Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Szcwczuk
Dec 20, 2011

I ruin everything
Nothing about hackers though just nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.
I guess it's a good thing I can run the Police Academy glitch until the next client update, which will probably be a week at least. All that HE mats grind, sigh.

Zak2k12
Dec 23, 2008

"I looked back once to the empty place where my dream had come true. Such is the stuff."

Capn Beeb posted:

What's this one?

Some people are reporting that the recon pulse doesn't show crates in the DZ anymore.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Naturally Selected posted:

So they really balanced the gently caress out of crafting.

HE Weapon craft reqs: 6 Weapon parts, 4 Tools.
HE Weapon Mod craft reqs: 6 tools, 8 weapon parts. :psyduck:

Making a scope literally takes more mats than making a loving rifle.

Hi End weapon attachements also need 4 golden div techs.
This is the game for the one percent.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Zak2k12 posted:

Some people are reporting that the recon pulse doesn't show crates in the DZ anymore.
I've found that it isn't reliable at showing crates anywhere in the game, and it's been like that since before the patch.

Sometimes it works, often it doesn't.

mcbexx posted:

I still don't understand why RNG guns can't also have RNG attachments on them. Why is it that every gun we get as a drop has nothing attached to it (aside from marksman rifles with a lovely gray 12x)

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

I am very disappointed!

edgar_
Sep 4, 2003

kampen mot gud og hvite krist er i gang
Grimey Drawer
I'm amazed they managed to make this game *worse* with this patch.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Szcwczuk posted:

This will be patched tonight.

They better not patch this poo poo before I get home from work :bahgawd:

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747

mcbexx posted:

And there's still no new AR blueprints for sale. Pretty much:

edgar_ posted:

I'm amazed they managed to make this game *worse* with this patch.

Not so much amazed, I would say amused.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Anime_Otaku posted:

http://youtu.be/4jKsj345Jjw

A YouTube channel I like did a video on why The Division's premise is kind of scary and not in the "OMG! We're all gonna die of plague" way, I found it fairly interesting as a non American.

The video is misinformed or perhaps is misinforming. The game goes to show the criminals we kill are burning people alive, killing civilians and hanging the bodies, raping womens, stealing food, stealing medicines, killing cops, killing doctors, stoping electricity, stopping water. One of the videos we collect in the game show a couple of cops finding the rickers, they are executed. On one of the rooms of Lex, we find the cops has ben tortured to dead, some of them shot directly, other cut in parts. Is not subtel, and I wonder how dumber you have to be to ignore it, or how malicious and manipulative to lie others about it.

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Note to self: This one's the shitty one
Or they played ten minutes of the game, saw that one enemy's uniform was a hoodie, and flipped out.

At least, every review I've seen of The Division's "problematic" content didn't seem to get past that point.

the panacea
May 10, 2008

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:
I wonder what the gently caress is the problem with shooter online RPGs. Every single one of them turned out poo poo.

Tabula Rasa
Hellgate London
Defiance
Division

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!
I feel like I'm just stating the obvious, but you really have to be willfully dense to see any redeeming qualities in the Rikers. They're the guys and gals who are entirely content to blow up a power plant, leaving everyone to more or less die from exposure, while playing "pin the fire ax on the JTF captive." There's really no way to make the people who literally murder for sport seem sympathetic in any capacity. It's not like the JTF seems particularly authoritarian, anyway. From what we're shown, it's mostly just people trying to, you know, not die.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Tei posted:

The video is misinformed or perhaps is misinforming. The game goes to show the criminals we kill are burning people alive, killing civilians and hanging the bodies, raping womens, stealing food, stealing medicines, killing cops, killing doctors, stoping electricity, stopping water. One of the videos we collect in the game show a couple of cops finding the rickers, they are executed. On one of the rooms of Lex, we find the cops has ben tortured to dead, some of them shot directly, other cut in parts. Is not subtel, and I wonder how dumber you have to be to ignore it, or how malicious and manipulative to lie others about it.

As silly as this is (debating about the "motivations" of NPCs in a video game) you're missing the point. Then again, so did the creators of the game, because they're the ones who made these NPCs act in the ridiculous stereotypical "barbaric evil" way they are.

It shouldn't be lost on folks that Rikers is a jail notorious for the abuse and neglect of prisoners by the very folks who run the prison (people have literally died in Rikers waiting to get a trial for ridiculous petty crimes), or that the NYPD has a long, "proud" history of racist, thuggish behavior. So giving Larae dialog that essentially invokes the Black Lives Matter movement and putting her at the head of this group that is raping and pillaging its way through NYC is... honestly, kind of offensive.

