Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Chingon
Oct 9, 2012

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

Can someone from Uruguay tell me why the hell everything is so expensive except for mate and legal weed?

I'm not from Uruguay, but I will take a wild guess and say that everything has to be imported except mate and weed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

Huevo se dice argidia. Argidia!

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

Can someone from Uruguay tell me why the hell everything is so expensive except for mate and legal weed?

I'm not aware of any legal weed being available for sale so you might have bought from a criminal.

Transport prices are insane, sales tax is 22% renting a place to open a business is expensive as hell and you can't make a profit by lowering prices and letting the increased volume take you to black because no one lives here and most people are poor. Also monopolies and oligopolies everywhere.

El Chingon posted:

I'm not from Uruguay, but I will take a wild guess and say that everything has to be imported except mate and weed.

The yerba mate we drink comes from Brazil and the weed from Paraguay.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
A little tidbit about the Lyra family I got to personally witness.

I was in Alagoas in 2005 for work reasons, and when I came down for breakfast at the hotel there was an odd buzz going on with the staff/people. I asked a local friend, and he told me that a friend of the Lyra family was drunk and riving and basically climbed onto the curb with his car and ran over a small group of people. He was taken into custody, but everyone was a little jumpy as to what would happen next.

That afternoon, a posse of armed Lyra goons literally went over to the police district. The head honcho went inside, made it clear that they were getting the guy out, and they got the guy out. That as the end of that.

And this is when their power was waning, mind.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Janot, the attorney general, has flip-flopped and now decided that Lula cannot be named minister. I think this is pretty much confirmation that the impeachment has the required votes and so now people are auditioning for the Temer government.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Something about rats being the first to abandon ship

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Reports that Kirchner has been charged with money laundering.

quote:

Cristina Fernandez, who stepped down as president of Argentina in December after eight years in office, has been charged by a prosecutor with money laundering, local media reported on Saturday.

The decision follows testimony on Friday by businessman Leonardo Farina, who in a plea bargain implicated Fernandez and her late husband and former President Nestor Kirchner in a case related to money laundering and embezzling funds earmarked for public works.

Julio De Vido, a longtime Fernandez and Kirchner ally and former minister, was also charged, local newspapers Clarin and La Nacion reported, citing judicial sources.

Reuters could not immediately confirm the charges with the prosecutor's office.

Last Tuesday, another Fernandez ally, businessman Lazaro Baez, was arrested for questioning as part of the same investigation.

Fernandez, 63, is due to answer questions in court on Wednesday over a separate probe into the sale of U.S. dollar futures contracts at below-market rates by the central bank during her administration.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-argentina-court-idUSKCN0X60SP

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
Wealthy Latin Americans pay very little taxes http://www.pragmatismopolitico.com.br/2016/04/ricos-da-america-latina-sao-os-que-pagam-menos-impostos-no-mundo.html

Just leaving this article here (in portuguese) in case anyone wants to know why latin americans countries are so hosed up.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

Anyone want to give a break down on Marci's mention in the Panama papers? My gf is Argentinian and is currently crowing about the evil just wing corrupt people being dealt with by an honest above board politician. I'm sure Marci is an improvement but I'd like to get her to admit that it's a difference of degree rather than him being purity and light while the previous government did nothing but gently caress the country for personal benefit.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
Well the article linked above quotes an organisation that claims Macri's reforms have returned 1.4 million people to poverty since December. Maybe it doesn't matter if he's corrupt or not, he's still probably an rear end in a top hat for trying to fix a deficit by taking from the absolute poorest in the country.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

hoiyes posted:

Well the article linked above quotes an organisation that claims Macri's reforms have returned 1.4 million people to poverty since December. Maybe it doesn't matter if he's corrupt or not, he's still probably an rear end in a top hat for trying to fix a deficit by taking from the absolute poorest in the country.

Haven't he tripled the power bills and removed subsidies from other public services?

Jambo Jambos
Sep 3, 2011
Macri's involvement was apparently with his dad's company before he took office, that was the first one, there are possibly others? There are also apparently more people in his party named. Along with Cristina's friend Munoz.

The past fiveish years have been terrible in Argentina, Macri got rid of the crazy dual exchange rate system where tourists and locals were exchanging their dollars for 15 pesos to the dollar whilst i'm sure many with access to the official rates were buying dollars at 7-9 pesos to the dollar and selling them on the black market.

This change resulted in one rate that's been around 15 pesos to the dollar.

