Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

ocrumsprug posted:

Sadly I don't think there is any amount of money that does anything more than be a bandage on the res system. Perfect housing, medical care and clean water won't take away the isolation, boredom and hopelessness of even non-remote bands, let alone Pukatawagan or actual northern bands.

We should try but the reserve system is attempting to preserve a way of life that literally doesn't exist anymore. It's the bands that need to come to that realization because I am certainly not going to be the one to tell them.

Yeah, this is pretty much how I feel about the whole thing. Even if we poured money into these villages to bring infrastructure and service up to par with the rest of Canada, it's still not going to create a viable economy or a place with a particularly high quality of life.

We need to focus on how we can help First Nations people maintain the important aspects of their culture while living in a place that doesn't need to be extremely heavily subsidized in perpetuity. Dollar for dollar, we can do a lot more if we're not dealing with trying to provide modern infrastructure to the middle of nowhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

infernal machines posted:

In OLP news, Kathleen Wynne says it's not the Police's fault they keep shooting black people. It's the system that makes it necessary to kill black folks.

Looks like BLMTO really got their message across.

Oh, I see. It's not the perpetrators of systemic racism, but the concept of systemic racism itself that is at fault here.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Really the police are the victims here, their hands tied to the gun, the trigger pulled by systemic racim itself.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
You have to give Wynne some credit for being able to talk that quickly out of both sides of her mouth without somehow dislocating her jaw.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
I guess we wouldn't have the rangers defending the Arctic if we didn't subsidize communities in the Arctic to exist

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

The only NDP government in Canada is in Alberta.*

What bizzaro world is this?

*I couldn't be arsed to confirm this at time of posting.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Helsing posted:

You have to give Wynne some credit for being able to talk that quickly out of both sides of her mouth without somehow dislocating her jaw.

Is this you John Tory?

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
Sorry autistic kids, there's just no money for you.

quote:

$2-per-vote subsidy for parties will be considered, Wynne says

With sweeping legislative changes being introduced next month, Premier Kathleen Wynne said Tuesday some form of public financing of the parties has to be considered.

“We need to decide as we move to a ban on corporate and union donations, does there need to be a public subsidy? I hope the opposition leaders will give me some sense of what they think about that,” Wynne said on CBC Radio’s Metro Morning.

After Ottawa revamped federal political fundraising rules, there was a per-vote subsidy of about $2 for the 2004, 2006, 2008, and 2011 elections, before former prime minister Stephen Harper phased it out.

If Ontario adopted a similar formula, the Liberals would get $3.72 million, the Progressive Conservatives $3.01 million, the New Democrats $2.29 million, and the Greens $465,000.

http://www.thestar.com/news/queensp...akes-shape.html

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

El Scotch posted:

The only NDP government in Canada is in Alberta.*

What bizzaro world is this?

*I couldn't be arsed to confirm this at time of posting.

It'll be true next week.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Helsing posted:

All of which is a rather long and roundabout way of saying the left just doesn't have the strength to push the environmental issue right now. Yeah, that's awful, and I don't feel great saying it, but it seems to be true. I'm not saying abandon the struggle altogether, but if given a choice between taking the morally pure but politically impotent position on the environment, or focusing on the economic issues that could maybe help produce some future political movement for reform, I'd pick the latter. I fully admit that's a judgement call, and maybe the wrong one, but it seems to me like there's no point focusing on environmental policy when no political consituency or movement exists to actually push for or defend that policy.

Oh, there'll be plenty of room for the environmental issue once "our jerbs!" becomes less important than "our houses not getting carried off by flash floods!".

Unfortunately, it'll be too late by then. :suicide:

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

quote:

http://www.torontosun.com/2016/04/12/tory-mpps-website-shows-ghost-testimonials

The website of a local Progressive Conservative MPP is filled with testimonials from “constituents” who appear to not live in his riding, or even in Canada.

The pages for Jack MacLaren, who represents Carleton-Mississippi Mills at Queen’s Park, contains a section devoted to thank-yous from those who live in his riding, from Kanata to Constance Bay to Richmond to Almonte.

