Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Oxyclean posted:

I disagree. It was pretty dumb and did the "you can't change time" in my least favourite way. It's one thing for predetermination to gently caress over time powers, but having a literal force of nature go "no gently caress you" feels dumb. Doesn't the protagonist literally wonder if their powers are causing the storm in the first or second episode? Having no narrative swerve on that just kinda bugged me, partly because the whole "you cant change time/ there are consequences for changing time" is so cliche, and almost acknowledging made me expect them to go a different way. Why did the protagonist get time powers at all if they weren't supposed to use them?

It's that thematic thing I was talking about earlier. I wasn't in love with Life is Strange, but its mechanics made sense since they followed pretty basic "magic realism" rules - the story's all about Max Caulfield and her arrested development and reluctance to face the future (she shares a surname with Catcher in the Rye's protagonist for chrissakes), and her time powers are just an extension of her desire to go back and fix her mistakes after the mistake was made. It's noteworthy that the actual source of the powers is never made clear, but she gains them at the exact point she witnesses the awful consequences of her dragging her feet (she refused to meet her best friend for ages despite returning to her hometown, and thus never even gets a chance to reunite with her before she's shot dead). But just like Holden's need to "save the children in the rye" just illustrates his own immaturity, Max's power is useless because it's nothing but an extension of her own neurosis. Every "fixed" mistake compounds until her entire hometown is threatened, and the world at large points its finger at her and presents an ultimatum - pick a future and live with it, and all the consequences that follow. The same predicament gets paralleled with Chloe, who's also stuck in the past, and the fact that she makes peace with sacrificing herself after constantly belittling and hurting others with her refusal to move on from her dad's death means that, whatever happens, she was able to conclude satisfactorily as well.

I'm okay with stories if they're able to follow through on their ideas and what they're about. Homestuck couldn't do that, because Homestuck, in the end, wasn't about anything.

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Apr 13, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Gonna agree that LiS also had a garbage last episode. The arthouse explanation is unsatisfying if you were drawn in by mundane elements like character and a grounded mystery, in basically the same way that Homestuck got us invested in the relationships and development of its protagonists then threw that away for the sake of an answer-nothing open ending.

I'd also like to add that while there's a lot of good discussion to be had about why this ending does and does not work, or what's going on, or what happened next in the story, the high level of backlash does suggest that the ending's not working well as a piece of media. Popularity is not the only metric of artistic merit, but considering how much enthusiasm Homestuck managed to raise over the years this reaction has at least failed to satisfy that audience.

It will probably hurt the reception of the game, especially since many feeling burned by the ending are among those who bought the game at the height of their excitement, and Hussie's next work will be dogged by skeptics and fans-turned-critics who don't want to risk being invested in something he writes if it will similarly fall apart. Your mileage may vary but it hasn't had the overall impact they might've hoped for.

Also I guess Sprites do survive past the end of the game since ARquiusprite was there to help fight Caliborn. So while they didn't appear (like Terezi, I think?) the various sprites could've survived to the new world too. Or not, who knows? It appears Hussie may not have bothered to decide on that rather than that being an intentional mystery.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
It feels like Hussie made the ending to the story he thought he was writing in 2009, rather than the one he has written in 2016. I think the "creation myth" aspect of the story was way more important in his head than to most readers. So we get gorgeous animation of the genesis frog, when we really just want to know what happens to the characters.

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.
Oh hey, so that was a thing that happened.

In the space of Homestuck, I finished university, lived in Japan, returned to Australia and then lived in Japan again. It seems like an eternity ago that I got into it. Hell, it seems an eternity ago that I was doing lovely podcasts with the art and music team prior to Cascade.Through it all though, even in this somewhat under-whelming end, one thing has remained true in the end:

The best time is Vriskatime.™

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Classtoise posted:

My biggest regret is I made ham at 11:45pm on a tuesday night for absolutely nothing :colbert:

there is no such thing as a time for ham that is

bad

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I guess I liked how some of the animation in this reminded me of the tripper sequences in Madoka Magica, my favorite anime

Black August posted:

I just find it amazing that he made such a visually stunning ending that was worse than if he had just looped time back to the first page. Even that would have been more accepted.

Hell, right now I'll come up with a better crappy open ending with that exact idea. Time loops back to the first page. But it's the 4/10 flash beta page from 7 years ago. We come total full loop back to the very first red herring as Hussie explains that the 4/10 beta timeline is the actual, true timeline that all of paradox space just got reset to, and now we all get to imagine how thing go differently and make up our own Homestucks. The end, no moral.