They've done a deal with the bond holders who didn't agree with the previous governments offers, in theory allowing them to enter the money markets again and borrow at much better rates than they were previously.

Inflation hasn't stopped and everything has gone up in price by quite a lot.

Cristina seriously hosed up INDEC, the organisation for finding statistics on the country, and used them to lie about inflation, crime, poverty etc So any "increase" is impossible to tell.

They're claiming it will take months before they can give accurate statistics, most likely they want the initial shock of the overhaul they've done to the country to take effect though.

The article above also says that the poverty will decrease 32.6% when the new social services kicks in. Subsidies to power, water etc was universal along with ridiculously low rates, so much so the grid was never upgraded. In places where you used to have 1 house with a family of four they built tower blocks. Power outages became very common every summer.

They've been proactive on firing thousands of state employee's claiming they are Gnocchis and don't work. Stories of 4x4 meter rooms supposedly having 20-30 workers in them but usually being empty for weeks on end.

Nepotism is alive and well with sons, daughters etc getting positions within the new government.

Overall better than the crazy poo poo that went on before but far from perfect.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Meanwhile, the Panama Papers are virtually ignored by Brazilian media. If you are wondering why, the heirs to Rede Globo are named in them, as are all major parties, with the exception of PT.

Edit: And now Temer has accidentally leaked the message he is going to deliver to supporters in case of impeachment (which I'd put as "almost certain").

joepinetree fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Apr 11, 2016

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo
Can anyone give me a down low on why Keiko Fuijimoro is so popular in Peru and about to win their elections? Is it a law and order thing? I've done a lot of humanitarian work in Iquitos and my Peruvian friends who I worked with hate Keiko, but I'd like to get a general not 100 percent biased viewpoint if we have any Peru goons.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

RocktheCaulk posted:

Can anyone give me a down low on why Keiko Fuijimoro is so popular in Peru and about to win their elections? Is it a law and order thing? I've done a lot of humanitarian work in Iquitos and my Peruvian friends who I worked with hate Keiko, but I'd like to get a general not 100 percent biased viewpoint if we have any Peru goons.

Also how big of a deal is the shining path?

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

RocktheCaulk posted:

From what I read she runs a neoliberal tough on crime platform and I guess the second one is pretty popular and Humalla hosed up by having an empty mandate but even if she makes to the second round of election I think whoever js against her will win because theres a big rejection of her father (especially since she promised pardoning him from his 25 years jail term for corruption and crimes against humanity lol)

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

joepinetree posted:

Meanwhile, the Panama Papers are virtually ignored by Brazilian media. If you are wondering why, the heirs to Rede Globo are named in them, as are all major parties, with the exception of PT.

Edit: And now Temer has accidentally leaked the message he is going to deliver to supporters in case of impeachment (which I'd put as "almost certain").

Temer is a loving joke.

Is there anywhere other than some blogs and Carta Capital reporting on the Marinho dynasty being in the Panama Papers? I don't doubt the credibility of that and I don't doubt Globo is perfectly capable of imposing a media blackout on that, given they are by far the most powerful institution in Brazil, but would be nice seeing it from a source that wouldn't be dismissed outright by people in favour of the Impeachment.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

ZearothK posted:

Temer is a loving joke.

Is there anywhere other than some blogs and Carta Capital reporting on the Marinho dynasty being in the Panama Papers? I don't doubt the credibility of that and I don't doubt Globo is perfectly capable of imposing a media blackout on that, given they are by far the most powerful institution in Brazil, but would be nice seeing it from a source that wouldn't be dismissed outright by people in favour of the Impeachment.

What kind of person you know who defends the Marinhos? Is this a new thing in the brazilian right that I'm not aware of?

I feel like I'm the most chill brazilian about the Marinhos and Globo that I know. Like sure, they're super biased and manipulative sometimes, but I really can't see them as this big bad evil who detains all the real power or whatever. In a way, it's a very similar sentiment that some americans used to have about CNN.

But still, I wouldn't doubt for a second that the richest family in Brazil would evade taxes lol

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Globo is legit the fourth power around these parts, dude. They're the second biggest broadcaster in the WORLD, no one gets that big without a lot of pull. I wouldn't say people defend the Marinhos, but there's quite a bit of downplaying on their poo poo coverage and paranoia/"PTism" accusations hurled towards people that point fingers at Globo, especially from MBL/EPL.

