Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
NO UNITASKERS

Now that we got that out of the way, in order to build this smoker you need an old refrigerator with a hole cut in the side, 2 clay flower pots, a hot plate, some dryer duct , a pie pan and an oscillating fan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

NO UNITASKERS

Now that we got that out of the way, in order to build this smoker you need an old refrigerator with a hole cut in the side, 2 clay flower pots, a hot plate, some dryer duct , a pie pan and an oscillating fan.

To be fair, that episode was a poke at Iron Chef. The wing contraption is dumb as poo poo though. Yeah, you could steam 3 layers of other things, but realistically you'd never use it.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.
I first started to learn how to cook to subconsciously connect with my dad who always wanted to be a chef but had to settle for being a factory worker and single father. I started the journey by watching every episode of Good Eats and writing down the recipes that looked delicious and interesting. It was about 200 recipes big and I ended up getting to recipe 70~ I think before I started branching out to other cooking personalities and cookbooks.

If he is casually racist it doesn't bother me. Living in a red state you're going to have at least one friend/co-worker/family member with stupid opinions, and you just have to cringe and ignore it and love them anyway. What bothers me is that since Good Eats ended (possibly a little bit before) he comes off a little douch-y. When he was coming up with skits and wrangling puppets he came off as really humble and if he had an ego he was tounge-in-cheek about it.

But now that he's had a podcast and been a host/judge on somebody else's show for so long he has this aire of celebrity about him that really turns me off. Like he knows he's hot-poo poo now and this somehow makes him the ultimate authority on cooking. I decided I'd had enough when he came out with the most complicated grilled cheese sandwich in the universe.

Croatoan posted:

Yeah FGR's nailed it. I'd also like to add that there's a definite line where you're learning the science behind cooking and why you do it and AB was mind blowing but once you get past that hurdle, looking back it's all over complicated and silly.
Just look at this poo poo.

When I first started getting into cooking, I was so convinced I had to do everything by the book that I refused to make his hot-wings recipe until I could make one of those. Then a few years passed without that happening and I learned it wasn't that big a deal and I could just dump them all on top of one another.

MrSlam fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Apr 13, 2016

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
There's being a douche, then being a douche well. Anthony Bourdain is famously kind of a douche, but he's up front about "Hey, I am kind of a super rear end in a top hat, if that bothers you, this might not be the show\book for you. If not, come along for my drunk crochety antics". Alton presents himself as a fun adorable guy who makes cooking FUN! And it's a little more jarring when he's making super inappropriate not funny jokes at book signings.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Suspect Bucket posted:

There's being a douche, then being a douche well. Anthony Bourdain is famously kind of a douche, but he's up front about "Hey, I am kind of a super rear end in a top hat, if that bothers you, this might not be the show\book for you. If not, come along for my drunk crochety antics". Alton presents himself as a fun adorable guy who makes cooking FUN! And it's a little more jarring when he's making super inappropriate not funny jokes at book signings.

Bourdain also had a great callout on Paula Deen when she started fronting for the diabeetus drug company.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Bourdain is also part of what makes the best episode of Archer the best episode.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Alton is good at being a TV host, reaching new cooks, and getting them excited about learning some of the 'why' instead of just following the directions step by step. I've watched every episode of Good Eats or close to it, and it was a huge influence on me wanted to learn more. Especially back when Good Eats was new, there really wasn't anything like it. All the other shows were "Oohh this is going to be wonderful. Now I add this and this and this, cook, oh isn't that lovely" with very little information beyond a visual recipe.

I haven't thought about Alton in years, if he wants to be a prick or whatever, that's fine with me. He already left a legacy of a bunch of quality food television.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Trebuchet King posted:

Bourdain is also part of what makes the best episode of Archer the best episode.

Bourdain's one of my favorites. Volunteered at the food & wine festival, met him. He asked me where I worked, I said 'hotel brand'. He said "Well why in the gently caress would you work there with so much talent and knowledge?!" Told him I'm married, want kids, and my wife has a better paying job. He says to me "Smart kid. Good luck!"

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Isn't AB a born again Christian or something too? That alone is enough to make me hate him.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Well, I once met Anthony Bourdain too, and he spontaneously grovelled at my feet and said "why the gently caress are you so amazing holy poo poo you're the best person I wish I was you you are so talented I love you and wish I had your life", and I said "this is getting a bit tedious, maybe I should call you Anthony BORING"
and Rachel Ray ran over and gave me a slippery EVOO handjob while eating an omelette I made

True story

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Scientastic posted:

Well, I once met Anthony Bourdain too, and he spontaneously grovelled at my feet and said "why the gently caress are you so amazing holy poo poo you're the best person I wish I was you you are so talented I love you and wish I had your life", and I said "this is getting a bit tedious, maybe I should call you Anthony BORING"
and Rachel Ray ran over and gave me a slippery EVOO handjob while eating an omelette I made

True story

Anthony Bourdain ate my dog and kicked my cat

But he was pretty up front about it

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Apr 13, 2016

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib
Once Alton wiped his blog and Food Network Humor went offline, a lot of the history showing Alton's personality change vanished with them.