Reminds me of an anime that did this multiple times

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i don't know if this was timed to coincide with the end of homestuck or not but here is an album by one of the former musicians of unused work, updated and polished to a level they feel comfortable with these days

so far it seems pretty good

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE

Tollymain posted:

there is no such thing as a time for ham that is

bad

I dunno. It seemed rather

ill-fitting

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

GeneX posted:

E: Can we all agree that Cascade was the real end of this story?

Delurking this thread to say yes to this, from however many pages back, don't even care.

eta:

:perfect:

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

tumblr post that's pretty on-the-nose:

this blog posted:

anyway its p hilarious that the end of homestuck actually did just end up being exactly the same as the lazy “idk i guess the kids & the trolls all end up back on earth in the new universe somehow” premise everyone slapped onto their college au fanfictions in 2012

Oxxidation posted:

I'm okay with stories if they're able to follow through on their ideas and what they're about. Homestuck couldn't do that, because Homestuck, in the end, wasn't about anything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_V2sBURgUBI

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Dolash posted:

Gonna agree that LiS also had a garbage last episode. The arthouse explanation is unsatisfying if you were drawn in by mundane elements like character and a grounded mystery, in basically the same way that Homestuck got us invested in the relationships and development of its protagonists then threw that away for the sake of an answer-nothing open ending.

I'd also like to add that while there's a lot of good discussion to be had about why this ending does and does not work, or what's going on, or what happened next in the story, the high level of backlash does suggest that the ending's not working well as a piece of media. Popularity is not the only metric of artistic merit, but considering how much enthusiasm Homestuck managed to raise over the years this reaction has at least failed to satisfy that audience.

It will probably hurt the reception of the game, especially since many feeling burned by the ending are among those who bought the game at the height of their excitement, and Hussie's next work will be dogged by skeptics and fans-turned-critics who don't want to risk being invested in something he writes if it will similarly fall apart. Your mileage may vary but it hasn't had the overall impact they might've hoped for.

Also I guess Sprites do survive past the end of the game since ARquiusprite was there to help fight Caliborn. So while they didn't appear (like Terezi, I think?) the various sprites could've survived to the new world too. Or not, who knows? It appears Hussie may not have bothered to decide on that rather than that being an intentional mystery.

The real question is this: is the ending bad enough that people will stop spending money on merchandise?

I'm not actually being sarcastic. I know I didn't like the ending, but the business person in me also knows that I'm just one person without much disposable income. Did the kind of people who buy stuff from We Love Fine like the ending? Because they just put out like 50 t-shirts based on that ending.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Saradiart posted:

I thought it was 0k.

But then again, I thought Dark Tower ended in the only way that made sense :shrug:

The Dark Tower's ending hurt Stephen King as much as it hurt us, if not more, and that what makes it work.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Roger Explosion posted:

The best time is Vriskatime.™

the sequence with her swaggering towards LE at the head of the army was p fukken dope, not going to lie

since Homestuck is now at long last an Anime, and given that its, like Anime 101 that the mortal danger of a situation is inversely proportional to the amount of dust the character is obscured by, i think she walked away from whatever the gently caress happened there

KoB
May 1, 2009

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

The real question is this: is the ending bad enough that people will stop spending money on merchandise?

I'm not actually being sarcastic. I know I didn't like the ending, but the business person in me also knows that I'm just one person without much disposable income. Did the kind of people who buy stuff from We Love Fine like the ending? Because they just put out like 50 t-shirts based on that ending.

I skimmed twitter and it seems like people are fine? This thread is overreacting.

Ending wasnt good but I wouldnt call it bad either.

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

In spite of how he's dressed, he ain't nobody's fool.

GeneX posted:

It's a shame that Lord English is actually the combination of a clown, a pair of glasses, a circus strongman, and a rude alien child.

Hey wait hang on, when did ARquius get thrown into Lord English's mix?

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Yeah, I think the worst you can say about it is that, while a functional ending of itself, it doesn't live up to the absurdly high standard Homestuck has routinely set for itself in terms of intricacy, affect and character work in the past. The scaling up in style and flourish is incredible and works very well, but the characters suffer.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

SHISHKABOB posted:

Is homestuck over yet.

