Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

Any word on performance patches? I can play fine with the low light fix, but I'd like it if the game didn't stutter all the time.

In less boring news, here's a hint for newbies. Ever miss a crystal lizard, or too afraid of enemies near by to chase after it? Don't worry! Just stand in the place the lizard was hanging out before it ran off, and reload your game. The lizard will reload too, and you'll have ample time to beat 'em to a pulp before they can even move their tiny little stubs. Happy murdering!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Genocyber posted:

So a buff build would be any build that heavily uses buffs for damage.

I see. How high would you consider "high" for a stat in this game? Leveling is so much slower than in the previous games, so I'm at 24 STR 25 DEX right now. Since I aim to try as many weapons as possible in this first run I figured I'd try going Quality, especially considering you can actually infuse that in this game.. but maybe I'm just gimping myself.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Sultan Tarquin posted:

I stopped playing bloodborne because the pvp was so abysmal. This feels more like DS1 but with added cry babies because 90% of the people I've invaded have had at minimum 2 phantoms at all times and they just mash R1 and body you.

Ratbros and Bellbros was basically the best thing ever to happen to the game series, period.

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006
Dark Souls Invader Status Update:

You invade: two blues, two yellows, and host are all full-time high-tech hackers who gank you before you can roll once

Invade me: Two blues show up within seconds, you seem to have forgotten your weapon, I don't change my level tactics to ensure you're dead

Seems like a weird balance right now, but w/e

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Everyone is going on about how easy the Crystal Sage is and yet it is one of the ones I have found it hardest to solo

Captn Kurp
Oct 21, 2013

:bravo2:
Any ideas on a weapon that's not reliant on scaling to do decent damage? Using a Flame Longsword right now, but I plan on staying at a relatively low level so I'd like a weapon that does good damage without requiring lots of levels.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
Goddamn ice knight at the bottom of the elevator motherfuck. Where can i get more pine resin.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

Statchat: How effective would the Claymore be if I stop leveling Str and Dex at 20 each, then make it Raw? Is there a better infusion? I want to start leveling int and faith after that, but also attunement.

Raw doesn't scale at all, so it doesn't matter what your Str/Dex are (as long as you meet the minimum requirements).

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Grem posted:

Is there ever a farmable source of twinkling titanite?

near the end of the game you can buy as much as you want

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

I think what I really need is just a faith scaling weapon so that all these level ups don't feel like wasted points.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'
The real Dark Souls is working 9 hours then getting a toddler to bed and convincing your pregnant wife to watch her Greys Anatomy on the ipad in the bedrom so you can dark souls til midnight and wake up at 5.

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006
Felt bad b/c I bow-and-arrowed while Siggie jumped down and attacked that big red firey thing. I was too scared of death.

Afterwords I cheered him and sat to enjoy his brew.

OH gently caress the brew is how you get some unique Sunbro armor? Dammit Dark Souls...

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Harrow posted:

Raw doesn't scale at all, so it doesn't matter what your Str/Dex are (as long as you meet the minimum requirements).

I mean at 20/20, would there be a better infusion than raw or should I aim higher to settle on before int/fth?

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

The lag is just outrageous, every summon/invasion is just a floating t-pose party.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Everyone is going on about how easy the Crystal Sage is and yet it is one of the ones I have found it hardest to solo

same for me, i may go back and wander around some more seeing as people are talking about things i have apparently missed

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Captn Kurp posted:

Any ideas on a weapon that's not reliant on scaling to do decent damage? Using a Flame Longsword right now, but I plan on staying at a relatively low level so I'd like a weapon that does good damage without requiring lots of levels.

Anything Fire or Anything raw. Infusions dude. Learn to use them.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Panty Saluter posted:

same for me, i may go back and wander around some more seeing as people are talking about things i have apparently missed

Start thinking about upgrades if you haven't already. I came to her after Abyss Walkers and was quite overpowered with the weapon I had.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

So, I forgot to talk to Leonhard again and killed the Crystal Sage and he's not showing up in Firelink like he's supposed to post-tree boss. Have I locked myself out of continuing his quest line and getting the Red Eye Orb or is there something I'm missing?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Harrow posted:

So, I forgot to talk to Leonhard again and killed the Crystal Sage and he's not showing up in Firelink like he's supposed to post-tree boss. Have I locked myself out of continuing his quest line and getting the Red Eye Orb or is there something I'm missing?

You're supposed to use his key aren't you?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

The boss of Farron Keep is one of the best bosses in the whole series :stare:

It's cool how it's made up of parts that are stuff we've seen before but all put together in this incredible exciting way. I really like the gimmick of the first phase with all the other dudes showing up and sometimes attacking you and sometimes attacking the others. And then the second one is a crazy intense combination of Artorias and Maria.

I'm in love with this game

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Harrow posted:

I can't remember when he popped in for me, but I think it was after that. Try doing some invasions or killing some invaders, use some cracked eye orbs (like the ones he gave you). He'll show up eventually.

Regy Rusty posted:

The boss of Farron Keep is one of the best bosses in the whole series :stare:

It's cool how it's made up of parts that are stuff we've seen before but all put together in this incredible exciting way. I really like the gimmick of the first phase with all the other dudes showing up and sometimes attacking you and sometimes attacking the others. And then the second one is a crazy intense combination of Artorias and Maria.

I'm in love with this game

Yeah its one of my favorite bosses ever. Straight up Artorias-Maria

You go in thinking oh this is going to be an orntein & smough type multiple boss fight, but then phase 2 isn't that at all

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Wow they nerfed the crap out of forbidden sun. Casting animation is way slower. Suppose its only fair, everytime I used it in PvP it felt like cheating.

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.