They're Fox News, except with a lot more influence and a more discreet bias.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
ugh, double post

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot stay in the cradle forever.
Are renewables in general a politicized topic in Brazil? like it happened in Spain and Uk, would we expect the opposition to undo all the current decarbonization plans when they come into power?

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

What decarbonization? The PT government went heavy on the Pre-Sal oil fields and Ethanol but not much other than that.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

ZearothK posted:

Temer is a loving joke.

Because of the way the Panama Papers leak was set up, in Brazil only Fernando Rodrigues and reporters from Folha and Estadao have access to the data, and they have obviously not reported on it. The source(s) for the globo info is that a Dutch newspaper that is handling part of the data decided to report on it:

https://panamapapers.nl/#!het-balletje-rolt-via-nederland

The source for the Marinho info is something that carta capital pieced together from publicly available data:

The Marinhos are involved because of a house in Paraty that was illegally constructed in the middle of Mata Atlantica. The Marinhos claim the house isn't theirs, but as you can see in the following link Paula Marinho Azevedo was the client who commissioned the design of the house:

http://www.dedalominosse.org/eng/2011_segnalazioni.php (search for Marinho Azevedo - this is a link to an international architecture award that goes to the person who commissioned the house, in this case Paula Marinho Azevedo)

The house is under the name of Agropecuária Veine Patrimonial

http://cnpj.info/AGROPECUARIA-VEINE-PATRIMONIAL-LTDA/2Pse/

Using the CNPJ of Agropecuaria Veine in the Receita Federal website:

http://www.receita.fazenda.gov.br/PessoaJuridica/CNPJ/cnpjreva/Cnpjreva_Solicitacao.asp

You get their current address. But, more importantly, if you go to the bottom of that page and click on QSA to know who are the owners, you are going to find out that Veine Patrimonial is owned by Vaincre LLC.

Vaincre LLC is a corporation in Nevada (US):

http://www.nevadacorporates.com/corp/691897.html

Which was founded by M F CORPORATE SERVICES, which is, in turn a subsidiary of Mossack Fonseca

http://money.cnn.com/2016/04/06/news/panama-papers-mossack-fonseca-nevada/

Now, even it you thought the links were tenuous in terms of how it all links back to the Marinhos, check out FN 5 Participacoes:

http://empresasdobrasil.com/empresa/fn-5-participacoes-ltda-15265257000142

Take their CNPJ, go back to the Receita Federal link above, and check the owners (by clicking on QSA). You will see that its the Marinho heirs. Then check the address, which you will see is the same as Agropecuaria Veine Patrimonial.

So you can see the links between the Marinho heirs and Mossack Fonseca for yourself. Now, let's say that you really don't care about tax evasion. The thing is that this goes beyond tax evasion. Because the house in question was built in a nature preserve, illegally:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2012-03-08/brazil-s-rich-build-homes-in-nature-preserves

So Globo uses Mossack Fonseca to pay off the books money to have the rights to libertadores, the Marinho heirs use Mossack Fonseca to evade taxes and build luxury 14,000 square foot homes in the middle of a nature preserve, the data to report on that is ALL publicly available and verifiable by people like you or I, and it does not get reported ANYWHERE outside of carta capital and blogs.

Meanwhile, on Sunday, Eduardo Cunha is going to get congress to impeach Dilma for technical violations of budget reporting laws that every president and most governors have done, because he knows that once she is gone no one is going say poo poo about corruption.

For American goons who are wondering what all of the above is about : imagine if Rupert Murdoch's kids illegally built a mansion in the middle of Yosemite national park, registered it to a shell corporation tied to Mossack Fonseca, and then publicly denied any involvement in that. Even as they entered the house, in their name, in an international architectural competition. And the local shell corporation that officially owned the house used the Newscorp address. And no one ever said a word about it in mainstream media.

joepinetree fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Apr 13, 2016

Temaukel
Mar 28, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

MrNemo posted:

Anyone want to give a break down on Marci's mention in the Panama papers? My gf is Argentinian and is currently crowing about the evil just wing corrupt people being dealt with by an honest above board politician. I'm sure Marci is an improvement but I'd like to get her to admit that it's a difference of degree rather than him being purity and light while the previous government did nothing but gently caress the country for personal benefit.

That's not even remotely true.

Jambo Jambos
Sep 3, 2011

Temaukel posted:

That's not even remotely true.
How is Macri not an improvement over the crazy past 5 years?

