Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

jng2058 posted:

It's a roll and move game similar to Firefly. You control one ship, fly around doing missions, hauling cargo, exploring, or blowing poo poo up in search of victory points. First to (select a number to determine length of game) in VPs wins. Doing almost anything, including dropping off cargo, blowing someone up, exploring a new system, completing a job, or rolling a natural 20(!) gets you VP. Along the way you can earn little bonus titles that give you minor abilities. You get cash, and use it to buy components to your ship or to replace your ship with a bigger, better one. This is important because they use the Galaxy Trucker style tetris mode ship construction system. While you do roll for movement, what dice you roll is determined by your engines so you can mitigate that if you emphasize speed over weapons/shields/cargo space/etc.

Like Firefly, it suffers from a certain lack of interactivity. You're not usually enthralled by what everyone else is doing since it rarely matters to your own move, and further, the downtime sucks even more because you can't really plan your move until you've rolled to see how far you can go. Unless, of course, you decide to gun up and go player hunting in which case there's a lot of interactivity....which is almost entirely you hunting down your likely unarmed opponents because they decided to be the best explorer or cargo hauler they could be and don't have any guns at all. There's a bounty system where every time you shoot another player you become more attractive to other players to hunt down, but that means that they've got to start dumping things off their ships to gun up instead. In short, either you're ignoring the other players entirely or you're trolling them or they're trolling you.

Mind you, turns are pretty quick so there's not that much downtime to suffer through. Roll for movement, move, roll if you run into a space hazard or otherwise interact with something, complete an action if you're someplace interesting. Go on to the next player's turn.

For what it is, a roll and move space game, it's not bad I guess. But if what it is doesn't appeal to you, there's nothing in this that will win you over if roll and move ain't you thing.

Thanks for the detailed write up, there's only one room in my heart for trashy roll-and-move space game and her name is Venus Merchant.

I hope I'm not turned off by how cheap looking Vlaada's Star Trek will end up being. It seems like Wizkids is going straight for a casual Mage Knight head to toe complete with Skittles colored dilithium crystals and mana warp dice? Is it too much to ask for a good and original space exploration game??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

al-azad posted:

Thanks for the detailed write up, there's only one room in my heart for trashy roll-and-move space game and her name is Venus Merchant.

I hope I'm not turned off by how cheap looking Vlaada's Star Trek will end up being. It seems like Wizkids is going straight for a casual Mage Knight head to toe complete with Skittles colored dilithium crystals and mana warp dice? Is it too much to ask for a good and original space exploration game??
Space Empires 4X? :v:

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

Tekopo posted:

Space Empires 4X? :v:

Isn't that just a wargame?

Nique
May 18, 2006

Picked up Pax Pamir in a trade despite not knowing too much about it. Have never played any Ecklund game before and figured I should give one a shot.

Learning the rules now, and i'm already dreading teaching this. :(

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Mojo Jojo posted:

It's mostly a wargame, yes, but there is an exploration element to it as well.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

It's terrible but at the end of the day the kind of "adventurer in space" game I want to play is literally Mage Knight in space but ugh Star Trek Frontiers looks like such a cheap lazy cash in!

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Nique posted:

Picked up Pax Pamir in a trade despite not knowing too much about it. Have never played any Ecklund game before and figured I should give one a shot.

There should be some kind of living rules document online written by a native English speaker rather than a, I don't know, a very intelligent monkey with a sugar overdose.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Countblanc posted:

First Copper Country and now this, I can get behind this apparent criticism of capital via board games.

I just woke up and didn't understand a word of your post so I checked out the link, I like the idea but despite the good sounding idea and nice looking game I get the feeling this is their first rodeo. Plus in the kinda weird FAQ it sounds like they consider this primarily an awareness-building educational "game" :siren:

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I'm really worried, after the disappointment of DoW, of 'collaborative games where players have secret agendas'. It's very difficult to make game like those work well.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
It does kind of remind me of Judge Dredd Block Wars (I think?) in which players each control a block in Mega-City One which is at war with each other.

