Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wicka
Jun 28, 2007

amazing that no one considered it'd be useful to have tiebreakers after a three race season

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tupacalypse
Jan 1, 2013

by Pragmatica
Let's not forget Dr. Jack Miller in the list of IRL greats.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Wherever you go, whatever you do, I will be right here waiting for you...

Yams Fan
If you haven't called your local liquor store that carries Fuzzy's and asked them about the Indy 500 bottle, you better do it :getin:

My local store has had like 20 people call asking about it (and they haven't been able to get it yet :ssj:)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

KingShibby posted:

If you haven't called your local liquor store that carries Fuzzy's and asked them about the Indy 500 bottle, you better do it :getin:

My local store has had like 20 people call asking about it (and they haven't been able to get it yet :ssj:)

the only good thing about the PLCB is that they would 100% special order this for me

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008

be nice wicka posted:

the only good thing about the PLCB is that they would 100% special order this for me

Didn't know you were a PA resident, wicka. I don't really drink vodka but I'd definitely buy this just for that bottle.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

George Zimmer posted:

I don't really drink vodka but I'd definitely buy this just for that bottle.
Same. Time to make the rounds this week.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

tupacalypse posted:

Let's not forget Dr. Jack Miller in the list of IRL greats.

that Crest livery owned tho

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

be nice wicka posted:

amazing that no one considered it'd be useful to have tiebreakers after a three race season

there should be a top-100 of the dumbest things in the history of the open wheel war. both "not having a tiebreak for the championship" and "that original schedule where every season ended at Indy" could both be there

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
How was the Disney oval? It looked interesting.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

http://www.racer.com/indycar/item/128201-indycar-series-makes-dome-skid-concession

quote:

Dome skids are staying, but there will be no strakes.

One week after an April 6 test of the setup at Indianapolis Motor Speedway, IndyCar released a statement saying manufacturers would be allowed a concession, but that would not include diffuser strakes.

I really can't make heads or tails of this stuff. The dome supposedly makes the cars more unstable, and not having strakes takes away downforce. So will this change make things lovely for the 500?

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Bentai posted:

I really can't make heads or tails of this stuff. The dome supposedly makes the cars more unstable, and not having strakes takes away downforce. So will this change make things lovely for the 500?
They are letting them drop the sidewalls (where a bunch of the downforce is made) by 9mm. So they are gaining back some downforce, but not as much as the strakes add. Should be noted that Andretti still turned a 223 in cold/windy conditions with the domed skid, no strakes, and smaller sidewalls, so it sounds like they are potentially still flat.

I think the bigger issue is just that the cars are going to be really fuckin hard to drive, which is both a good thing and a bad thing. I doubt you will see much of the close leapfrogging at the front that we've seen in years past.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Alain Post posted:

there should be a top-100 of the dumbest things in the history of the open wheel war. both "not having a tiebreak for the championship" and "that original schedule where every season ended at Indy" could both be there

I mean it IS the 20th anniversery of the season from hell, so if there was a year to do it? it'd be this one.

I still think a 30 for 30 about IndyCar V. the Indy 500 would be a hell of a thing to see.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Human Grand Prix posted:

How was the Disney oval? It looked interesting.

It sucked. It was a half-decent track that shared parking with loving Disney World which is a madhouse at the best of times. Also I'm pretty sure it's killed a few people. Impressive, considering it only had racing for ~10 years.

edit: No racer got killed but it is where Schmidt was paralyzed.

Peanut President fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Apr 14, 2016

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Eliseo Salazar got his feet impaled by a bit of suspension there too, though that may have been more of a thing where the inaugural season IRL teams used old Reynards and Lolas patched together with duct tape.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Someone did die there last year, but it was in one of those exotic car experience things. Inexplicably they were driving the wrong way around the track so they hit a guardrail end-on, with predictable results.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Alain Post posted:

Eliseo Salazar got his feet impaled by a bit of suspension there too, though that may have been more of a thing where the inaugural season IRL teams used old Reynards and Lolas patched together with duct tape.

I looked into this and there were '92 Lola's being entered. Jesus Christ.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Alain Post posted:

just so this doesn't come across as excessively pro-CART, you can also include CART's multiple failed attempts to try to undermine the Indy 500 by making their own "prestige" events like the Meadowlands Grand Prix

the Michigan 500 was cool, though

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Human Grand Prix posted:

I looked into this and there were '92 Lola's being entered. Jesus Christ.

I know, loving terrible, right?

Not like a certain popular driver was making races with a decade old tub in recent history, or anything.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I like that by 1989, the Marches had gotten so bad that AJ outqualified them all running a 1986 March as one of his team cars.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
that being said, the Porsche March chassis was actually quite good

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Some of the IRL drivers like Gosek, Stewart, Kinser Carlson, Hamilton, Boat and Jeff Ward were really awesome stories.

Gosek was a beast at supemodifieds
Stewart, Carlson, Hamilton and Boat...well..USAC legends.
Ward? loving Motocross champion driving at Indy. Ended up winning a race in 02.

The idea of the Indy 500 being the ultimate meeting of the world's best drivers from all sorts of disciplines is something I really think the sport should strive for.

I kinda like the idea of Indy being more "open" as it were for random entries Just a drat shame because I don't think we'd be able to pull that off any more in the year 2016.

The 25/8 rule was a poo poo idea. Giving guys like Hamilton and Boat a shot at the show? Well yeah, that should have been a thing.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

VikingSkull posted:

I know, loving terrible, right?

Not like a certain popular driver was making races with a decade old tub in recent history, or anything.

