Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Haha wow that "boulder"

When i saw what was happening I was too busy laughing to move

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

So the wiki says I should be able to summon 3 dudes for the abyss watchers fight, but I only see gotthard. I can't find sirris' summon sign anywhere, and I talked to her and she liked me. She's also missing so I'm not sure what happened...

Didn't see her summon sign near the deeps either.

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Apr 14, 2016

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

XboxPants posted:

This reminds me, does the side-step you get with the Thrall Axe give you i-frames? That seemed like it'd be a really fun fighting style, a little bit bloodborne. Hell, you could even put a crossbow in your right hand and Thrall Axe in your left for full cosplay action~

Also I really wish you could imbue crossbows. :(

Yes, the quickstep has iframes. I think I'd probably like the game more overall if that was just the default lightweight dodge instead of a weapon art actually.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

What's the deal with my parry not allowing for a followup attack? I'm doing it in pvp and it's negating the damage but otherwise not bothering the other player at all. Same with npcs.

e: Nevermind, it's because Caestus doesn't have "parry" on it :\ that sucks!!

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

a cop posted:

What's the deal with my parry not allowing for a followup attack? I'm doing it in pvp and it's negating the damage but otherwise not bothering the other player at all. Same with npcs.

Mashing? Turning off center of the target?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

a cop posted:

You might be just barely missing the timing. If you miss the timing a bit, you get a "partial parry" that blocks some of the damage but doesn't set them up for a riposte.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

You guise made me feel so bad about using coop to beat Aldrich that now I'm gonna solo General Grievous

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.
Scaling for weapons seems to start really low, lots of D's and E's. Does it grow higher as you take the weapon down the upgrade path this time, or are there just less C/B+ weapons?

Harrow posted:

Yes, the quickstep has iframes. I think I'd probably like the game more overall if that was just the default lightweight dodge instead of a weapon art actually.

It's a really cool dodge. I've never even played Bloodborne and I really like it.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Harrow posted:

You might be just barely missing the timing. If you miss the timing a bit, you get a "partial parry" that blocks some of the damage but doesn't set them up for a riposte.

I think it's because Caestus doesn't have "parry" on it. Gonna try unarmed, I know I was parrying when I was unarmed and the animation is exactly the same for 1 hand caestus so I figured it would work but maybe not. .

kater
Nov 16, 2010

turtlecrunch posted:

As a reminder this game is completely bonkers on PC. I just got summoned for a boss fight where the boss and host did not have animations and nothing could damage me, then immediately following that I went to face that boss myself, got invaded, summoned a NPC, entered the boss gate and the invader was not banished AND the NPC could not come through the boss gate, so the NPC was stuck running into the boss gate while the invader backstabbed him over and over and over again until he died.

I got summoned for the Ice Dog and the fog didn't clear after he was engaged.

And then me and the guy sitting on the ground next to me somehow got aggro on the thing so it started lunging at us but could only get halfway through the fog. Host chopped him in the leg for like five minutes as it kept swinging at us.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

HellCopter posted:

He drops his katana, which is a sweet dex weapon. That's it though.

I got that sword in the saddest way possible. I fail-rolled off a cliff and he patiently followed me. Sword was on the ground when I went back for my souls.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Someone invaded me, a blue showed up, and they were stuck in standing animations, sliding around the map. I beat them...somehow.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Did this 100mb already drop for everyone or did it just drop now?

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

turtlecrunch posted:

As a reminder this game is completely bonkers on PC. I just got summoned for a boss fight where the boss and host did not have animations and nothing could damage me, then immediately following that I went to face that boss myself, got invaded, summoned a NPC, entered the boss gate and the invader was not banished AND the NPC could not come through the boss gate, so the NPC was stuck running into the boss gate while the invader backstabbed him over and over and over again until he died.

oh

I thought maybe that invader I fought that was sort of hovering around like a roomba just had a really weird spell going or something. This makes more sense. Still beat him though... Raw Astora Straight Sword feels like cheating early game.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Harrow posted:

I feel like I'm handicapping by not using a straight sword or the Uchigatana. Are there any good-for-PvE weapons other than those in the first half of the game? Everything else I've tried (granted I'm more of a Dex build) just doesn't seem to have the moveset to deal with the fast, aggressive, high-poise enemies.

I've been using the thrall axe ever since I got one and its been doing fine. It staggers most enemies with a single hit, and you can use fancy footwork to get around the bigger ones.

