Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Pawl posted:

The Stormcast titles are terrible and confusing but the Celestal-Prime is a unique character like Karl Franz or Nagash

Well yes he is in so much as he is in fact Karl Franz.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pawl
Sep 9, 2006

I'm seeing this from an AoS perspective.

white primer uber alles

Night10194 posted:

There are no actual characters in Age of Sigmar. Just various screamy noun-verbers fighting over poo poo no-one cares about.

Oh poo poo. It's the world Archaon always wanted! A world where everyone is as boring and pointless as him! That was the plan!

There are still lots of characters like Kroak, Nagash, Archaon, Mannfred, Malekith, Morathi, Teclis, etc. There aren't as many as WHFB but that's because the world exploded and almost all of them died. It's a new setting and it needs time to build up new characters. The silver lining here is that they finally freed us from having Valten shoved down our throats constantly.

Skinty McEdger posted:

Well yes he is in so much as he is in fact Karl Franz.

I haven't heard that before but I don't doubt that it is true

I have heard that he might be Settra or Louen

Oh god what if it's Valten? :negative:

Pawl fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Apr 13, 2016

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

You look at the Stormcasts, the 'eternals' who are supposedly perfect embodiment of their God and have no real character or faction beyond 'hit man with hammer', and think they STOPPED shoving Valten down your throat?

My friend, Valten is all you've got, now.

Oh my god, it just hit me in its entirety. Age of Sigmar is a setting where it's just Valtens and Archaons fighting each other forever, with nothing else to it. This is how GW wants to get back at everyone for hating their bland, lovely designated hero and villain, isn't it?

Night10194 fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Apr 13, 2016

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Night10194 posted:

You look at the Stormcasts, the 'eternals' who are supposedly perfect embodiment of their God and have no real character or faction beyond 'hit man with hammer', and think they STOPPED shoving Valten down your throat?

My friend, Valten is all you've got, now.

yeah i was gonna say there's literally a faction of Valtens now

also the "it needs time to set up a story/world" sounds like something that should have been thought about before they blew up a world with 30 years of worldbuilding. age of sigmar has been a thing for almost a year and we've only seen a whole of one named person in 3 factions? its not like its 2016 and the fluff has to come out at a glacially slow pace. if they want to sell this whole "new and interesting setting", they should sell the poo poo out of it.

how the hell is Kroak still around? wasn't his whole point that he was the first being ever born on the old world and he was sticking around until the end of the world? why is mannfred around even though he's literally the reason that everything got all this hosed up to begin with?

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I'm not even sure what kind of reality you have to inhabit to look at Bretonnians and Sigmarines and go "Yes, these fill the exact same niche and appeal to the exact same people", but if AoS is good in that reality then I guess you're the real winner.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Skinty McEdger posted:

They actually gave the Brets a not entirely terrible bit of throw away fluff, but then decided to just drop it. Basically the left over Brets said "gently caress off" to Sigmar and went to hang with the elves who were busy doing things like actually taking down a Chaos god. But then it was decided as they didn't accept Sigmar as their personal savior they died off.

It's impressive how AoS really is the worst in every way.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Rulebook Heavily posted:

I'm not even sure what kind of reality you have to inhabit to look at Bretonnians and Sigmarines and go "Yes, these fill the exact same niche and appeal to the exact same people", but if AoS is good in that reality then I guess you're the real winner.

Don't forget the Brets didn't gently caress off and run when faced with impossible dreams or poo poo getting rough. They went full tilt at that goddamn windmill and they liked it.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

like so far all of the fluff we've had for AoS for a year straight is nounverbers screaming at each other and what kind of stockholm syndrome can you have that after 10 months of the exact same stuff coming out you're still thinking "yeah man it's going to get better just you see!"

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

It's really nuts that they built up these guys to be the ultimate Heroes of this lovely universe that we are supposed to like and side with because we are told they are so great constantly but it's so easy to peal back the veil just a bit and realize that they accidentally created a bunch of cowardly, fascist, zombies that are the real bad guys.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Business Gorillas posted:

how the hell is Kroak still around? wasn't his whole point that he was the first being ever born on the old world and he was sticking around until the end of the world? why is mannfred around even though he's literally the reason that everything got all this hosed up to begin with?

The lizzardmen are now literally angels and Kroak has ascended to a new form. He's now a mummified frog with a golden mask who for fun makes the stars form constellations of a smiling frog while his armies fight. He also developed the stupidest counter to chaos imaginable.

Mannfred is around so Nagrash can eternally torment him and rub his face in the poo poo he caused. He's basically now undeads jester.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

Skinty McEdger posted:

The lizzardmen are now literally angels and Kroak has ascended to a new form. He's now a mummified frog with a golden mask who for fun makes the stars form constellations of a smiling frog while his armies fight. He also developed the stupidest counter to chaos imaginable.

Mannfred is around so Nagrash can eternally torment him and rub his face in the poo poo he caused. He's basically now undeads jester.

:how:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I mean I suppose Manfred being called stupid, stupid idiot forever is something I can get behind a bit.