I think there was probably more difference between a Lola T92 and a Lola T95 than there was between Pork Chop and the last run of IR05s :v:

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Alain Post posted:

that being said, the Porsche March chassis was actually quite good

Unsers '88 March was good as well, but from what I understand it was quite different. The 86C was an excellent Chassis.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

IOwnCalculus posted:

I think there was probably more difference between a Lola T92 and a Lola T95 than there was between Pork Chop and the last run of IR05s :v:

True, but I've seen decade old cars run well before.

Tubs are tubs, the go fast parts are what's important.

FuzzySkinner posted:

Some of the IRL drivers like Gosek, Stewart, Kinser Carlson, Hamilton, Boat and Jeff Ward were really awesome stories.

Gosek was a beast at supemodifieds
Stewart, Carlson, Hamilton and Boat...well..USAC legends.
Ward? loving Motocross champion driving at Indy. Ended up winning a race in 02.

The idea of the Indy 500 being the ultimate meeting of the world's best drivers from all sorts of disciplines is something I really think the sport should strive for.

I kinda like the idea of Indy being more "open" as it were for random entries Just a drat shame because I don't think we'd be able to pull that off any more in the year 2016.

The 25/8 rule was a poo poo idea. Giving guys like Hamilton and Boat a shot at the show? Well yeah, that should have been a thing.

Did you say Joe Gosek?

Seizure Meat fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Apr 14, 2016

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

VikingSkull posted:

True, but I've seen decade old cars run well before.

Tubs are tubs, the go fast parts are what's important.

Did you say Joe Gosek?

Someone called him "terrible" in a previous post.

A wrong opinion if I've ever heard one.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
anyone that says Joe Gosek is terrible is a loving moron

that's like saying Dick Trickle was bad based on his NASCAR career

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Billy Boat had easily the most awkward-sounding voice I've heard out of a driver, except maybe Nicky Hayden.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
I stand by my previous comments regarding Mr. Gosek :colbert:

In other, more WTF news, Theodore Racing is back, somehow.
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/123757/theodore-name-back-in-indycar-with-rahal

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

dsriggs posted:

In other, more WTF news, Theodore Racing is back, somehow.
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/123757/theodore-name-back-in-indycar-with-rahal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c48llzdhtEM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=db7xpkffnIM

Double O is a legend in super modifieds. When you win at a place like Oswego? You're putting yourself in very elite company IMO.

Viking can probably do the guy's career more justice than me, but yeah, drat. He's a GOAT in that form of the sport.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

dsriggs posted:

how can you hate this

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Alain Post posted:

just so this doesn't come across as excessively pro-CART, you can also include CART's multiple failed attempts to try to undermine the Indy 500 by making their own "prestige" events like the Meadowlands Grand Prix

the Michigan 500 was cool, though

You could probably put "CART Management" at #1.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Human Grand Prix posted:

TBT to the time Roger Penske negotiated a deal with TG to have CART teams run Indy in 96. Would have expanded the field to 44 just for the sake of letting them in.

and the CART owners STILL wanted to have the US 500. STILL.

It's actually weird and stunning how many times reunification could have happened. 1999, 2004, 2006....just drat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6q-U7n2KFW0&t=3m0s

FuzzySkinner fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Apr 14, 2016

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Human Grand Prix posted:

What was the old line, CART was a success despite itself? Think that was Robin Miller, or maybe Gordon Kirby.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

FuzzySkinner posted:

TBT to the time Roger Penske negotiated a deal with TG to have CART teams run Indy in 96. Would have expanded the field to 44 just for the sake of letting them in.

and the CART owners STILL wanted to have the US 500. STILL.

This seems exceedingly unlikely since Penske owned MIS.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
I have a pretty good book on the split; the thing about Penske pushing for a unified Indy 500 was true, at least according to that.

My understanding is that Penske was getting pushed a lot by Philip Morris to go back to Indy; that's the main reason why he went back in 2001 and also why we went over full time in 2002 because Marlboro could only sponsor the team in one series and the Indy 500 meant more to them than the entire CART season.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Alain Post posted:

This seems exceedingly unlikely since Penske owned MIS.

http://www.upi.com/Archives/1996/02/23/CART-Indianapolis-500-in-negotiations/6725825051600/

Penske and George signed off on it. For whatever reason? Andrew Craig and the owners still said no.

IceAgeComing posted:

I have a pretty good book on the split; the thing about Penske pushing for a unified Indy 500 was true, at least according to that.

My understanding is that Penske was getting pushed a lot by Philip Morris to go back to Indy; that's the main reason why he went back in 2001 and also why we went over full time in 2002 because Marlboro could only sponsor the team in one series and the Indy 500 meant more to them than the entire CART season.

I think the argument to stay in CART was something like "But we have more global appeal here"

Marlboro went "LOL! Yeah. No. Michael loving Schumacher drives for us. No way you're going to ever be bigger than him globally. Go back to Indy. That's the only thing our American demographic cares about." (since you know...RJ Reynolds still sponsored Cup at that point)

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Dont bother trying to find blame in the CART/IRL split, because its just loving everyone. There are like 10,000 separate stupid events pilled up high that lead to one of the most fun and popular racing series in history being relegated to NBC Sports and relying on Hydroxycut to sponsor a 4 time champion.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

How far back can you go with events that, while not intentionally leading to The Split, probably helped cause it in hindsight? Patrick Racing shipping a Chevy/Ilmor to Alfa in 1989/1990, kicking everyone into the leased-engine mentality?

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Honestly you can probably go back to the 60s when the rear-engined cars showed up and started causing the rift with the dirt trackers and USAC. You can trace a pretty direct line from that to the Gurney White Papers and the split with USAC/CART, to the CART/IRL split, to today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
I'd say the foundation for the split was laid during the '64 500 and the gas war aftermath

'64 may have been the most important Indy 500 ever run, tbh

• Locked thread