Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.

Einwand posted:

You can get a third phantom by using an item from the shrine maiden, dried knuckles or something. I think it also increases your priority for invasions and lets up to two phantoms invade at once?

What sort of weapons are people using anyways, I've been using the Lothric long spear, and I don't think I've seen a single other person with anything but a sword and one or two axes/clubs.

In early areas 80% of the people seem to be in full Knight armor (I wonder if this has to do with the crashing bug pushing people into the Knight starting class?), and most of them are using a straight sword, broad sword, or claymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

I need to be stronker. Any decent places to farm souls before killing the Abyssal boys?

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

Einwand posted:

You can get a third phantom by using an item from the shrine maiden, dried knuckles or something. I think it also increases your priority for invasions and lets up to two phantoms invade at once?

What sort of weapons are people using anyways, I've been using the Lothric long spear, and I don't think I've seen a single other person with anything but a sword and one or two axes/clubs.

Starting axe, two-handed, and grass crest shield. It gets the job done and it does really well at breaking poise. I tried my hand at the dual-wielding stuff but they can't break worth poo poo, at least from what I've tried.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Internet Kraken posted:

The next area is filled with redneck zombies in a swamp.

trying to sodomize you with their big sticks :heysexy:

~*~Deliverance Souls~*~

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Beeez posted:

Thanks guys. It's not really about being broke or not as I have Gamefly, so if DS3 is the best for beginners then that's what I'd do, but otherwise I was thinking Dark Souls 1 seemed like a good start point. However, unless being a magic user is advised for a total beginner who doesn't usually play super hard games, I'm more inclined to devote a lot of my time to melee, I usually prefer that in games with magic acting supplementary.

Melee is good for first playthrough on any of them, especially DS3.

Panty Saluter posted:

Dark Souls 3 seems to be the first time From have figured out "difficulty curve, not difficulty cliff face" :v:

ahahahahahahahaaaa

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Einwand posted:

This is kind of cool.

Also, I am basically at the start if the game with like 15,000 souls just dojng co-op over and over. I could do this for weeks and be happy before moving on. In DS2 id be out leveling the area by having too many souls after like 10 coop sessions per boss unless i wore a special ring. How does DS3 handle this? Is there a special ring to stop my leveling so I can do this forever?

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

nopantsjack posted:

I need to be stronker. Any decent places to farm souls before killing the Abyssal boys?

put your summon sign down for Asylum Demon, tree boss, or the Dilapidated Bridge bonfire (the first purple npc is 3000 souls). All have pretty good potential with low risk by that point

emdash fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Apr 13, 2016

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Poise doesn't work the same. It seems to only apply to specific heavy attacks from generally heavy weapons, increasing or decreasing the amount of damage you can take during those attacks without being interrupted. Basically you will never be able to just walk up to people and spam r1s without getting knocked out of it.

DrGreatJob
Oct 3, 2006

we fuck each other very well and we have a lot of energy from eating plantfoods

Philthy posted:

Can you only summon two phantoms? I spent all night just helping people instead of playing for myself because im a sunbro at heart. The most I saw were myself and one other phantom summoned. Did they remove the ability to summon three or were everyone I was playing with for the three hours of co-op just being weird and not summoning the max?

You need to buy the dried fingers from the old woman in Firelink (2000 souls, infinite uses.) Using that item allows you to summon 3 phantoms, but also opens you to invasions from 2 people instead of one.

And yes, it's fun as hell. Totally unfair, but hilarious to be on either side.

Philthy posted:

This is kind of cool.

Also, I am basically at the start if the game with like 15,000 souls just dojng co-op over and over. I could do this for weeks and be happy before moving on. In DS2 id be out leveling the area by having too many souls after like 10 coop sessions per boss. How does DS3 handle this?

There is no soul memory in DS3. It's back to a system similar to DS1 (+/- some % of levels, and supposedly some sort of weapon-level matchmaking, but the latter might only be for invasions, not sure.)

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Pwnstar posted:

So does the Watchdog Covenant just straight up not work or what?

Regy Rusty posted:

I've been invaded twice this morning by watchdogs

I just made this post but it didn't appear but I can still see it when I press the little ? and even quote it

Weird

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

Philthy posted:

Can you only summon two phantoms? I spent all night just helping people instead of playing for myself because im a sunbro at heart. The most I saw were myself and one other phantom summoned. Did they remove the ability to summon three or were everyone I was playing with for the three hours of co-op just being weird and not summoning the max?

Dried finger let's you summon 3 but increases chance of being invaded

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

I'm at 7 hours and I've yet to be invaded. Lucky I guess? Or network problems.

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot
Okay, where do I go from the settlement? I feel like I've exhausted every corner of the drat place.

So far I've killed the tree, which apparently was optional, killed the fire demon with sieg, opened up the door in the sewer section, rescued the maiden from her cell... I just don't see where a new path would open up. I'm starting to be overleveled for this place.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

turtlecrunch posted:

ahahahahahahahaaaa

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Gortarius posted:

Okay, where do I go from the settlement? I feel like I've exhausted every corner of the drat place.

