Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is YISUN?
Mother
A lie we tell ourselves to have a purpose
Bliss
A paradox with no solution
Father
A strong female protagonist
The weakest thing there is and the smallest crawling thing
Creator
Everything in this miserable and hellish existence
A solution with no paradoxes
View Results

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

This comic is great and I'm betting there's some problem with getting the key that'll leave evil grandma vulnerable to the other aspirants to the throne.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Mottom continues to be delightful and I continue to wonder how Alice is gonna get out of this room alive.

Maybe there will be more shenanigans with everyone thinking the boyfriend is the real heir? But I can't see there being a compelling reason to keep her alive because of that.

M. Propagandalf
Aug 9, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Any fellow disciples have any recommendations for this ignorant aspirant on Swedish extreme technical death metal?

I know Google is my friend, but I'm not sure which of these bands immediately jump out for me.

:black101:All of them.:black101:

Gladi
Oct 23, 2008

Begemot posted:

Mottom continues to be delightful and I continue to wonder how Alice is gonna get out of this room alive.

Maybe there will be more shenanigans with everyone thinking the boyfriend is the real heir? But I can't see there being a compelling reason to keep her alive because of that.

Why not? The girl just said she came to give the Key to the Heir, so as long as the key remains in her pretty head and the pretty head remains away of the the boy, there is no danger.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

There's also the possibility that Mottom thinks that the prophecy is inevitable and unstoppable, in which case the successor's girlfriend (as she thinks) is a pretty good bargaining chip or tool in securing herself a decent spot post-successor.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I think she's currently just reveling in the novelty of speaking to someone she doesn't want to immediately murder. The skinny girl is mouthing off to her! And she still has all her skin afterward! Delightful!

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

She might be afraid of the power of the Key. Yeah, Allison doesn't know how to do poo poo with it yet, but does Mottom know that for sure?

More likely based on her comments though is that Mottom sees Allison as the best source for information to make plans with moving forward. I mean, the Key is right where she needs it to be, in theory; why rush anything? If nothing else, she can savor the moment.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Reene posted:

More likely based on her comments though is that Mottom sees Allison as the best source for information to make plans with moving forward.

sucks to be Mottom, in that case

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

MikeJF posted:

There's also the possibility that Mottom thinks that the prophecy is inevitable and unstoppable, in which case the successor's girlfriend (as she thinks) is a pretty good bargaining chip or tool in securing herself a decent spot post-successor.

Given her dialog at the demiurge meeting, it seems to me she not only thinks the prophecy is inevitable she's projecting that onto all the other demiurges and thinks any indication to the contrary is just denial.

reignonyourparade fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Apr 13, 2016

Denzine
Sep 2, 2011

One time, I did a thing.
Well they don't call them prophecies because they don't happen.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
The origin of prophecy is an ancient Greek word translating more or less literally as "foretelling". They're no more guaranteed to come about than any prediction (another word which literally means foretelling). :eng101: The idea that they are is based on the word having connotations of being based on divine knowledge, which depending on your setting/beliefs is still no indicator of accuracy.

Important characters assuming otherwise is a great source of delicious dramatic irony though, so I'm not going to argue the point too hard.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Well, Jadis probably believes the prophecy, given that it's apparently hers. Mottom believes it too, though how she's going to react to this is still to be seen, and Gog-Agog seemed to put stock in it as well, though she's weird and fickle. Solomon David dismissed it, but, well, that's not surprising, given his... Everything. Jagganoth and Mammon we don't know much about on this front, while Incubus seemed to not only believe it, but be the one person who caught onto the actual subject of it, given his dream appearance. Or maybe he doesn't believe it; at least he's figured out that Allison's important, which seems to put him ahead of most of them.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Even Incubus thought Allison was going to end up giving the Key to Zaid, from what he said in the dream.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF
Which is nuts. Why would you give something like that away? Why would you assume anyone else would?

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

This comic is great and I'm betting there's some problem with getting the key that'll leave evil grandma vulnerable to the other aspirants to the throne.

just on the face of it it's the same cold war stalemate as before. Mottom taking the key is going to provoke an immediate joint attack from everyone else, and while it's a very powerful tool I don't think it instantly makes you Zoss the Unfuckwithable, and she clearly thinks the big man himself is still in the picture, so she wants to be drat sure she knows what's going on first.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Apr 13, 2016

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

Zoss the Unfuckwithable

This is in fact his full title.

