Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

I don't think this week was particularly well written, but in Nahiri's place I think it would not be unreasonable to believe that Sorin and Ugin took advantage of her and used her. That's pretty much what happened. She's pissed off at that. Her world was chosen instead of Innistrad or Tarkir because she was the junior partner in this cooperative.

Nah, she's like "Sorin plz help" and he's like "gimme a second I just got done creating my perfect waifu" and Nahiri immediately goes "gently caress YOU" and attacks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

So although they didn't state it specifically, it seems obvious that Nahiri got tossed in the Helvault. Sorin doesn't want to kill her, or he would have done it when they fought. He can't let her go, or she'll keep bugging him to keep watch over the Eldrazi. The fact that the story mentions the Helvault multiple times for no real reason and makes a point of saying that Nahiri's lithomancy doesn't affect it makes it a sure thing. Also note that the art foe Sorin, Grim Nemesis has the blown-up Helvault in the background. So I guess Nahiri gets out when the Helvault is broken, goes back to Zendikar, sees that Eldrazi have gotten loose, and she understandably totally loses her poo poo.

What the story seems to be implying is that that Helvault was not primarily built as a prison. I think it was an antenna for some kind of damping field: Something that hides the plane's mana from Eldrazi, the opposite effect of the hedrons, and incidentally blocks interplanar signals. So when Thalia blew it up, she basically hosed everything up because in one stroke she released Nahiri AND enabled Nahiri to lure Emrakul to Innistrad.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

If Emrakul is the mysterious corruption then I lose all interest in Innistrad. Zendikar was better pre-Eldrazi just like Mirrodin was better pre-Phyrexians. Having lesser villains and more infighting makes for a more interesting block in my opinion.

Of course, I only think that because I can't afford the inevitable Mythic win buttons. :negative:

They need some more new planes in the rotation anyway. When will they visit Shandalar or Muraganda?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Who was that person that said declaration in stone wasn't the best removal in the format?

Well that person was wrong, even in control I am maindecking 4 of these bitches.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Sickening posted:

Who was that person that said declaration in stone wasn't the best removal in the format?

Well that person was wrong, even in control I am maindecking 4 of these bitches.

It's actually much better in constructed than in limited but yes. It's the best removal spell in the format by far.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

That was me, and again, I only said that because I thought that Eldrazi were going to turn into the new Abzan.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Sickening posted:

I am so glad I bought mine when they were $4.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

I've come around on it after seeing it in action. As it turns out the exile, hitting multiple creatures and token elements of the cards are all super relevant in current standard.
As Mcmagic noted, it isn't actually great in limited. It's actually a significant downgrade from bound by moonsilver.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

I opened 6 in prereleases + a Box so I've got my set and trades.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014

NofrikinfuN posted:

If Emrakul is the mysterious corruption then I lose all interest in Innistrad. Zendikar was better pre-Eldrazi just like Mirrodin was better pre-Phyrexians. Having lesser villains and more infighting makes for a more interesting block in my opinion.

New Phyrexia is leagues above anything they'd done since Old Phyrexia, besides maybe Ravinca.

quote:

They need some more new planes in the rotation anyway. When will they visit Shandalar or Muraganda?

I think Maro said a new world is up next though, but I forget what was hinted at.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

I don't think this week was particularly well written, but in Nahiri's place I think it would not be unreasonable to believe that Sorin and Ugin took advantage of her and used her. That's pretty much what happened. She's pissed off at that. Her world was chosen instead of Innistrad or Tarkir because she was the junior partner in this cooperative.

Zendikar was chosen because the plane's natural mana was easy to set up as a huge beacon to lure the eldrazi.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
Denver folks where do you guys play Standard? I just bought back in because Innistrad is great. Is DCG the best place?

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

Rimusutera posted:

New Phyrexia is leagues above anything they'd done since Old Phyrexia, besides maybe Ravinca.

I think Maro said a new world is up next though, but I forget what was hinted at.

I remember hearing rumors of a Norse plane, can't remember where they were from though.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

Sickening posted:

it's so great to warping wail it when i'm smashing in faces with MonoR Eldrazi

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All

NofrikinfuN posted:

Of course, I only think that because I can't afford the inevitable Mythic win buttons. :negative:

your av sucks and you're wrong about everything. shocking.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

born on a buy you posted:

your av sucks and you're wrong about everything. shocking.

Google "people who live in glass houses".

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

I've picked up this habit of always starting with a wash, then since triple sleeved doesn't allow for riffles, I have to mash. So it ends up looking like Wash, mash, mash, pile, box.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

NofrikinfuN posted:

Google "people who live in glass houses".

