Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

PS4 may not get infinite keys through cheating but we do get sicknasty auto aim that makes the starting pistols infinitely more powerful :v:?

Seriously though it takes a couple clips to put down a blue shotgun kin by the end of a run but they move so slowly to you and have such a easy pattern it doesn't really bother me. Like the only time I've ever felt compelled to whip out one of my bigger guns is when I'm tossed into a tiny room with like 6-7 enemies starting out next to my face or when a obvious "big" enemy is on screen like the Lead Maiden or Shelletons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Trick Question posted:

That sounds like it gets tedious.

poemdexter said to get good not have fun.

What the setup for Cheat Engine (CE) on unlimited keys? I've never used CE before.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I spend most of my ammo on normal enemies from floor 3 onwards all the time, and I rarely run out. Just keep a couple of your strongest ones for the bosses.
Seriously, adding infinite keys seems like it'd remove a lot of the challenge from the game, I had one run where I got the special AK-47 that opens all locks early on, and it was a cakewalk start to finish. When you get to open every chest and can spend all your casings on upgrades and health/shields, you get overpowered extremely quickly. It'd kinda be like modding Nuclear Throne to have more health or infinite ammo.

Ah well, to each their own, I suppose.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Apr 13, 2016

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

BexGu posted:

What the setup for Cheat Engine (CE) on unlimited keys? I've never used CE before.

Download cheat engine 6.5, run it then select ettg exe from the blinking thing and open up the ettg cheat table you grabbed from the thread. Then mark checkboxes for stuff noting whether or not you need to let the game do something first (it says if you do)

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
Is there some sort of strategy for finding secret rooms like there was in Isaac? Randomly shooting everywhere and wasting my ammo never seems to work. In fact, i've yet to find a secret room outside of just getting a map.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Also, for how uncommon it is, why is the map only for one floor?

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

BexGu posted:

Install cheat engine.
Download the cheat table file in the OP here
Start Enter the Gungeon
Tab out, run the cheat table file
Click open process, choose EtG.exe, click open
Click yes keep the current code list
Click the check box for unlimited keys

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
I had a run last night where the game was giving me so many keys I didn't even get to use them all. I can only assume that I will pay for this by never finding a key again, ever.

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

First floor, rainbow chest full of cool stuff. Second floor, spice and the hidden market. Finished the Dragun with over 11 hearts left, and then killed the past with the Marine. Feels good man.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

de la peche posted:

First floor, rainbow chest full of cool stuff. Second floor, spice and the hidden market. Finished the Dragun with over 11 hearts left, and then killed the past with the Marine. Feels good man.

Getting Guderer has it's perks :clint:

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

I wish that, in Binding of Isaac, whenever I get brimstone I`m restricted to only use it once per level at the boss. It would be ideal to turn it off and just use tears the rest of the time to prove how good I am at the game

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

lmfao they still don't have a guaranteed key drop per floor? A+ devs

the devs literally confirmed that every floor's shop will have a key if you haven't found a key by the time you reach that shop

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The shop that can be behind a locked door.

drink_bleach
Dec 13, 2004

Praise the Sun!

de la peche posted:

Yeah I just had spice on my last run and it almost feels like an instant win. Pop 2 of them then do whatever you want to victory, I almost even got all of the bosses with no hits, sadly got hit on the stupid snake fight out of all of them.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
I finally went after the Old King today and he destroyed me. Does he have Jammed health because it seems like my AK was hardly doing anything to him?

I also fought a Jammed Cannonbalrog today, which was not a good time.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Digirat posted:

The shop that can be behind a locked door.

But every character starts with one key so you can open it. (still no excuse)

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
So here's a balance proposal:

Increase the cost and rarity of armour, but treat them like soul hearts in Binding of Isaac. That is, if you get hit by a boss but it only plinks armour? You're still eligible for the no hit bonus.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

To be honest the no hit reward on bosses is already a snowball mechanic that only rewards the players who need it less and contributes to the feeling that you should restart a run long before it's actually over (anytime a game's design demoralizes you to the point where you don't think it's worth trying anymore, it has hosed up big time). It's a smaller issue than the other stuff I've been complaining about though.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
That 'Restarting after the first boss' phenomena is precisely why I suggested that armor mechanic. Especially since the Marine is a starting character of sorts. Even when you don't restart the attrition will usually get you.

I hate to just suggest making this game more like Binding of Isaac, but especially since the floors take much longer to complete than BoI, especially the first floor outset, it feels like a slog to keep repeating the first floor.

