Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

McSpanky posted:

Speaking of, does anyone remember a different version of the updated X-Wings in the very first TFA trailer? The wings were offset instead of stacked flat with the lower set fit ahead of the upper set when they were folded up, it looked pretty cool.

This?

They're either still like that in the final movie or every toy is wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002
I don't really read comics but I've been wanting to know about C-3POs red arm since the movie (silly, I know) and there is supposed to be a comic out today that explains it but I can't find out how to buy it. Can't you just download them these days? Is it just too early in the day or am I missing something? Do I have to actually find a comic book shop somewhere?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Invicta{HOG}, M.D. posted:

I don't really read comics but I've been wanting to know about C-3POs red arm since the movie (silly, I know) and there is supposed to be a comic out today that explains it but I can't find out how to buy it. Can't you just download them these days? Is it just too early in the day or am I missing something? Do I have to actually find a comic book shop somewhere?

It'll be on Comixology.com at some point. Usually I check after 10 AM eastern and Marvel stuff is all up by then.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
I didn't recognize Threepio in the new movie.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Is James Robinson any good?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

zoux posted:

Starman is one of the best comics of the 90s. The golden age miniseries is also really good, along with the JSA he did.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

He's the epitome of "sometimes".

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Well $5 on a one shot isn't much of a gamble so I got it y'all. It's got goofy art.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

redbackground posted:

He's the epitome of "sometimes".
Honestly, I think good James Robinson is the exception at this point.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

OK I read it, the premise is C3PO is part of a mission to take a captive First Order droid back for questioning, but they crash land! C3PO, the captive protocol droid, and four other assorted droids have to travel across a monster-filled world to complete their mission. It was fine, completely inessential, but it gets into morality issues about sentience, memory and SW droids if that interests you at all.

As for the arm: it gets ripped off by some river monster. At the end, as C3PO and the prisoner, the last droids alive, huddle under a crashed TIE Fighter wing to hide from an acid storm, the prisoner sacrifices himself to go out and activate a beacon to call for rescue for C3PO. But! The acid raid reveals a coat of red primer underneath the prisoner droid's black finish, and only the left arm survives.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

zoux posted:

OK I read it, the premise is C3PO is part of a mission to take a captive First Order droid back for questioning, but they crash land! C3PO, the captive protocol droid, and four other assorted droids have to travel across a monster-filled world to complete their mission. It was fine, completely inessential, but it gets into morality issues about sentience, memory and SW droids if that interests you at all.

As for the arm: it gets ripped off by some river monster. At the end, as C3PO and the prisoner, the last droids alive, huddle under a crashed TIE Fighter wing to hide from an acid storm, the prisoner sacrifices himself to go out and activate a beacon to call for rescue for C3PO. But! The acid raid reveals a coat of red primer underneath the prisoner droid's black finish, and only the left arm survives.

So everyone jokes about the new arm for C3P0 being like Punished Snake in MGS5, but it actually more like Ocelot arm in MGS2

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002
Now I have bought and read a comic book to find out the backstory of something in a movie. What has this world come to? I suppose more and more things will be like this in the Star Wars universe and the books and comics will tie in with the movies. I understand it but hope I can avoid falling for such useless need for information in the future! Thanks everyone!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Now I have bought and read a comic book to find out the backstory of something in a movie. What has this world come to? I suppose more and more things will be like this in the Star Wars universe and the books and comics will tie in with the movies. I understand it but hope I can avoid falling for such useless need for information in the future! Thanks everyone!

If you like Star Wars all the new Marvel SW comics slay.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Nah, man. Pick up the latest issue of Star Wars to find out why Leia called Han a scruffy looking nerf herder. Seriously.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Pfft, Nerfs are big cattle-like animals that live on Alderaan, the games already answered that.

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002
I've never really read or paid attention to anything other than the movies so I don't really know about any of the extended universe stuff that got wiped away by Disney. Maybe I'll check out some of the other comics if they are good, though.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I've never really read or paid attention to anything other than the movies so I don't really know about any of the extended universe stuff that got wiped away by Disney. Maybe I'll check out some of the other comics if they are good, though.

No, all the new comics are in the canon.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Rirse posted:

So everyone jokes about the new arm for C3P0 being like Punished Snake in MGS5, but it actually more like Ocelot arm in MGS2

"Oh dear, Mistress Leia, I appear to live on..."

*cocks head to the side*

"through this arm."

:crossarms:

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

zoux posted:

No, all the new comics are in the canon.