Fantasy Tripe
Nov 4, 2009

Zoolooman posted:

By the by, not only did John and the 7 other god tiers get retconned in from somewhere in paradox space without on-screen explanation to fight Caliborn, Cal's use of the juju against them created...

LIKE A HOLE. A GAP, IN THE TEETH OF MY STORY. THAT NOW EXISTS, AS A DANGEROUS LIABILITY TO ME PERSONALLY. IT CAN ONLY EVER BE USED AS A WEAPON AGAINST ME, FROM NOW ON. SUCH IS WHAT YOLOBROTH, THE GREAT LEWD SNAKE, WILL TELL ME ABOUT THE JUJU WHEN WE MEET. SO AFTER USING IT, IT MADE ME NERVOUS.

...a literal plot hole in Caliborn's personal story. I'm not kidding when I feel very confident that the total lack of explanation around this is intentional. They're retconned in. The weapon Cal used becomes a plot hole. And that plot hole defeats LE off screen.

Where the 8 that fought Caliborn came from is no more explained than where god tier Calliope came from. Somewhere in paradox space they sourced, and to there they go.

I really like the plot hole weapon idea because it fits in with my theory of how things went down. I don't think the kids ever actually confront Caliborn or LE, I think John's retcon powers save them from the causality and visions and prophecy junk that was tying them all into having to show up for Caliborn's Masterpiece just for the sake of his personal timeline making sense.

The aspect of Act7 that's been confusing me the most is the importance placed on Caliborn destroying his clock. It's the method used to gain his immortality sure, but why does that deserve to be show while the fight with LE doesn't? If I understand everything correctly, despite time and space being wonky in Paradox Space Caliborn's personal timeline is the furthest advanced in the alpha timeline, Lord English's current status is still in the relative past due to time travel. I think Caliborn breaking the clock is where the alpha timeline is both created and destroyed, and John taking the kids to the new universe rather than to fight Caliborn is how they beat him. With them not showing up, his timeline that is now fated to happen is impossible and thus it all collapses, combined AltCalliope destroying the Green Sun, Paradox Space and all the timeloops and reacharounds all shatter, with the kids escaping to the new universe just in time.

This sounded a lot more coherent before typing it out, but I love the idea of the final fights not just being off screen, but being straight up nullified, the screen whiting out because Caliborn was in control of the story and that is where his story ends. We don't need to see the kids being free because being inaccessible by the narration is WHY they're free now.

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

The "John retcons the kids back to fight caliborn" plot really confuses me. How is John supposed to even know to do this? Does he even know that caliborn is Lord English?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Fantasy Tripe posted:

I really like the plot hole weapon idea because it fits in with my theory of how things went down. I don't think the kids ever actually confront Caliborn or LE, I think John's retcon powers save them from the causality and visions and prophecy junk that was tying them all into having to show up for Caliborn's Masterpiece just for the sake of his personal timeline making sense.

The aspect of Act7 that's been confusing me the most is the importance placed on Caliborn destroying his clock. It's the method used to gain his immortality sure, but why does that deserve to be show while the fight with LE doesn't? If I understand everything correctly, despite time and space being wonky in Paradox Space Caliborn's personal timeline is the furthest advanced in the alpha timeline, Lord English's current status is still in the relative past due to time travel. I think Caliborn breaking the clock is where the alpha timeline is both created and destroyed, and John taking the kids to the new universe rather than to fight Caliborn is how they beat him. With them not showing up, his timeline that is now fated to happen is impossible and thus it all collapses, combined AltCalliope destroying the Green Sun, Paradox Space and all the timeloops and reacharounds all shatter, with the kids escaping to the new universe just in time.

This sounded a lot more coherent before typing it out, but I love the idea of the final fights not just being off screen, but being straight up nullified, the screen whiting out because Caliborn was in control of the story and that is where his story ends. We don't need to see the kids being free because being inaccessible by the narration is WHY they're free now.

OH! I love this!

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

MonsieurChoc posted:

The Dark Tower's ending hurt Stephen King as much as it hurt us, if not more, and that what makes it work.

I will forever love any story that has a loving disclaimer from the author before it's ending. Just a nice little "You could totally bug out here you know. You don't have to keep going to see how it all shakes out. Things are as happy as they are going to get, and it's only going to get worse if you go forward". And then the ending.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Do they call it soccer or football on the new planet

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
ballsock

dirk is responsible

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.
So, as I understand it, the fact that everyone got a GOOD END was because Vriska released the thing from the thing. Vriska won the game for everyone. It's been a while since I've said this, but it's good to say it again, especially at the end of Homestuck.