Also, these comments about "well the people who mention this kind of stuff clearly haven't played up through where the LMB appears" are a bit silly. The LMB being in the game as the real bad guys doesn't excuse the other stuff, even if it's the only group that actually makes any sort of logical sense. The other factions are just ridiculous.

Kenshin fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Apr 13, 2016

Sivlan
Aug 29, 2006
The sequel to this game should be Tom Clancy's: State's Witness.

It will be an Ace Attorney like game where you play a federal prosecutor heading the case against The Division agent you played. For each achievement you got in The Division you get a piece of damning evidence (the screenshot) to use in your prosecution.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!

Kenshin posted:

It shouldn't be lost on folks that Rikers is a jail notorious for the abuse and neglect of prisoners by the very folks who run the prison (people have literally died in Rikers waiting to get a trial for ridiculous petty crimes), or that the NYPD has a long, "proud" history of racist, thuggish behavior. So giving Larae dialog that essentially invokes the Black Lives Matter movement and putting her at the head of this group that is raping and pillaging its way through NYC is... honestly, kind of offensive.

This is all fine and good, but it's not reflected in the game in any capacity. So if you want to see things that way, you have to read it in yourself. As you point out, though, "debating" about this is largely a waste of time: it's a game about shooting bad mans. It's not about exploring how people are psychologically motivated. It's also probably not terribly reasonable to expect the average person to be remotely familiar with US prison practices, much less the specific practices of a New York prison. People just don't care, and even if they did, this almost certainly isn't the medium in which to make it an issue.

And yeah, Larae's dialogue is just absurd. Every time I hear it, it's like, "Yeah, I see where you could be going with this..." *glances at pile of mutilated bodies* "You know what? Scratch that."

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

LuciferMorningstar posted:

This is all fine and good, but it's not reflected in the game in any capacity. So if you want to see things that way, you have to read it in yourself. As you point out, though, "debating" about this is largely a waste of time: it's a game about shooting bad mans. It's not about exploring how people are psychologically motivated. It's also probably not terribly reasonable to expect the average person to be remotely familiar with US prison practices, much less the specific practices of a New York prison. People just don't care, and even if they did, this almost certainly isn't the medium in which to make it an issue.

And yeah, Larae's dialogue is just absurd. Every time I hear it, it's like, "Yeah, I see where you could be going with this..." *glances at pile of mutilated bodies* "You know what? Scratch that."
True.

I say all this while still enjoying running around and shooting mans without giving a poo poo who they are, because it's just a video game.

Sivlan
Aug 29, 2006

the panacea posted:

I wonder what the gently caress is the problem with shooter online RPGs. Every single one of them turned out poo poo.

Tabula Rasa
Hellgate London
Defiance
Division

Shooters: Fast movement, fast gun play, quick rewards tailored at short, fun play sessions. Tends to ignore storyline (debatable)
RPGs: Slower movement, strategic play, longer progression to reward extended planning and play. Tends to focus on story and narrative more than other genres.
Online: Full of terrible internet people.

There's a lot of contradictions in blending the two genres so there's a lot going against it. Online just makes everything harder.

WirelessPillow
Jan 12, 2012

Look Ma, no wires!
They could fix a lot of those percieved issues of killing everyone who disagrees by having a friendly faction that occasionally trades/works with you but has a different method to the same agenda.

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

Tei posted:

I feel like I'm just stating the obvious, but you really have to be willfully dense to see any redeeming qualities in the Rikers. They're the guys and gals who are entirely content to blow up a power plant, leaving everyone to more or less die from exposure, while playing "pin the fire ax on the JTF captive." There's really no way to make the people who literally murder for sport seem sympathetic in any capacity. It's not like the JTF seems particularly authoritarian, anyway. From what we're shown, it's mostly just people trying to, you know, not die.

But that's no justification though. That's like saying the Birth of a Nation is not a problematic film because it showed the blacks as violent rapists and lazy drunkards who prevent the whites from voting and rigged an election. See, now the actions of the Klan is totally justified!

As far as the LMB goes, so what, PMC's have pretty much been evil in games for the last decade. That might be a problem for all the honest, kind and hard working military contractors out there, but just because they mention one issue, doesn't mean they have to mention every issue.