The neatest thing about the game was the built in timer & great shift. The deck was two sided. First you pay the one side which applies during your block war (essentially reinforcements, etc.) Then when the deck has run out, law enforcement has arrived to kick everyone's asses. You turn the deck over; the reverse side is police actions.

You play out the rest of the game with no new units and every turn the active player draws one police action and applies it (usually trying to target their enemies and avoiding themselves, but the ability to do that doesn't last long) The police rapidly and steadily mop up until there's no one left, while each player tries to make the most of their dwindling resources.

I only played it a couple times but I remember really liking it overall and finding the end game clever. Although the main game was very tons-of-tiny-chits wargame-y, but those were the times.

The Eyes Have It fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Apr 13, 2016

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Bloc by Bloc uses the same garbage action dice system that DoW has, welp, not gonna back.

EDIT: I'll be more general: any system in which high dice rolls are strictly better than low dice rolls is garbage. For all of its faults, Bora Bora has a system in which both low dice rolls and high rolls are equally valuable, for different reasons. DoW and now Bloc By Bloc has straight 'oh you didn't roll well? welp, guess you don't get to do what you want to do'

The reason why the incorporated the dice mechanism doesn't excuse it either: basically, there are districts in the cities in which it is harder to do actions, so you require a 4+ or 5+ or whatever. This is understandable, but instead of doing the smart thing and making it so that you have action points and doing certain actions in those districts cost more, they decided to leave your ability to do things to the whims of fate.

Tekopo fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Apr 13, 2016

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Ironically the idea of "insurgent actions are difficult in certain places and thus requires a die roll" reminds me of Labyrinth

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
All action points are theft t:mad: t:mad: t:mad:

first up againt the wall, m8

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Mister Sinewave posted:

All action points are theft t:mad: t:mad: t:mad:

first up againt the wall, m8
Mister Sinewave prefers a system where the 6s are always better and superior than the 1s, and thus it is clear that he's just an agent provocateur, working for the bad game establishment.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Dice come in a staggering array of shapes, sizes, sides, and colors (all beautiful) but they are all just D6s to you, aren't they?

Anyway you're like totally wrong but I only played Bloc by Bloc until turn 3 so I can't tell you why yet, I might learn that next round though so lets just put a pin in this for now

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Dice as actions is fine but the smart thing is like Marco Polo where you get free poo poo for rolling bad and the most plentiful resource more or less changes the value to whatever you need. Paying money based on the lowest die is also super smart because you want to pair 1s with 6s to get the most value.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I'd love to be proved wrong, and maybe in this particular situation, the action dice systems actually works, but I do have my doubts.. I've had another look and sure, you can get stuff that affects the rolls, but this still doesn't get past the crucial point that high rolls are always better than low rolls. There isn't anything that I've seen so far (in the rules, the PbP of the loot cards etc) that couldn't have been done with an Action Point system.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

al-azad posted:

Dice as actions is fine but the smart thing is like Marco Polo where you get free poo poo for rolling bad and the most plentiful resource more or less changes the value to whatever you need. Paying money based on the lowest die is also super smart because you want to pair 1s with 6s to get the most value.
I haven't played Marco Polo, but I wasn't railing against action dice systems as a whole, just ones in which high rolls are strictly better than low rolls, no matter the situation, which is something that both Bloc by Bloc and DoW share. Bora Bora is an example of a good action dice system: high dice give you more stuff for a particular action, but low dice lock out that action to other players (because you have to play a lower dice than the current one on the action to actually do the action). Alien Frontiers somewhat has this as well, since high rolls are better in certain situations, but low rolls are better in others.

