Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

MisterZimbu posted:

I think we need to implement code reviews for the solely so the other developers will spell their class/file names correctly and tab poo poo in consistently.

God drat.

Spelling sure, but why not pump the code through a auto-formatter?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

IAmKale posted:

Do you guys have any good resources for practicing for technical interviews? I'm trying to make a slight career adjustment away from overly broad "do everything IT-related" into a more backend development-oriented line of work, but I've never never had to face interviews more suitable for programming jobs.

I was impressed (but also saddened) by Triplebyte's How to Pass a Programming Interview.

portd
Nov 2, 2015

ratbert90 posted:

Spelling sure, but why not pump the code through a auto-formatter?

Yeah this is the answer.

Fano
Oct 20, 2010

Doc Hawkins posted:

I was impressed (but also saddened) by Triplebyte's How to Pass a Programming Interview.

The bias against enterprise programmers sucks, I love my enterprise programming job and I love the fact that I get to use .NET and C#. It's really too bad that this will look negative on me if I ever decide to apply for a startup, I probably won't, but still.

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?
It's not technology, it's the culture and the pace of development that startups worry about when considering former enterprise people. Show some enthusiasm, show a great project you (supposedly) slapped together in a weekend, and it won't be a problem.

Jo
Jan 24, 2005

:allears:
Soiled Meat

IAmKale posted:

Do you guys have any good resources for practicing for technical interviews? I'm trying to make a slight career adjustment away from overly broad "do everything IT-related" into a more backend development-oriented line of work, but I've never never had to face interviews more suitable for programming jobs.

I've done a few technical interviews, so if you want I'm happy to grill you over a specific position.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

MisterZimbu posted:

I think we need to implement code reviews for the solely so the other developers will spell their class/file names correctly and tab poo poo in consistently.

God drat.

Code can be autoformatted, but gently caress you if you spell your class and file name incorrectly, even after you are told so several times before merging to master.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

I read somewhere, some time again, that sprint points shouldn't be used as a measure of productivity. I also read that they probably shouldn't be used to determine promotions on.

Is that true? Why is it true? I'm trying to build a good case against using them for promotions. I could be wrong though.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Sprint points need to be estimated in good faith, and tying compensation to them introduces an incentive to estimate strategically instead, by e.g. chronic padding. It also means that stories that were underestimated can hurt people unfairly. It's not as bad as lines of code as a proxy for productivity, but it's still not a good one.

If you want to identify the most productive programmers on a team, and you're convinced you can do so using numbers alone, you need to find metrics that are difficult to manipulate by means other than actually being productive. As a corollary, you need to have an actionable definition of "productive."

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Sprint points for promotions, oh my god :suicide:

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

KoRMaK posted:

I read somewhere, some time again, that sprint points shouldn't be used as a measure of productivity. I also read that they probably shouldn't be used to determine promotions on.

Is that true? Why is it true? I'm trying to build a good case against using them for promotions. I could be wrong though.
Incentives for individual productivity instead of team productivity end up penalizing people who go out of their way to help others, and create environments of competition instead of collaboration. Those people who facilitate communication, information flow and cross-training across the team end up moseying on over to another company where they're not perennially taken advantage of by their peers and clueless management.

BigSlacks
Aug 21, 2003
Sprint points are meant to be a tool to help a team estimate its workload and how much it can reasonably get done. If you start to tie any metrics at all whatsoever to them they will no longer serve that purpose and will start to be whatever they are incentivized to be. At my work the director of development decided that every team must meet 80% of its sprint commitments and our reviews are tied to that metric. Before that decision we would commit in good faith and try to figure out what went wrong when we didn't meet our sprint goal. Now, we meet our commitment 100% of the time since it affects our compensation. You get exactly what you incentivize for.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

BigSlacks posted:

Sprint points are meant to be a tool to help a team estimate its workload and how much it can reasonably get done. If you start to tie any metrics at all whatsoever to them they will no longer serve that purpose and will start to be whatever they are incentivized to be. At my work the director of development decided that every team must meet 80% of its sprint commitments and our reviews are tied to that metric. Before that decision we would commit in good faith and try to figure out what went wrong when we didn't meet our sprint goal. Now, we meet our commitment 100% of the time since it affects our compensation. You get exactly what you incentivize for.
Oh my god, are you me? Do we work at the same place?