But they feature people who appear to be from elsewhere:

- “Scott” from Almonte thanks MacLaren for helping get him his health card. Scott was also mentioned in one of MacLaren’s constituency newsletters last year as examples of the casework in his office one week.

But Scott’s photo, which has a background that appears more European than Almonte, was first posted to the Internet in 2007, by photographer Hendrik van Leeuwen in The Hague, the Netherlands. It can be found on photo-sharing website Flickr.

- “Suren” from Kanata also thanks MacLaren for “the commitment and dedication on your part with the communities.” A web search found the photographer, who says the picture was taken in 2013 in San Francisco. It’s been used elsewhere on web pages selling beauty products to women of colour.

- “Darren” from Mississippi Mills, who offers his “thanks for everything you did to help me resolve my problem with the Ministry of Transportation.” He appears to be the same person as Sam Muirhead, a New Zealand-born software developer who lives in Berlin. When asked by Postmedia if Darren is another person, Muirhead replied, “No, unless I have a secret evil Canadian twin, Darren does not exist.”

- “Kaydee” from Richmond is quoted as telling MacLaren: “You’re amazing! I hope you’re having a great summer — you sure are busy!”

The photo next to Kaydee’s testimonial is of Mabel Pantaleon, a New York actor who appeared on Dexter a few years ago. Coincidentally, there’s a real person named Kaydee Richmond, who works for Tory leader Patrick Brown in Toronto.

- And finally there’s “Robert & Karen” from Constance Bay, who say “many thanks for all the help!” The photographer who shot their photo in 2009 said it was of a couple in Manchester, England.

And also coincidentally, another Robert and Karen — McCrimmon — live in Constance Bay. MacLaren found himself at the centre of controversy several weeks ago after pulling Karen McCrimmon, a Liberal MP, onto stage at a fundraiser. He then told dirty jokes with her and her husband as subjects.

Nobody responded from MacLaren’s offices when contacted Monday and Tuesday. But after this Postmedia story first appeared online, his website added this note: “Disclaimer: In order to maintain the privacy of constituents, stock photos and generic names have been used.”

dreevely@postmedia.com

The website is currently unavailable. http://jackmaclarenmpp.com/

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
You see: politicians need to have more money than you. That's a fact. If we gave politicians less money, then you wouldn't have the extremely qualified and capable administrators that we have today. All the politicians would leave the country and go win elections elsewhere. The only possible way to have the kind of moral, upstanding, extremely qualified individuals that are currently in elected posts is to give them lots of money.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

Jan posted:

Oh, there'll be plenty of room for the environmental issue once "our jerbs!" becomes less important than "our houses not getting carried off by flash floods!".

Unfortunately, it'll be too late by then. :suicide:

I love how the prairies keep getting massive floods well beyond the norm and whenever you mention that sacrificing wetlands in favor of more development is a major contributor the same people who've suffered through these floods say we need to shut our filthy hippy mouthes.

EvilJoven fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Apr 13, 2016

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Oh boy

Idle No More, Black Lives Matter protesters occupy Toronto Indigenous and Northern Affairs office

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

What good will this do? Everyone seems to be responding as quickly and visibly as possible to the situation in Attawatpiskat as it is. I'd argue this is more about getting attention for BLM/INM than it is about the Attawapiskat situation.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

https://twitter.com/CBCTheHouse/status/720294810393964544

:whitewater:

Her explaining why she doesn't want to be leader just made me want her to run even more :(

Guy Caron is reportedly interested. He'd be someone I consider.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

PT6A posted:

What good will this do? Everyone seems to be responding as quickly and visibly as possible to the situation in Attawatpiskat as it is. I'd argue this is more about getting attention for BLM/INM than it is about the Attawapiskat situation.

Politicians are really good at "seeming to respond as quickly and visibly as possible" to a situation which somehow never really improves or gets solved.