VRISKA DID IT.

Roger Explosion fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Apr 13, 2016

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
The more I think about it, the more I realize that it was impossible for Homestuck to have a satisfying conclusion at this point. Too many characters have been introduced to give them all a real resolution, too many plot threads and subplots to give each one a denouement, and too much background mythology to wrap up.

Hussie wrote himself into a place where his only options were to create another whole act trying to tie up every loose end without boring the reader, or to do the narrative equivalent of "K THNX BYE".

People in this thread have been saying for possibly years now that the immeasurable unfulfilled story fragments would make the comic impossible to end, and they were right.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Ammat The Ankh posted:

The more I think about it, the more I realize that it was impossible for Homestuck to have a satisfying conclusion at this point. Too many characters have been introduced to give them all a real resolution, too many plot threads and subplots to give each one a denouement, and too much background mythology to wrap up.

Hussie wrote himself into a place where his only options were to create another whole act trying to tie up every loose end without boring the reader, or to do the narrative equivalent of "K THNX BYE".

People in this thread have been saying for possibly years now that the immeasurable unfulfilled story fragments would make the comic impossible to end, and they were right.

At this point not even the waifu chart could help.

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Blackheart posted:

The waifu chart is just a poster of Vriska

because she is fat and takes up the whole thing

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Ammat The Ankh posted:

You've only just come to this conclusion? Homestuck was like those little make believe games that small children play where they make up increasingly ridiculous poo poo and forget all about their story from ten minutes ago.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
To properly end Homestuck, you need an ending that matches.

You need an ending that's at least as long as Act 4, maybe the first half of act 5

you need closure and

This did not have that. This raised a lot of questions and answered drat near none of them. You could make an ENTIRE SEQUEL just addressing this ending by itself. That's not an ending.

That's why this ending doesn'tw ork, it's not even open ended. It's just incomplete.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(

KoB posted:

I skimmed twitter and it seems like people are fine? This thread is overreacting.

Ending wasnt good but I wouldnt call it bad either.

Tumblr, as one might expect, is pretty across-the-board. One of the people I live with is a huge fan of the ending. Personally, I'm optimistically tepid, and given my rep ITT that might be shocking.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Not every one of those plot and character threads needed to be tied up in act 7, many could have been done in the run up to Collide, or the six days post-Collide, but they were squandered on disappointing feelgood static images.

thanks alot assbag
Feb 18, 2005

BLUUUUHHHHHH

Fantasy Tripe posted:

Yeah, I think you're right about all this. The clock destroying confused me too, but that makes sense.

I also think of the green sun itself being all of the creative energy that Homestuck draws from. Didn't someone once describe it as a "well of potential"? Calliope basically shuts off the supply, so Homestuck ends. The kids get to the door just in time to get into a new universe that isn't red/green but white, so it's untainted by either Caliborn or Calliope.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Blackheart posted:

the waifu chart will save us. it's the last bastion of hope.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

thanks alot assbag posted:

Yeah, I think you're right about all this. The clock destroying confused me too, but that makes sense.

I also think of the green sun itself being all of the creative energy that Homestuck draws from. Didn't someone once describe it as a "well of potential"? Calliope basically shuts off the supply, so Homestuck ends. The kids get to the door just in time to get into a new universe that isn't red/green but white, so it's untainted by either Caliborn or Calliope.

what about the blue universe, who was that tainted by

was it vriska

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I was disappointed, but I've also accepted the fact that pretty much any ending would have been disappointing.

At the same time, I don't think that five minutes of a technicolor sperm swimming up a metaphorical vagina helped its case.

I'm just glad that I stopped being emotionally invested in this clusterfuck years ago.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Freak Futanari posted:

the waifu chart will save us. it's the last bastion of hope.

The Waifu chart's gonna be the true epilogue.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

2001: A Space Odyssey is another weird ending I liked.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Ah, now I know what ending this reminds me of

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rLFi7iEnfU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thanks alot assbag
Feb 18, 2005

BLUUUUHHHHHH

Slime posted:

what about the blue universe, who was that tainted by

was it vriska

actually you're not too far off from another point: The only other color we see the "house" at the end, is at the end of the Troll session, where it's purple. That house ends up getting destroyed. Caliborn's masterpiece sits in the middle of a spiral of the same shade of purple. Purple represents rage/anger/gamzee, or something.