Its hot trash in PvP though, much to my chargin. You simply need weapons with reach when fighting other players due to how mobile everyone is.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
So I liked High Lord Wolnir, and he was pretty easy... Except, surely there's a way to stop him from chasing you to the back wall and instakilling you with fog?

His charge seemed pretty random regardless of whether I was close or far away. He died before I could experiment further however.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Man, people that call in Sunbros need to learn to actually fight the fight. Yo dude, Sunbros aren't a taxi service, you have to participate too

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Yup. If I want to easy parry -> attack with my Raw Astora Sword I have to go 100% unarmed, parry, and then switch back to the Astora Sword to attack. I wanted to have Caestus in my left hand slot so I didn't have to switch on or off (it's easy to just go 2hand or not) but alas. You usually can't parry with Astora because L2 is weapon stance.

Ceramics
May 26, 2014

Thank you to whoever mentioned a few pages back about pressing R3 to hide part of the equip menu for fashion souls purposes. Super useful and i never would have found it on my own

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Panty Saluter posted:

Yeah I just got a bunch too. Restarted and DS3 started loading

who is to say?

in it voted 5

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Does the password system not work right now? That's two different groups that no one can see me. Or is it actually level limited?

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.
I had to Alt+F4 the game because of sub-1fps speeds in Road of Sacrifice after a night of perfect 60fps.

...then Steam showed that I needed to update 10+ games that I've played recently. Uhhh...

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Lol. Going unarmed, waiting for people to attack you, parrying, and switching to a different weapon to follow up owns in pvp.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Orv posted:

Yeah, it has a bunch of enemies that are basically "hope you have enough stamina/estus fucko!" I hate these areas.

I agree- along with the perma-poison/slow blighttown expy, this was probably the one area so far I've unambiguously not wanted to be in.

At least for me personally, part of the problem is how I want to play the game versus how the game wants to be played: I'm still stuck in a demon's/DS1 mindset, where I want to make a guy with no vigor, all damage/utility, and just learn enemies well enough that dodging becomes my health. That's fine and dandy with one guy, but 3 focuses so much more on group encounters that I'm starting to think it isn't sustainable.

Case in point in the area we're talking about, the few times I could get one of those knight guys alone, I could safely dodge his attacks and probably kill him 8-9 times out of 10. However, getting hit once was usually enough to kill me, and when most of your encounters are with packs of them, you're kinda out of luck.

I didn't realize how problematic my own build was until I watched a video of someone with like 30 vigor do this area, and he was just shrugging off 4-5 hits from those guys, popping an estus, and moving on.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

f#a# posted:

I had to Alt+F4 the game because of sub-1fps speeds in Road of Sacrifice after a night of perfect 60fps.

...then Steam showed that I needed to update 10+ games that I've played recently. Uhhh...

Same, though none that are on your list

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Your Computer posted:

So I liked High Lord Wolnir, and he was pretty easy... Except, surely there's a way to stop him from chasing you to the back wall and instakilling you with fog?

His charge seemed pretty random regardless of whether I was close or far away. He died before I could experiment further however.

The fight is basically on a time limit with you having to break his arms before he uses the fog against the wall. Not hard, but his moves seem totally random which doesn't seem right in such a gimmicky fight.

Omi no Kami posted:

That's fine and dandy with one guy, but 3 focuses so much more on group encounters that I'm starting to think it isn't sustainable.

Wonder how all those people that complained about DS2 having too many enemies feel about 3, cause it has way more in the average encounter than either 1 or 2.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So how do I get to that woman in the cell near the abandoned cathedral? The gate doesn't open from the side of the cathedral, and I see no way down to the ravine which I assume connects to her cell

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

XboxPants posted:

oh

I thought maybe that invader I fought that was sort of hovering around like a roomba just had a really weird spell going or something. This makes more sense. Still beat him though... Raw Astora Straight Sword feels like cheating early game.

VRRRRMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM (post-Road of Sacrifices boss spoiler)

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!

a cop posted:

Lol. Going unarmed, waiting for people to attack you, parrying, and switching to a different weapon to follow up owns in pvp.

