours, there's now plenty to find around Johto and even Kanto. It's pretty great, especially since all the balls actually work properly now. I'll go over their updated effects here so I don't grind this update to a stop.

We can also get Kurt's number, so he'll ring us when the balls are done. Pretty nifty. The only other new number we've gotten so far is Professor Oak's, but that does what you'd expect.

Well those were some interesting steps. Anyway, Gym time.

Pokemon Gym

Oh hey, it's an actual Gym puzzle this time! Bugsy's Gym has been completely redesigned, something that's happened to a fair few leaders in this game. Ride the Spinarak cars and try your luck!

It's not very tough, since you only have three options, but it's the one on the far left. The one in the middle leads you to a trainer, while the one on the right leads you to a dead end with nothing.

Now things get a bit trickier with the introduction of levers that lower and raise some strands. Lowering the strand lets you fight one trainer.

Riding it with everything up lets you fight these two, with a proper double battle. There aren't many in the game, but it's still a nice change of pace.

We lower the blue strand, head over here and lower the orange strand. Now we can face the Gym Leader.

: My reseatch is going to make me the authority on Bug-type Pokémon! Let me demonstrate what I've learned from my studies.

Gym Leader Battle

Now this is an interesting fight. In what is currently the only time in the series, Bugsy leads off with his ace Pokemon. So if we just take it down, then we should win no problem, right?

No, of course not. Bugsy uses a pretty nasty strategy in U-turn, to deal a good chunk of damage and then switch to his other Pokemon scot free.

Thankfully he still uses the useless cocoons, so that's one down at least.

But Scyther can just come right back in and do more damage, though if you resist Bug, Bugsy will start using the other moves.

And if that thing wasn't annoying enough, it can also heal a good chunk of health.

And if THAT wasn't annoying enough, he also has a Super Potion. Try and make him waste that on one of his cocoons if you can.

Despite resisting Bug, Scyther is still dangerous with a combination of Focus Energy and Quick Attack, allowing it to just sweep if you get unlucky. This is one nasty Pokemon.

But eventually, it goes down. Man that was a really tough match, though we made it in the en-

Oh yeah, he still has one more drat thing left...

With great difficulty, I manage to beat Kakuna.

Hmm, maybe I should change the nickname now...

Pokemon Gym

Another badge down. Maybe now they'll start getting easier.

: If you have it, Pokémon up to Lv. 30 will obey you, even traded ones. Pokémon that know Cut will be able to use it outside of battle, too. Here, I also want you to have this.

: It lets your Pokémon attack, then switch with the next Pokémon in your party. Isn't that great?

: Bug-type Pokémon are deep. There are many mysteries to explore. Study your top choices thoroughly.

Yeah, U-turn is a lot better than Fury Cutter. One of the many good moves introduced in 4th gen.

Pokemon Center

Crazy things happen with steps when you have three Eggs in your party. Well, now one. Anyway, let's now head off to a new area: the Ilex Forest.

Ilex Forest

: The FARFETCH'D that cut trees for charcoal took off in the forest. Can you catch them for me? FARFETCH'D have sensitive ears. If you step on a branch, they will face towards you. That's your chance. Sneak up from behind and catch them... Do you think you can do that?

"noise when you step on a branch."

The Farfetch'd quest has changed for the better, with some puzzle aspects. Our rival is as boring and smelly as ever, so we're not covering him just yet since he hasn't really changed.

It's still not a difficult puzzle, but it's better than chasing it around a million places.

: But... There is one more missing.

Alright, here we are. This one's a little trickier.

We can't nab it from its current position, so let's just move it to somewhere where we can get it.

Like so.

Is now really the time???

Well okay then. Since this is a rare opportunity, I'll be using this fire slug on my HGSS team. We won't be seeing this sucker for a while in the main LP.

It's got some catching up to do, but it should be a worthwhile member very soon.

Especially if we give it something better than Smog, using the TM found in Union Cave.

Aaaaaaaand you know the rest. Got our first HM.

Azalea Town

And always go back to get the Charcoal. That's it for now, but I'm sure next time will be lots of fun. Pink, cute fun.

Crosspeice fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Apr 13, 2016

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I will never be as creative as the Charcoal kid and his Far and Fetch'd.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Ha-ha. You got the lovely ability on your Slugma.

The Gym puzzles are great in HGSS, it's great that Gen V continued that trend, and Gym VI even uses 3D for all the Gym areas I think.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

You got those hens Farfetch'ds :henget:

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Azalea Town is up there as one of my favorite tunes in the series. Actually, a lot of the GSC music is great, and HGSS did a fantastic job updating most of them. (I don't like the new Ecruteak theme much though -- it fits with the town's atmosphere better, sure, but it doesn't really mesh with the original song, imo.)

Also, Crosspiece, you've inspired me to start a new run of Pokemon X, with the twist that I'm using a pre-selected team of Pokemon I've never used before. Your Yellow run made me realize there were tons of them that I've never had on my team, despite doing so many runs of each game.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Going out of your way to use mons you've never used is super cool, and everyone should try it at least once a gen. But I never really understood people who insist on using the same stuff each time when there's hundreds of Pokemon to choose from. :v:

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

I just have the really bad habit of never switching out pokemon on my team for wild pokemon I catch in later routes. I end up unintentionally limiting myself to 'mons I catch in the first half of the game.

