Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Iron_Chef
Sep 19, 2003
Chef of Iron

Metapod posted:

Random thought that came into my head: if a player were to have his helmet knocked off then somehow the ball end up in the helmet would the ball be dead?

IANAREoA (I am not a rules expert or American) but I thought a play ended as soon as any helmet came off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Iron_Chef posted:

IANAREoA (I am not a rules expert or American) but I thought a play ended as soon as any helmet came off

Nope. In college it is a penalty to keep playing if your helmet is removed. Also, if your helmet comes off you have to sit out at least one play, unless a penalty is called (like if a guy gets facemasked).

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007
sobriety is for the weak and the stupid

Iron_Chef posted:

My understanding is that it ends for that player, but not the play in general. Like the other 21 players continue to do their thing but the one guy without a helmet can't participate.

To answer the original question(I'm no longer a ref so I'm probably wrong) I would hope the ref would blow if dead and give the team with the ball option of replaying the down or taking the ball where it was blown dead.

Basically it's such a crazy out there bullshit what if situation that I feel like the refs are justified in saying "gently caress this poo poo weren't gonna pretend it never happened".

drunk leprechaun fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Mar 24, 2016

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Also one of my all time favorite plays was Earl Everett's helmetless sack of Troy Smith in the 2006 NCG:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1Rc49B1FwU

I have that entire game burned in my mind and its my "happy place".

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Metapod posted:

Random thought that came into my head: if a player were to have his helmet knocked off then somehow the ball end up in the helmet would the ball be dead?

The player might be.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

There is no rule to cover the situation. I would strongly consider killing it and doing whatever seemed fair in the circumstances.

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

If a receivers helmet falls off and the quarterback can throw the ball into the helmet without it touching the ground you trigger the multiball bonus mode

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Metapod posted:

Doesn't losing a helmet call the play dead anyways?

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

The ball is dead if the ball-carrier's helmet comes off, but not if any other player's helmet comes off.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Trin Tragula posted:

There is no rule to cover the situation. I would strongly consider killing it and doing whatever seemed fair in the circumstances.

Interesting

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Trin Tragula posted:

The ball is dead if the ball-carrier's helmet comes off, but not if any other player's helmet comes off.

Yeah, cf. JJ Watt sacking people without his helmet on like a PCP smoking maniac

El Seano
Dec 30, 2008
So this is my first off-season since I started following the Giants/NFL and Jesus god I thought the NBA off-season was long. I must have read 20 different mock drafts, none of which seem to have the same player twice. It's to the point I wish the loving draft would just happen already and even then we've got another 3 months of waiting. A few questions:

1. Is there anything to look forward to in the gap between draft and pre-season?

2. Could anyone with some knowledge of the Giants tell me how they don't take a wide receiver at no.10? As it stands they have a receivers corp of Beckham and...I literally couldn't tell you another receiver but I doubt they played many meaningful snaps last season. I'm always somewhat dumbfounded that we get mocked tackles or even an RB in some mock drafts when we cannot feasibly need those players more than we would need a receiver now? If I'm being naive here I'd like to know cause I just don't get the logic.

3. Is this a particularly strong or weak draft as drafts go?

4. In terms of drafts should I give too much of a gently caress once they get past the 4th round? I mean I'm yet to see a mock draft that goes past the 4th which I'm taking as a sign nobody really cares.

5. It seems a pretty tough thing to watch also. The NBA draft is done in a night (well the meaningful part in a few hours) but the NFL draft goes on for three days? Do you guys watch the whole thing or just watch who your team selects?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

El Seano posted:

So this is my first off-season since I started following the Giants/NFL and Jesus god I thought the NBA off-season was long. I must have read 20 different mock drafts, none of which seem to have the same player twice. It's to the point I wish the loving draft would just happen already and even then we've got another 3 months of waiting. A few questions:

1. Is there anything to look forward to in the gap between draft and pre-season?
No.

quote:

4. In terms of drafts should I give too much of a gently caress once they get past the 4th round? I mean I'm yet to see a mock draft that goes past the 4th which I'm taking as a sign nobody really cares.
4th and 5th round guys often make contributions as backups and if you're lucky can develop beyond that. 6th and especially 7th rounders might not even make the team.

quote:

5. It seems a pretty tough thing to watch also. The NBA draft is done in a night (well the meaningful part in a few hours) but the NFL draft goes on for three days? Do you guys watch the whole thing or just watch who your team selects?
Everyone watches the first round. Football nerds watch day 2 (although there are better options on a Friday night). Only serious junkies watch day 3. I might put it on as background noise because I'm a huge college fan and I like seeing where guys I watched end up.

It used to be the first three rounds on Saturday and last four on Sunday, but the league got greedy.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

El Seano posted:

All the good players on your team getting injured in practice

quote:

2. Could anyone with some knowledge of the Giants tell me how they don't take a wide receiver at no.10?

Having one god-tier receiver is already way better than most teams. It'd be a bit of a surprise to invest another first round pick on the position, but quite likely they'll pick up at least one receiver in later rounds.

quote:

There aren't any consensus slam dunk amazing players afaik (admittedly I've not paid that much attention to the scouting/press) but it's not "bad"

quote:

Not really, although good players can crop up anywhere. Outside of my teams players I give basically no fucks though.

quote:

I'll probably have the first round on in the background to follow what happens, but yeah it's boring as heck and the pundits are insufferable. In recent years, I check selections by waiting for the team to tweet about them after the pick is made.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

El Seano posted:

2. Could anyone with some knowledge of the Giants tell me how they don't take a wide receiver at no.10? As it stands they have a receivers corp of Beckham and...I literally couldn't tell you another receiver but I doubt they played many meaningful snaps last season. I'm always somewhat dumbfounded that we get mocked tackles or even an RB in some mock drafts when we cannot feasibly need those players more than we would need a receiver now? If I'm being naive here I'd like to know cause I just don't get the logic.

1. No. Enjoy the NBA and NHL playoffs and then subject yourself to baseball.

2. The Giants offense was not the problem last year.

3. Strong for defensive linemen

4. Anything past the 5th round is usually camp fodder, but every team has a few (maybe more) late round picks or UDFAs that become awesome.

5. The draft owns. Watch all of it.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

The Giants, for the most part, take the Best Player Available. Though last year they seemed to draft for need.

BPA gets criticized a lot. You'll hear stuff like, "They didn't address their [whatever weak position group]." But it is the right way to build a team, provided that you correctly identify the BPA. Anyhoozle, BPA makes it harder to predict what a team will do, since it's dependent on what everyone else has already done.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

El Seano posted:

How much do you like football? How much do you like really bad football? In Europe we play really bad football through the summer. Some of it will be on TV in Europe, some of it will be officially livestreamed. There's also the CFL, which starts in June because Canadian weather, which is hilarious and wonderful in the original sense of the word.

edit: American Football International often has news about upcoming livestreams.

Trin Tragula fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Apr 7, 2016

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Trin Tragula posted:

How much do you like football? How much do you like really bad football? In Europe we play really bad football through the summer. Some of it will be on TV in Europe, some of it will be officially livestreamed. There's also the CFL, which starts in June because Canadian weather, which is hilarious and wonderful in the original sense of the word.

edit: American Football International often has news about upcoming livestreams.

This way lies madness.

I'm convinced any British team could be blown out by a Division 1 high school team.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Funny you should mention that, but we do have some data points here. Back in 2007 the Colchester Gladiators played a team of about 18 high school mates who'd just graduated and were touring Europe over the summer, and lost about 28-7. Centre College Kentucky also used to send a team over to play the GB national team once every few years (mostly for the extra kitted practices the NCAA would grant them): the last time they did it was 2010, and they only won 10-9 on a blown coverage, a holding flag, and a botched extra point (the Holy Trinity of Britball).