It's funny though, because Massive is based in Malmö, which has a whole lot of racial problems of its own - Rosengård, which has often been referred to as a no-go area for police and emergency services; rising anti-Semitism and the flight of the city's Jewish population; possibly dozens of young men traveling to Syria to fight for ISIS; the city government completely ignoring the problem and claims that there's no issue of radicalisation; stop-and-frisks without cause by the police targeting certain minorities; and the police maintaining a massive registry of Romani people, including toddlers and young children, where the overwhelming majority of people on it are not convicted or suspected of a crimes, and who are only on it because they have some distant third or fourth cousin or something who is a criminal, "'cause, like, Gypsy crimes often have family character or something"; it's also home to hundreds of couples in which one person is Danish and the other from a non-EU country, and they can't live in Denmark because of the country's notoriously strict spousal visa rules.

I mean Malmö is still a beautiful city with a vibrant culture scene and great food that I wouldn't mind moving to should professional or personal circumstances dictate, but the developers have to the whitest motherfuckers around if they are not aware of the issues of race, considering they work and live in a city that exemplifies those perhaps more than any other city in Sweden.

I do wonder though how much Ubisoft has had a hand in that though. Barrett pretty much says something like "go on kill me, it's just one more black body on the pile" at the end of Lex. So maybe there's was more commentary on race, but it was cut because, let's not make our overwhelmingly white customer base uncomfortable.

Shanghaied fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Apr 13, 2016

Sibilant Crisp
Jul 4, 2014

Anime_Otaku posted:

http://youtu.be/4jKsj345Jjw

A YouTube channel I like did a video on why The Division's premise is kind of scary and not in the "OMG! We're all gonna die of plague" way, I found it fairly interesting as a non American.

I like how he tries to deflect the most obvious critique of his pointless spiel, which is "It's just a videogame.", with "ur not allowed to say that!"

Also how do you like that guy? If he makes better points in other videos is besides the point, that pitched voice thing he's doing is just awful.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

Kenshin posted:

but yeah I basically accept that this is a game in which I murder poor desperate people repeatedly because the property of NYC is more important than human lives

Don't get me wrong, the whole sleeper agent secret police thing used domestically is pretty hosed up. But if you really think the game is about murdering poor, desperate people then here's an experiment. Play for a while role-playing by announcing your presence as a federal agent and your authorization to use deadly force, and then only shoot at people who shoot at you first.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

FrenzyTheKillbot posted:

Don't get me wrong, the whole sleeper agent secret police thing used domestically is pretty hosed up. But if you really think the game is about murdering poor, desperate people then here's an experiment. Play for a while role-playing by announcing your presence as a federal agent and your authorization to use deadly force, and then only shoot at people who shoot at you first.
Again, this is silly, since all the hostile NPCs in the game are programmed to shoot first and... nah they don't ask questions, they just shoot.

Again, that's laziness by the developers more than anything. I guess I'm more surprised than otherwise that they made the rioters who are looting corpses in the streets just go immediately violent the moment they notice you instead of either running off or "oh poo poo man, we're just trying to survive here".

Like seriously, NPC? I'm carrying around body armor and a huge-rear end assault rifle and your first reaction when you see me from down the block is "let's shoot him!" instead of "oh poo poo, let's run away".

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

There's a few hints that this was to be a different game (something like Assassin's Creed but modern day) before its somewhat recent retooling into a Destiny clone.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

the panacea posted:

Tabula Rasa
Hellgate London
Defiance

Hellgate London made the mistake of not having endgame. The endgame concept is very recent and Hellgate was made in a time where the idea was not has common has now. The game ended in a high crescendo, the moment you killed the endboss.... you had nothing to do. They made some endgame, but was paywalled and was too litte too late. It was a cool game with cool classes. Not much a shooter.

Tabula Rasa had a "development hell" syndrome. The miracle is that they released something. It was frankestein with 90% parts from a korean mmo, and 10% of what they intented but underdelivered. Outpost captured by enemy forces was cool. The day before release they patched the game to be much more grindy intense, it was a different game in beta.

Defiance problem is that is too sparse, and shooting stuff lacks feedback. I like the weapons.

Not all RPG shooters are poo poo, far from the truth.

Borderlands 1 and 2 are truly awesome.

Metal Gear Solid 5 is awesome too.

Sibilant Crisp
Jul 4, 2014

Kenshin posted:

Again, this is silly, since all the hostile NPCs in the game are programmed to shoot first and... nah they don't ask questions, they just shoot.

Again, that's laziness by the developers more than anything. I guess I'm more surprised than otherwise that they made the rioters who are looting corpses in the streets just go immediately violent the moment they notice you instead of either running off or "oh poo poo man, we're just trying to survive here".