Any smart activist would take the momentary media attention and increased public interest to try and leverage their position and maybe try to get some concrete commitments on the record that the government can be held to later. Not to mention that I'm sure these activists think, with some justification, that "getting attention" for their organization is pretty important otherwise I don't think they'd be actively participating in those organizations. I have a lot more respect for someone who is trying to develop an actual organizational framework for achieving their political goals than I do for someone whose main goal is just to get themselves featured in the media.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

They're pushing for a federal response to the issue on top of what is being done by the provincial government. I'm not sure what that would look like, but then again, I'm not sure there's really a legislative solution to a problem that can be summarized as "Most of the country is a frozen shithole with no economic or social prospects, try not to live there".

Helsing posted:

Politicians are really good at "seeming to respond as quickly and visibly as possible" to a situation which somehow never really improves or gets solved.

See Wynne's response to BLMTO and the toothless carding reforms.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Apr 13, 2016

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
maybe now is the time for jenny kwan to shine. I hear she does good work

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

ocrumsprug posted:

Sadly I don't think there is any amount of money that does anything more than be a bandage on the res system. Perfect housing, medical care and clean water won't take away the isolation, boredom and hopelessness of even non-remote bands, let alone Pukatawagan or actual northern bands.

We should try but the reserve system is attempting to preserve a way of life that literally doesn't exist anymore. It's the bands that need to come to that realization because I am certainly not going to be the one to tell them.

I don't think the reserve system was ever about preserving a way of life. The reserve system's intentions differed from region to region before and after the Royal Proclamation of 1763, but it was never about preserving a way of life.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
The reserve system was an ultimatum levelled at first nations people. Either conform to the culture of the European people or do what you will within the confines of the reserve land we have set aside.

Their was also a third option; war.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Now Joe Oliver wants something done about supply management.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

https://twitter.com/DonMartinCTV/status/720316071631273984

He's such a piece of poo poo oh my god.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

lmao

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

While I don't think Dion is a literal sociopath there is something absolutely skin crawling about the way a politician can become so comfortable with this kind of lying. He's literally an apologist for selling weapons that he cannot have any doubt are going to be used against villages of civilians.

It's sad because Dion was one of the few Liberals I had some amount of sympathy and respect for. But this is the kind of moral stain that goes way beyond mere political disagreement. In a better world it would be a serious crime to sell weapons to a regime like Saudi Arabia.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

Vote Conservative to ruin supply management and import growth hormone laced dairy, got it Joe.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

To quote Tom Mulcair on his day back in question period:

quote:

"The Liberals swore they would be different, but they keep finding novel ways of being the Liberals."

Libs gonna lib.

e:

Alberta toddler's final days before meningitis death

quote:

(...)
First signs of trouble

According to the report, Ezekiel's mother told the doctor the last time he appeared "completely well" was more than two weeks earlier, on Feb. 26, at the family's acreage in Cardston county, south of Lethbridge.

On Feb. 27, Ezekiel "developed a fever and was whining a lot," the report reads.

The parents told the physician they initially thought he was simply teething but then, later that day, they noticed he had developed laboured and "whistly/wheezy" breathing.

The couple phoned a family friend whom they described to the physician as a registered nurse and Ezekiel's birth attendant. Listening to the child's breathing over the phone, the friend suggested it sounded like he had croup.

"Collet subsequently looked croup up on the internet and saw that it was a viral infection and that the only medical treatment typically offered was a dose of steroids if it was severe," the physician's report reads.

"As per the internet suggestions, they treated Ezekiel's breathing difficulty with cool air and a humidifier. They also started Ezekiel on some herbal/naturopathic remedies which they believe help fight off viral infections and have given Ezekiel in the past when he has a cold.

(...)

Body stiffness worsens

By March 12, the stiffness was so severe that Ezekiel's "back was arched" and his parents called their family friend again, who came over to examine the boy with a stethoscope.

"According to Collet, their friend concluded that Ezekiel's symptoms could be from meningitis," the physician's report reads.

"Collet then looked up meningitis on the internet; specifically she mentioned looking at the WebMD website. She came across the Kernig and Brudzinski's test for meningismus and tried them on Ezekiel. She reports the tests were obviously positive, further indicating to her that Ezekiel was suffering from meningitis."

Ezekiel's parents then resumed the treatment with olive leaf extract, garlic and methylsulfonylmethane and used the eye-dropper method to ensure he received enough fluids, as "he would not drink on his own," the report reads. They also started giving him Total Reload, an electrolyte and amino-acid supplement.

