Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

You may be shocked to discover that the description of Detlef Sierck in Drachenfels pays an awful close resemblance to Kim Newman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Post 9-11 User posted:

Oh, look, Chaos Knights now ride on Heldrakes Bloodcrushers whatever those knockoffs are.

Remember when it was cool when the tie-in between Fantasy and 40k was subtle? Only Chaos was the same between both games, since Chaos exists in all realities and dimensions.

well 40k sells more than fantasy so the obvious answer was to make fantasy more like 40k faaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrt

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Syrnn posted:

I just learned about Drachenfels sort-of-kind-of return in End Times, only to go on to learn that Drachenfels author Kim Newman perma-waifu'd Genevieve the vampire. Either that or his fangsona is a sixteen year old girl from Brittany. :wtc:

edit: Still a better love story than AoS.

I'm not sure what you're saying here - (I don't get he whole waifu thing) but Genevieve was always 16 years old.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

berzerkmonkey posted:

I'm not sure what you're saying here - (I don't get he whole waifu thing) but Genevieve was always 16 years old.

the guy has a 16 year old vampire character he writes throughout a bunch of books and into marrying someone that looks exactly like him

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

The books were really good for gaming lit, though.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

richyp posted:

That was the first thing my eyes were drawn to, I'm glad you said what I was because I had no idea what it was supposed to be. Also the it's hard to tell whether the Orcs are marching with or against the Chaos guys as they're all angled as if they're approaching the viewer diagonally rather than directly at each other

That head is having such an amazing time. Look at it.

Just huge, grin. Everyone is serious and dour, but this one, it's just enjoying life to its fullest.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

Syrnn posted:

I hope Kim Newman is a goon

quote:

... a woman he once knew

Signs point to no.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Come on even the guy that installed that printer for the girl while she had sex with her boyfriend "knew" a woman.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

Pawl posted:

None of this is accurate. Sigmarines have individual identities and personalities (though they are as one-dimensional as almost everyone else in the setting)

No they don't. AoS is a miniatures game first, and so the miniatures are the primary source when attempting to analyze the "character" of the world. You can't just write some flimsy fluff justification and call it a day; the models must necessarily be a reflection of the characters they represent. The Stormcast models very clearly depict a legion of nearly-identical, emotionless warriors where even their independent characters are faceless, so that's what they must be.

Again, even a Space Marine tactical squad has more individual variety, and they have the added bonuses of 1) coming with unhelmeted heads to provide a bit of individuality, and 2) even when they're wearing helmets, the helmets suggest some emotion (an angry, scowling face). A Stormcast helmet looks like :geno:.

Heck, Space Marine armor itself has a lot of variety that is fairly easy to show off because the lines of the armor are much cleaner compared to Sigmarines.

Avenging Dentist fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Apr 13, 2016

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Business Gorillas posted:

the guy has a 16 year old vampire character he writes throughout a bunch of books and into marrying someone that looks exactly like him

Just to make this clear, he writes the character throughout a bunch of different series he writes that occur at different times and settings but always have the same name and basic backstory/personality. Not just that he wrote a bunch of books featuring the same character.

It's pretty much like if you play RPGs and you have that one friend that always wants to play the same character in any system, and he'll refuse to try anything that won't let him play his dual-wielding drizzt clone or whatever. Only this is with a character he clearly has a boner for.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Look man he's just trying to emulate Dante and his creepy beatification of a young girl he sorta saw in passing in a crowd once.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

Avenging Dentist posted:

Again, even a Space Marine tactical squad has more individual variety, and they have the added bonuses of 1) coming with unhelmeted heads to provide a bit of individuality, and 2) even when they're wearing helmets, the helmets suggest some emotion (an angry, scowling face). A Stormcast helmet looks like :geno:.

There's some variety, the guy on the bottom right has scrolls on his axe

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Mango Polo posted:

That head is having such an amazing time. Look at it.

Just huge, grin. Everyone is serious and dour, but this one, it's just enjoying life to its fullest.

It's a Nurgle head, of course it's having a great time.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

richyp posted:

There's some variety, the guy on the bottom right has scrolls on his axe

Those actually look better like this at a glance

But for real, if the Sigmarines had unhelmeted varieties to actually show they're humans in armor, a lot of issues with them would be resolved. For one, people could actually think of them as the "human" faction and there'd be far less confusion from casual browsers and older hands about what the hell they're supposed to be that are only answered in some secondary fiction outside the game line. They can't ever do it though because they designed themselves into a corner by making the helmets too small.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.
He's the one guy who's always having fun no matter what. He knows that GW's death approaches meaning 40K and AoS will enter a permanent state of heat-death.
Good for you Nurgle.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

thespaceinvader posted:

It's a Nurgle head, of course it's having a great time.

Nurgle head my rear end - that's Slimer.

