Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

It was kind of the the whole thing. It seemed way too small, had a super lovely converter and a weird bend in the body. It wasn't anything special looking either.

I replaced the nibs on my Ahab and Konrad but they never made me happy. I've still got those pens even though I don't want to used them any more. I've got a Jinhao I could stick the nibs I got for those Noodler's but the one it came with works perfectly well. And I can't get it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Had a weird experience with a Japanese seller off of Amazon. I ordered a fountain pen and that showed up in the mail today, but another package from the same seller also showed up, with a very cheap ballpoint pen with a note that it was a free gift.

Okay, that's cool, something like that is always appreciated.

But...

Why did they send it in a separate package? Kinda strange.

Also why does Sailor have a line of ballpoints called "Indy Go Go"?

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

grack posted:

Japan.

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

I started getting the urge to get back into fountain pens sometime last fall, and with a convenient push from someone in the TPS thread, I fell hard. I had bought two Pilot Metros during my first itch, and now.... I own a lime green Pilot Vanishing Point. It's so wonderful :homebrew:
I'm lucky/unlucky enough that I have a really good pen store in my town with a really knowledgeable owner. I have a small Rhodia planner but I needed something bigger to take meetings in notes and while I work. Any suggestions before I head back to the temptation store?

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

grack posted:

Had a weird experience with a Japanese seller off of Amazon. I ordered a fountain pen and that showed up in the mail today, but another package from the same seller also showed up, with a very cheap ballpoint pen with a note that it was a free gift.

But...

ONe pen is less likely to get tangled up in customs than 2 pens?

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

grack posted:

But...

I got tea once from a JPN seller. It's a nice complimentary gift.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

Shirec posted:

I started getting the urge to get back into fountain pens sometime last fall, and with a convenient push from someone in the TPS thread, I fell hard. I had bought two Pilot Metros during my first itch, and now.... I own a lime green Pilot Vanishing Point. It's so wonderful :homebrew:
I'm lucky/unlucky enough that I have a really good pen store in my town with a really knowledgeable owner. I have a small Rhodia planner but I needed something bigger to take meetings in notes and while I work. Any suggestions before I head back to the temptation store?

What's your local store called?

Rhodia makes a thing called a meeting book -- it's got a wide column on each page for notes, and a narrower column for action items. I use it as a daily planner, and it's pretty handy.

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

atholbrose posted:

What's your local store called?

Rhodia makes a thing called a meeting book -- it's got a wide column on each page for notes, and a narrower column for action items. I use it as a daily planner, and it's pretty handy.

Office Supplies & More, haha. It's a very nondescript name but the owner is very much into fountain pens. I spent a long time starting at bottles of J. Herbin ink

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I have a couple of the Rhodia meeting books but to be honest I prefer a regular notepad for meeting notes. The action item column is nice but most of the time I'd rather have the whole page to spread my notes out more.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

One of the biggest problems I keep running into with notebooks is that they fluff up and get air between all the pages, resulting in the drat things deforming when I rest my hand on them to write - my hand presses down on the middle-ish part of the page and the outer parts bow upwards. Ends up pushing the page against my nib for longer, leading to little trails at the end of letters, super wet writing because the paper's pressing harder against the nib, etc.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I really like the Rhodia A4 spiral-bound I got, but it is too floppy to write on in any situation than a perfectly-flat table. Do they have general things to handle those pads?

I wonder if I just want a really sturdy, hard-back, ring-bound notebook with good loose-leaf. I like big sheets, but I do not need many sheets at once.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I really like the Rhodia A4 spiral-bound I got, but it is too floppy to write on in any situation than a perfectly-flat table. Do they have general things to handle those pads?

I wonder if I just want a really sturdy, hard-back, ring-bound notebook with good loose-leaf. I like big sheets, but I do not need many sheets at once.

They do make padfolios, for the top bound pads. Rhodia's Webby notebooks are a great hardcover notebook but a bit pricey, and I've met a few paper dorks who swear by the Japanese binder system.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

NeurosisHead posted:

I've met a few paper dorks who swear by the Japanese binder system.

Is that just a binder with a whole bunch of holes instead of three? Because if so, that's really awesome.