EDIT: Also, cards that affect your dice rolls are not a fix to the issue of rolling badly. Someone that doesn't have to use a resource in order to fix his roll is still in a better position that someone that does

Tekopo fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Apr 13, 2016

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Nique posted:

Do yourself a favor and get the board from Sierra Madre. It's so much easier to visualize and even has small blurbs on what each special action does:

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

al-azad posted:

Signorie does this interestingly too. You're shooting to come in under some total for end of round bonuses, but high dice are still useful since a) actions need a minimum result though you can dump cash to make up the shortfall and b) you can build your engine to take advantage of higher results on most actions.

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

Pairing a 1 with a 6 just gets you a pair of 1s, though, which is the worst possible result on a lot of the tables.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Mojo Jojo posted:

It is. And nowhere near as much fun as Merchant of Venus, one of my all time favorites. If you have to play Space Empires, be sure to play it with two, otherwise have a phone or tablet available to stay awake between turns.

(No, I didn't like Space Empires but I like my 4x games on the computer where they belong).

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

al-azad posted:

No problem. I don't mind Xia, but it's not a game I like enough to buy (particularly at full price). And since neither of the guys in my gaming groups who own the game like it enough to break it out in favor of other, better, games I'll likely never play it again. Which doesn't really bother me, which, in turn, should tell you everything you need to know about Xia.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
Xia is poo poo.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
The Warhammer Quest ACG is so loving good and my partner who really only likes co-op games is loving it too. I hope they come out with a ton of expansions I can vomit dollars into. Also next to no setup/cleanup. It's like the perfect game for us.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
Got an email from GMT saying they've charged my card for Cuba Libre. Not long now! :f5:

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

hoiyes posted:

Got an email from GMT saying they've charged my card for Cuba Libre. Not long now! :f5:

Yup. How lucky am I that I'm getting hit with like $300 in GMT reprints all at once!? :suicide:

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

Nique posted:

It's actually pretty easy, just make sure to let the other players flip through the tiny rule book a little bit so they know what actions they can do. You'll want to get the living rules doc because it is much better at explaining the game. The big thing that my group missed on the first play through was that you can't draw above your hand limit except for the mandatory recall of cards in play during a failed topple (although you can play above your tableu limit).

There are a couple other fiddly bits, such as the cash being more or less zero-sum. If a card adds money to the table through Leveraged then that money leaves if that card leaves play. If someone 'spends money on an action that money goes to the cards in the last column of the queue.. The British favor card is sort of an exception to this. Oh, that's another rule we missed, the favor card goes to whoever has the most influence in an empire regardless of their loyalty. In case you're wondering how you can get influence without being loyal the answer is spies. Spies are awesome because when they're on a card not in your tableu they can give you influence from the card they're spying on, but they won't save your rear end from being taxed or crushed by armies. Overall it's a pretty well-designed game, but try to play with more than three people and don't read the last page of the rule book because holy poo poo what the gently caress Eklund.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
As someone who has never played a COIN game, and just got charged for the P500 of Cuba Libre, I probably shouldn't start purchasing other COIN games until I give this one a try right? I ask because A Distant Plain and Falling Skies are about to go for reprint, and if I miss my chance now, I'm guessing it will be close to another year. They both sound awesome, but I'm guessing they are significantly more complex than Cubra Libre, and it might be a bad idea to jump the gun on them.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Megasabin posted:

As someone who has never played a COIN game, and just got charged for the P500 of Cuba Libre, I probably shouldn't start purchasing other COIN games until I give this one a try right? I ask because A Distant Plain and Falling Skies are about to go for reprint, and if I miss my chance now, I'm guessing it will be close to another year. They both sound awesome, but I'm guessing they are significantly more complex than Cubra Libre, and it might be a bad idea to jump the gun on them.

I own Fire In The Lake, which is generally agreed to be the most complex COIN, and I eagerly await the arrival of both Cuba Libre and Falling Sky. CL seems much simpler and faster, but no one really knows how FS plays. ADP is supposedly similar to FITL in terms of complexity, so pick it up if the setting interests you. They all share the same underlying system, but they aren't simply reskins of the same game.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I think the big disconnect with Pax Pamir at first is understanding that you, the player, are separate from the dueling factions. I picked up Imperial 2030 on a whim and I'm pretty excited at the prospect of a game where I'm cultivating and exploiting the growth of multiple powers instead of being one of those powers. Pax Pamir is similar and you need to stress that loving yourself over to tactically switch sides is a viable strategy. It's easy to get hung up in the mindset of "I am Afghanistan or Russians and I need to stick with it."

