Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

broken clock opsec posted:

:siren: x server functional in windows 10 with ubuntu :siren:

Yawn. Call me when you get Mir working.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Lol why the gently caress doesn't CPIO support xattrs? What in the god drat gently caress?

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

It looks like it cancannot if you use the ustar format.

CPIO is too old, use tar.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

ratbert90 posted:

Lol why the gently caress doesn't CPIO support xattrs? What in the god drat gently caress?

IBM paid red hat a lot of money to write a CPIO fork that could support files greater than 2GB.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

MrMoo posted:

It looks like it cancannot if you use the ustar format.

CPIO is too old, use tar.

Initramfs built into the kernel doesn't support tar. Is it possible to use initramfs in tar format? Probably not.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Suspicious Dish posted:

IBM paid red hat a lot of money to write a CPIO fork that could support files greater than 2GB.

for aix users? mainframe? what on earth was this needed for?

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

ratbert90 posted:

Initramfs built into the kernel doesn't support tar. Is it possible to use initramfs in tar format? Probably not.

use initrd instead and then you don't have to worry about it

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

i'm installing centos on a vps that i'm switching over to, as is correct and proper

how do I make tab completion for yum/dnf work with either zsh or bash? it doesn't seem to function out of the box, and since there's no aptitude equivalent and all the packages have their versions tacked onto the end, there's basically no way to install a package (that I've stumbled across yet)

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

install bash-completion; you can omit the versions

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

for aix users? mainframe? what on earth was this needed for?

they ship disk images as rpm files

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Zom Aur posted:

heads up

arch linux updated to gtk3 3.20 and now a lot of themes are broken until updated

instead of just defaulting to the standard theme things will just be transparent and hosed

lol

ah so that's why firefox now looks complete batshit. thanks arch. tharch.

you'd think someone would have tested this with a web browser, the one thing on linux where it actually makes sense to use a gui app

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker
Wait, what the gently caress, RPM uses CPIO? I was actually just wondering the other day how RPMs/DEBs indicate how the tarball is compressed. I never imagined that the answer was that they don't use a tarball. (Well, DEB still might.)

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Athas posted:

Wait, what the gently caress, RPM uses CPIO? I was actually just wondering the other day how RPMs/DEBs indicate how the tarball is compressed. I never imagined that the answer was that they don't use a tarball. (Well, DEB still might.)

deb uses ar

seriously

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Deb uses AR to combine the control and the data archives into one file. the archives themselves are tarballs that can be compressed with your favourite open sores fad compression.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

2032: all restaurants are taco bell, all operating systems are linux

2038: civilization collapses

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Gazpacho posted:

2032: all restaurants are taco bell, all operating systems are linux

2038: civilization collapses

im at the combination microsoft and linux shell

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

use initrd instead and then you don't have to worry about it

Not going to happen. SELinux Xatters aren't supported by initrd or initramfs as far as I can tell.

Thanks Linux for making things lovely on the embedded side again!

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
an initrd is a block device, you can put whatever filesystem you want on it

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Mr Dog posted:

an initrd is a block device, you can put whatever filesystem you want on it

But can it be the entire filing system?

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
if you really want you could probably write a statically linked initramfs containing just a handful of files that untar the "real" rootfs into ram

pretty sure ramfs supports xattrs even if cpio doesn't. ramfs is just the linux inode and block cache without any backing store, it's a pretty sw8 design

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Mr Dog posted:

if you really want you could probably write a statically linked initramfs containing just a handful of files that untar the "real" rootfs into ram

pretty sure ramfs supports xattrs even if cpio doesn't. ramfs is just the linux inode and block cache without any backing store, it's a pretty sw8 design

Yes, it does. However I want to preserve the xattrs into the ramfs image. CPIO fucks with this so initramfs is right out. Initrd would be the next best option I guess, just frustrating getting it going on the environment.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

ratbert90 posted:

But can it be the entire filing system?

yes. it's just a block device.

it's not a super efficient way of using ram because everything ends up in ram twice, and initramfs is a way better solution to the problem that initrds used to solve but if you really had to then you could use a ramdisk as the block device behind your rootfs.

suggest using squashfs as the fs on your initrd, but it is a fundamentally read-only filesystem so you'll need to mount the rw bits of your filesystem elsewhere.

mind giving a more detailed description of your use case?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Mr Dog posted:

yes. it's just a block device.

it's not a super efficient way of using ram because everything ends up in ram twice, and initramfs is a way better solution to the problem that initrds used to solve but if you really had to then you could use a ramdisk as the block device behind your rootfs.

suggest using squashfs as the fs on your initrd, but it is a fundamentally read-only filesystem so you'll need to mount the rw bits of your filesystem elsewhere.

mind giving a more detailed description of your use case?