RBA Starblade posted:

I mean at 20/20, would there be a better infusion than raw or should I aim higher to settle on before int/fth?

You could focus more on STR or DEX and then do a Heavy/Sharp infusion which would remove the scaling of either DEX or STR and greatly increase the scaling of the other stat.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Start thinking about upgrades if you haven't already. I came to her after Abyss Walkers and was quite overpowered with the weapon I had.

It is less upgrades and more the bullet hell in her second stage. Realized I need to just cheese it with a bow to get rid of the clones

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

8-bit Miniboss posted:

You're supposed to use his key aren't you?

He hasn't given me his key yet, is what I mean.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

DreamShipWrecked posted:

It is less upgrades and more the bullet hell in her second stage. Realized I need to just cheese it with a bow to get rid of the clones

Don't even need a bow, just run around fast poking at them and using cover. Focus down the clones before trying to get a hit on the boss, then you can really get a good few hits in before the boss moves

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

8-bit Miniboss posted:

yeah i commented on your video :v:

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Harrow posted:

check again later

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

I really miss Mundane, but I guess Raw is ok.

Also Bows and Poison seem to suck real bad compared to DS2, and the giants are even flat out immune to poison.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Poison lasts forever but does so little damage you'd have to sit still for like 3 minutes to do significant damage with it.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
finally, loving finally fixed this bullshit crashing. Setting lighting to LOW does work and it only gets rid of tiny minor poo poo effects but heres the kicker, even if you turn auto detect best settings to off, the game will randomly change the loving setting back to MAX for some reason causing further crashes. you have to go to the loving ini file in the user/appsdata/roaming folder, set it low and then make it read only. and even then sometimes the game changes it back but at least it doesnt save.

i've been checking it randomly on and off and i havent had any crashes so far in high wall in the spots i was getting them at. loving hilarious.

now i can finally play this poo poo. i feel like chunk in goonies who gets left behind at the house with slough while the goonies are already on the loving pirate ship blowing each other. :negative:

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

progession questions: (spoilers inbound)

should I finish (locations) cathedral of the deeps, then finish Farron keep, then head to catacombs of carthus or irithyll of the boreal valley? Not sure which one I should head to first. I'm assuming it's former then latter?

I've given (characters) irina the "pure" tome only, and saved onion knight by giving the person's stuff back, and patches is hanging around, greirat is still alive, but has not gone on his second adventure yet. cornyx is still around, sirris is nowhere to be found but I haven't joined "that" covenant, Yuria is around having replaced Yoel. And Orbeck has been given the two of apparently four things.

I'm assuming if I do (location) Farron Keep, then the (covenant) wolfclan goes away, right? Am I missing anything?

Tried to make it as ambiguous as I could. Trying to not gently caress up questlines.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

Cobalt60 posted:

Felt bad b/c I bow-and-arrowed while Siggie jumped down and attacked that big red firey thing. I was too scared of death.

Afterwords I cheered him and sat to enjoy his brew.

OH gently caress the brew is how you get some unique Sunbro armor? Dammit Dark Souls...

Are you kidding me.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
So I'm at Undead Settlement after having beaten the burning asylum demon, got Flyn's Ring and I have no idea how to proceed. Do I need to bone back to a bonfire?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Harrow posted:

He hasn't given me his key yet, is what I mean.

Oh, I know.

Go to the Undead Settlement, there's a hanging body in the area near where that Fire demon is at and there's a Pale Tounge (I think it's called) in that body, grab it and he should show up in Firelink then and give you the key.

Calaveron posted:

So I'm at Undead Settlement after having beaten the burning asylum demon, got Flyn's Ring and I have no idea how to proceed. Do I need to bone back to a bonfire?

Keep exploring, you don't have to bone out. There's a path out that leads you back to the Curse-rotten Greatwood's outer steps.

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Apr 14, 2016

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

The Crest Shield is so good. I'd been using the Silver something kite shield for most of the game since it was the lightest 100% physical block I've found and you get it wicked early, but the Crest Shield has way higher magic defense, better stability, and better all other defenses by a bit for the same weight. It even upgrades out of twinkling titanite which I've had zero use for so far.

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

Internet Kraken posted:

Poison lasts forever but does so little damage you'd have to sit still for like 3 minutes to do significant damage with it.

Yeah, Toxin in DS3 seem to tick for the same damage as Poison did in DS2. I initially panicked when I fell into a toxic swamp coming off how dangerous toxin was in previous souls game but I could sustain toxic damage for several minutes in DS3.

You can't even buy toxin knives, arrows, resins either. So poison is basically garbage in pve and pvp now, it takes too long to build up and does no damage. Shame because it was my favourite thing in DS2.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

If I'm doing a strength build should I do normal claymore or refined?

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
So came across this video that explains how damage reduction works, and it's well, kinda weird.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MKc9ejlUYs

Essentially there are two types of reduction, flat damage reduction and damage. Flat reduction is what is subtracted from whatever damage you experience. So say if you got hit by 300 damage and you have strike resistance of 100, then your damage is reduced to 200. The next number is absorption, which is the percent is used to calculate how much of the damage you experience, after the flat damage. So in this case if you have 10% absorption, then your armor would absorb 10% of 200, or 20, so your final damage is 180.

Here's the really weird thing. All armor has the exact same amount of flat damage. A rag will give you the same amount as wearing heavy armor.

The difference comes into absorption. Heavy armor has a higher absorption rating than light armor. However once you pass 25%, the percentage of absorption doesn't actually match the percentage. So if you have 28% absorption, the actual percentage might be more around 26% of absorption reduction.

I tried to explain this as best as I understood, but watch the video

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Is this game as dog poo poo on PC as I'm reading?