So far I've killed the tree, which apparently was optional, killed the fire demon with sieg, opened up the door in the sewer section, rescued the maiden from her cell... I just don't see where a new path would open up. I'm starting to be overleveled for this place.

Go down the elevator in the tower near where you rescued the girl after befriending the giant.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Panty Saluter posted:

Dark Souls 3 seems to be the first time From have figured out "difficulty curve, not difficulty cliff face" :v:

You probably haven't reached the cliff face yet. :v:

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Gortarius posted:

From the entrance to the tree boss turn around so that you are facing the opposite direction, run down the road, then take a left across the bridge where there are two red-robed paint bowl guys.
e: Oh wait you've been there- go down the elevator buddy, didn't you even listen to Sieg? :v:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The ice knight was kind of a chump. Cool weapon though!

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Gortarius posted:

from the basement bonfire (the one before dilapidated bridge) go across the bridge (there's two or three cauldron dudes across it) to a building where you can take an elevator down to fight an ice demon miniboss. there is a door after that miniboss with a new bonfire outside

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

The ice knight was kind of a chump. Cool weapon though!

:rimshot:

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

TheQat posted:

as long as you equip it in the fifth "ring" slot yeah

praise the soup

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

TheQat posted:

put your summon sign down for Asylum Demon, tree boss, or the Dilapidated Bridge bonfire (the first purple npc is 3000 souls). All have pretty good potential with low risk by that point

Oh is that an npc and not a person? I killed it when helping someone buy avoided it completely by basically cutting around to get to the bonfire.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Harrow posted:

You probably haven't reached the cliff face yet. :v:

Maybe not, but my point is that the cliff face isn't right after the loving tutorial area

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

:haw:

Birds everywhere argh

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Is there any point to the cathedral rafters other than getting your poo poo rocked y/n?

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Is frostbite just a PvP effect? The wikis don't seem very updated yet, but what I've found says it's for slowing stam regen. Wondering if the frosty sword is worth using, or just keep on poking things with the longsword.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

Your Computer posted:

Is there any point to the cathedral rafters other than getting your poo poo rocked y/n?

To teach you the virtue of humility and knock a few years off of purgatory.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Huh, I never knew I was scared of gigantic crabs until last night. The "normal" sized ones were bad enough, even they are too big for my liking. Then all the sudden wham monster crab claw all up in my face. I've never run from anything in a Souls game as fast as I booked it away from that monstrosity.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Panty Saluter posted:

Unless you had the gall to say "I want to be a magic-user!"

gently caress me i've never had to scrounge for coop buddies so badly in my life :negative:

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Where should I be looking for summon action at level 38 I'm at Ithyll central right now in progression

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

BobTheJanitor posted:

Is frostbite just a PvP effect? The wikis don't seem very updated yet, but what I've found says it's for slowing stam regen. Wondering if the frosty sword is worth using, or just keep on poking things with the longsword.

The ISS is a nice sword but it doesn't seem to do anything, no.

Also boy infinite stamina enemies sure made a comeback.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

It was actually sort of comical, that crab. Taught me that I should've gone Str instead of Dex, because a phantom named Hulk Hogan just kept flattening it with his mighty hammer until it died.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Malcolm XML posted:

Tree boss coop owns

He's just a loving pain to take down normally but absolutely trivial with 2 people

Tell that to the pubbies I have been sunbroing. It seems less than ten percent of them have figured out the trick with the white bulbs on the back/arms/legs

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits
Accidently attacked the onion knight, killed him, soloed the fire demon. And because i hosed up with the onion knight I only got a stupid fire gem for my trouble and I still can't get past the frost dude downstairs. :argh: I'm terrible at this... but at the same time I can't get myself to give up on it.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

So many of those large enemies have unique loot for killing them once. The trio of those assholes in the poison swamp had a bow and some "pharis" gear.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

The Walrus posted:

two more questions.

1. I've heard people talking about optional bosses you can access before the settlement. Is it just the one hidden one that takes you to the endgame or have I missed something?

2. where does siegward go after you help him with the demon? also, followup question, why does he go 'too soon!!' when you attack it? What happens if you leave it?

anyone? the asylum demon boss is one of the ones I'm missing apparently? thanks

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

The Walrus posted:

anyone? the asylum demon boss is one of the ones I'm missing apparently? thanks

asylum demon is in the poison swamp. find hte building with three slugs at the bottom of a ladder. climb the ladder, go inside and light bonfire, take an elevator in that room up to the roof. asylum demon is at the top on the left

(this is not before the settlement)

Panderfringe
Sep 12, 2011

yospos

The Walrus posted:

undead go to the north so the opposite. its more like rural timmins ontario
Which is far more horrifying.

Game owns. THe initial vista you get when you see Irithyll for the first time floored me.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Would you guys recommend that I do (areas after Road of Sacrifices spoilers) Cathedral of the Deep or Farron Keep first?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Harrow posted:

Would you guys recommend that I do (areas after Road of Sacrifices spoilers) Cathedral of the Deep or Farron Keep first?

The latter looks way too scary for me so I'm doing the former at the moment. It's not too bad so far, I recommend it!