(Actually, it looks like someone copied/pasted a squig head on there and colored it green.)

Real stuff: Is this pretty much a death thread now? I was going through my TK stuff and need ideas for a solid 2000 point list for WFB 6th ed.

berzerkmonkey fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Apr 13, 2016

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

His shinguard is more badass too.

To contrast this with Brets again look at these guys that are the rank and file of the army:

Each one has distinct different heraldry on their helmets and the painter is heavily encouraged to paint each one very differently (which admittedly was a nightmare). Then you have the Questing Knights where each model tells a story about their adventures.

With the Sigmar guys every one looks exactly the same baring weapons and maybe some more ornate shinguards. The entire faction is really bland and soulless and if it had no connection to Games Workshop no one would be defending it.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

berzerkmonkey posted:

Nurgle head my rear end - that's Slimer.

(Actually, it looks like someone copied/pasted a squig head on there and colored it green.)

Real stuff: Is this pretty much a death thread now? I was going through my TK stuff and need ideas for a solid 2000 point list.

The death thread is the anime thread isn't it. I thought this was the new KoW thread, the 40k thread is the new death thread and 30k thread is the current space marine thread soon to be new 40k thread?

(For TK you mean for WHFB/9th Age or KoW's Empire of Dust?)

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
this is the warhammer mourning thread

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Whenever I see the Questing Knights I really wanna know how that guy got that cabinet.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

His quest was to kill the mighty Credenzar and his evil yet sturdy and functional demon army with very little assembly required.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

richyp posted:

The death thread is the anime thread isn't it. I thought this was the new KoW thread, the 40k thread is the new death thread and 30k thread is the current space marine thread soon to be new 40k thread?

(For TK you mean for WHFB/9th Age or KoW's Empire of Dust?)

Oh sorry - I mean a TK list for WFB 6th ed.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Rulebook Heavily posted:

Those actually look better like this at a glance

But for real, if the Sigmarines had unhelmeted varieties to actually show they're humans in armor, a lot of issues with them would be resolved. For one, people could actually think of them as the "human" faction and there'd be far less confusion from casual browsers and older hands about what the hell they're supposed to be that are only answered in some secondary fiction outside the game line. They can't ever do it though because they designed themselves into a corner by making the helmets too small.

You're just not very good at picking up on subtle human emotions.

gently caress it, I'll make a chart for you.

Do you get it now?

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Questing knights were awesome in general and that lute musician is one of the best models in the range. Considering questing knights were armed with great weapons, I like to imagine he beaned folks with that thing and eventually killed a monster through the power of music and blunt trauma.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Pfft, who wants those old boring goofy Knights when you could have the beautifully detailed, characterful, unique Stormcast Eter- :vomarine: *FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAART*

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Bretonnia in general was pretty much the poster child for how Warhammer Fantasy might be cribbed together from a dozen other sources but sometimes doing that and then adding a little extra in their own direction produces something legit cool.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

berzerkmonkey posted:

Real stuff: Is this pretty much a death thread now? I was going through my TK stuff and need ideas for a solid 2000 point list for WFB 6th ed.

i remember the tk 6th ed lists looking like

- as many casters as possible
- archer core and chariots
- a burrowing unit or two
- block of tomb guard
- bone giant
- small unit of carrion
- casket

then again in high school we all played gunlines so :shrug:

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Mango Polo posted:

Do you get it now?

It's missing one for Landerig.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

Mango Polo posted:

Do you get it now?

That's like a reverse of when I was teaching a class of autistic kids to try and read different facial expressions except every answer was "Happy" instead of every face being meh. Next time I lesson plan one of those lessons I might use the sigmarine faces to see what their answers are.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
It was good to see Kim Newman branch out into acting in horror shows too though:

And to think he did end up with a waifu and a baibu!

Syrnn
Aug 16, 2004

I don't know, FX? That looks an awful lot like reality TV.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
Question 1: Whose face is the Stormcast Eternal death-mask supposed to be, Sigmar has a beard.

Question 2:

Skinty McEdger posted:

Well while Sigmar was off hiding and licking his wounds Nagash actually became the most powerful entity in existence and nearly took out chaos all on his own. And then Archon killed him when he was on the verge of his great victory (because of course he would). So now having recovered from being killed Nagash is pissed and wants to kill everything. Meanwhile Sigmar seems to be blissfully unaware that Nagash might not just want to hang about in his realm.

Oh and Nagash is responsible for the whole "every time they die they come back lesser" flaw in the Sigmarines. Again Sigmar hasn't picked up on this yet.