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I got the impression Mottom was less afraid of the prophecy and more the fact that Zoss could show back up and kill them at any moment he drat well pleased, and she's frustrated at the other six for being pathetic idiots who won't do anything to prevent that. The prophecy as far as Mottom is concerned is just Jadis's excuse to not lift a finger to stop their impending doom, same as Solomon David's smug response http://killsixbilliondemons.com/comic/ksbd-4-74/

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

RiotGearEpsilon posted:

Which is nuts. Why would you give something like that away? Why would you assume anyone else would?

Because Zoss actual did give it away, and odds are the person he gave it to isn't any more sane than he was (as the demiurges measure sanity).

Denzine
Sep 2, 2011

One time, I did a thing.

Renaissance Robot posted:

The origin of prophecy is an ancient Greek word translating more or less literally as "foretelling". They're no more guaranteed to come about than any prediction (another word which literally means foretelling). :eng101: The idea that they are is based on the word having connotations of being based on divine knowledge, which depending on your setting/beliefs is still no indicator of accuracy.

Important characters assuming otherwise is a great source of delicious dramatic irony though, so I'm not going to argue the point too hard.

can you think of a prophecy in any work of fiction within the last, let's say 50 years, that was inherently wrong?

edit: prophecy as a literary device isn't the same thing as the word.

Denzine fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Apr 13, 2016

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

Tetracube posted:

I got the impression Mottom was less afraid of the prophecy and more the fact that Zoss could show back up and kill them at any moment he drat well pleased, and she's frustrated at the other six for being pathetic idiots who won't do anything to prevent that. The prophecy as far as Mottom is concerned is just Jadis's excuse to not lift a finger to stop their impending doom, same as Solomon David's smug response http://killsixbilliondemons.com/comic/ksbd-4-74/

I don't even know if she's afraid of it, exactly. My view: she definitely disrespects the prophecy ("Pah!", she says), but it seems like she's basically killing time. Just enjoying her weird immortal life and waiting around for the judgment she knows is coming. She'll try to put it off if the opportunity comes up, but she's convinced that at some point she's going to go down, and she's drat well going to have fun in the meantime.

Cathair
Jan 7, 2008

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

just on the face of it it's the same cold war stalemate as before. Mottom taking the key is going to provoke an immediate joint attack from everyone else, and while it's a very powerful tool I don't think it instantly makes you Zoss the Unfuckwithable, and she clearly thinks the big man himself is still in the picture, so she wants to be drat sure she knows what's going on first.

Yeah, this is what I wanted to say. I trust Abbadon to come up with interesting angles, but just from what we've seen so far it could be as simple as a tenuous power balance at work. The demiurges don't seem like they're held together by brotherly love, and I think that taking the key now would at best force Mottom to give up sole advantage to avoid being destroyed by the other six; at worst it would trigger a bloody struggle for final supremacy. Mottom is thinking of more subtle ways she can use this key-holder as her tool, and perhaps take it for herself only later, after the situation has been altered in her favor.

As for Mottom possibly being afraid of the power of the key, I don't really get that impression. It's mentioned that the keys are also weapons, but these guys had to be stupendous badasses in the first place to do all they did before making the keys. I mean, Zoss breached Throne and soloed like 50 gundams (to borrow my new favorite description of his fight with the Prime Angels) before anyone settled down to making keys. We've seen Allison use the key for travel by blind intuition, and maybe she could reflexively nope out to the void if Mottom tried to kill her, but could she take Mottom in a fight? Personally, I doubt it. At this point she's only just beginning to develop the mentality she'd need, much less the skill.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
there were a couple generatioms of demiurge society in throne before the universal war. none of the surviving seven demiurges were from the old guard

Cathair
Jan 7, 2008

Tollymain posted:

there were a couple generatioms of demiurge society in throne before the universal war. none of the surviving seven demiurges were from the old guard

I didn't think of that, but it just reinforces my notions from a different angle- it means they were badass enough to kill the old-guard demiurges in a war where everyone had keys. :unsmigghh:

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cathair posted:

Yeah, which means they were badass enough to kill the old-guard demiurges in a war where everyone had keys. :unsmigghh:

well, yeah, they're mighty as gently caress

they just weren't the pioneers who breached firmaments/agreed upon the forging of new angel bodies and angel law/devised the masking and binding of demons/etc

Cathair
Jan 7, 2008

Tollymain posted:

they just weren't the pioneers who breached firmaments/agreed upon the forging of new angel bodies and angel law/devised the masking and binding of demons/etc