My manager did the same thing, but since I didn't have good evidence against it before we started he went "meh lets do it anyway." Now, two years later....

I'm trying to get promoted to Lead Developer which is a team lead position, and one of the "areas for improvement" (thing keeping me from that promotion) is that our sprint commitment completion isn't good enough. I should be able to estimate and deliver within 85% of the commitments. In the context of being a team lead, does that change your guys assessment and seem fair? I feel like since it's about the teams effort and I'm going after a leadership position it kind of makes sense, but my gut says that it is an oversimplification of the practical effort and progress that I make and help enable others to make.

Also, in our situation, we loosely take into account the overhead that I already have to do to onboard and coach a new developer and other admin tasks, so the story points per sprint are taking that into consideration in a way. Also, we take into account that the new developer has a lower point throughput. So what this means is that we are determining how many sprint points to queue up on an individual basis and also assigning the stories BEFORE the sprint starts. I still feel like something is hosed up with it though and that it is too much a simplification to hang a promotion/raise on.

tl;dr Is basing a team lead promotion on the teams story point sprint completion rate a fair thing to do?

KoRMaK fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Apr 13, 2016

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

I honestly think using any numerical metric to determine performance is Very Bad and those things should be figured out by TLs/managers who actually are aware of their reports' responsibilities and achievements and can be trusted with making those evaluations intelligently.

But haha why bother when we've got Agile Points and most TLs/managers are not good or capable of using logic or reason or fair judgement and we can say we're being DATA DRIVEN.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

KoRMaK posted:

I'm trying to get promoted to Lead Developer which is a team lead position, and one of the "areas for improvement" (thing keeping me from that promotion) is that our sprint commitment completion isn't good enough. I should be able to estimate and deliver within 85% of the commitments. In the context of being a team lead, does that change your guys assessment and seem fair? I feel like since it's about the teams effort and I'm going after a leadership position it kind of makes sense, but my gut says that it is an oversimplification of the practical effort and progress that I make and help enable others to make.

How dumb are you? Just inflate your team's estimates until you meet your "goals" 100% of the time. Perception is reality.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

baquerd posted:

How dumb are you? Just inflate your team's estimates until you meet your "goals" 100% of the time. Perception is reality.

Not to pile on, but yeah, how have you not already been doing this? Imagine having your performance measured in lines of code you commit every week. Tell me, how long is it going to take before your code looks like this?

code:
var
a
=
1;

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

baquerd posted:

How dumb are you?

Wow, rude.

baquerd posted:

This isn't really the game I want to play is why I haven't already done it.

e:

Skandranon posted:

Not to pile on

It's an honor system sort of thing. I should still be estimating in good faith. Please stop focusing on this. I am already aware of the premise. I'd like to get work to do the right thing first. This has the benefit of making a good environment as we grow and bring more people onto the team.

KoRMaK fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Apr 13, 2016

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

KoRMaK posted:

This isn't really the game I want to play is why I haven't already done it.

Yeah, pretty much no one wants to play that game, but let me be the first to welcome you to reality!

Edit:

KoRMaK posted:

It's an honor system sort of thing. I should still be estimating in good faith. Please stop focusing on this. I am already aware of the premise.

If you decide that your self-perceived honor matters more than promotions or money... congratulations, you win something I guess?

Double-edit:

In fact, think of it as a test to see whether you are politically retarded or if you can manipulate the system in a tiny, inconsequential way to make yourself look good.

baquerd fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Apr 13, 2016

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

KoRMaK posted:

It's an honor system sort of thing. I should still be estimating in good faith. Please stop focusing on this. I am already aware of the premise. I'd like to get work to do the right thing first.

"Digging feels good, so I'm going to keep doing it"

:goonsay:

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

I have hope, dammit!

But also, yes I get it. I'm working on it.

I also have faith in my manager because he has collaborated with me previously to make changes for the better, and we have a good working relationship because of his openness and our rapport. :)

KoRMaK fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Apr 13, 2016

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

KoRMaK posted:

I also have faith in my manager because he has collaborated with me previously to make changes for the better, and we have a good working relationship because of his openness and our rapport. :)

You may want to ask yourself if your manager ended up looking good as a result of those changes, and whether they would look good fighting what is a metric presumably coming from their boss? And, if the metric isn't coming from above them, how good is your working relationship really that they haven't acknowledged your performance yet?