I have a really hard time using bound notebooks since I don't want to mess them up or waste them. That usually means I never start using them. I've got a couple of blank ones in my bag. I mostly used loose leaf in school but never three ring binders. I just stuck some blank sheets in a folder. It was pretty convenient though since I could bring lined, blank and graph paper and just use whatever at the time, then stick them in the folder to study later.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

It's basically a whole bunch of holes down the side of the page, with two of the main holes (where a normal two-hole punch would go) being extra big.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Heh, that seems pretty novel. It looks like if I got an A4-sized binder, I could still toss in smaller sheets if I needed to for this or that. My one gripe with ring binders is I had a tendency to wreck the rings too easily. Then again, I think I was generally just using crap when I was in school.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Yeah, that's basically what it's designed to do. You can use the paper with the typical many-ring notebook spines most Japanese stores sell, and you can also use it with standard two-ring A4 binders.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I am having a hard time sorting out everything. I was getting convinced that maybe B5 is the way to go. I was thinking about what it was like cramming this A4 Rhodia into the backpacks I use now, and realized that B5 would indeed do me better. I can find plenty of great B5 Japanese binders that will take my bullshit, but it goes to hell when I get into paper. I am looking for:

Grid or dot
Fountain-pen friendly
B5
26 hole

Suddenly I am struggling on Amazon.com. It looks like I would have to source the paper elsewhere. Even getting loose, unperforated is rough. I do not want to immediately have to get a hole punch.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I am having a hard time sorting out everything. I was getting convinced that maybe B5 is the way to go. I was thinking about what it was like cramming this A4 Rhodia into the backpacks I use now, and realized that B5 would indeed do me better. I can find plenty of great B5 Japanese binders that will take my bullshit, but it goes to hell when I get into paper. I am looking for:

Grid or dot
Fountain-pen friendly
B5
26 hole

Suddenly I am struggling on Amazon.com. It looks like I would have to source the paper elsewhere. Even getting loose, unperforated is rough. I do not want to immediately have to get a hole punch.

Here's what I use in my Japanese loose-leaf binder -- Kokuyo Campus B5 dotted-rule paper. It's 6mm-ruled paper with dots on/in the lines, so it's a mix between ruled and dot-grid. I like it a lot, it's very fountain-pen friendly, and not terribly expensive. This is the style of binder I keep it in, though mine is orange. Kokuyo has several different kinds of binders, including flatter ones, and the 26-ring system is pretty standard, so you could go with someone else's.

(And hey, I guess they do have straight-up 5mm grid paper as well.)

If in your other message you were talking about a Rhodia top-spiral notebook, yeah, those slide all over the place and are difficult to use. Side-spiral notebooks are much better. The meeting book comes with a cardboard inset in the back to make the whole thing stiffer, which also helps.

Shirec posted:

Office Supplies & More, haha. It's a very nondescript name but the owner is very much into fountain pens. I spent a long time starting at bottles of J. Herbin ink

I checked the store out online -- looks like a pretty cool place. I really like J. Herbin inks but some of the colors are pretty impractical, to say the least. A few of my all-time favorite fall-back inks are Herbin -- Lie de The, Bleu Nuit, Poussiere de Lune.

atholbrose fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Apr 10, 2016

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
Not to derail paper chat because seriously, finding your notebook is really gratifying - but speaking of inks Anderson Pens is stocking Akkerman now. I loving love those bottles.

GoodBee posted:

I have a really hard time using bound notebooks since I don't want to mess them up or waste them. That usually means I never start using them.

This is something that I struggled with for a long time. My preferred journaling/creative writing book has become the Seven Seas Writer. I just let my stream of conciousness splatter all over the pages, and if I like an essay or short story I wrote enough to keep it and develop it I type it up to save for later. Once I let go of the idea of having a specific topic in a book I was able to get into enjoying really nice paper a lot more.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

NeurosisHead posted:

Not to derail paper chat because seriously, finding your notebook is really gratifying - but speaking of inks Anderson Pens is stocking Akkerman now. I loving love those bottles.

As much as I love Anderson Pens -- they're my go-to online store and Brian does great pen repairs -- it's so much cheaper to just buy Akkerman inks straight from the source. The last time we did so, with shipping, it worked out to $19 per bottle. I love my bottle of Shocking Blue...