Ah, ok, I see. I thought you were making an argument re: the threat Allison poses just from having the King's key, but you were just correcting that innaccuracy in my post.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Tollymain posted:

and I think some of the outside-the-comic stuff implies they weren't necessarily particularly capable as demiurges went, just the ones who happened to be left standing when the dust settled on the chaos. probably a fair bit of the tall poppies getting cut during that

Still impossibly beyond anyone else still kicking but some like Mottom might have reason to be insecure on their throne, what keeps her there at this point might really just be her key

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i like to think of it less than "correcting" and more of a "hey i wanna share cool info i learned"

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
So hold up, has Mottom cottoned on to the fact that Allison is the heir, not Zaid? She does say an heir, after all.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

A big flaming stink posted:

So hold up, has Mottom cottoned on to the fact that Allison is the heir, not Zaid? She does say an heir, after all.

It's hard to tell. We'll probably know with the next comic, though.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Cathair posted:

I didn't think of that, but it just reinforces my notions from a different angle- it means they were badass enough to kill the old-guard demiurges in a war where everyone had keys. :unsmigghh:

Perhaps. Or the badarse old-guard mostly killed each other. Or by the end, the seven were the only actual alliance left, and could easily take on individual demiurges no matter how badarse.

I also suspect that Jadis's abilities may have counted for more than we think.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Allison is going to survive this by finding out that Mottom is really a glutton for friendship! :3:

Cue training montage.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

MikeJF posted:

I also suspect that Jadis's abilities may have counted for more than we think.

I don't think she would be a member of that council if all she did was make vague portents that didn't illuminate much.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mr. Lobe posted:

I don't think she would be a member of that council if all she did was make vague portents that didn't illuminate much.

She used to be considerably more badass, according to the Tumblr. Or at least, that's what I'm assuming from this, though it could have just been stabbing him in the back or something I guess.

quote:

Anonymous asked:
Did any of the Seven have mentors?

Mottom, Gog Agog, and Mammon all have rather solitary and tragic stories, and didn’t really have any mentor. Jadis had no mentor save her father, who she killed at a young age. Jagganoth had a sergeant in the corpse legion where he served as a child who took care of him. Incubus has and needs no mentor, nor does he particularly have any past to speak of. Solomon probably had the most powerful and influential mentors, the Brotherhood of the Empty Voice, who trained Solomon in the ways of Ki Rata, the most difficult to master and dangerous martial art in creation.

Related:

quote:

Excluding Incubus, who's answer is obvious, did any of the other Seven have lovers or significant others?

Definitely. Solomon’s family is still around, in a sense, and his path to godhood was started when his family was threatened. Gog-Agog and Mottom both had significant others that figure significantly into their stories. Mammon is a huge outcast from his family, and Jadis had a relationship with her parents, albeit a cold one. Only Jagganoth has never felt love of any kind.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
I mean Jadis has successfully looked at the shape of the Universe and survived the experience. Whether that was due to the carbonite freezing or resulted in it is still unknown, but knowledge is power and she undoubtedly has hella knowledge.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
solomon david's family's descendants make up the backbone of the government ruling his worlds i'm gonna guess

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Archenteron posted:

I mean Jadis has successfully looked at the shape of the Universe and survived the experience. Whether that was due to the carbonite freezing or resulted in it is still unknown, but knowledge is power and she undoubtedly has hella knowledge.

Mmmm, but I wonder if the victory of the seven-part pact entirely required her foreknowledge. Maybe that she lacked the physical power to win herself even with her vision, but the other six wouldn't have remotely come close to winning without it.

I mean, I'm sure the victory of the pact required each of their skills, but I wouldn't be surprised if she was the real key.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Apr 14, 2016

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012
solomon's seventy-seven sons serve sufficiently, save Sarapis, servant of a Servant.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Mottom's late husband is named Hastet-Om, according to some post somewhere.

Some people speculated that Incubus no longer has a physical body and can only perv on people in dreams now, but that bit about him having no past makes me wonder if he ever did have a real body.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MikeJF posted:

Mmmm, but I wonder if the victory of the seven-part pact entirely required her foreknowledge. Maybe that she lacked the physical power to win herself even with her vision, but the other six wouldn't have remotely come close to winning without it.

I mean, I'm sure the victory of the pact required each of their skills, but I wouldn't be surprised if she was the real key.

have you SEEN jagganoth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
joking aside

i'm sure the demiurges have their strengths and weaknesses but each and every one of them is capable of singlehandedly burning worlds through will alone

just because jadis hangs out in a block of pyrex doesn't mean she wasn't/ isn't a terrifying demigod of destruction