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013
One of my favorite authors, Brandon Sanderson, is having a board game made based on one of his series. I'll probably just get it regardless, as Mistborn is pretty cool, but I don't have high hopes as for quality.

Caedar
Dec 28, 2004

Will do there, buddy.

Megasabin posted:

The designer of the COIN Series has said that he's purposefully tried to pull back the complexity in Falling Sky from the height achieved in Fire in the Lake, so it's probably on the level of A Distant Plain or between Cuba Libre and A Distant Plain. Based on my read of the rulebook, it does look simpler than A Distant Plain, but in a very different way than Cuba Libre. However, COIN is definitely an acquired taste: a friend of mine hates the series because of its fairly slow pace and its focus on methodical yet fragile strategy (all of which I love). Check out Cuba Libre first, try to get a quick play in to see if it clicks for you, and then grab Falling Sky if you like it before it sells out.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Taran_Wanderer posted:

One of my favorite authors, Brandon Sanderson, is having a board game made based on one of his series. I'll probably just get it regardless, as Mistborn is pretty cool, but I don't have high hopes as for quality.

Kevin Wilson? Really? I'm not holding my breath. But I'll still probably buy it, cause Mistborn <3

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012
Played a 3 player game of Quadropolis. Final scores were 51, 49 and 41. Even though I came dead last I still liked it a lot! Basic rules, of course.

Mortley
Jan 18, 2005

aux tep unt rep uni ovi
How many of y'all still actually like Carcassonne a lot? I still take a turn or two in the iOS app against friends who live abroad pretty much every day, with varying expansions (although not phantom or princess or whatever other annoying ones). I own Hunters and Gatherers, which is OK, but the art style is occasionally unclear and isn't very attractive, and the mechanics encourage you to fight nearly every move of your opponent. I played the South Seas and Gold Rush variants at the local board game library and liked them both. South Seas is much less cutthroat and thus my girlfriend likes it more. I actually like that no one has to keep score on the track. Gold Rush is fun, but basically it just partially randomizes the scores for cities. It's hard to imagine a situation in which the mining tent mechanic would determine the winner.

Are there any other variants that you would recommend? Carcassonne: The Castle (the one in which the new tiles you place don't have to connect with previously-placed tiles, because you're playing within a walled city) seems interesting, but it's a chunk of change to drop without knowing and with having access to so many other ways to play other games in the series.

I started playing random opponents through the matchmaking, and I noticed that people play quite differently than I do. I was surprised that someone who made what I saw as a newbie error - placing a meeple in a field within the first ten tiles - ended up beating me. I realized that since I learned the game, these are the first people I've played against who I did not myself teach how to play. And that I've never read a strategy guide for this game.

The board game library has a Carcassonne tournament coming up at the end of this month. Can anybody point me toward a strategy guide?

I am also wondering if there's kind of a way to learn about board game design in general through the lens of Carcassonne, given that it's the board game I know best. Are the new variations still meaningfully "designer" games?

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

Taran_Wanderer posted:

At least they are doing something potentially more interesting rather than a mini bases coop Dungeon crawler but the back catalogue from those guys is lacklustre at best

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I'm really fond of Carcassonne Gold Rush. Farms are tied to icons on the board, the monastery equivalent has to be completed with roads, roads get a bump in value with train car icons doubling their worth, and the city equivalent mountains spit out tokens other players can siphon. There's more to do and it's a little more chaotic which puts a fresh spin on an old game without having to cart around expansions.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Sounds neat. Mix up some good parts of Carcspansions into a single game without bloating playtime with more tiles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
How is TS:Steam?