Within two hours, "they felt he'd had some improvement and was less lethargic."

"They called their naturopath in Lethbridge to ask for recommendations for treating viral meningitis and were advised to start him on something called BLAST," the report states.
(...)

:negative:

Is it true that the Internet makes you stupid, or do stupid people blindly trust everything on the Internet?

Jan fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Apr 13, 2016

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

jm20 posted:

Vote Conservative to ruin supply management and import growth hormone laced dairy, got it Joe.
Canadians can choose to purchase premium milk at a higher price that they cannot afford. They will vote with their wallets (assumption that they have money)!

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

jm20 posted:

Supply management and quality standards for milk are actually two separate issues. Hell, supply management and trade are two separate issues. You can abolish supply management and still have autarky.

brucio
Nov 22, 2004

Jan posted:

To quote Tom Mulcair on his day back in question period:

Libs gonna lib.

This would have more bite if Mulcair didn't support the sale during the election campaign.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/ezekiel-stephan-meningitis-trial-death-physician-report-1.3533174

quote:

Alberta toddler's final days before meningitis death detailed in physician's report at parents' trial
Court exhibit released to CBC News paints a picture of child's final days

In his final days of suffering from bacterial meningitis, 19-month-old Ezekiel Stephan had to be given fluids through an eyedropper and his body was stiff to the point of his back being arched, according to a physician's report newly released by an Alberta court to CBC News.

The toddler was declared brain dead in March 2012 after an emergency trip to hospital to see a physician for the first time in his life, according to the document, which is included as an exhibit as the trial of his parents continues in Lethbridge.

David and Collet Stephan stand accused of failing to provide the necessaries of life to their son.

The document represents an account of the events leading up to Ezekiel's death by Dr. Jenn D'Mello, who prepared the report following an assessment of Ezekiel at the pediatric intensive-care unit of the Alberta Children's Hospital in Calgary on March 15, 2012.

The information in the document comes from Ezekiel's medical chart and an interview with his mother at the time.

First signs of trouble

According to the report, Ezekiel's mother told the doctor the last time he appeared "completely well" was more than two weeks earlier, on Feb. 26, at the family's acreage in Cardston county, south of Lethbridge.

On Feb. 27, Ezekiel "developed a fever and was whining a lot," the report reads.

The parents told the physician they initially thought he was simply teething but then, later that day, they noticed he had developed laboured and "whistly/wheezy" breathing.

The couple phoned a family friend whom they described to the physician as a registered nurse and Ezekiel's birth attendant. Listening to the child's breathing over the phone, the friend suggested it sounded like he had croup.

"Collet subsequently looked croup up on the internet and saw that it was a viral infection and that the only medical treatment typically offered was a dose of steroids if it was severe," the physician's report reads.

"As per the internet suggestions, they treated Ezekiel's breathing difficulty with cool air and a humidifier. They also started Ezekiel on some herbal/naturopathic remedies which they believe help fight off viral infections and have given Ezekiel in the past when he has a cold."

Home remedies

Those remedies included olive leaf extract, garlic and methylsulfonylmethane, in addition to the "daily herbal/naturopathic supplements" that the parents had been giving Ezekiel, according to the physician's report.

That daily regime included Omega 3-6-9, whey protein, FermPlus, an unnamed digestive enzyme, and Empowerplus — a controversial supplement sold by a company founded by Ezekiel's grandfather, Anthony Stephan.

The company, Truehope Nutritional Support, had been locked in a years-long battle with Health Canada over the supplement, which the federal department warned in 2003 did not have enough scientific backing to be considered safe and was being sold without a drug identification number.

Truehope, based in Raymond, Alta., eventually won in a legal decision that allowed for Empowerplus to continue being sold in Canada.

David Stephan told the court he is vice president of the company.

The physician's report stated Collet took Empowerplus daily during her pregnancy and Ezekiel's parents started giving him daily doses of Empowerplus mixed into a smoothie "since approximately age 10 or 11 months of age."