New phyrexia is more interesting, the rise of the eldrazi was interesting, you are right that eldrazi becoming an innistrad enemy is dumb as hell

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Kilo147 posted:

I've picked up this habit of always starting with a wash, then since triple sleeved doesn't allow for riffles, I have to mash. So it ends up looking like Wash, mash, mash, pile, box.

Triple sleeve? Is this really a thing?

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Sickening posted:

Perfect fit>Sleeve>sleeve cover

Yeah I've seen people do it, but I believe sleeve covers aren't tournament legal

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Sigma-X posted:

New phyrexia is more interesting, the rise of the eldrazi was interesting, you are right that eldrazi becoming an innistrad enemy is dumb as hell

I'll give you interesting, but being on the receiving end of things like infect, annihilator, Elesh Norn and Emrakul as a casual budget player kind of soured me on them. I'm the guy that tried to make Battle Cry work without being able to afford Hero of Bladehold. I'm sure they did great things for competitive play, but they were totally not my bag.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Madmarker posted:

Perfect fit>Sleeve>sleeve cover

Yeah I've seen people do it, but I believe sleeve covers aren't tournament legal

Bryant Cook does it and I've played against him at opens. It's obnoxious and the deck is impossible to shuttle unless you have giant hands. Luckily I'm no Trump. lol

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

NofrikinfuN posted:

I'll give you interesting, but being on the receiving end of things like infect, annihilator, Elesh Norn and Emrakul as a casual budget player kind of soured me on them. I'm the guy that tried to make Battle Cry work without being able to afford Hero of Bladehold. I'm sure they did great things for competitive play, but they were totally not my bag.

Playing with good cards is not your thing, so if a set has good cards it is bad. Got it.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Sickening posted:

I've got a foiled out Annihilator and mostly foil Boros Angel EDH decks that I protect thoroughly. It's typically perfect fit>regular sleeve>penny sleeve to ensure water and moisture resistance. I've got a bad history of losing cards to spilled drinks. Besides the inability to riffle, shuffling is pretty goddamn easy.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Kilo147 posted:

I've got a foiled out Annihilator and mostly foil Boros Angel EDH decks that I protect thoroughly. It's typically perfect fit>regular sleeve>penny sleeve to ensure water and moisture resistance. I've got a bad history of losing cards to spilled drinks.

A triple sleeved edh deck... this sounds beyond dumb. Is a deck like that even shufflable?

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
Triple sleeving is ridiculous. I just put my entire EDH deck in one of this big clear hard plastic shells they display Lotuses in per card and call it good

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
I know a guy with a triple sleeved modern blue taking turns deck. Perfect fit, some anime lady sleeve and sleeve cover over that. I think he does it to protect his anime lady sleeves more than the deck itself.

It's some 80s robot/gun lady or something.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

lol if you don't keep each card of an EDH deck in its own safety deposit box.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Sickening posted:

A triple sleeved edh deck... this sounds beyond dumb. Is a deck like that even shufflable?

Easily. Haven't had any problems with it yet. The penny sleeves are slick enough it's effortless.

Network42
Oct 23, 2002
Keep all your cards in a big vault, and play with tablets livestreaming webcams of the cards.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
Archangel Avacyn is a $40 dollar card, lmao

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Still excellent words/$ value.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
That's cool, if you have any cards with Delirium in your deck on MTGO they added a counter for card types
http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/magic-digital/casting-shadows-2016-04-13

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Regardless of how dumb Emrakul herself being on Innistrad may or may not be (I don't find it objectionable, but that's beside the main point), I'll be glad if they're making steps in the direction of consecutive blocks being clearly, distinctly connected by their villain and by themes in the metaplot, rather than having every current bad guy (except Nicol Bolas, and only if you count the times when his influence is indirect, since he's still only shown up as a character once) be completely parochial in nature.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Avancyn is sold out at 40 everywhere. It's going to be 50+ before the weekend is up.

Magic is funny.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Sickening posted:

Magic is funny loving stupid.

There I made it more correct.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Glad I managed to pre-order for $25.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
If I saw someone with a triple sleeved deck I would give them a wedgie immediately

Edit: haha I've packed two Avacyn so far, guess that's all of those I'll ever be playing

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All

NofrikinfuN posted:

the quality of sets isn't determined by your poverty

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

She shows up like "hey what's up man where were you?" and he's like "man some poo poo went down on my home plane" and then she's trying to kill him the next paragraph.

• Locked thread