Like seriously, NPC? I'm carrying around body armor and a huge-rear end assault rifle and your first reaction when you see me from down the block is "let's shoot him!" instead of "oh poo poo, let's run away".

Those types are just programmed that way :bahgawd:

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Let's be honest if the game wasn't busy balancing on the knife-edge of "hey this is super fun" and "oh my god the developers have no clue what they are doing with an RNG-loot-based-game" we wouldn't be bothering discussing this, we'd either be having too much fun to care or not be playing the game at all

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

There's a few hints that this was to be a different game (something like Assassin's Creed but modern day) before its somewhat recent retooling into a Destiny clone.

I'm curious, where are these hints?

From what I can tell, the major retooling was taking the gameworld from an approximation of lower Manhattan-Brooklyn-Queens, to the near 1-1 Midtown we're playing in today (though the aforementioned content may still be there waiting?). Also scrapping the drone app thing. Pretty sure it was always going to be Destiny-like.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

Kenshin posted:

I'm just answering a stupid question with a stupid answer. You're arguing that the player's actions should be scrutinized based on real life sociological issues, while at the same time defending the hostile NPC's actions because it's just programming. I mean, the whole debate is goofy but if you're going to do it, pick an approach and be consistent.

Edit: this thread is moving fast but I agree that some morally suspect situations would have been neat. But it's not what the game was going for.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

You know you've hosed up when people prefer arguing over racism in your game than they do actually playing it.

Shanghaied posted:

But that's no justification though. That's like saying the Birth of a Nation is not a problematic film because it showed the blacks as violent rapists and lazy drunkards who prevent the whites from voting and rigged an election. See, now the actions of the Klan is totally justified!

It's entirely sufficient justification, and comparing it to Birth of a Nation is patently absurd. The Division isn't trying to make some deep commentary about society (and even if it is, it's so hysterically ineffectual that it doesn't matter). You've got a group of people who engage in excessive and unrestrained violence purely because they can. There's really no way to get around that and explain that it's actually justified, given the evidence with which we're presented. Could it have been? Probably, but that obviously wasn't the route that was taken. It's not even clear that there's a racial component at play here. Most of the Rikers either look white or are of indeterminable race. It's literally a case of "these people probably could have cooperated to rebuild the city, but instead they decided to go on a murder spree."

FrenzyTheKillbot posted:

You're arguing that the player's actions should be scrutinized based on real life sociological issues

This is a more succinct way of putting things. The game is set up to give players a reason to shoot some mans. This is not a hill worth dying on.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

the panacea posted:

Tabula Rasa
Hellgate London
Defiance
Division

Hellgate London was a boss game(when they removed the monthly fee and the game was like $20, this was like 1 month before they sold it to china), and Destiny is still very good.

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

You know you've hosed up when people prefer arguing over racism in your game than they do actually playing it.

It's entirely sufficient justification, and comparing it to Birth of a Nation is patently absurd. The Division isn't trying to make some deep commentary about society (and even if it is, it's so hysterically ineffectual that it doesn't matter). You've got a group of people who engage in excessive and unrestrained violence purely because they can. There's really no way to get around that and explain that it's actually justified, given the evidence with which we're presented. Could it have been? Probably, but that obviously wasn't the route that was taken. It's not even clear that there's a racial component at play here. Most of the Rikers either look white or are of indeterminable race. It's literally a case of "these people probably could have cooperated to rebuild the city, but instead they decided to go on a murder spree."

This is a more succinct way of putting things. The game is set up to give players a reason to shoot some mans. This is not a hill worth dying on.

Lol if you think the actions of the blacks as portrayed in the Birth of a Nation is justified, it's literally as you say: "You've got a group of people who engage in excessive and unrestrained violence purely because they can." The problem with the game, as with the film, is that we have only the evidence as presented by the developer/film maker, which are on some level based on prejudice. But no, it's not a hill worth dying on, and that goes for people on both sides of the argument. People see it differently, and let's accept that.

On another note, if there's one commentary that the game was trying to make, it's that the US government/JTF was super incompetent. I swear I was ready to go Keener when I had to do my third supply retrieval mission, it's like "sure, you just stand there and rest with your four JTF buddies, while I retrieve these four super heavy cases of supplies all on my own, with a LMG and four SMGs, and a loving ballistic shield in my pack. If the rioters do show up, please just fire over their heads." Say what you want about the LMB, at least those guys could aim.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Jeoh posted:

Question: Is it worth buying or crafting anything before you're max (regular) level?
If you got a recipe for s clear blue upgrade sure. Otherwise just stick it in the bank.
Pubbers do regular lex speed runs that will get you 164 HE stuff at 30.

