Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Don't conflate atrocious voice acting with silly. Every time he cries it sounds like he is clubbing a seal while strangling a cat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Look, that is the proud and noble call of his native people the Space Whales. Do not disparage it.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Vitamin P posted:

What is the most accessible/least silly/prettiest animated series of Gundam?

I can parse the other 2 but why on earth would anyone want not-silly Gundam???

Anyway, watch Build Fighters. The first series, not the sequel.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ImpAtom posted:

Look, that is the proud and noble call of his native people the Space Whales. Do not disparage it.

It was one hell of a call. Lacus showed up.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Pureauthor posted:

Gundam has a reputation for being a grim and serious series which is probably not entirely earned. it's grim but frequently silly or comedic because Tomino enjoys mixing comedy into things and Gundam has taken from him. You honestly don't get a great view of the franchise if you cut out the wackiness. (Which is true of a lot of series. VOTOMS is frigging VOTOMS but it still has Chirico's Pals)

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Gundam has a reputation for being a grim and serious series which is probably not entirely earned. it's grim but frequently silly or comedic because Tomino enjoys mixing comedy into things and Gundam has taken from him. You honestly don't get a great view of the franchise if you cut out the wackiness. (Which is true of a lot of series. VOTOMS is frigging VOTOMS but it still has Chirico's Pals)

Not just the comedy - Gundam is also known for ultra-heightened melodrama and strange, silly writing decisions, some of which is also Tomino's legacy - he has a downright odd ear for narrative, dialogue, and character writing. Which is, again, something it shares with VOTOMS.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

Vitamin P posted:

What is the most accessible/least silly/prettiest animated series of Gundam?

I would say 8th MS team. It's presented as a grunts-eye view of a Vietname-esque ground war, but with robots. The characters are all normal Joes (not eccentric newtype aces) and it doesn't require any knowledge of other gundam shows so you can jump right in. There are a couple of sillier scenes (like The Official Mandatory Hot Springs Episode) but in all I would say its one of the more serious series. It's also very well animated.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Pureauthor posted:

Anyway, watch Build Fighters. The first series, not the sequel.

I dont think Build Fighters should be an entry point into Gundam, if they have the choice of something else like 00 or even IBO that is. Some of the fun comes from the little efforts of love like recognising the custom-job gunpla up front or in the background rather than just seeing them as a new machine of the week.

You know, like BF-Try.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i would recommend build fighters to someone looking for a good, fun anime, but i wouldn't recommend it to someone who's specifically looking for a gundam anime

build fighters isn't just tangentially gundam, it does a good job of making funny in-jokes and including lots of gundam references, but the actual substance of the show is not at all what gundam generally is, so it's not really a good entry point into the series in any way other than introducing someone to gundam's mobile suit designs.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

ninjewtsu posted:

i would recommend build fighters to someone looking for a good, fun anime, but i wouldn't recommend it to someone who's specifically looking for a gundam anime

build fighters isn't just tangentially gundam, it does a good job of making funny in-jokes and including lots of gundam references, but the actual substance of the show is not at all what gundam generally is, so it's not really a good entry point into the series in any way other than introducing someone to gundam's mobile suit designs.

Yah I think it's a safe assumption that when folks ask about Gundam they wanna see some sort of armed conflict rather than what is essentially a sports anime

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Srice posted:

Yah I think it's a safe assumption that when folks ask about Gundam they wanna see some sort of armed conflict rather than what is essentially a sports anime

Man, I'd kill for a sports anime gundam.

I know I said it before, but make an Advance of Zeta show, and have it play out like Top Gun, with the ensemble cast having their own little stories each episode, usually revolving around personal life stuff or a new unit to test, have mock battles like in 0083's opening bit, and maybe some shirtless volleyball every now and again. Maybe an overarching plot in the background. Hell, it's even good for the toy guys since it means they can roll out a bunch of cheap HGs whenever a new test unit shows up.

But that's just me daydreaming about my perfect show. :allears:

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Man, I'd kill for a sports anime gundam.

Good news: Build fighters exists.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I said sports anime gundam, not sports anime gunpla.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

thanks, now I'm imaging a bunch of mobile suits playing beach volleyball to Kenny Logins

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

Srice posted:

That's certainly correct here. Thanks for the advice folks, gonna give 8th and IRON BLOODED ORPHANS(!) a try.

Caros
May 14, 2008

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

I said sports anime gundam, not sports anime gunpla.

Good news! G-Gundam exists.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Caros posted:

Good news! G-Gundam exists.

