Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?

TheQuietWilds posted:

I just got a provisional offer from Drexel College of Medicine for their linkage from the Penn Post-bac. I need a 75th percentile MCAT score to finalize the linkage. Everything on one exam, no pressure or anything.

Ended up drinking with a bunch of chicks that had just received their acceptance letters for JHU, the amount of :smugdog: PA vs MD bullshit was awesome because it made the free blood money bomb-drop so much more satisfying. Seriously, holy loving poo poo the amount of money for that program made me almost do a spit take.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

FOURTH WAVE LESBRO posted:

Ended up drinking with a bunch of chicks that had just received their acceptance letters for JHU, the amount of :smugdog: PA vs MD bullshit was awesome because it made the free blood money bomb-drop so much more satisfying. Seriously, holy loving poo poo the amount of money for that program made me almost do a spit take.

I love the blood-money bomb. The TA that runs my micro lab asked me some joke-question last week in front of everybody that relied on "we're all in debt up to our eyeballs" for the punchline, and I was like "oh I don't know how much this program costs, the VA pays for it and gives me $2000/m for living expenses and buys my books." The hatred emanating from the entire room was palpable.

App13
Dec 31, 2011

Disability and Boston BAH is a beautiful thing. I save a stupid amount though, so I still live frugally.

Not like, college frugally, but grown up frugally.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
The Gasoline And Dynamite
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Casimir Radon posted:

:barf: Rough semester.

Eh, this semester has just been working on finishing my capstone. Not too bad, just doing bits at a time.

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?
One month to go til I get my computer integrated machining cert, and I peace the gently caress out of this town. God willing I will get the position I'm eyeing, and if not, I'll find something else.

There are no butts to stare at in the machine shop. :smith:

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Admiral Bosch posted:

One month to go til I get my computer integrated machining cert, and I peace the gently caress out of this town. God willing I will get the position I'm eyeing, and if not, I'll find something else.

There are no butts to stare at in the machine shop. :smith:

Just machine some and embrace the new normal of the future

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Just machine some and embrace the new normal of the future

I need a physical model to take measurements from.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Build a robot?

Spoke with Vocrehab today and we are kind of in limbo trying to decide if he should take my case and then try to transfer it to SD or for me to wait until I move, as he can't transfer until I am there physically in SD, for me to start fresh with the VocRehab guys. Either or, waiting games suck. Still waiting on my ratings for disability.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
What do ya'll use for dental insurance

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

That VA program.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Zeris posted:

My employer's dental insurance.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

psydude posted:

My employer's dental insurance.

Are you a student

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Zeris posted:

Are you a student

Yes.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Real talk, dental insurance as an unemployed full-time student over 26 is rough. Have you tried a bunch of whiskey and a rock?

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Zeris posted:

The dental school at my college does free basic dental work for veteran students, apparently it's not all that rare of a practice

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

psydude posted:

Real talk, dental insurance as an unemployed full-time student over 26 is rough. Have you tried a bunch of whiskey and a rock?

:(

I don't have anything wrong with me, but I'd rather pay a couple bucks a month than a thousand bucks the next time something does go wrong. But I have no idea what a baseline policy even costs. I am assuming it's not too bad but who knows? I'm 31 and never had to pay for insurance in my life, go army.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Three years without health insurance was spooky. I can sympathize.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
I got an email from DoS: they passed my internship application over to the US embassy in Kazakhstan, and they thought it would be a good fit. After exchanging a few emails with the section head, we agreed to Skype this morning and talk about the position. The overall impression I got was that while I might not be doing the most exciting work, it's real-world and (hopefully) meaningful. The guy made sure to impress upon me the fact that they treat their interns pretty much like an FSO, so their housing is great, their responsibilities are reasonably big, and expectations are fairly high. Honestly, that's pretty appealing.

Anyway, I told the guy I was interested, and he said that he would run it by the boss and probably have a conditional offer by the end of the week. An hour after we finished talking, I got an email back saying, "Immediate yes from the section head. Consider this an offer for the fall."

So that's cool :)

Time Crisis Actor fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Apr 13, 2016

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Always happy to see a soldier get the better end of the deal as opposed to Uncle Same for a change

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

I wanted to work for an embassy, mainly Albania but I can't cause I have family there.

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

Deathy McDeath posted:

I got an email from DoS: they passed my internship application over to the US embassy in Kazakhstan, and they thought it would be a good fit. After exchanging a few emails with the section head, we agreed to Skype this morning and talk about the position. The overall impression I got was that while I might not be doing the most exciting work, it's real-world and (hopefully) meaningful. The guy made sure to impress upon me the fact that they treat their interns pretty much like an FSO, so their housing is great, their responsibilities are reasonably big, and expectations are fairly high. Honestly, that's pretty appealing.

Anyway, I told the guy I was intrrested, and he said that he would run it by the boss and probably have a conditional offer by the end of the week. An hour after we finished talking, I got an email back saying, "Immediate yes from the section head. Consider this an offer for the fall."

