Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Merauder posted:

Well, not understanding what I'm missing about the second boss the giant tree. Either my damage is terrible (though I'm doing fine with Fire Estoc +3 everywhere else), or there's some trick I'm not picking up on. I'm not able to see tells well enough for attacks, and even when I can, I can't seem to figure out how to properly dodge them. I've gotten the encounter to drop through the floor but that's at like 20% HP loss and I'm already burning through Estus by then.

He has pretty big windups for his attacks but they can take some time to get down, and this may be a dumb question but damage-wise are you hitting the weak spots? If you really have trouble summon somebody, I beat him solo but I co-oped with some people and he's totally trivialized with more than one person

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Video of 15 tips that many may not be aware of

http://www.kotaku.co.uk/2016/04/13/a-dark-souls-expert-points-out-15-hidden-mechanics-in-dark-souls-3

Also having watched this video don't be afraid that you're going hollow from one of the NPCs. It has it's benefits.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

The broadsword is probably the best weapon in the game, so yeah.

And if you think titanite is rare just progress in the game. Every tier of it becomes a common drop from enemies eventually, at the point when the developers want you to have a +3 or +6 or whatever.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

Pablo Gigante posted:

He has pretty big windups for his attacks but they can take some time to get down, and this may be a dumb question but damage-wise are you hitting the weak spots? If you really have trouble summon somebody, I beat him solo but I co-oped with some people and he's totally trivialized with more than one person

Yeah I am, just not able to get in to them efficiently without getting slammed into by something I can hardly see coming.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I'm very amused by the end of the Cathedral of the Deep.

I invade the guy's house open all his doors and prepare to kick his rear end... and it turns out he's off on vacation. :argh:

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

ufarn posted:

Alright, thanks, guess I won't have to worry about it this game that one.

Who is the girl I can touch/ignore, and what happens? I assume the former involves pissing off the nasty dude guarding her, but beyond that minor complication.

She's a miracle trainer, if you touch her and accept her service she goes to Firelink. Try to keep her away from the little creatures though.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Merauder posted:

Yeah I am, just not able to get in to them efficiently without getting slammed into by something I can hardly see coming.

Shields help a lot too even against the big slam attacks

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

Has there been any word on a fix for this sound stuttering bug that's been plaguing me? Every time I'm in a menu or running around the sound effects keep cutting out and fading back in, its silly annoying.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Regy Rusty posted:

I'm very amused by the end of the Cathedral of the Deep.

I invade the guy's house open all his doors and prepare to kick his rear end... and it turns out he's off on vacation. :argh:

This was totally me, I was so hype for the Oil Man and then no it's just flabby old bozos everywhere.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

Your Computer posted:

Anyone? :(

I hate how rare titanite is in this game, if the sword is indeed garbage then it's still the only +4 weapon available to me for a while since I've gotten all the Large Shards available in the areas I've been.

Supposedly you can buy one from one of the NPCs in the game.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Merauder posted:

Well, not understanding what I'm missing about the second boss the giant tree. Either my damage is terrible (though I'm doing fine with Fire Estoc +3 everywhere else), or there's some trick I'm not picking up on. I'm not able to see tells well enough for attacks, and even when I can, I can't seem to figure out how to properly dodge them. I've gotten the encounter to drop through the floor but that's at like 20% HP loss and I'm already burning through Estus by then.

Stay mobile, opportunistically go after his more vulnerable bubbles. He has poo poo all for ranged attacks that aren't his roll, and the zeds in phase one are pretty slow and his attacks hit them, so just keep moving and go in when there's an opening.

He's the hardest boss of the first real three, but when he clicks he clicks and becomes very nearly trivial.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Merauder posted:

Hit the nut sack harder.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Is the first mimic you find behind the dragon way harder than they were in the last two games or did I just not find any until I was a much higher level?

sexual Norm
Aug 23, 2007

It's like shaking hands with a professional armwrestler.
Has anyone made a bleed weapon yet? I'd like to know how much extra bleed you get. The gain from Luck seems really slow.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

I think the hardest part about invading is that the host has the massive HP buff, so a 1 on 1 scenario is already pretty weighted against the phantom

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Thanks thread title. I stole you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glIT8aZNVbo

Have some more boss fights:

Iudex Gundyr: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBFDyxs5fos

Curse-rotted Greatwood: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCxqZu5LtQo

Abyss Watchers: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTgN0Zs2NBY

Crystal Sage: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFBhAGWlnrU

Edit: Also forgot the last 2 were set to private while I was waiting for them to be processed fully. They're public now.

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Apr 13, 2016

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Sakurazuka posted:

Is the first mimic you find behind the dragon way harder than they were in the last two games or did I just not find any until I was a much higher level?

He drops the games drake sword. So it makes sense, Its really not that hard after you get the broadsword though.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

He does? Pretty sure he only dropped the Mimic helm for me...

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Wow, from really outdid themselves on the hit detection this time.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Estus usage being so easy kind of ruins pvp for me. Unless you can burst someone down super fast most fights just turn into slugfests.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Thanks thread title. I stole you.

There's not much point spoilering the boss names when it says them at the top of the embedded video. :v:

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Sakurazuka posted:

There's not much point spoilering the boss names when it says them at the top of the embedded video. :v:

They don't embed for me. Is that a SALR thing?

Edit: Oh, it's a native option that I have turned off. Well gently caress.

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Apr 13, 2016

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

Tenzarin posted:

He drops the games drake sword. So it makes sense, Its really not that hard after you get the broadsword though.