Right down to the entire show up to nearly the end being a tournament arc.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Kuvo posted:

thanks, now I'm imaging a bunch of mobile suits playing beach volleyball to Kenny Logins

also thanks

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Kuvo posted:

did u know danger zone plays automatically when you open the pages of gundam sentinel

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
G Gundam was so bad.

I had such high expectations because everyone loves it so much. Conversely SEED did not give me prostate cancer like most were saying, possibly because I was expecting nothing out of it. You could say I curbed my enthusiasm.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
G Gundam is not a Gundam show, its a show about nationally stereotyped kung fu robots

if you go into it knowing that youll have a fun time

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Kuvo posted:

G Gundam is not a Gundam show, its a show about nationally stereotyped kung fu robots

if you go into it knowing that youll have a fun time

It does include Imagawa's take on a surprising number of Gundam themes, though.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Ka0 posted:

G Gundam was so bad.

I had such high expectations because everyone loves it so much. Conversely SEED did not give me prostate cancer like most were saying, possibly because I was expecting nothing out of it. You could say I curbed my enthusiasm.

Everyone loves G Gundam because it's fun, dumb, and tongue-in-cheek in all the right ways. I don't know what sort of expectations you had, but what you see is what you get.

Also most people agree that SEED was p. good but Destiny retroactively soured them on it. Incidentally, you can probably go ahead and watch Destiny now.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

G Gundam is absolutely a Gundam show

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Also the real advice wrt G is to watch Giant Robo first since it's better in every way and less of a commitment to boot. If you don't like Giant Robo you're not gonna have a good time with G Gundam, most likely

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

If you don't like Giant Robo you're a loser.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Does giant robo have anything as comparably goofy as tequila gundam or mermaid gundam

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Giant Robo and G Gundam are both Chinese martial arts movies and they're good as hell. G Gundam is super long though.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

ninjewtsu posted:

Does giant robo have anything as comparably goofy as tequila gundam or mermaid gundam

even goofier, and presented even more seriously. It won't even seem goofy, you'll be so into it

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Kuvo posted:

Play-ing with-the-toys! :yayclod:

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Srice posted:

G Gundam is absolutely a Gundam show

This. It just seems like it isn't because the Gundam Fight is not literally a war, Gundam Fighters are not psychics and Master Asia does not wear a mask. It presents the same themes of the Universal Century but does so one step removed from the way that nearly every other AU would later present them.

G Gundam owns not because it is dumb fun, but because it gives no fucks about looking dumb on the surface while still being actually good underneath that. Take a good, long look at Domon and tell me he is not a Gundam MC like Kamille is.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

GimmickMan posted:

G Gundam owns not because it is dumb fun, but because it gives no fucks about looking dumb on the surface while still being actually good underneath that. Take a good, long look at Domon and tell me he is not a Gundam MC like Kamille is.

Domon's love relationship actually reads like an actual, real relationship that took time to develop, has problems and is founded on love and trust that has to be gained (and God Gundam does Domon take a while to get that right). Kamille immediatly falls in love with someone who also loves him despite never having done anything together because psychic powers, something that is in itself a copy of what happened to Amuro only executed worse.

That said both Domon and Kamille really, really like punching people. Only Domon does it with style. Not as much style as his master, but still, style.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
Didn't care much for giant robo either. I'm just not into super robot shows in general, with exceptions.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Giant Robo is more wuxia than anything robot related, but that won't change anybody's opinion on it after the fact.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Also most people agree that SEED was p. good but Destiny retroactively soured them on it. Incidentally, you can probably go ahead and watch Destiny now.

I thought SEED was mediocre from the start, and still feel that way.

But mediocre is way better than whatever SEED Destiny is.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
If you use the original series as a baseline then SEED definitely does not come close to being good and I am unable to view any series in the franchise otherwise so maybe I have become a grognard.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I will never be in sync with this thread and I wouldn't want to anyway. SEED is my baseline and the Tomino stuff doesn't measure up unless it is MSG, even then you have to wilfully ignore a lot of really dumb, bizarre poo poo and absurdly forced drama caused by dumb, bizarre poo poo that gets people killed. CCA is gorgeous though.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
SEED is a good baseline though because you can count the number of objectively worse series on one hand so on average you can only go up in quality with each new thing you watch.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I hold SEED to a much higher esteem that you're implying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

oohhboy posted:

a lot of really dumb, bizarre poo poo and absurdly forced drama caused by dumb, bizarre poo poo that gets people killed.

How does that not describe SEED perfectly?