PoizenJam fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Apr 13, 2016

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Having one less health isn't going to break a run, there's no need to reset if you get hit on the first floor unless you're going for Lead God or something.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Power of Pecota posted:

Having one less health isn't going to break a run, there's no need to reset if you get hit on the first floor unless you're going for Lead God or something.

It does add up - the difference between three and six hearts is massive. And yeah, it is really weird that +health is for the best players who need that health the least. Low max health should be something for high skill players, not low skill players - like in Isaac.

The_North
May 13, 2009

All of Them Witches

Wolpertinger posted:

It does add up - the difference between three and six hearts is massive. And yeah, it is really weird that +health is for the best players who need that health the least. Low max health should be something for high skill players, not low skill players - like in Isaac.

Yeah, that's true. The reward for not getting hit in Isaac is to trade max health for items, not to get more max health.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

There is some seriously tedious garbage in this game

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

I mean boning, the wild mambo, the hunka chunka
For how stingy this game is with item drops, there are just so many completely worthless on-use & passive items and underwhelming guns. It's a real punch in the balls when you run to the shopkeeper, spend your money on a key, run back to the chest, and end up getting poison immunity or some poo poo. There don't seem to be many game-breaking item combos a la BoI, so they might as well make it rain guns so you have a decent chance of getting something you like so you can actually have some fun

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
Listen I'll cop to being a little salty but the dragun's homing skull attack is bullshit, especially when he does it 5 times in a row.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

The_North posted:

Yeah, that's true. The reward for not getting hit in Isaac is to trade max health for items, not to get more max health.

The rewards for that in Isaac are also high-end stuff, but not things you necessarily need, not basic stuff like more health.

Sibilant Crisp
Jul 4, 2014

Yeah, I have to agree, there hasn't been a single run where I thought "Thank god I had that extra heart!" It's weird design to reward not using health with more health.

drink_bleach
Dec 13, 2004

Praise the Sun!
I finally stopped trying to bring poo poo to elevator man, or make it to the bottom with bullet for the past parts or some other insane stuff and now just regular runs trying to beat pasts feels like a breath of fresh air. Completed marine, hunter and pilot today now only convict left to go.

I hate the Pilot so I didn't want to leave him for last so of course his past was a completely different game mode that I took a few hits just getting used to beat it with one hit left.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
Got master rounds 2, 3, and 4 in one run. That's probably the closest I'll ever get to Lead God.

I also found out that you can actually give elevator guy the master round even if you are not up to that turn in yet.

The run in question had Singularity and AU Gun which are both really drat good.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

The_North posted:

It almost feels like they tried to purposely do the opposite of Isaac without thinking what that really meant for difficulty scaling.

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

From what I can see of the community thus far, I'm not counting on any more changes. Seems like most of the people left after the initial volley of interest are shouting "GIT GUD" at the top of their lungs whenever adjusting ammo or keys or health is mentioned. That or "but it has never happened to me! Git gud". Tried to convince some people on the Discord server and got shouted down basically immediately after suggesting more ammo. Tried to tell them that using the starting pistol for half the game isn't fun, but they seem to think hoarding ammo and plinking away with their leet pistol skillz is more fun. That, and they think Issac had more RNG, being overpowered is worse than being underpowered, and that Nuclear Throne doesn't feel "complete". Whatever that means.
Ugh. This game has a lot of potential, but it's caught up in difficulty for its own sake. Keys are an arbitrary and inorganic way to balance, and the health scaling simply makes the pistol plinking feel even worse.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Roluth posted:

From what I can see of the community thus far, I'm not counting on any more changes. Seems like most of the people left after the initial volley of interest are shouting "GIT GUD" at the top of their lungs whenever adjusting ammo or keys or health is mentioned. That or "but it has never happened to me! Git gud". Tried to convince some people on the Discord server and got shouted down basically immediately after suggesting more ammo. Tried to tell them that using the starting pistol for half the game isn't fun, but they seem to think hoarding ammo and plinking away with their leet pistol skillz is more fun. That, and they think Issac had more RNG, being overpowered is worse than being underpowered, and that Nuclear Throne doesn't feel "complete". Whatever that means.
Ugh. This game has a lot of potential, but it's caught up in difficulty for its own sake. Keys are an arbitrary and inorganic way to balance, and the health scaling simply makes the pistol plinking feel even worse.

