Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Question Mark Mound posted:

Ah, that's a shame. I was hoping to save a ton of space by using iPad rather than paper. :(

I'll look into this, thanks!

Yeah, the focus you're going to have to put into managing this well on an iPad is going to be pretty distracting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pipebomb
May 12, 2001

Dear God, what is it like in your funny little brains?
It must be so boring.

Ah, that's a shame. I was hoping to save a ton of space by using iPad rather than paper. :(

I'll look into this, thanks!

I have no idea what any of the things you said mean, but is there 'an app for that', maybe? I searched for dungeons and dragons and there are tons of things there - again, maybe not what you described.
https://appsto.re/us/XmRlK.i

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

pipebomb posted:

I have no idea what any of the things you said mean, but is there 'an app for that', maybe? I searched for dungeons and dragons and there are tons of things there - again, maybe not what you described.
https://appsto.re/us/XmRlK.i
I think that's mostly just for character sheet stuff, thanks though! I'll compare it to some on I found called "d20 Fight Club"

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Re: Case chat: The only reason I have a full case on my Mini 4 is because a smart case style case can be had on Amazon for $8 versus the $40 for the Smart Cover. And when I'm on the couch which is 80% of its usage it's not even in the case.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

I think that's mostly just for character sheet stuff, thanks though! I'll compare it to some on I found called "d20 Fight Club"

There are tons of D&D sheet apps out there.

Or if you'd like, I could even send you a macro'd PDF for 5th Edition that'll work with PDF Expert or similar high-powered reader apps.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I'm looking for a good neoprene zipper sleeve to keep my 12.9" iPad Pro in when I'm not using it. Suggestions?

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Or if you'd like, I could even send you a macro'd PDF for 5th Edition that'll work with PDF Expert or similar high-powered reader apps.
That'd be awesome, thanks!

I was mostly looking for whatever people recommend as the best way for having notes on NPCs and their relationships, plus locations and stuff. Sounds like good old pen and paper is still the way to go for all that.

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus

Electric Bugaloo posted:

I would be interested in this as well actually!

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

tuyop posted:

Yeah, the focus you're going to have to put into managing this well on an iPad is going to be pretty distracting.

Yep I've tried to do this and I ended up focusing so much on making sure the notes were legible and everything was working it just wasn't worth it.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

e.pilot posted:

Yep I've tried to do this and I ended up focusing so much on making sure the notes were legible and everything was working it just wasn't worth it.

I think the only acceptable digital version would be like four Evernote notes open across two large monitors, so you could tab between them and type quickly. I guess it could be manageable with an iPad and a laptop running like, reflector or something?

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

I started a d&d campaign today actually and even though I have my ipad ready with all of my books on it, it really doesn't make things much simpler. Pen and paper is still the best if only because flipping through a book or a stack of papers is significantly faster than sorting through apps or swiping through pdfs. Also the strongest program I found for that kind of stuff (fantasy grounds) is unfortunately just PC and iOS. But it is a great program.

Also speaking of reading pdfs, can someone suggest a good pdf reader? I've been using the native Google Drive reader and Adobe acrobat but they're both fairly bad.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Verisimilidude posted:

I started a d&d campaign today actually and even though I have my ipad ready with all of my books on it, it really doesn't make things much simpler. Pen and paper is still the best if only because flipping through a book or a stack of papers is significantly faster than sorting through apps or swiping through pdfs. Also the strongest program I found for that kind of stuff (fantasy grounds) is unfortunately just PC and iOS. But it is a great program.

Also speaking of reading pdfs, can someone suggest a good pdf reader? I've been using the native Google Drive reader and Adobe acrobat but they're both fairly bad.

Goodreader and pdf expert are king. I use goodreader.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

That'd be awesome, thanks!

cryptoclastic posted:

I would be interested in this as well actually!

Aight, PM me your email addresses.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Apr 11, 2016

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Wonder if they sell the pencil nibs separately, because I can see people losing them awful fast

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
QMM, apropos of your initial D&D question: I would try using OneNote before Scrivener.