I used the Pokemon Checklist to figure out which ones I've never used, then picked one or two from each generation. It's easy enough to breed them in ORAS then send the eggs over to XY. I ended up with a team of a dozen pokemon, though I'm picking up the last 4 during the run instead of breeding them. It's really easy to juggle 12 pokemon with the Exp Share in XY.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

That's part of why I like nuzlockes, they force you to use stuff you never did before, because you have a very limited amount of picks that are entirely luck-based, and at any time you might have to replace one due to untimely death even from stuff you had no way of stopping (like my poor Victreebel in Y, buffed defense with Stockpile only to eat a crit and get OHKOed). I've gotten quite a few new favourites out of that too, like Azumarill thanks to my Emerald run and Nidoqueen thanks to my Yellow one.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Haifisch posted:

Going out of your way to use mons you've never used is super cool, and everyone should try it at least once a gen. But I never really understood people who insist on using the same stuff each time when there's hundreds of Pokemon to choose from. :v:

I'm going through X again myself, and I'm running a Zigzagoon, a Froakie, a Farfetch'd that I was lucky enough to have the Stick on it when I caught it, and a Pikachu. NONE of those have I EVER used before. (Was gonna not evolve the pikachu if it was holding the Light Orb, but it wasn't, so Raichu is a better choice.) That Farfetch'd is a CRIT MACHINE. I don't even have slash yet and every other hit is a crit.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I never used Magnemite's line until recently.

Why didn't someone tell me how foolish I was?

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

I find monotype challenges also help. I used a bunch of Pokemon I hadn't before in both my Psychic and Water monotypes.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

It's always great to use some brand new Pokemon in a specific game. Even if I've used them before in either an earlier game or a later game, it still makes them unique in each generation, giving you tons of options. In my Yellow LP, I've never used Venusaur, Marowak and Seadra in that specific game before and they worked wonderfully. And so far in this LP, I've never used Poliwag or Snubbull in a Gen 2 game before and I'm pretty excited to get the rest of my team, since there's two more to pick up that I've never used and are also pretty out there choices.

Also a fan of what I've planned for SoulSilver, since again, there's two more members I'll pick up that I've never used before.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Silegna posted:

I'm going through X again myself, and I'm running a Zigzagoon, a Froakie, a Farfetch'd that I was lucky enough to have the Stick on it when I caught it, and a Pikachu. NONE of those have I EVER used before. (Was gonna not evolve the pikachu if it was holding the Light Orb, but it wasn't, so Raichu is a better choice.) That Farfetch'd is a CRIT MACHINE. I don't even have slash yet and every other hit is a crit.

Stick will do that.

SkyTalon2314
Aug 8, 2013

Silegna posted:

Yeah, the Stick ups Farfetch'd's crit chance by two stages. In Gen VI, this means he literally has a 50% crit chance. With Slash, it'll be 100%. Gen VI made getting rediculous crit chances easier, but in exchange crits only do 150% normal damage. Sniper is now 225% normal damage, which is a really weird percentage.

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

I usually do a run of the game with some of my favourites and some new, then a run with a completely wild team. Doing this has taught me that Lilligant can be a loving beast when she wants to be. In Omega Ruby, she wiped the entirety of the Elite 4 AND Steven on her lonesome.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Roro posted:

I usually do a run of the game with some of my favourites and some new, then a run with a completely wild team. Doing this has taught me that Lilligant can be a loving beast when she wants to be. In Omega Ruby, she wiped the entirety of the Elite 4 AND Steven on her lonesome.

Despite Lilligant being my favorite grass type that isn't starter, I've actually NEVER used her. Wonder if I can catch it in X version.

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

Silegna posted:

Despite Lilligant being my favorite grass type that isn't starter, I've actually NEVER used her. Wonder if I can catch it in X version.

She's amazing! Own Tempo with Teeter Dance, Quiver Dance, Petal Dance and Synthesis will wreck anything in your path.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Roro posted:

She's amazing! Own Tempo with Teeter Dance, Quiver Dance, Petal Dance and Synthesis will wreck anything in your path.

I looked it up. Sadly, she's only available from the Friend Safari. If I could find someone willing to trade me an egg for her that'd be amazing.
Also, I REALLY hate that Kadabra Trainer on Route 5 in X.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Roro posted:

Lilligant is one of my favs because she's a beast in game. I even managed to win a few OU games online with one because of shocked opponents despite her fragility.

I probably would have had no idea if I hadn't caught one with Own Tempo when I was first playing through Gen V in Japanese.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Can you catch one in BW or B2W2 and transfer it up?

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

Silegna posted:

I looked it up. Sadly, she's only available from the Friend Safari. If I could find someone willing to trade me an egg for her that'd be amazing.
Also, I REALLY hate that Kadabra Trainer on Route 5 in X.

I traded mine over, but my games are back home so I wouldn't be able to help for at least a month.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Solumin posted:

Can you catch one in BW or B2W2 and transfer it up?

I..forgot Pokebank was a thing, despite paying for it. Huh. I could always transfer over my Petilil and Ditto from ORAS.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Silegna posted:

I..forgot Pokebank was a thing, despite paying for it. Huh. I could always transfer over my Petilil and Ditto from ORAS.

Sewaddle, if you want leavanny. :v:

I'm bored and procrastinating. I'll cook up an egg if you want one.

Solumin fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Apr 13, 2016

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

Solumin posted:

Sewaddle, if you want leavanny. :v:

I'm bored and procrastinating. I'll cook up an egg if you want one.

Lilligant evolves from Petilil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Roro posted:

Lilligant evolves from Petilil.

Man, I read "Leavanny" like a million times instead of Lilligant.

Either way, I have eggs. (Not particularly special ones though.)

• Locked thread