So that's cool :)

Kazakhstan is a really good place to work. I was there for a few years in the oilfield and it's just a nice chill place with mostly chill people. It's a Muslim country but everybody drinks and some of the women are just stunning. If you get chance get onto the Steppes in winter. -20 with nothing but flat sand and camels with Golden Eagles flying about in clear blue skies, utterly breath taking.
Also keep to the speed limit, the traffic police are super keen and the customs at the airport make up their own rules for what you can bring in and "fine" you accordingly.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Dude that's awesome Deathy! Really nice pay off for your efforts in school.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
bz deathy!!!!

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
I'm friends with a dentist, very nice lady with two of her own offices, I get free dental work because when people skip out on their bill I do her legwork and find them so she can collect either through an agency or adjudication. I've also done some cabling and simple IT stuff for her a few times as well. All in all it's a pretty sweet deal

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
deathy are you becoming jack ryan

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
It's just State homie. It's like the polar opposite of being a super spy who later becomes the president.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
big things have small beginnings

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Intern for State would be a good cover.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

holocaust bloopers posted:

deathy are you becoming jack ryan

If he is then I get dibs on being the morally-gray private eye he hides out with in an early book where he's on the run from a shadow agency out to kill him for his knowledge of the Jenkin's file and then later provides him with the crucial dirt on his political rival who's heavily entrenched with the DoD and DoJ in a later book

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

I know there's one or two GIP posters who are getting or got a GIS certificate through an online program. I'm looking into it myself and I've got a couple of questions,

1)My employer in their wisdom won't help pay for it, though if it were a graduate degree in history or an MLS, they would. Oh well. It's only 8-10k but would you say it's worth paying out of pocket for? Or am I going to find that unless I'm already in an industry that relies on GIS, I'm wasting my money? Seems like a marketable skill and I live in DC so I figure my odds of making it worth my while are better here.

2)How demanding is it? Like if I'm meh with math, am I going to hate it? I currently work with basic statistical data in excel daily, so I'm not completely math illiterate. The only experience I have with GIS was seeing it used when I interned with FEMA ages ago. I understand what it is and what it's used for, but have no knowledge of how to actually use it. So, how hard is it to get into?

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Booblord Zagats posted:

I get free dental work because when people skip out on their bill I do her legwork and find them

:stare:

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

CONGRATS DEATHY

can I post that embarrassing thing of you now?

just kidding, it doesn't exist

it does exist

Cheers to Deathy and his future mongol wife.

it does exist and I'm not sharing it ever

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

It's far easier/less sinister than it sounds. Worst case one was a guy who skipped out on a bill using a false name and I found out he was on probation. Just called his PO for a theft of services complaint and he went back to lock up

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Handsome Ralph posted:

I know there's one or two GIP posters who are getting or got a GIS certificate through an online program. I'm looking into it myself and I've got a couple of questions,

1)My employer in their wisdom won't help pay for it, though if it were a graduate degree in history or an MLS, they would. Oh well. It's only 8-10k but would you say it's worth paying out of pocket for? Or am I going to find that unless I'm already in an industry that relies on GIS, I'm wasting my money? Seems like a marketable skill and I live in DC so I figure my odds of making it worth my while are better here.

2)How demanding is it? Like if I'm meh with math, am I going to hate it? I currently work with basic statistical data in excel daily, so I'm not completely math illiterate. The only experience I have with GIS was seeing it used when I interned with FEMA ages ago. I understand what it is and what it's used for, but have no knowledge of how to actually use it. So, how hard is it to get into?
GIS major, although not online. Can't really answer anything about online programs.

If you can handle Excel you can handle GIS stats. You'll probably end up using Excel a bunch anyway.

App13
Dec 31, 2011

I use excel and photoshop about as much as I use ArcGIS

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
isnt khazakstan the place with the weird cult of personality dictatorship?

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

You're thinking of Turkmenistan.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Deathy McDeath posted:

You're thinking of Turkmenistan.

And they say people learn nothing watching Archer

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
Get a giant Mastiff and name him Kazak when you go there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

Nah, one of my exes had a dad in the FBI who worked at the embassy in Kazakhstan, and apparently Nazarbayev was quite a tool. But I guess that's par for the course in that region.

Deathy, start working on your Borat impression.

Nazarbayev shenanigans:

wikipedia posted:

In May 2007, the Parliament of Kazakhstan approved a constitutional amendment which would allow Nazarbayev to seek re-election as many times as he wishes. This amendment applies specifically and only to Nazarbayev, since it states that the first president will have no limits on how many times he can run for office, but subsequent presidents will be held to a five-year term.[37]

Nothing else exciting about the dude. He's a pretty boring dictator, doesn't really kill or torture enough to meet quotas, kowtows to local Islamic power holders like Iran and licks Russia's butthole obviously. Probably got a good deal for reducing his nuclear arsenal to zero.

• Locked thread