Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
http://www.mspaintadventures.com/ACT7.html

loving finally

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

at last we can die

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

That said, there is a whole thread already for Homestuckin'.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Much like the whole thread for Gunnerkriggin', some of us don't go there any more, because the slow advance of the plot has sent everyone completely round the twist.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Renaissance Robot posted:

Much like the whole thread for Gunnerkriggin', some of us don't go there any more, because the slow advance of the plot has sent everyone completely round the twist.

I thought it was the lesbians that did that.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

That was a pretty cool animation, I want to go and read this "Homestuck" comic now.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
The next step for Hussie is to release the entirety of homestuck in a 4 TB download so those of us who stopped reading after the first year or so can fill up an external hard drive and go live like a hermit for a few months while we read through it in its entirety.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

SynthOrange posted:

at last we can die

think again

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
so how many webcomics exist today because of homestuck, in one way or another? i'm reasonably sure i can think of a few

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I have made two attempts to read Homestuck, but both times I got bored out of my mind before they left the house. (I presume they do leave the house). Is it worth making a third attempt, and if so is there anything I should do to make this succeed?

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Wait for someone to make Homestuck Kai.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

The Lone Badger posted:

I have made two attempts to read Homestuck, but both times I got bored out of my mind before they left the house. (I presume they do leave the house). Is it worth making a third attempt, and if so is there anything I should do to make this succeed?

Have a whole bunch of other people reading it at the same time, so that you can skim over things and get a cliffs-notes version of the important parts you skimmed over when they come back up again.

Without some sort of feedback loop to sustain you through the trying times, I'd be hard-pressed to recommend someone read the entirety of Homestuck at this point. There are definitely nifty bits inside, but if it's just you, and you've got limited time, and you don't really enjoy it, it's not going to be an essay question on the AP Webcomics Exam.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Reading Homestuck at this point has gone from "inadvisable" to just straight-up "don't," there are so many better things worth your time.

Have you checked out Evan Dahm's stuff? He's pretty neat!

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

The Lone Badger posted:

If the humor didn't click for you the first two times, I don't think a third one is going to change your mind. I still think that Homestuck is good, or at least has enough good parts to compensate for the bad ones, but I also understand that it's not something that aligns with everyone's tastes.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
imo reading homestuck is worth if it you don't expect it to be able to deliver an ending on par with the rest of the work. it's enormous, it's flawed, it does things that no webcomic had done before and it has done things that no other webcomic will probably do for a very long time, if ever

it was a minor cultural phenomenon at its height, and honestly for good reason, but it's also kind of a mess. it's also responsible for at least 4 webcomics that i read existing and probably more, also the existence of obscure indie rpg undertale

i can't tell you if you should read it because i don't know you, but i imagine it'll be considered super important by academia after we're dead and gone

i agree with oxxidation on at least the one thing though, evan dahm makes good stuff

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

What Homestuck-inspired webcomics are you talking about, Tolly? You have good taste and would like to check them out.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

oh god dont one of them is probably prequel barf

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Well, the Homestuck-inspired comic I'd recommend, myself, is Kill Six Billion Demons (which has a thread in this very subforum). It is very good.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Roland Jones posted:

Well, the Homestuck-inspired comic I'd recommend, myself, is Kill Six Billion Demons (which has a thread in this very subforum). It is very good.

uh. I suppose they are both stories about the nature of the universe, although they approch that story in a very different way. The funny thing is, even though I understand most of Homestuck I am terribly confused by KSBD.

SynthOrange posted:

oh god dont one of them is probably prequel barf

People have different tastes than you. If you barf every time you have to face this grim reality, you are going to weaken your body until you get sick. I recommend you stop doing that.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

paradoxGentleman posted:

uh. I suppose they are both stories about the nature of the universe, although they approch that story in a very different way. The funny thing is, even though I understand most of Homestuck I am terribly confused by KSBD.

People have different tastes than you. If you barf every time you have to face this grim reality, you are going to weaken your body until you get sick. I recommend you stop doing that.

Before it was a comic, KSBD was a forum adventure on the MSPA forums. They're down right now but I think this is the link:
http://mspaforums.com/showthread.php?55983-Kill-Six-Billion-Demons

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
So for those who haven't been keeping up, did Homestuck just finally end or something?

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Megazver posted:

So for those who haven't been keeping up, did Homestuck just finally end or something?

The words "The End" certainly did appear in a more or less ending manner. But Husse mentioned an epilogue, and it would not be the first time a story he's written has a confused ending that gets sorted out in the epilogue, so I'm holding onto hope for that.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Oxxidation posted:

Reading Homestuck at this point has gone from "inadvisable" to just straight-up "don't," there are so many better things worth your time.