(Edited, because math is hard.)

atholbrose fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Apr 10, 2016

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

Wait, are people swooning over 23 ring binders that I used in high school like so much and are pretty much a standard thing here?

A4, 23 holes, lined
A4, 23 holed, 10mm grid
A3, 17 holes, lined

We can but that poo poo all over the place here.

Ah well, I use paperblank notebooks for all my business needs, the tackier the better.
Buy the 240 pages versions, they have a pattern on the side of the pages as well.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

America doesn't even generally use the A- and B-sized series because they love 8.5x11 so much

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

atholbrose posted:

Here's what I use in my Japanese loose-leaf binder -- Kokuyo Campus B5 dotted-rule paper. It's 6mm-ruled paper with dots on/in the lines, so it's a mix between ruled and dot-grid. I like it a lot, it's very fountain-pen friendly, and not terribly expensive. This is the style of binder I keep it in, though mine is orange. Kokuyo has several different kinds of binders, including flatter ones, and the 26-ring system is pretty standard, so you could go with someone else's.

(And hey, I guess they do have straight-up 5mm grid paper as well.)

If in your other message you were talking about a Rhodia top-spiral notebook, yeah, those slide all over the place and are difficult to use. Side-spiral notebooks are much better. The meeting book comes with a cardboard inset in the back to make the whole thing stiffer, which also helps.

Thanks. I saw that Kokuyo paper, but the pictures weren't making it clear what it was exactly. That kind of helped me straighten that all out. I am getting some strong-rear end binder because I otherwise can't have nice things.

I actually have Rhodia side spiral-bound A4s, and that is what makes it awkward to stash. I have to run the binding down the side of my bag. It snags and wants to bend every which way. The paper is drat awesome though.

Keetron posted:

Wait, are people swooning over 23 ring binders that I used in high school like so much and are pretty much a standard thing here?

We can but that poo poo all over the place here.
Apparently yes. I guess my mid-life crisis is going to be getting all the tools and stationary I should have been using in high school and college. I'd always wind up with these 3-ring binders where 2-out-of-3 rings would poo poo themselves halfway through the year, with paper that I probably would have been better suited wiping my rear end with. I liked to use Pilot gel pens and they'd bleed right through. The binders for 8.5x11 would also just get messed up in my backpacks. It looks like what I should have had was one awesome binder that went to Fight Club on the weekends for all my subjects, and just filtered the crap when I didn't need it anymore. I don't know if these 26-ring dealies will actually do any better, but I suspect they'll help prevent the pages from ripping all over the place.

(I probably should have had one of those gently caress-all boxy backpacks the Japanese kids seem to use, even though I was a teenager, because I think I abused my stuff too much. Back in the day, nobody would have known any better and wouldn't have been making fun of me for that particular thing.)

So I just ordered the paper, the binder, some bags to stash pens and the such, and a Rhodia list-sized pad. My inclination is instead of having multiple crap notebooks, I'll just use this stupid thing to death and sift stuff out when I am done with it. I have found I put todo stuff, my programming notes, homebrew notes, grocery lists, recipes, and the like all in whatever is handy, so this should make my life easier. Oh, and a 1.5mm Lamy Safari. I really like these pens in particular. I like them more than my Metros.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Thanks. I saw that Kokuyo paper, but the pictures weren't making it clear what it was exactly. That kind of helped me straighten that all out. I am getting some strong-rear end binder because I otherwise can't have nice things.

I actually have Rhodia side spiral-bound A4s, and that is what makes it awkward to stash. I have to run the binding down the side of my bag. It snags and wants to bend every which way. The paper is drat awesome though.
Apparently yes. I guess my mid-life crisis is going to be getting all the tools and stationary I should have been using in high school and college. I'd always wind up with these 3-ring binders where 2-out-of-3 rings would poo poo themselves halfway through the year, with paper that I probably would have been better suited wiping my rear end with. I liked to use Pilot gel pens and they'd bleed right through. The binders for 8.5x11 would also just get messed up in my backpacks. It looks like what I should have had was one awesome binder that went to Fight Club on the weekends for all my subjects, and just filtered the crap when I didn't need it anymore. I don't know if these 26-ring dealies will actually do any better, but I suspect they'll help prevent the pages from ripping all over the place.