This is how I played my pugilist character in dark souls 2. Thinking about reviving him for 3 but with the way pvp is looking like it's panning out it might be terrible.

https://gfycat.com/FirmWellinformedKentrosaurus

Orv
May 4, 2011

Friendly Humour posted:

So how do I get to that woman in the cell near the abandoned cathedral? The gate doesn't open from the side of the cathedral, and I see no way down to the ravine which I assume connects to her cell

Rat sewer has another door, buy the key from the Handmaiden once you've given her the Mortician's ashes.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Friendly Humour posted:

There's sewers nearby that connect to her cell. You need Mortician's Ashes from the area where the Giant shoots its arrows turned into the Shrine Handmaiden where you can buy the Sewer Key to make your way to the woman in the cell.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Omi no Kami posted:

I agree- along with the perma-poison/slow blighttown expy, this was probably the one area so far I've unambiguously not wanted to be in.

At least for me personally, part of the problem is how I want to play the game versus how the game wants to be played: I'm still stuck in a demon's/DS1 mindset, where I want to make a guy with no vigor, all damage/utility, and just learn enemies well enough that dodging becomes my health. That's fine and dandy with one guy, but 3 focuses so much more on group encounters that I'm starting to think it isn't sustainable.

Case in point in the area we're talking about, the few times I could get one of those knight guys alone, I could safely dodge his attacks and probably kill him 8-9 times out of 10. However, getting hit once was usually enough to kill me, and when most of your encounters are with packs of them, you're kinda out of luck.

I didn't realize how problematic my own build was until I watched a video of someone with like 30 vigor do this area, and he was just shrugging off 4-5 hits from those guys, popping an estus, and moving on.

Yeah I'm sure my weapon being under leveled for my progress isn't helping, and I suspect I'm under level in general for how much experimentation and PvP I've been doing, but I agree with you on all of this.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Sultan Tarquin posted:

This is how I played my pugilist character in dark souls 2. Thinking about reviving him for 3 but with the way pvp is looking like it's panning out it might be terrible.

https://gfycat.com/FirmWellinformedKentrosaurus

It's been aight for me but I'm still early on (only in the mid 30s), what's wrong with that gyfcat though?? Looks like the punching guy is getting some good staggering hits in and the shield guy isn't actively defending.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Orv posted:

Rat sewer has another door, buy the key from the Handmaiden once you've given her the Mortician's ashes.

Thanks!

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
You can survive rolling down into that ravine from where her guard is sitting as well.

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today
It may be a lot to ask, but can someone give a brief summary of this whole covenant system? I hear people talking about sunbros, bluecops, etc. What's the significance? I'm new to the Souls series and I understand that online play is unusual. I just can't find a good summary of this nonsense.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!

a cop posted:

It's been aight for me but I'm still early on (only in the mid 30s), what's wrong with that gyfcat though?? Looks like the punching guy is getting some good staggering hits in and the shield guy isn't actively defending.

He put his shield up the split second before I kicked and parried him.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Macintosh HD posted:

It may be a lot to ask, but can someone give a brief summary of this whole covenant system? I hear people talking about sunbros, bluecops, etc. What's the significance? I'm new to the Souls series and I understand that online play is unusual. I just can't find a good summary of this nonsense.

They're basically factions. They let you do stuff to gain "reputation" which usually results in items or gear. Sunbros gives you a coin every time you successfully help someone in co-op. Blue cops are counter-invaders- if someone has the blue help-me thing enabled then blue-cops get summoned to their world when they get invaded. DS3 makes it easier than ever to switch between factions because it's just an item you equip in your menu (it's to the right of all your rings).

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today

a cop posted:

They're basically factions. They let you do stuff to gain "reputation" which usually results in items or gear. Sunbros gives you a coin every time you successfully help someone in co-op. Blue cops are counter-invaders- if someone has the blue help-me thing enabled then blue-cops get summoned to their world when they get invaded. DS3 makes it easier than ever to switch between factions because it's just an item you equip in your menu (it's to the right of all your rings).

That's loving awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Macintosh HD posted:

Covenants modify how you play online. Some, like the Warriors of Sunlight ("Sunbros," so called because they're helpful), are all about being summoned to help other players. Your summon sign that you set down with the White Sign Soapstone turns gold, and you're summoned as a gold phantom, and you get rewards for helping others beat bosses. "Bluecops" are the Blue Sentinels, who are summoned to help members of the Way of Blue covenant when they're invaded by other players.

You can join covenants by finding their covenant items and equipping them in your covenant item slot (it's that equipment slot on your equipment menu that's surrounded by a diamond). As long as you have the item equipped, you're a member of the covenant. You can switch at any time to any covenant whose item you've found.