Trin Tragula fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Apr 7, 2016

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

EvilElmo posted:

Who should I go for? In the AFL (Australian sport) I go for Collingwood Magpies. A previously working class (now rich) area that everyone loves to hate, long history in the compeition and won a fair amount of premiership's. Is there an equivalent team?

Mostly enjoy the love to hate aspect. Lots of big games/grudge matches as a result.

Way back, but does any NFL team have the reputation as having the most racist fans? The Raiders are similar to Collingwood in that their fans have a reputation for being criminals, but the key difference is that Raiders fans have a reputation for being minorities whereas Collingwood fans have a reputation for calling minorities apes.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Volkerball posted:

Way back, but does any NFL team have the reputation as having the most racist fans? The Raiders are similar to Collingwood in that their fans have a reputation for being criminals, but the key difference is that Raiders fans have a reputation for being minorities whereas Collingwood fans have a reputation for calling minorities apes.

The obvious answer is Washington, because as far as I know, no other NFL teams use a slur as their team name.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

The obvious answer is Washington, because as far as I know, no other NFL teams use a slur as their team name.

Ah yes, that would fit.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Also Pittsburgh, Philly, Green Bay. Really most of America is racist so it's easy to find terrible people in every fanbase

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
And yet racism at American sports events is far less prevalent. You could say it...pales in comparison??

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Henchman of Santa posted:

Also Pittsburgh, Philly, Green Bay. Really most of America is racist so it's easy to find terrible people in every fanbase

You don't know Collingwood. After an Aboriginal player complained to the media that a Collingwood player called him a black bastard after a tackle, Collingwood came out to this banner. The pacifier is in the color of the Aboriginal players team.

it's a proud tradition

this however, is very raiders

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.
The best way to follow the draft is don't watch a single second of it unless your team is a Top 5 pick, because all the coverage is insufferable. Get the results at the end of the weekend and then read draft coverage from smart, reputable sources, by which I mean not any network.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Badfinger posted:

The best way to follow the draft is don't watch a single second of it unless your team is a Top 5 pick, because all the coverage is insufferable. Get the results at the end of the weekend and then read draft coverage from smart, reputable sources, by which I mean not any network.

This is wisdom. Ignore anything and everything related to sports that isn't actual games. Talking heads of any kind will rot your brain and make you enjoy sports less.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Just listen to Lebatard who describes the draft as "hope trafficking" and reserve any judgements for 3 years when you actually know what you have.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.
Adjunct to that, if you only really care about the picks for one team or a couple, every team has an amazing blog and sometimes beat writer community that will cover every aspect you could possibly ask for. You'll often get team-focused writers that will keep track of that division's moves as well so you get an informed sense of how your closest rivals impact the team as well.

I'd rather scrape through a dozen teamname.blogspot.com websites to find meaningful stuff than go to ESPN or even local affiliates for any sort of analysis.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I like to watch nfl network draft coverage bc mayock and d.jerimiah are cool and good

Avoid ESPN though it's an abortion

El Seano
Dec 30, 2008
1. So the Giants having ODB is literally as good as most teams receiver corps? I just feel like surely if we don't draft another reputable receiver they can just double ODB on every play and he'll sink like gently caress in his third year? I get that he's supposed to be great but I literally have no frame of reference and plus if any team puts two on him and the other receiver can't catch a ball then the offence will just crash, right? It may say something here that I really thought the Giants cure for no.2 receiver was Sanu and was actually pretty bummed when he signed elsewhere.

2. Let's talk reputable sources. As it stands I read a lot of Big Blue View which is their SBNation blog and the rest I glean from SBNation's newsletter and NFL Yahoo! I used to rely on WalterFootball but the more I read of it the more I think they're just writing whatever gets hits, however in depth it may be.

3. Following the NBA for ten years has taught me never trust ESPN unless you really like LeBron.

4. Unrelated but I wanted to ask, do they have home and away stands for fans like they do here for "soccer" in football? I always see shots of the stands with some dude in a Giants jersey celebrating in a crowd of opposing fans. If you tried that here you'd get punched at least and I mean at very least. If I can only get a ticket in the away stand I'm not wearing team colors and I'm being quiet as gently caress.