Symptoms continue

Meanwhile, the child's symptoms, which his parents believed to be croup, continued for another week, although the physician noted "he never really had a cough."

The boy had minimal appetite and little interest in drinking so Collet and David "used an eye dropper to make sure he was getting enough fluids," the report states.

Aside from his first day of illness, Ezekiel's fever never returned, and his temperature never measured above 37.8 degrees, according to the report.

He continued to be lethargic and have occasional bouts of difficult breathing, particularly at night, "but the parents felt he was gradually improving and responding to the cool air, humidifier, and extra herbal remedies."

By March 5 Ezekiel appeared "much improved" and "well enough to go to a pre-school type program he attends," so Collet stopped the olive leaf extract, garlic and methylsulfonylmethane treatment, "as he seemed to have recovered from his 'croup.'"

Unusual 'neurological symptom'

On March 6, however, Ezekiel was "unusually lethargic — more so than he had been during any of the days in the week prior."

"He laid in bed the entire day and his only response would be to moan unhappily when Collet left the room," the physician's report reads.

He again would not eat or drink and was restarted on his extra herbal remedies.

"Collet also described noticing an unusual 'neurological symptom' that day where Ezekiel had repetitive movements of his right arm where he would pull at his diaper or rub his cheek and these movements seemed unusual and involuntary to Collet."

He seemed "a bit better" the following day and the abnormal movements ceased, but his lethargy continued.

From March 8-10, Ezekiel seemed to "gradually improve" but on March 11, the symptoms worsened again and his parents "noticed his body to be very stiff."

Body stiffness worsens

By March 12, the stiffness was so severe that Ezekiel's "back was arched" and his parents called their family friend again, who came over to examine the boy with a stethoscope.

"According to Collet, their friend concluded that Ezekiel's symptoms could be from meningitis,"
the physician's report reads.

"Collet then looked up meningitis on the internet; specifically she mentioned looking at the WebMD website. She came across the Kernig and Brudzinski's test for meningismus and tried them on Ezekiel. She reports the tests were obviously positive, further indicating to her that Ezekiel was suffering from meningitis."

Ezekiel's parents then resumed the treatment with olive leaf extract, garlic and methylsulfonylmethane and used the eye-dropper method to ensure he received enough fluids, as "he would not drink on his own," the report reads. They also started giving him Total Reload, an electrolyte and amino-acid supplement.

Within two hours, "they felt he'd had some improvement and was less lethargic."

"They called their naturopath in Lethbridge to ask for recommendations for treating viral meningitis and were advised to start him on something called BLAST," the report states.

Trip to Lethbridge for 'BLAST'

The next day, March 13, the family drove to Lethbridge to run some errands which included picking up the BLAST from their naturopath.

"Ezekiel seemed a bit more alert that morning but he was too stiff to be successfully placed in his car seat so his crib mattress was put in the back of the car and he laid on that for the drive," the report reads.

"They picked up the BLAST and started Ezekiel on that and then drove back home."

After a nap at home and more fluids, Ezekiel seemed more alert but still lethargic.

Abnormal breathing and 911 call

After another nap, Ezekiel woke up about 8:30 p.m., when Collet noticed he had "abnormal breathing where he seemed to be gasping and struggling" to draw breath, followed by pauses in his breathing that lasted for a few seconds.

"Collet patted him on the back when his breathing paused and then he resumed breathing but paused again shortly after," the physician's report states.

"At that point the parents called 911 and Collet gave Ezekiel some rescue breaths. He coughed up a bit of mucous and again his breathing resumed. In discussion with 911 they decided to drive him to the hospital at that point rather than await an ambulance as his breathing had resumed.

"They again placed him on the mattress in the back of the car and Collet stayed with him while David drove. Within minutes of departing, Ezekiel stopped breathing again. Collet again gave rescue breaths but this time Ezekiel did not resume breathing."

Collett then gave him about five chest compressions, according to the physician's report, and his breathing resumed briefly but the frequent pauses continued.

The couple called 911 again and stayed on speaker phone with the operator until an ambulance met their vehicle.

"While on the phone with 911, the parents gave full CPR for about 10 minutes until EMS arrived," the report states.