OneNote has officially eaten Evernote's lunch in the 'dedicated organization and notes platform' field and it's free, cloud-connected, great on desktop, and probably better suited for what you need than Scrivener, which is more of a dedicated long-form writing platform for people writing novels/dissertations/long articles/books/kindle smut.

Also/alternatively, most good note-taking and PDF apps come with some degree of paper scanning and text-recognition features, and ScannerPro is always getting discounts and promotions.

I use ScannerPro myself for work and school to digitize notes, diagrams, forms, and receipts all the time. You could always write your stuff out on paper and make a digital backup or reference that way.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Calaveron posted:

Wonder if they sell the pencil nibs separately, because I can see people losing them awful fast

They do. $19 for four.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

They do. $19 for four.

Yeowch. For some reason my nib is turning pink and I hope this isn't a thing that'll affect performance because I'm having a blast learning how to paint on procreate with it

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Calaveron posted:

Yeowch. For some reason my nib is turning pink and I hope this isn't a thing that'll affect performance because I'm having a blast learning how to paint on procreate with it

The iPad Thread: My nib is turning pink

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

People with the 10-inch pro: does the wide gamut actually make a noticeable difference day to day?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
And I would've appreciated a black pencil option too. Maybe for pencil pro air

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
Does anyone have recommendations for an iPad mini stand that swivels on its base and allows the screen to sit perpendicular to the surface? I'm thinking of this in the context of a telepresence stand -- sit at the end of a conference table and easy to rotate back and forth. Most of the stands I've seen are angled back.

I Am Crake
Mar 31, 2010

There is so much beautiful in the world if you look around. You are only looking at the dirt under your feet, Jimmy. It's not good for you.

Kobayashi posted:

Does anyone have recommendations for an iPad mini stand that swivels on its base and allows the screen to sit perpendicular to the surface? I'm thinking of this in the context of a telepresence stand -- sit at the end of a conference table and easy to rotate back and forth. Most of the stands I've seen are angled back.

I ordered a Mistand+ which looks like the perfect stand, but they sure are taking their sweet time getting them shipped.

pipebomb
May 12, 2001

Dear God, what is it like in your funny little brains?
It must be so boring.
For all you beautiful babies in this thread, my iPad Pro bundle is now 850. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3771194

[edit] sold to endlessmike

pipebomb fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Apr 14, 2016

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

pipebomb posted:

For all you beautiful babies in this thread, my iPad Pro bundle is now 850. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3771194

Posted in the thread.

HarryPurvis
Sep 20, 2006
That reminds me of a story...
Picked up a 12.9 iPad Pro off that ebay deal last week and picked up a Pencil for it last night.

So far really liking the pencil more than the tablet itself. One thing I wish it had was a button on the pencil to act as a home button. That would make moving through apps with the Pencil so much more efficient.

Another thing that has jumped out to is support for 12.9 Pro accessories are far more limited compared to the rest of the iPad lineup. Would it really be so hard to create a bluetooth or smart connector keyboard with a kickstand that supports multiple viewing positions and has a magnetic hinge so I can snap the iPad on and off easily?

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
If anyone is still looking for the 9.7 keyboard I was able to order one from target and got it in 3 days.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

Not a double-post, sorry!

Every time I plug my Pro in to my Mac to sync, I get an iTunes error that says it can't be synced because it is no longer authorized for apps that are installed on the iPad. How do I tell what app is causing this problem?

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rubiks Pubes posted:

If anyone is still looking for the 9.7 keyboard I was able to order one from target and got it in 3 days.

I ordered one from Best Buy on Tuesday and it's supposed to come tomorrow. Dunno why retailers are keeping them in their warehouses instead of shipping them to stores but it worked out for me so...

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Rubiks Pubes posted:

Not a double-post, sorry!

Every time I plug my Pro in to my Mac to sync, I get an iTunes error that says it can't be synced because it is no longer authorized for apps that are installed on the iPad. How do I tell what app is causing this problem?