5. BPA vs Need. As I see it as a novice, Need outweighs BPA everytime unless you're picking top 5. I mean people keep saying that Ramsey is supposed to be the second coming of whoever but if you're loaded at that position why take him? I mean if the Giants were picking 2nd I'd say you take Myles Jack rather than Ramsey. But then apparently another argument is thats two picks too high for Myles Jack. This poo poo is confusing.

El Seano fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Apr 7, 2016

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

El Seano posted:

4. Unrelated but I wanted to ask, do they have home and away stands for fans like they do here for "soccer" in football? I always see shots of the stands with some dude in a Giants jersey celebrating in a crowd of opposing fans. If you tried that here you'd get punched at least and I mean at very least. If I can only get a ticket in the away stand I'm not wearing team colors and I'm being quiet as gently caress.

Yes and no. Generally fans of the away team will want seats behind the away teams sideline, and fans of the home team will want seats behind the home teams sideline. Just so you can see the players on the team you're a fan of. But tickets are expensive, and if you can get better seats for the same price, or save some money, by getting seats somewhere else, people will do it. So it ends up with everyone being all mixed up. It generally goes down without incident.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

El Seano posted:

1. So the Giants having ODB is literally as good as most teams receiver corps? I just feel like surely if we don't draft another reputable receiver they can just double ODB on every play and he'll sink like gently caress in his third year? I get that he's supposed to be great but I literally have no frame of reference and plus surely if any team puts two on him and the other receiver can't catch a ball then surely the offence will just crash. It may say something here that I really thought the Giants cure for no.2 receiver was Sanu and was actually pretty bummed when he signed elsewhere.

2. Let's talk reputable sources. As it stands I read a lot of Big Blue View which is their SBNation blog and the rest I glean from SBNation's newsletter and NFL Yahoo! I used to rely on WalterFootball but the more I read of it the more I think they're just writing whatever gets hits, however in depth it may be.

3. Following the NBA for ten years has taught me never trust ESPN unless you really like LeBron.

1) Doubling players is a huge annoyance to defensive schemes, and even mediocre NFL WR can still hurt you. But yeah it's a team sport so if nobody else is dangerous it will hurt him... there is the other side of the coin where you force him the ball constantly because what else are you going to do, so even in a bad year ODB could have a decent year statistically, playing from behind all the time etc.
2&3 no informative opinion
4) They don't. Generally 95% of football fans don't attack each other that often or take it THAT seriously, and soccer is scarier in that regard. There is often a "super homer" section were it might be a little riskier especially in some stadiums but those are season ticket holders / you're not ending up there.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

El Seano posted:

5. BPA vs Need. As I see it as a novice, Need outweighs BPA everytime unless you're picking top 5. I mean people keep saying that Ramsey is supposed to be the second coming of whoever but if you're loaded at that position why take him? I mean if the Giants were picking 2nd I'd say you take Myles Jack rather than Ramsey. But then apparently another argument is thats two picks too high for Myles Jack. This poo poo is confusing.
There's no real hard and fast rule on this one. You basically try to fill needs, get the best players, consider the alternatives/lack of alternatives, wait on people you think you can get away with waiting on because no other team thinks they're as great as you do, etc. You really should never trade up unless it's for a potential franchise QB, though... a lot of teams do anyway.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

El Seano posted:

Other teams will get the talent you're passing on. And then you'll be worse off relative to where you were.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

Yet seem to have an overwhelmingly African-American fanbase.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Sash! posted:

Yet seem to have an overwhelmingly African-American fanbase.

Might have something to do with the fact they're based in Washington DC.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Ross Angeles posted:

subject yourself to baseball.

How are those communist party meetings going mr unamerican?

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Ron Jeremy posted:

How are those communist party meetings going mr unamerican?

When patriots defend this country despite knowing it is imperfect, they are referring to baseball

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

3 DONG HORSE posted:

When patriots defend this country despite knowing it is imperfect, they are referring to baseball

Checks out.

• Locked thread