Right, I was meaning to say that things might actually be more interesting now that there is an official canon. In the past I didn't care because they weren't written by Lucas and thus could be wiped at any time. Which happened. Now the stories seem more meaningful because they may tie into something that was on the screen.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Right, I was meaning to say that things might actually be more interesting now that there is an official canon. In the past I didn't care because they weren't written by Lucas and thus could be wiped at any time. Which happened. Now the stories seem more meaningful because they may tie into something that was on the screen.
Lucas has less to do with Star Wars now than he ever has.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Mostly no, but there are a few big off screen moments that happen in the comics.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Aphrodite posted:

Pfft, Nerfs are big cattle-like animals that live on Alderaan, the games already answered that.

Yeah, but Han and Luke illegally transported a group of them because that is farm boy Luke's idea of smuggling.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

That can still happen. The comics fill in holes the movies left, not the other way around. Which is how it always worked

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
So far i think the only thing in the comics that ties into the movies is the arc where Poe's parents have sex and make a baby.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

site posted:

So far i think the only thing in the comics that ties into the movies is the arc where Poe's parents have sex and make a baby.

How Vader finds out about Luke is what I was referring to.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

zoux posted:

How Vader finds out about Luke is what I was referring to.

On yeah, even though I recently watched empire again and realized that whole thing is actually a weird retcon, that scene is way good.

And i see in addition to dumb c3p0 Vader is out today, so looking forward to reading that.

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

redbackground posted:

Lucas has less to do with Star Wars now than he ever has.

This is a good post

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The movies take precedence, obviously. The rumour is that the Rebels cartoon will probably end after its next season because it conflicts with Rogue One.

There's a lot of good stuff in the old EU comics. It's worth giving them a shot.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Wheat Loaf posted:

The movies take precedence, obviously. The rumour is that the Rebels cartoon will probably end after its next season because it conflicts with Rogue One.

I can't find the tweet but Pablo Hidalgo said that's bullshit.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Fair enough. What I heard is that one problem they have is the way there's Jedi surviving and being involved in the Rebellion early on, which doesn't tally with the fact that the Rebels apparently don't have any Jedi they can send to steal the Death Star plans in Rogue One. Regardless, it goes to an issue I think the new EU needs to avoid - I feel like having a bunch of Old Republic Jedi surviving Order 66 (there's about 10,000 Jedi before the Empire purges them, which is a drop in the ocean in a galaxy with a population that's probably in the quadrillions, so if they're reduced down even to triple figures that's probably few enough that Tarkin can reasonably claim they're extinct in ANH) isn't an issue in and of itself but having them involved in the Rebellion from its inception sort of weakens Luke's story in the trilogy.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Well Ahsoka has been removed from the picture (for now) and there are still 3-4 years until Rofue One/ANH so Kanan and Ezra might excuse themselves off on some grand adventure again like they did for their trip to malachor ("the Inquisitors are after us not the Rebels").

They only have to be kept away from Luke for four or so years. Maybe send them off into the unknown region on long term "Jedi Business".

Or just kill them off, yeah. But I like Kanan too much to want to see him whacked just because of one line from Yoda to Luke.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Kanaan's going to have to die or get taken out of the picture just like Ahsoka was. Search your feelings, you know it to be true.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Galaga Galaxian posted:

They only have to be kept away from Luke for four or so years. Maybe send them off into the unknown region on long term "Jedi Business".

Considering the rumors about season 3 introducing :swoon:GRAND ADMIRAL THRAWN!!!:swoon:, that could very well be the case.

I make no apologies for my fanboyism.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Considering the rumors about season 3 introducing :swoon:GRAND ADMIRAL THRAWN!!!:swoon:, that could very well be the case.

I make no apologies for my fanboyism.

Let it go EU people.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
I've really enjoyed all the SW comics Marvel has put out except Obi-Wan and Anakin and Kanan. I think the lesson for me is just avoid anything dealing with the prequels, there's nothing good that can be done with that sandbox.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Tato posted:

I've really enjoyed all the SW comics Marvel has put out except Obi-Wan and Anakin and Kanan. I think the lesson for me is just avoid anything dealing with the prequels, there's nothing good that can be done with that sandbox.

It's all the same sandbox though.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

zoux posted:

Let it go EU people.

No let them have this. The whining will be hilarious when "fan favorite" characters get taken down by the B team.

"Buh,buh but he was their greatest enemy!"l :cry:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Whoa TFA was so positive for women role models in film even Milo Manara can't bring himself to overly sexualize Rey:

Picklepuss
Jul 12, 2002

zoux posted:

Whoa TFA was so positive for women role models in film even Milo Manara can't bring himself to overly sexualize Rey:

That's a challenge Frank Cho would accept, I'm sure. :grin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

SirDan3k posted:

No let them have this. The whining will be hilarious when "fan favorite" characters get taken down by the B team.

"Buh,buh but he was their greatest enemy!"l :cry:

Cf. reaction to portrayal of Mandalorians in Clone Wars cartoon.