(I probably should have had one of those gently caress-all boxy backpacks the Japanese kids seem to use, even though I was a teenager, because I think I abused my stuff too much. Back in the day, nobody would have known any better and wouldn't have been making fun of me for that particular thing.)

So I just ordered the paper, the binder, some bags to stash pens and the such, and a Rhodia list-sized pad. My inclination is instead of having multiple crap notebooks, I'll just use this stupid thing to death and sift stuff out when I am done with it. I have found I put todo stuff, my programming notes, homebrew notes, grocery lists, recipes, and the like all in whatever is handy, so this should make my life easier. Oh, and a 1.5mm Lamy Safari. I really like these pens in particular. I like them more than my Metros.

I know it's kinda turning into the hip thing du jour, but have you looked into bullet journaling? As far as organization systems for multi-purpose notebooks go it's pretty effective. It's how I handle my planner and it's worked great for the last year or so for me.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

NeurosisHead posted:

I know it's kinda turning into the hip thing du jour, but have you looked into bullet journaling? As far as organization systems for multi-purpose notebooks go it's pretty effective. It's how I handle my planner and it's worked great for the last year or so for me.

I never heard of it, so I skimmed the video. My issue is less on task organization and more on idea organization. I could see doing something like that for the different things I am juggling, and maybe have a chore journal, but I do not think I want to structure everything under that.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
I might be a little late for Notebook Chat but I love the Hobonichi Cousin. It plus cover plus shipping ended up being pretty pricey but it has so many different organization methods in it and I really dig the "page per day" pages for just ideas. It is April-start so you haven't missed many days yet.

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

I found out about MassDrop from this thread, and I got an email yesterday(?) that the Lamy 2000 is on drop if anyone is missing that, like I am and won't be shortly.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Remember to compare prices with typical online stores. Massdrop is often not actually any cheaper, or the discount is so bad that it's not worth waiting for the drop.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Bought a Carene off of Amazon, listed by the seller as "Brand New". Comes in, look at the nib under magnification and it's got ink stains all over it, and when rinsing the pen all the water comes out with a blue tinge. "Brand New" my rear end.

Writes nicely, though.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Don't some manufacturers do some test writing in the factory? I know someone itt recommended washing out new pens for exactly that reason.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
Sometimes that's from factory testing; it's part of why you should flush the nib/feed first on a new pen.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Test writing is almost always a dip, there shouldn't be that much ink coming out and the pens are generally cleaned afterwards. Also the converter was clearly used as it's somewhat scratched up.

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

So I got a few Rhodia notebooks and it's amazing how different they feel than bottom-grade notebooks and post-its.

Kessel posted:

Remember to compare prices with typical online stores. Massdrop is often not actually any cheaper, or the discount is so bad that it's not worth waiting for the drop.

Oh dang, I didn't know that. I know I paid a bit more for my Vanishing Point because I went into a physical store, and when I asked about the Lamy 2000, he told me it was ~140-160, so I thought 103 was a steal, haha.

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013
What are you fellas' thoughts on the Waterman Hémispherè?

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I like the jinhao starry night, any other alternatives that aren't Chinese roulette or should I buy a goulet #6 and call it a day?

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

tater_salad posted:

I like the jinhao starry night, any other alternatives that aren't Chinese roulette or should I buy a goulet #6 and call it a day?

I got a starry night for $3 and change off Amazon, for that price yeah just chuck a goulet nib in it if you don't like the stock one. I've found it to be fine so far.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Nothing like getting Japanese binder paper, some extra stuff for binder organization, and a new pen, but no Japanese binder. Oh yes, delivered by 8PM, Amazon Prime. Sure. This is kind of like trying to get a genie to grant a wish, right?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Noctis Horrendae posted:

If you like slim, slightly overpriced, pens they're real good.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

Noctis Horrendae posted:

I really like the design so I have three. The one I bought new is a terrible starter, the others are okay I guess. Then I gor a pilot metro and haven't looked back since. I wish I was kidding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Naturally, instead of getting a Kokuyo B5 binder for my paper a day late today, I get a mysterious pair of scissors. I guess I will be using this paper in a clipboard or something for awhile.