So Archaon is capable of killing Nagash, the God of Death. At the end of the day isn't Archaon just a really strong and angry viking with a magic sword, a magic helmet (though I think Grimgor broke the magic jewel in their token gesture of letting Grimgor "get some good hits in and make Archaon have to use one of his panic button moves" before killing him off) and a magic three headed chimera horse?
Like yeah he's favored by the gods but doesn't he actively reject ascending into a demon prince for Reasons? How is he even still alive?
Oh and he can apparently control what mutations he/his horse gets because he rejected the horned rat in a very rude manner, and it just didn't manifest an extension of itself onto his horse, instead of getting angry and giving him some lovely rat-based mutations with negative affects.
If he hates the Horned Rat so much he should wear a pink armband in memory of the old, good god.

Liquid Dinosaur fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Apr 13, 2016

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

Rulebook Heavily posted:

But for real, if the Sigmarines had unhelmeted varieties to actually show they're humans in armor, a lot of issues with them would be resolved.

The Bretonnian models prove you don't even really need bare heads (although it can help). Here's the minimal set of things GW could have done to make Sigmarines decent:

• Fix the proportions and posing to be at least as good as Space Marines.
  • Have lots of bits with individual heraldry, trinkets, etc from the Sigmarines' lives before they became Sigmarines. Provide these in all the kits for the "basic" level guys.
  • Have lots of scrolls, bones, purity seals, etc to add to the "veterans" to emphasize how they lost their humanity and need to be reminded of their purpose (like Dreadnoughts).
  • Bonus: make the new recruits look energetic and fanatical in their poses and make the veterans look like they're half asleep (or like golems, Thousand Sons, etc).

This gives you interesting figures with a lot of character and actually helps to reinforce how death as a Sigmarine causes you to lose a part of yourself.

Also make other unit types like those griffon puppies. Why they still haven't done a boxed set of those is beyond me.

In the hands of a competent team who worked together properly, you could make a good game out of most of the core ideas in AoS. But instead, GW made it.

Avenging Dentist fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Apr 13, 2016

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.
Does Archaon have a personality? Motivation? I just looked up info on him and I guess reading a book made him so angry he felt like ending the world. Guess he read the Age of Sigmar ruleset HIYOOO!

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

MrSlam posted:

Does Archaon have a personality? Motivation? I just looked up info on him and I guess reading a book made him so angry he felt like ending the world. Guess he read the Age of Sigmar ruleset HIYOOO!

No, he's basically a complete non-entity. GW mistaken people being bored with him being bland with thinking he's not 'awesome' enough, so they feed him some more actually interesting characters to try to make people actually like the guy and have everyone talk about him more, which just makes it worse. He's basically maximum Poochy.

Pawl
Sep 9, 2006

I'm seeing this from an AoS perspective.

white primer uber alles

MrSlam posted:

He plans on destroying the universe, taking the current pantheon of Chaos gods down with it, and remaking it in his own image. Not sure why.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

So Archaon is capable of killing Nagash, the God of Death. At the end of the day isn't Archaon just a really strong and angry viking with a magic sword, a magic helmet (though I think Grimgor broke the magic jewel in their token gesture of letting Grimgor "get some good hits in and make Archaon have to use one of his panic button moves" before killing him off) and a magic three headed chimera horse?
Like yeah he's favored by the gods but doesn't he actively reject ascending into a demon prince for Reasons? How is he even still alive?
Oh and he can apparently control what mutations he/his horse gets because he rejected the horned rat in a very rude manner, and it just didn't manifest an extension of itself onto his horse, instead of getting angry and giving him some lovely rat-based mutations with negative affects.
If he hates the Horned Rat so much he should wear a pink armband in memory of the old, good god.

Archaeon is now so powerful that even the chaos gods are afraid of him, and pay him tribute. No really.

They keep sending their mightest warriors and demons to kill him, but he keeps defeating them. Despite this they still work with him, but are afraid that he might one day turn on them. For his part he has decided it is his destiny to kill the chaos gods, and prays for the power to end chaos. In answer to his prayers he has reoccurring visions of him killing Sigmar.

Half of the knowing Slaanesh followers (ie not the slayer dwarfs) think he's is Slaanesh reborn, and worship him as their new god. The other half worship a random Keeper of Secrets.

Oh and this guy who is so powerful that he can murder the god of death and who the chaos gods terrified has a statline.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Skinty McEdger posted:

Archaeon is now so powerful that even the chaos gods are afraid of him, and pay him tribute. No really.

They've really pulled out the stops on 'But we keep making him more powerful! Why doesn't anyone like him yet!?' haven't they.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
One day Archaeon will take off his helmet, and beneath will be Roman Reigns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pawl
Sep 9, 2006

I'm seeing this from an AoS perspective.

white primer uber alles

Night10194 posted:

They've really pulled out the stops on 'But we keep making him more powerful! Why doesn't anyone like him yet!?' haven't they.

There's no breaks on the Archaon train, but the saddest part is that they're only building him up so much in order to have a hero rise and slay him later in a big moment (only to revive Archaon later, surely)

I just hope the hero is an Orc

• Locked thread