Markovnikov
Nov 6, 2010
If by improvement you mean going back tonthe roaring 90's, then sure.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

joepinetree posted:

A good post.

Thanks, that's a fine collection of information and I am glad you put in the effort to put it here.

When I saw the composition of the lower house I had the feeling these would be very long and painful four years, but turns out they might end up nightmarish instead. I do think popular pressure on corruption won't fade when Dilma gets kicked out, because people are very rilled up, but Temer certainly won't be impeached by this legislative no matter what is uncovered about him and PMDB is likely to give us the worst government in the history of Brazil for the next few years.

Magrov
Mar 27, 2010

I'm completely lost and have no idea what's going on. I'll be at my bunker.

If you need any diplomatic or mineral stuff just call me. If you plan to nuke India please give me a 5 minute warning to close the windows!

Also Iapetus sucks!

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

:magical:

So this isn't just an emptyquote:

- "Will corruption end, then?"
- "Well... It should show up less often in the news..."
- "Is that a good thing?"

Jambo Jambos
Sep 3, 2011

Markovnikov posted:

If by improvement you mean going back tonthe roaring 90's, then sure.

He hasn't created a silly inflexible 1 to 1 conversion and kept it until all industries were uncompetitive.

All he's done is tried to get Argentina back into the financial markets, normalized the exchange rate and reduced the number of state employees.

He hasn't opened up imports or sold off any state assets. Please explain how he's returned Argentina to the 90s.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

ZearothK posted:

Thanks, that's a fine collection of information and I am glad you put in the effort to put it here.

When I saw the composition of the lower house I had the feeling these would be very long and painful four years, but turns out they might end up nightmarish instead. I do think popular pressure on corruption won't fade when Dilma gets kicked out, because people are very rilled up, but Temer certainly won't be impeached by this legislative no matter what is uncovered about him and PMDB is likely to give us the worst government in the history of Brazil for the next few years.

I will be massively shocked if, once Dilma is out, there is a single large scale protest against Temer or Cunha (at least one not organized by PT or CUT). I will also be very, very surprised if Cunha, Temer or Aecio get indicted on anything.

I mean, just this morning we got news that Cunha was pressuring Gim Agrello to cut a deal. When someone is pressuring people to cut a deal and spill the beans on a scandal that involves them directly, it is because they are pretty sure that nothing will happen to them.

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011

Jambo Jambos posted:

He hasn't created a silly inflexible 1 to 1 conversion and kept it until all industries were uncompetitive.

All he's done is tried to get Argentina back into the financial markets, normalized the exchange rate and reduced the number of state employees.

He hasn't opened up imports or sold off any state assets. Please explain how he's returned Argentina to the 90s.
I obtained a legal justification for not voting in the last elections because I thought giving my vote to either Macri or Scioli was morally reprehensible, and I want to stress how much I detest Macri and I think Cambiemos as a whole is a disastrous party and in no way aligned with the interests of the people. Having said that, they're better than the Peronists, who have completely ruined this country several times, and Nestor and Cristina did nothing more than profit off the poor and common working people. Direct criticism towards Macri all you want (and so many criticisms of him and his allies are totally valid) but I honestly believe he is slightly less worse than the Kirchnerists. Inflation, the rate hike on public transportation and utilities, the debt negotiations, these are all things that are carried over from the previous administration and if Scioli was in power right now people would be talking about how an agreement with the last bondholders is nothing more than the realisation of the dream of fiscal independence commenced by Nestor when gave the IMF everything they wanted. Anyone who says that we're back in the 90s either doesn't remember the 90s, or is a Peronist (and has conveniently forgotten that it was a Peronist government that signed us up to the Washington consensus).

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Temer is gonna be shielded by the media so much that unless he sodomizes a baby in live air during his innauguration hes gonna get away with everything.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Sounds like the Americas need to be reformated and started over again from scratch.

The Unnamed One
Jan 13, 2012

"BOOM!"
Make Americas Great Again

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

El Scotch posted:

Sounds like the Americas need to be reformated and started over again from scratch.

Trump was right, the first step is to build a partition!

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice
Argentina gets to be master(race) boot record.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Thaddius the Large posted:

Trump was right, the first step is to build a partition!

No need for partitions, just wipe everything! A blank slate can't possibly be worse than what's in now.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
man, no way. feels like it took five centuries to recover from the mess the last clean wipe left.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

An ISIL chief threatened that Brazil is gonna be their next target. Great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Frankly, we are hosting the Olympics. That always paints a target on a country.