Manfred is the Jeb Bush of Vampires.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Pawl posted:

Quite a few. Grabbed a quick list off the wiki:

The Celestant-Prime has an identity beyond that title but it hasn't been revealed yet

I appreciate you providing these, but many of these names are worse than not having any. Except Gardus, I guess, that sounds like it could be an actual name someone has. Why don't any of these appear on the site though? Are they just named versions of the generic models? That's kind of weak.

Also, 'its a new setting' is a pretty weird argument, because what it is basically saying is 'we just went ahead and published this in its most basic state without really developing anything beyond the rudimentary structure'. It's not like a setting has to be published before you can work on it. Most recent miniature games have launched with a fully-formed concept and story and a host of named characters to relate to (Warmachine, Confrontation, Malifaux, to name just a few). I don't expect people to go all Tolkien and develop family trees and language families before they publish something, but you can just look at something like Overwatch, a game that hasn't even released, and it has way more story, characters, and personality than AoS has scraped together since publication.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
And like, if we're supposed to care about the fluff in comparison to the older stuff or as a continuation of it, it might help if the new stuff didn't randomly retcon things for absolutely no reason. Like Sigmar being some kind of ultimate deity for ever and ever, or Ghal Maraz somehow going from being a diplomatic gift from a dwarf kingdom to human tribesmen to "the most powerful weapon in the universe". It would outright have been better for them to completely change the names and characters and have an entirely new cast if this is where they wanted to take things, but instead they have to eat what better writers wrote and digest it so they can really appreciate the smell of their own literary farts.

That's on top of the writers completely dispelling any sense of conflict in the setting. Everything is so huge that major losses or victories are meaningless because there are near infinite vistas of resources everywhere else, the Sigmarines pine for the "world that was" that they never knew while living in a comparable utopia of endless plenty, Chaos rampaged through realms for thousands of years without those realms being more affected than maybe having a gateway for more demons and poo poo to enter them (when the Old World got swallowed and digested; why are the realms so immune to Chaos influence if the Old World wasn't? No one writing this thought to ask that question), characters who die just respawn and are so one-dimensional and boring that "loss of identity" happened at the writer-to-keyboard level long before we supposedly had reasons to care, and one of the writers has outright stated that "the good guys will win".

You know what makes fighting for something compelling? Lack of assurance that they will win. Overwhelming odds against them. The ability to really feel a loss, because each loss is permanent and has a major cost to it. Actually fighting for good things instead of some weird lightning deity whose worship rituals include, from the very first fiction published about them in white dwarf, rites of ritual bloodletting in battle so that champions can be encased eternally in armor - literal loving Chaos Warrior poo poo, except now it's good somehow don't ask questions *sniiffffff*. Being told by one of the line's writers that there isn't really any conflict and the Sigmarines are the protagonists and will win and are never really going to be seriously threatened by what they're fighting is the opposite of basic 101-level fiction writing practices on how to get an audience hooked. And it's a setting about eternal war, so that's kind of a big loving issue.

Obviously people heap crap on them for twisting and retconning and destroying old favorites to fit whatever batshit agenda they have now, but even if they'd gone for an entirely new cast of names to avoid that criticism the fiction they're writing for this would still be some of the worst on the market.

Rulebook Heavily fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Apr 13, 2016

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

Ashcans posted:

Except Gardus, I guess, that sounds like it could be an actual name someone has. Why don't any of these appear on the site though? Are they just named versions of the generic models? That's kind of weak.

He's the one in the gold and blue right?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Pawl posted:

Ironjaws look a lot better when they're not wearing yellow

Pretty sure :getin: was the source for that Nurgle head.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Drone posted:

I thought there were multiples of them? I remember some official Black Library writer apparently having no clue how you pluralize words like that and then doing it wrong (it should be Celestants Prime you moron).

That was 'Lord Celestants' not 'Celestant Primes'.

Still irrationally irritating though.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

Ashcans posted:

Are they just named versions of the generic models? That's kind of weak.
we had these in fantasy too and they were just nobodies used as tertiary characters who's only purpose was to get killed by someone more important

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Night10194 posted:

I mean I suppose Manfred being called stupid, stupid idiot forever is something I can get behind a bit.

Manfred is the Jeb Bush of Vampires.

Pre-AoS Mannfred was the Karl Rove of Vampires and then Endtimes was his Election Night 2012 moment.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Apr 13, 2016

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Mannfred's role in the End Times should have been filled by Thanquol. They had a perfect character to pull some dumbass, backfiring backstabbing with and killed him off-screen for no reason.

Syrnn
Aug 16, 2004

It was a mercy killing. :ssh:

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Syrnn posted:

It was a mercy killing. :ssh:
I know. :smith:

Syrnn
Aug 16, 2004

I just learned about Drachenfels sort-of-kind-of return in End Times, only to go on to learn that Drachenfels author Kim Newman perma-waifu'd Genevieve the vampire. Either that or his fangsona is a sixteen year old girl from Brittany. :wtc:

edit: Still a better love story than AoS.