"Ezekiel had no spontaneous return of breathing and Collet reports he was blue by the time EMS arrived."

Emergency transport and brain death

The ambulance took Ezekiel to the emergency room at the hospital in Cardston where he was intubated and received about 30 minutes of CPR, multiple doses of epinephrine and atropine, and regained circulation.

He was then transported to the ER in the Lethbridge along with the Cardston physician, where they were met by a pediatric intensive-care transport team, who took Ezekiel to Calgary via helicopter.

After arriving at the Alberta Children's Hospital, Ezekiel required "significant cardiopulmonary support," according to the physician's report, and "broad spectrum antibiotics."

The working diagnosis was bacterial meningitis, although that was not confirmed by a lumbar-puncture test, as Ezekiel was "too unstable to undergo this procedure."

He did not regain consciousness in hospital and, following a CT scan and a neurological assessment on the morning of March 15, 2012 the physician reported that Ezekiel was "completely unresponsive" and had "met criteria for brain death."

The trial began March 7. The prosecution rested its case just over two weeks ago. David Stephan started testifying on Monday and the Crown was continuing to cross-examine him Wednesday in Lethbridge.

Well I guess the real tragedy here is no one made the parents comfortable with scientific medicine

maybe if someone gave them the confidence to believe in doctors this would never have happened.

I highlighted all the sections which describe the child's suffering just fyi

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Helsing posted:

While I don't think Dion is a literal sociopath there is something absolutely skin crawling about the way a politician can become so comfortable with this kind of lying. He's literally an apologist for selling weapons that he cannot have any doubt are going to be used against villages of civilians.

It's sad because Dion was one of the few Liberals I had some amount of sympathy and respect for. But this is the kind of moral stain that goes way beyond mere political disagreement. In a better world it would be a serious crime to sell weapons to a regime like Saudi Arabia.

Hey guys, remember when I said Dion was a piece of poo poo and I had no regrets voting for Harper over him, and everyone attacked me?

I imagine I can expect an apology, admitting I was correct, any moment now, right? :v:

EDIT: And can you honestly say, after reading the article CI just posted, that if those negligent parents were to be shot in the face, it would be a bad thing? I'm not saying anyone should do it, just that I wouldn't lose sleep if it happened.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

PT6A posted:

Hey guys, remember when I said Dion was a piece of poo poo and I had no regrets voting for Harper over him, and everyone attacked me?

I imagine I can expect an apology, admitting I was correct, any moment now, right? :v:

Remember when you said it's because you felt he was effeminate and weak voiced, because you are an idiot?

But yeah, maybe if he had some truck nutz on the back of a V6 Mustang he'd have the balls to stand up and say "Selling arms to oppressive governments is bad".

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Apr 13, 2016

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

infernal machines posted:

Remember when you said it's because you felt he was effeminate and weak voiced, because you are an idiot?

I didn't say he was effeminate, I said he was a wuss -- a coward, if you will. I don't think cowardice is a feminine quality, either, and I would suggest you have serious problems if you do. Turns out, he has displayed in his dealings with Saudi Arabia the exact sort of moral cowardice I always would've expected from him.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

PT6A posted:

if those negligent parents were to be shot in the face, it would be a bad thing? I'm not saying anyone should do it, just that I wouldn't lose sleep if it happened.

Exhibit A: Moral cowardice.

If you want to call for peoples deaths, then do it. Don't pussyfoot around.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

cowofwar posted:

Canadians can choose to purchase premium milk at a higher price that they cannot afford. They will vote with their wallets (assumption that they have money)!

COOL for meat was struck down by the WTO and would be for milk.

Pinterest Mom posted:

Supply management and quality standards for milk are actually two separate issues. Hell, supply management and trade are two separate issues. You can abolish supply management and still have autarky.

Chapter 11 disagrees that you can set the standards of our dairy supply to outright exclude US producers from the get go if we loosen SM.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Wasn't the deal made under Harper's government anyways?

smoke sumthin bitch
Dec 14, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
i spend 1200$ a year on milk and i dont even touch 5 digits of income. abolish the milk tax

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Good loving Christ, how much milk are you drinking?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
GOMAD