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

baquerd posted:

You may want to ask yourself if your manager ended up looking good as a result of those changes, and whether they would look good fighting what is a metric presumably coming from their boss? And, if the metric isn't coming from above them, how good is your working relationship really that they haven't acknowledged your performance yet?
Good points, I have considered them. That last point is especially good, I'll think about that.

I also have the opportunity to overhaul the metrics and start tracking other stuff. Before I do that though I have to find worth while stuff to track.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

KoRMaK posted:

I have hope, dammit!

But also, yes I get it. I'm working on it.

So tell him "In what way aren't you incentivizing the team to high ball story estimates and low ball their velocity?" You can even keep it in vague "the team" when hopeful you mean "me"

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

KoRMaK posted:

I also have the opportunity to overhaul the metrics and start tracking other stuff. Before I do that though I have to find worth while stuff to track.

If you do happen across objective measures of developer performance that can clearly be measured in a quantitative manner, please let us all know. Personally, at least, I would be overjoyed to find such a thing.

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?
If you aren't making your commitment consistently, there's no need to game the estimates.

Just commit to less.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Gounads posted:

If you aren't making your commitment consistently, there's no need to game the estimates.

Just commit to less.

Which will mean that that "high-risk" item that needs to be done won't ever get done. Who's the fool to commit to it?

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice
Just be Agile guys, geez.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice
Overheard recently: "We do one week sprints because it reduces churn"

Messyass
Dec 23, 2003

Volguus posted:

Which will mean that that "high-risk" item that needs to be done won't ever get done. Who's the fool to commit to it?

You shouldn't commit to a high-risk item. You either (roughly) know how to do it or you don't. If you don't, first plan a spike or something.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
I'm so glad to be at a place that doesn't do Agile. We have our own issues (we don't do Agile or Waterfall, just kind of have projects), but at least we don't have:

- Planning poker
- Micromanagement thinly veiled as estimation meetings
- Daily 30 minute meetings where everyone stares at their shoes in a circle and tries to tune out the 2-3 upbeat "morning" people
- SCRUM consultants
- Arguments over what constitutes an MVP
- Union style "don't work too hard or you'll make our velocity too good" attitudes
- Jargon

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

revmoo posted:

- SCRUM consultants

We have one of these and I cannot comprehend why we want to pay someone vast sums to read wikipedia articles to us.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Infinotize posted:

We have one of these and I cannot comprehend why we want to pay someone vast sums to read wikipedia articles to us.

Seems like we are in the wrong business!

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
The only way I would accept another job at a place that employs a SCRUM consultant is if they're paying me to be a SCRUM consultant.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

revmoo posted:

- Jargon

If you don't have jargon, what do you have? :confused:

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

HardDisk posted:

If you don't have jargon, what do you have? :confused:

Individuals and interactions over processes and tools

:smug:

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

revmoo posted:

Individuals and interactions over processes and tools

:smug:

Sounds... Agile...

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

Infinotize posted:

There are tons of companies doing Scrum wrong or half-assedly. Why pay anyone money when you can read Wikipedia yourself?

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

pigdog posted:

There are tons of companies doing Scrum wrong or half-assedly. Why pay anyone money when you can read Wikipedia yourself?

Because they trust consultants more than their employees. I work for a consulting agency and I see it all the time. About 75% of the time, I tell them to do what someone on the team is already saying they should do, but because it came from the mouth of A CONSULTANT, it's somehow more valid and correct.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Ithaqua posted:

Because they trust consultants more than their employees. I work for a consulting agency and I see it all the time. About 75% of the time, I tell them to do what someone on the team is already saying they should do, but because it came from the mouth of A CONSULTANT, it's somehow more valid and correct.

When the consultant says it, it means the manager who hired the consultant gets credit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?

pigdog posted:

I've seen really great outcomes from scrum coaches. It's less about getting a team to do scrum "right" and more about getting layers of management above them to let them do it right. A lot of times the team doesn't have the leverage to push those changes up but management will listen to the consultant for some reason. This even includes things like changing how projects are budgeted for. The larger the company, the more value you'll get out of them.