You mean the deep battle axe? Not really finding it that great. Seems pretty identical in damage to the battle axe I started with.

Which is confusing because it says it should be doing around 244 damage, both physical and dark. Yet it only does around 110.

Is the dark damage just not happening for some reason?

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

theblackw0lf posted:

You mean the deep battle axe? Not really finding it that great. Seems pretty identical in damage to the battle axe I started with.

Which is confusing because it says it should be doing around 244 damage, both physical and dark. Yet it only does around 110.

Split damage sucks

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

theblackw0lf posted:

Def noticed a damage jump from the broadsword. I'm getting close to 30 str so I'm just now dropping it. Elemental weapons are the best weapons on a low level character.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Your Computer posted:

I hate how rare titanite is in this game, if the sword is indeed garbage then it's still the only +4 weapon available to me for a while since I've gotten all the Large Shards available in the areas I've been.

I'm curious about this, too, because that weapon seems really good. I'm inclined to believe scary ghost dog's explanation, though, that making it refined and lowering its base damage is what caused it to be weaker.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
i spent 35 minutes at the beginning of High Wall without realizing there are stairs down behind the bonfire

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

No but seriously the broadsword is the best weapon in the game

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Whats the story on enemy respawning. Haven't seen anything disappear yet except the big one-offs

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
Oh my God finally caught up with this thread. I'm only still in the settlement, but starting as a Pyromancer with a raw Astora Straight Sword feels like easymode. I'm glad Bloodborne broke me in regards to shields, because now I'm just 2-handing the Deep Axe and rear end and rolling around unless I need to hurl a fireball.

PC version, GTX970 i5-3570k and an 850EVO SSD and I'm downsampling this game from 1440 to 1080p at maxed out everything and it's glorious. Like, how did I never play a Souls game on PC before? Oh right, I never had a computer powerful enough at the time to play things the way they were intended.

So I saved the dude who wants to draw out my ~truuuuue powaaaaaaaah~ but I never took him up on the offer. Just talked a bunch and bought a spell from him. My character is now in blackface. How did I hollow? Is that a bug or should I just go all in on :unsmigghh: ?

Also I'm hoping 15VIT will be enough to wear some Knight Armor while not fatrolling as a flamebro? The Knight starting class starts with 15VIT and full armor and a shield so I'm assuming that should be all the VIT I need for a Pyro?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

theblackw0lf posted:

What you're encountering is the split damage issue. Because each damage type has to pass through a separate resistance, it ends up doing much less damage than its attack rating suggests it should. To compensate, weapons that deal split damage tend to have higher overall attack ratings, but it doesn't always work out to be more damage.

Fire and Deep weapons don't scale, so they're pretty great for low-level characters if you upgrade them, but if you're doing more damage with something else, definitely stick with that.

Fhqwhgads posted:

Also I'm hoping 15VIT will be enough to wear some Knight Armor while not fatrolling as a flamebro? The Knight starting class starts with 15VIT and full armor and a shield so I'm assuming that should be all the VIT I need for a Pyro?

The limiting factor I've found has been heavy weapons. The Knight can roll fine in starting armor, with its starting shield and a Longsword, but the Longsword is surprisingly light. If you're sticking to weapons around that weight range and not equipping more secondary weapons/heavier shields, you should be fine with 15-20 Vitality. And, in case you don't know, there are two rings that can help shore up your Vitality later on: Havel's Ring is back, and the Prisoner's Chain gives you +5 Vit, Vigor, and Endurance.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
The Lothric Knights became easy instead of very hard once I realized I should go on the offensive instead of trying to play defensively. They don't use their shields all that often.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Are there just not that many weapons in this game? DS2 had hundreds. Getting demon souls let you craft some pretty crazy uniques as well. Even before the expansions. Is this game really small or something?

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
You're right, this game is just like Bloodborne with its 5 different weapons and it's really small.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

Fhqwhgads posted:

So I saved the dude who wants to draw out my ~truuuuue powaaaaaaaah~ but I never took him up on the offer. Just talked a bunch and bought a spell from him. My character is now in blackface. How did I hollow? Is that a bug or should I just go all in on :unsmigghh: ?

Watch the video I posted above. It's advantageous to stay hollow and continue the quest line.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Philthy posted:

Are there just not that many weapons in this game? DS2 had hundreds. Getting demon souls let you craft some pretty crazy uniques as well. Even before the expansions. Is this game really small or something?

Here are all the weapons the wiki knows about : http://darksouls3.wiki.fextralife.com/Weapons

Probably fewer than DS2, but I honestly thought DS2 had too many samey weapons. DS3 isn't exactly a shining beacon of weapon uniqueness either, but at least there aren't like ten versions of the Mirrah Greatsword this time :v: (I kid, I kid, please nobody eviscerate me)

I'm also biased because Bloodborne, with DLC, has I think 25 main-hand weapons total and I think it's actually plenty, so DS3 looks like it has tons to me.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Philthy posted:

what makes you say this

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Your Computer posted:

Straight swords are incredibly good in DS3 from what I've seen, they have much higher base damage relative to other weapons than they did previously.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID

theblackw0lf posted:

Watch the video I posted above. It's advantageous to stay hollow and continue the quest line.

I'll check that out when I'm not at work, and I've spoiled myself on lots of things so I knew it was coming, which was why I was sure not to take him up on it, but I'm just more curious now as to how/why it looks like I'm hollowing when I specifically avoided that option. Welp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Philthy posted:

Play more, kill more. I got a poo poo ton of weapons, shields, etc.