The use case is that I want a single file FS (That way updates to the product are easy in the future), and SELinux enabled (To lock the device down and prevent tampering, as telnet (Yes telnet, and no, I am not allowed to disable it) will be enabled.

So my idea was originally to create a SELinux policy, set the file contexts before hand, create the initramfs, bundle it in with the kernel, and call it a day. But that's not going to happen. So perhaps I just need to really dig in and get initrd going.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

:shittypop:

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Yeah I'd say for your particular case go with a squashfs initrd and have it mount a ramfs on /var or whatever. Wikipedia sez squashfs supports xattrs and has done for some time.

I have similar problems (minus the selinux-to-secure-telnet bit (lol btw))

Except my bootloader (U-Boot) is so loving bad that I ended up going with some awful three-stage setup because it loads the kernel and initrd at about 300KB/sec.

You'd think this would be a solved problem. I investigated integrating OSTree with OpenEmbedded but holy poo poo it was a lot of work and my deadlines were way too tight to do an acceptable job of it.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
disclaimer: Embedded Linux still is still slightly new to me so I might possibly not be the best person to ask.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Mr Dog posted:

Yeah I'd say for your particular case go with a squashfs initrd and have it mount a ramfs on /var or whatever. Wikipedia sez squashfs supports xattrs and has done for some time.

I have similar problems (minus the selinux-to-secure-telnet bit (lol btw))

Except my bootloader (U-Boot) is so loving bad that I ended up going with some awful three-stage setup because it loads the kernel and initrd at about 300KB/sec.

You'd think this would be a solved problem. I investigated integrating OSTree with OpenEmbedded but holy poo poo it was a lot of work and my deadlines were way too tight to do an acceptable job of it.

Uboot isn't bad, that's what embedded Linux uses for the most part to boot a kernel. And yes, the telnet thing is stupid, but this product is a stop gap between generations of product, and has to have a backwards compatibility mode to act and look like the old product, which has telnet.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Yeah don't get me wrong I like U-Boot for the most part but this particular build of U-Boot sux in that particular regard so unfortunately I have to live with it. Boot speed is not super important for this application but all the same I'd rather not spend literally two minutes in the bootloader, if for no other reason than it makes development frustrating.

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

cool

Cygwin could do the same thing

also why would i want x server on windows

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe

:five:

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

ratbert90 posted:

Yes, it does. However I want to preserve the xattrs into the ramfs image. CPIO fucks with this so initramfs is right out. Initrd would be the next best option I guess, just frustrating getting it going on the environment.

that sucks

xnu can use any supported filesystem on a disk image, including one entirely in RAM

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

eschaton posted:

that sucks

xnu can use any supported filesystem on a disk image, including one entirely in RAM

your derivative shaggar gimmick needs some work, try again

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Mr Dog posted:

your derivative shaggar gimmick needs some work, try again

I don't think shaggars gimmick is licensed for that anyway

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

new forum title please

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe

Breakfast All Day posted:

new forum title please

:agreed:

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

ratbert90 posted:

initrd is literally just a compressed filesystem image expanded into memory. if you want xattrs or whatever, it's there. it's totally up to you.

it sounds like you wanted initrd all along and built your poo poo around initramfs, a dead 1990s technology

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

eschaton posted:

that sucks

this has been the case for linux longer than "xnu" has been called "xnu"

embedded developers just have terrible tunnel vision. (and i can hardly blame them for it: embedded dev promotes that viewpoint.)

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

initrd is literally just a compressed filesystem image expanded into memory. if you want xattrs or whatever, it's there. it's totally up to you.

it sounds like you wanted initrd all along and built your poo poo around initramfs, a dead 1990s technology

Initramfs is newer than initrd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

initrd came first and was replaced by initramfs, hth

pseudorandom name fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Apr 14, 2016