I really dislike the mentality that having criticism of a game means you just need to play better. Sometimes that can be the case, but things like "It isn't fun to have to barely use my good guns throughout levels unless I want to risk using the starting pistol during boss fights" has nothing to do with skill. I'm not a poor player and I don't mind fighting slowly and safely and conserving ammo, but I bought this game after seeing the trailer which makes it look like after awhile you'll get lots of crazy weapons and be able to use them a lot and run and gun, and while the game has moments like that they are not the norm.

edit: I think for a basis of comparison, though it's a very different game, Crypt of the Necrodancer is great in that your skill largely defines your run. It lets you practice individual sections and even practice specific enemies with specific equipment as you go, and while the game is very difficult you can win without ever getting any items at a reasonable pace, but you have tons of opportunities to get items and improve your odds. If someone was struggling with that game and finding it too hard, I would think they just need to practice more. Enter the Gungeon has a lot of good challenge in it, but beyond floor 1 you really shouldn't be having to use your starting pistol much, especially with the way they advertised the game.

Nep-Nep fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Apr 14, 2016

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

DolphinCop posted:

the devs literally confirmed that every floor's shop will have a key if you haven't found a key by the time you reach that shop

No they didn't. They confirmed that the shop on the first floor will have a key if you haven't found a key by the time you reach the shop on the first floor.

quote:

2: if you have not found a key on floor 1 by the time you reach a shop, there is guaranteed to be a key in the shop. a similar rule works for later floors
use these to min max

edit: Although I suppose that depends on how you interpret "a similar rule". :shrug: They could mean if you have found no keys before that shop, or if you have found no keys before that shop just on that floor. They didn't specify because this game's systems are shrouded in mystery for some reason.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Apr 14, 2016

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Well "a similar rule works for later floors" seems pretty good to me. But how similar is that rule? Is it a guaranteed key if you haven't found one on the floor yet? A guaranteed key if you have 1 or 0?

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

A guaranteed key if you have 1 or 0?

I had 0 keys in a run earlier today and reached my chamber 3 shop with no key spawns on the way. No keys in that shop. I should note I'm on 1.01 because the PS4 version trails the PC version in updates, though so I don't know if they changed it.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
In my experience the other floors work the same way, if you get to the shop before seeing a key drop on that floor then it will have a key to it.

Just better hope that the door isn't locked and that you don't need to buy ammo also.and that the one chest that you do open "is the right one".

E: forgot an important word

Jibo fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Apr 14, 2016

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"
Every time I think I'm having fun playing this game, I come to this thread and remember that I'm not.

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Greetings Earthling! Do you have any Zoom Boots?
Yeah I played a few more runs of this game tonight and the key drop rates are ridiculously low. I too have come across shops that don't have keys on levels I haven't received a key on. The lack of keys and the fact that you need two to unlock Oubliette makes the first floor boss incredibly tedious.

I actually like shooting normal room baddies with the starter pistol but you basically have no options for floor one and sometimes part of floor two if the gun you get from floor one sucks.

I'm not a developer so I may be talking out of my rear end here, but they make this cool loving game about guns and I rarely seem to get to use any of them because I'm so concerned about my key supply. Especially when you use a key to unlock a shop, or you see a grate with some nice stuff behind it but one of those things is a locked chest, so now you need two keys. Ugh.

It really seems like there are way too many arbitrary limitations imposed on the player. This game is really fun when you actually get guns. For me that seems to happen once every five runs and I'm kind of done. Had some fun, made it to the forge once.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
I think this game is good and fun. I agree that resource availability needs another look. I think it's hilarious and a little nuts how bitter a couple of posters seem to be over playing a game they didn't like as much as they hoped they would. I also think gitting gud is a requirement for this game but anyone who uses that as a response to feedback is being a piece of poo poo.

In conclusion, I like this game a lot, but I like this thread only a little bit, because it is only 50% crazy gun roguelike and 50% Binding of Isaac and salt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

Angry Diplomat posted:

I think this game is good and fun. I agree that resource availability needs another look. I think it's hilarious and a little nuts how bitter a couple of posters seem to be over playing a game they didn't like as much as they hoped they would. I also think gitting gud is a requirement for this game but anyone who uses that as a response to feedback is being a piece of poo poo.

In conclusion, I like this game a lot, but I like this thread only a little bit, because it is only 50% crazy gun roguelike and 50% Binding of Isaac and salt.

Sorry if I'm being unreasonable. I'm just really frustrated that the game seems antagonistic towards the player on occasion. I recognize that the current resource conservation angle won't go away, but I want to use my good guns every now and again on things other than bosses. Ammo drops should just be more consistent.