The previous generation's "arduous thing to read in Prison because it takes loving ages but now you have nothing but time" was Tolstoy's War & Peace. For us, it's Homestuck.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

paradoxGentleman posted:

The words "The End" certainly did appear in a more or less ending manner. But Husse mentioned an epilogue, and it would not be the first time a story he's written has a confused ending that gets sorted out in the epilogue, so I'm holding onto hope for that.

Yup, it definitely ended, especially how it completely failed to resolve anything to do with the main (?) antagonist. That definitely looked like an ending to me.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

paradoxGentleman posted:

As stated, KSBD started as an MSPA forum adventure. It's also still (somewhat) reader-influenced, actually.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Homestuck is the greatest, most important comic that I would not recommend to anyone

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
prequel had some interesting ideas involving usage of the web format but i lost interest years ago because of the plot going nowhere fast and general content issues

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Tollymain posted:

general content issues

The best euphemism.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
most of these have little to do content-wise or thematically with homestuck but they would not exist without it having been a thing afaik

a ghost story
phoenix flair
neo-kosmos
apothecia (short finished work)
kill six billion etc
maybe never satisfied?

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.

Tollymain posted:

prequel had some interesting ideas involving usage of the web format but i lost interest years ago because of the plot going nowhere fast and general content issues

That one page where she's dreaming of walking down stairs is AMAZING. Shame about most of the rest of it.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
that was exactly what came to mind

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Yeah usually I avoid this thread because there's too much entertainment made by proven authors existing and being made for me to keep up with new webcomics.

But with the end of homestuck I'm kind of not looking for homestuck inspired comics, but general internet adventures and thinking of doing a compare and contrast. Not a blog post but just a personal thing.

Like Ruby Quest. that came before homestuck, it's extremely simple. (it's also written by somewhat of a weirdo with an audience of perverts). But you know what? It works in a way a lot of ways I haven't seen any other internet adventures manage. Like it has very good puzzles to the point where the audience anticipated a trap meant to permakill a character and then later use it to their advantage, and how the characters are sympathetic and interesting but it sort of follows from the story and commands.

Homestuck's (and most of hussie's other comics) systems were too complex for a crowd of readers to use, and the characters took over. Not a failing but still something I'm thinking about.

Ruby quest had a more character driven sequel, nan quest, and I liked it too, but I doubt I'm going to like the rest of that board.
I don't even have access to it right now, really.

There's also bogleech's awful hospital and some things it inspired, but I'm more looking for things that have finished their story, so I can evaluate how much was the writer and how much was the input and if the writer was seeking input and stuff. There's the gbs adventures by apple white and the pixel guy. I'm not going to read prequel. Whatever, I'm phone posting and expressing what I'm thinking about is hard in the best of times.

I guess I'm considering the question of what worked for these things and what didn't.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I won a small button for beating a Flash game in Prequel. :colbert:

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

Instead of reading Homestuck, just read Kid Radd

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I never read Homestuck but have the hardcover edition of the Sweet Bro and Hella Jeff book, which is without a doubt one of the greatest books of an age.

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

Pick posted:

I never read Homestuck but have the hardcover edition of the Sweet Bro and Hella Jeff book, which is without a doubt one of the greatest books of an age.

same

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender

Plethora posted:

Two more, added because they're connected, posted here because there's nothing ugly in the content.

I have links to the guy he's talking about on the main page. Very interesting person.

None of this is showing up for me? Cleared my cache and everything. Main page only shows comic 27 and no commentary or links.

Did bunny schizo mom find Plethora? :ohdear:

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
Homestuck had the problem of being too far up it's own rear end even for a comic who's primary joke was how far up it's own rear end it was. I got farther than most but I just couldn't get through it. Had a lot of cool forums adventures come out of its forums though, not even including the ones that became standalone webcomics. I love forums adventure style stuff and wish there was more of it.

I do wonder where all the rabid homestuck fans migrated too; I remember there was a lot of them. I'm guessing my little pony and steven universe?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Pavlov posted:

Homestuck had the problem of being too far up it's own rear end even for a comic who's primary joke was how far up it's own rear end it was. I got farther than most but I just couldn't get through it. Had a lot of cool forums adventures come out of its forums though, not even including the ones that became standalone webcomics. I love forums adventure style stuff and wish there was more of it.

I do wonder where all the rabid homestuck fans migrated too; I remember there was a lot of them. I'm guessing my little pony and steven universe?

They dispersed. MLP and SU were probably the main recipients, but they also briefly surged to OFF (a weird but cool French freeware rpg), and Undertale probably owed a lot of its popularity to Homestuck's residual popularity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
well, it made a decent jumping-off point at least, i'm sure you've seen the google activity graph by now

• Locked thread