Scientastic posted:

Rachel Ray ran over and gave me a slippery EVOO handjob while eating an omelette I made

True story

I need the Motherless number to this. Uhh.... asking for a friend.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Scientastic posted:

True story

You wanna poke fun at me, that's fine. But that actually happened. Sure, it's the internet and all, and I could be lying. But I'm not.

And I'm not "amazing". I'll say I'm pretty good at what I do, but many more are better than this at me. I chose family over career, so I went the safe path and ignored the opportunities of James Beard restaurants and Michelin stars. Is hotel cooking boring? You bet your rear end it is. Do I have a life outside of work? Yep.

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

Marta Velasquez posted:

Food Network Humor went offline

I hadn't realized that this happened and now I am sad :(

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
I now exist in a place where I might be going to LV this weekend for work. But I might not. This is dumb as hell and I wish I never even entertained the idea in the first place. I have already demanded a business class ticket and a room at the Bellagio, I don't think that is being taken seriously though, which is a shame as I am 100% serious.

I am amazed that no one realizes that if they paid and treated percent people they could actually hire and retain full time staff and not have to deal with shithead prima donna contractors like myself, but what do I know?

In any case, if I go I will be with a coworker who is into food but not really seafood, where should we go for dinners? We will not really be able to make reservations more then an hour or so in advance and I don't think she is going to be up for like face-meat tacos and such.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

bongwizzard posted:

In any case, if I go I will be with a coworker who is into food but not really seafood, where should we go for dinners? We will not really be able to make reservations more then an hour or so in advance and I don't think she is going to be up for like face-meat tacos and such.

Chada Street. Their ground-based protein game is extremely strong. Order the crab fat fried rice and if your coworker won't eat it you'll have a full plate of one of the best dishes in Vegas all to yourself.

Bouchon should be able to fit you in with a bit of notice and is excellent.

Any restaurant on the third floor of the Cosmopolitan, especially Jaleo (secreto; jamon iberico by the ounce; paella done over actual wood fires) or China Poblano.

Downtown: Carson Kitchen (turducken pot pie with schmaltz biscuits; fried chicken skins with smoked honey; any dish involving brassica because this chef is seriously a cabbage/broccoli/etc. magician), Chow (newly opened and I haven't been, but good reviews and it's across the street from the best bar in town)

Circus Circus is a run-down piece of poo poo hotel that smells like stale dreams and old clown, but the steakhouse is consistently one of the best in the state with below-expected pricing.

I should really start a Vegas eating thread at some point...

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

also when Bourdain went to the Waffle House down in Charleston that was pretty great.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

bartolimu posted:

Chada Street. Their ground-based protein game is extremely strong. Order the crab fat fried rice and if your coworker won't eat it you'll have a full plate of one of the best dishes in Vegas all to yourself.

Bouchon should be able to fit you in with a bit of notice and is excellent.

Any restaurant on the third floor of the Cosmopolitan, especially Jaleo (secreto; jamon iberico by the ounce; paella done over actual wood fires) or China Poblano.

Downtown: Carson Kitchen (turducken pot pie with schmaltz biscuits; fried chicken skins with smoked honey; any dish involving brassica because this chef is seriously a cabbage/broccoli/etc. magician), Chow (newly opened and I haven't been, but good reviews and it's across the street from the best bar in town)

Circus Circus is a run-down piece of poo poo hotel that smells like stale dreams and old clown, but the steakhouse is consistently one of the best in the state with below-expected pricing.

Cool, thanks man! It looks like I (might) be at the convention center, so Circus Circus is already on my list for post work drinks and people watching.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Marta Velasquez posted:

Once Alton wiped his blog and Food Network Humor went offline, a lot of the history showing Alton's personality change vanished with them.

Oh Christ, again? The dude has a history of this. In 2002-3ish he refused to have an e-mail address fans could contact him (or his people) at because, apparently, "People are cruel". You could only send media requests to his agent. And this was on the Fan Mail tab of his page. I think you'd have to look this up on the Wayback machine though.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

bartolimu posted:

Or write a book.

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Fallen Rib

esperantinc posted:

I hadn't realized that this happened and now I am sad :(

I miss the occasional reminder that Debbie Lee is, in fact, Korean.

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Fallen Rib

Suspect Bucket posted:

Oh Christ, again? The dude has a history of this. In 2002-3ish he refused to have an e-mail address fans could contact him (or his people) at because, apparently, "People are cruel". You could only send media requests to his agent. And this was on the Fan Mail tab of his page. I think you'd have to look this up on the Wayback machine though.