Have you authorized iTunes for every Apple ID with purchases on the iPad from the store drop down in the menu bar?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

HarryPurvis posted:

Another thing that has jumped out to is support for 12.9 Pro accessories are far more limited compared to the rest of the iPad lineup. Would it really be so hard to create a bluetooth or smart connector keyboard with a kickstand that supports multiple viewing positions and has a magnetic hinge so I can snap the iPad on and off easily?

The 12.9" form factor was just introduced this past fall with the Pro while 9.7" has been more-or-less the standard screen size from Day One. On top of that, the Air 2 has been out for over two years at this point and is also compatible with *some* Air 1 peripherals- which is also a good time to point out all of the iPad/2/3/4/Air owners who still want cases and poo poo. The Air 2's also substantially less expensive (and more of a mass-market device) than the Pro when new. Also iPads as a segment haven't been selling as aggressively as they used to and case manufacturers are probably less fired up to flood the market with lots of affordable designs- especially not for a bigger, more expensive device that's already being marketed as the "niche" member of the family.

HarryPurvis
Sep 20, 2006
That reminds me of a story...

Electric Bugaloo posted:

The 12.9" form factor was just introduced this past fall with the Pro while 9.7" has been more-or-less the standard screen size from Day One. On top of that, the Air 2 has been out for over two years at this point and is also compatible with *some* Air 1 peripherals- which is also a good time to point out all of the iPad/2/3/4/Air owners who still want cases and poo poo. The Air 2's also substantially less expensive (and more of a mass-market device) than the Pro when new. Also iPads as a segment haven't been selling as aggressively as they used to and case manufacturers are probably less fired up to flood the market with lots of affordable designs- especially not for a bigger, more expensive device that's already being marketed as the "niche" member of the family.

Good point. Also this may explain why many of the peripherals coming out are more expensive than the rest of the lineups counterparts. In order to make up the smaller volume manufacturers have to increase the price. Further, since this iPad is already more expensive than the rest it stands to reason the people buying it have more to spend on peripherals.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

GoatSeeGuy posted:

Have you authorized iTunes for every Apple ID with purchases on the iPad from the store drop down in the menu bar?

It looks like it was an audio book that I personally ripped from the cd's that did it. Nothing I'm going to listen to anyway, but not sure why it caused that?

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Just received the 9.7" Smart Keyboard. Kicks rear end, it's easier to type and is more accurate than the Belkin Qode Ulitmate Pro that I was using as a band-aid. Totally stable on the lap (though the tablet does shake a little when I type).

Menstrual Show
Jun 3, 2004

Any recommendations for a sleeve that will fit the 12.9" Pro, Smart Keyboard and Pencil? Preferably leather or something else that is fairly business professional.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

I too am looking for a recommendation for a sleeve or case for the 12" iPad Pro. I'm going to be taking it out to construction sites for drawing markups on PDFs and so am hoping to get a case that could give me access to the screen while including a shoulder strap on it and some protection.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
The smart keyboard on the small pro is pretty comfy and reviews that say that it's awkward are super wrong.
I just wish it came in more colors than charcoal gray, though. Clashes with my red case.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Calaveron posted:

Is there an app that teaches you how to art with a pencil
Nintendo should just port over their Art Academy games as free apps with IAPs for lesson packs.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah someone needs to make something. I'd like to try something out.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Call of Cholula posted:

Any recommendations for a sleeve that will fit the 12.9" Pro, Smart Keyboard and Pencil? Preferably leather or something else that is fairly business professional.

It looks like it should accommodate both the Pencil and the Smart Keyboard. Like the way this one looks, personally.

http://www.senacases.com/burnished-sleeve-ipad-pro

Here's the other one they make that specifically has a loop for the Pencil, and a pocket for the cable and Pencil accessories. The promo pics also show the iPad with the Smart Keyboard.

http://www.senacases.com/sleeve-ipad-pro

I've been a big fan of Sena after a goon linked the iPad Pro case in this thread.I love their Versa which is a really slim leather folio case with a Pencil loop stitched in.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Apr 17, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
13 inch Pro 32GB on sale for a mere $640:

http://deals.ebay.com/5002870328_Ap...9999&rmvSB=true

such a better deal than the 10 inch Pro.