Syrnn fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Apr 13, 2016

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

Syrnn posted:

I just learned about Drachenfels sort-of-kind-of return in End Times, only to go on to learn that Drachenfels author Kim Newman perma-waifu'd Genevieve the vampire. Either that or his fangsona is a sixteen year old girl from Brittany. :wtc:

i was wondering what kind of woman would have a teenage vampire waifu so i clicked on the link to the author's profile and everything made sense

Syrnn
Aug 16, 2004

Doesn't it just? :allears: Reminds me of how looking at the picture of Terry Goodkind put everything about Sword of Truth into perspective.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
What the poo poo is this. :stare:

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Haha I'm glad I avoided those even in my deepest Vampire Counts fandom.

Business Gorillas posted:

i was wondering what kind of woman would have a teenage vampire waifu so i clicked on the link to the author's profile and everything made sense

This was a magical experience.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Syrnn posted:

edit: Still a better love story than AoS.

Ahahahahaha, I knew I got a bad vibe from those and avoided them for a reason.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Oh my god

:allears:

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

quote:

Celestant-Prime: The first of the Stormcast and the embodiement of Sigmar's storm, he wields the titular Warhammer, Ghal Maraz, into battle. He is the Avenging Angel of Azyr and the very comets are under his command.
Ionus Cryptborn: A Lord-Relictor that fought at the Eternals first incursion in the Brimstone Peninsula.
Vandus Hammerhand: Lord-Celestant of the Hammerhands, the first warrior-chamber of the Hammers of Sigmar.
Anactos Skyhelm: Leader of the Prosecutors and the Skyhost.
Orius Adamantine: Lord-Celestant of the Adamantine Warrior warrior-chamber of the Hammers of Sigmar.
Zephacleas: Lord-Celestant of the Beast-Bane warrior-chamber of the Astral Templars Stormhost.
Thostos Bladestorm: Lord-Celestant of the Celestial Vindicators Stormhost.
Gardus: Lord-Celestant of the Hallowed Knights Stormhost.

The least they could do is acknowledge SeventhSanctum in the writing credits

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Syrnn posted:

I just learned about Drachenfels sort-of-kind-of return in End Times,

Like everything in Endtimes, they missed a golden opportunity with Drachenfels and had him die like a chump. Same thing with Abhorash, now that I think about it.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

The Drachenfels books are not terrible compared to most of the GW books, but yea Yeovil's fixation on the character across his entire body of work sure is something. If you want to just close the loop on how bad it is:

quote:

According to Newman, her first name comes from a woman he once knew
Raises so many questions that I am pretty sure I don't want to contemplate the answers to :stare:

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

Slimnoid posted:

Like everything in Endtimes, they missed a golden opportunity with Drachenfels and had him die like a chump. Same thing with Abhorash, now that I think about it.

its like they knew they were going to pull out all of the stops but got too overwhelmed with all of the possibilities so, like a bugs bunny cartoon where they're carrying a giant stack of dishes, they slipped on a banana peel and broke everything

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Slimnoid posted:

Did Sad Mountain Vampire ever actually leave his mountain of sadness? Or did Abhorash just kinda sit up there and die?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Skinty McEdger posted:

Holy poo poo! Kroak is literally the Wednesday frog! How topical!

Happy Wednesday to you all!

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

It's kind of like when you find out that The Little Red Head Girl was based on a woman that Charles Schultz proposed to that turned him down before he married someone else. When interviewed forty years later about what his life would have been like if she had accepted and his answer was "perfect" and it tells you a lot. Having a guy you aren't interested in romantically make a character like that about you must be kind of unsettling and also lovely for any actual partner that person has.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Apr 13, 2016

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Night10194 posted:

Did Sad Mountain Vampire ever actually leave his mountain of sadness? Or did Abhorash just kinda sit up there and die?

Supposedly he was fighting alongside Giles de Briton during the Endtimes so yeah he left it eventually, I guess.

Radish posted:

It's kind of like when you find out that The Little Red Head Girl was based on a woman that Charles Schultz proposed to that turned him down before he married someone else. When interviewed forty years later about what his life would have been like if she had accepted and his answer was "perfect" and it tells you a lot. Having a guy you aren't interested in romantically make a character like that about you must be kind of unsettling and also lovely for any actual partner that person has.

James Raggi based Lamentations of the Flame Princess on a woman that rejected him, so it's a running thing with people and it's super loving creepy.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

Pawl posted:

Ironjaws look a lot better when they're not wearing yellow

Oh, look, Chaos Knights now ride on Heldrakes Bloodcrushers whatever those knockoffs are.

Remember when it was cool when the tie-in between Fantasy and 40k was subtle? Only Chaos was the same between both games, since Chaos exists in all realities and dimensions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syrnn
Aug 16, 2004

I hope Kim Newman is a goon these photos sure make the case so that he can log in one day to find us all posting pictures of him in the WARHAMMER Megathread.

• Locked thread