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity
Well, I crafted a HE M60 which refills it's own magazine after a kill. I basically don't need to let go of the trigger until everyone is dead. :unsmigghh:

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

The Rikers are basically join or die from what I've seen. If you're serving your bit because you got popped on possession with or without intent to distribute but either way you're a non-violent offender and LaRae tells you to slice open a cop, you slice open that cop. If you want to stay alive, that is.

Be kinda interesting to find a bunch of Rikers holed up somewhere that took poo poo going sideways as a chance to get away from both prison and the genuinely bad folks within, but this is a Clancy game after all so lol next to no chance of that happening.

Also there's an echo of rioters molotoving some kids and eating pets so ya know there's that I suppose.

E:

Also yeah the JTF really isn't 100% LEO and military, they're all first responder types that got rolled into one group for ease of management. So yeah there's cops and military in there, but also EMTs and firefighters too. People that know how to treat people in a mass casualty event are pretty loving useful, so yeah getting as many of them together as you can isn't exactly a bad idea.

Beeb fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Apr 14, 2016

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

Shanghaied posted:

Lol if you think the actions of the blacks as portrayed in the Birth of a Nation is justified, it's literally as you say: "You've got a group of people who engage in excessive and unrestrained violence purely because they can." The problem with the game, as with the film, is that we have only the evidence as presented by the developer/film maker, which are on some level based on prejudice. But no, it's not a hill worth dying on, and that goes for people on both sides of the argument. People see it differently, and let's accept that.

At no point did I suggest BoaN is a reasonable portrayal. But it's a bad point of comparison because it clearly has an agenda, whereas The Division almost certainly does not. BoaN willfully distorts reality to achieve a nefarious end, whereas The Division is just a video game that has a fairly minimal basis in reality.

And gently caress it, even if you do read in all the existing sociological stuff, the Rikers are still basically indefensible. Unless you're arguing that poor treatment by the police force justifies massacring a portion of the population that remains after a national disaster, in which case you're actually insane.

Capn Beeb posted:

The Rikers are basically join or die from what I've seen. If you're serving your bit because you got popped on possession with or without intent to distribute but either way you're a non-violent offender and LaRae tells you to slice open a cop, you slice open that cop. If you want to stay alive, that is.

Be kinda interesting to find a bunch of Rikers holed up somewhere that took poo poo going sideways as a chance to get away from both prison and the genuinely bad folks within, but this is a Clancy game after all so lol next to no chance of that happening.

Pretty sure it's said at least once that the members of the Rikers were given the option to gently caress off and do whatever if they wanted to, and instead decide that letting Larae call the shots sounds like a good plan.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

Pretty sure it's said at least once that the members of the Rikers were given the option to gently caress off and do whatever if they wanted to, and instead decide that letting Larae call the shots sounds like a good plan.

Oh welp then rip and tear it is I guess

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Lladre posted:

Sounds like you have the One is None talent. Take that off till they fix it. it will jam your gun.

Holy poo poo, that explains why my guns keep loving up :stare:

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Snuffman posted:

The story and the examination of the nature of The Division isn't done, hell, the only thing you really accomplish in the PvE is the death of the leaders of the 3 factions. The virus isn't cured and Keener is still out there with the virus and Amherst's notes to make a better virus. I get the feeling we'll get more story in the DLC.

Uh, not really.

It's pretty explicitly stated that you now have a cure for the virus. "We've mapped any potential drift, and have the antibodies needed to create a cure + We are sending this info to a lab that is used to massproduce cures" reads to me as "We did it.". It's just not the videogamesy "I am massproducing the cure right here in this shithole base in the center of Manhattan" that a lot of games would have done.

You also get told through cutscenes/endgame words that the Rioters/Cleaners/Rikers are running scared/running, and the JTF not only has major strongholds in every area, but has rebuilt all the checkpoints/CERA camps across Manhattan. You just don't see it in the world because this is a loot driven video game, and we need rando packs of assholes for loot/we need the worldstate to stay roughly the same so we can get all the collectibles afterwards.

Keener is Division 2 hook/DLC hook.

The bigger issue at the end of the PvE endgame is that nobody can get in contact with Moscow/D.C anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Dinurth posted:

You can still get through the doors in police academy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNzGXGRPf7Q

Has anyone gotten this to work? Just trying it out now and I can't figure out the timing to get the initial door glitch.

• Locked thread