Yeah. He nuked it right after he had the meltdown that no one on Twitter should be allowed to retweet him.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
what should I make for dinner tonight?

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Marta Velasquez posted:

Yeah. He nuked it right after he had the meltdown that no one on Twitter should be allowed to retweet him.

What

Nooner posted:

what should I make for dinner tonight?

Shakshuka

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

AnonSpore posted:

What

Shakshuka

eggs are for breakfast not for dinner, please do not troll

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Nooner posted:

eggs are for breakfast not for dinner, please do not troll

But it's an objective fact that breakfast is the best thing to have for dinner, do not reverse troll me

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

AnonSpore posted:

But it's an objective fact that breakfast is the best thing to have for dinner, do not reverse troll me

tbf that does sound pretty good and I have most of the stuff I need, so might pick up the rest of the stuff and have that for brekkie tomorrow. but for now dinner is the question.

GBS is trying to get me to either eat A. poo poo or B. Nachos, please save me GWS :ohdear:

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Alton Brown's apparently a lifelong Southern Baptist, but not one of the really horrible congregations. My understanding is he went through a deeply unpleasant divorce and has had problems with people targeting his kids through social media, which may be a factor in his public persona. I've never heard any good sources regarding racism on his part(everything online seems to trace back to one person's blogpost). On the other hand, the naturalistic fallacy "you can't pronounce those chemical names on the ingredient list" stuff on Good Eats was pretty frustrating to witness.

Nooner posted:

tbf that does sound pretty good and I have most of the stuff I need, so might pick up the rest of the stuff and have that for brekkie tomorrow. but for now dinner is the question.

GBS is trying to get me to either eat A. poo poo or B. Nachos, please save me GWS :ohdear:

Porque no los dos?

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

nooner eat the eggs

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Fallen Rib

He wanted a gimmick where he didn't have any tweets to exist over 24 hours. He wanted to have the "freshest" tweets, so he deleted everything over a day old every day.

An account was created called Good Retweets (genius name) with the Alton Brown puppet as its avatar. It retweeted everything AB tweeted. AB closed his account and melted down on his blog. A month or so later (I'm guessing Food Network made him), he reactivated his account. He also wiped his blog. He also "tweeted" by writing on a Post-It and taking a picture so it couldn't be indexed.

I think he still does the Post-It thing and deletes tweets, but I don't think he brings it up anymore. I'd check but I'm phone posting.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Discendo Vox posted:

My understanding is he went through a deeply unpleasant divorce and has had problems with people targeting his kids through social media, which may be a factor in his public persona.

That's the first point I can totally get behind. Dude just seemed like a nutter until you mentioned that. No one should say something about a dude's kids. I can see why he went nuts on Twitter if they were doxing him or generally talking trash about his kids.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
I made a nacho check it out http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3772186&pagenumber=2#post458682721

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

I'm concerned you might have Parkinson's.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Way to grey that meat

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

FishBulb posted:

Way to grey that meat

what did I do wrong? I just put the meat in the pan and the pan made the meat hot, is there something else im supposed to do? :confused:

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Nooner posted:

what did I do wrong? I just put the meat in the pan and the pan made the meat hot, is there something else im supposed to do? :confused:

Use much higher heat if you're gonna put that much meat in the pan

also is there cheese on those nachos or what?

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
YES DAMMIT THER EWAS CHEESE A LOT IT WAS JUST COVERED BY ALL THE TOPPINGS lol everyonew is ragging on me for this...

but okay like so i pretty much just turned the pan on and dumped in the meat, in this case I should have let it get like pretty hot first before addign the meat im guessing?

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I feel like I don't "get" Nooner's posting. Are we supposed to laugh at the kerazy antics of an "ironic" idiot, or is he genuinely just a bit of a fool?

Because I don't think he's funny enough to be ironic, but I'm not sure he's realistic enough to be an actual moron...

I guess maybe it's American humour.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Marta Velasquez posted:

I'm American, and I've never once been asked about this. Asking about spirituality in particular is almost asking for a discrimination lawsuit.

This is some modern Scandinavian poo poo, to be fair. Not everywhere but enough to be a nuisance on the regular.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Scientastic posted:

I feel like I don't "get" Nooner's posting. Are we supposed to laugh at the kerazy antics of an "ironic" idiot, or is he genuinely just a bit of a fool?

Because I don't think he's funny enough to be ironic, but I'm not sure he's realistic enough to be an actual moron...

I guess maybe it's American humour.

As an american I don't really know what it is either.

Actually Nooner that looks like it could be fairly good but you def gotta get a pretty hot pan going and crisp the meat a little bit then remove it. Cook smaller amounts of it at a time. Getting the little crispy bits on it really helps the flavor.