Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

I'd always thought of Excession as another The Culture meets Civilization X moment, honestly, just on a really big scale, but I really love the idea of thinking of it more as Banks' take on a Culture potboiler. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

General Battuta posted:

The Culture is a fascinating setting exactly because it's not ambitiously post-human. It posits a society of recognizable people who've received everything we want: incorruptible government, unlimited self-actualization, no scarcity or need for labor, and perfect agency over your own body and mind.

Then it asks: is this utopia or dystopia? Heaven or decay?

I really enjoyed that aspect of Permutation City, too.

What Egan should I read next? The only other one I've read is Incandescence and while what he was doing with the book was interesting, the actual reading of it I found excruciatingly dull.

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

Phanatic posted:

I really enjoyed that aspect of Permutation City, too.

What Egan should I read next? The only other one I've read is Incandescence and while what he was doing with the book was interesting, the actual reading of it I found excruciatingly dull.
Axiomatic, his first short story collection, is probably one of his strongest books as a whole.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
I thought Quarantine was p. cool if a bit more conventional than Permutation City. Diaspora has been on my to-read list for a while now as well.

e: Oceanic's largely great too!

Koesj fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Apr 12, 2016

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
The problem I had wasn't that the society was practically post scarcity. It's that the Culture was tremendously unambitious with what it did with that status. The populace seems to just live, from my reading so far, an existence left wing 21st century types might think of as idyllic. This could be contrasted with the societies I mentioned before which did huge things with their position, like trying to record every conscious thought ever, or creating new suns out of gas giants. These other societies, of course, had populations that were less modern day human and much more post human, with intellects for the average citizen well beyond those of the non Mind Culture citizens. The internal goings on of these more aggressively posthuman societies were consequently much more interesting to read about, whereas the Culture only shines with a contrasting civilisation. The posthuman societies tickle my imagination far more than what I have seen of the Culture so far. Note I am only two novels in, and I am still enjoying the books, I just don't put the Culture on the same plane as other fictional mega advanced civilisations.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Yeah, I've always thought that the biggest concession of the Culture books is that half the populace haven't immediately started upgrading themselves to be as close to Mind status as they can get.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Strategic Tea posted:

Yeah, I've always thought that the biggest concession of the Culture books is that half the populace haven't immediately started upgrading themselves to be as close to Mind status as they can get.

I think that's probably the most accurate part of the Culture. Most people just live, maybe with their one random obsession (playing games, playing the hydrogen sonata, etc.)

I mean, the Culture books basically pose the question "if you didn't have to worry about anything and could have anything, what would you do?" and pointing out that to some extent the people who don't just accept the freedom from want are the broken ones. If you can live happily, why would you pursue discomfort and unhappiness?

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Neurosis posted:

The problem I had wasn't that the society was practically post scarcity. It's that the Culture was tremendously unambitious with what it did with that status. The populace seems to just live, from my reading so far, an existence left wing 21st century types might think of as idyllic. This could be contrasted with the societies I mentioned before which did huge things with their position, like trying to record every conscious thought ever, or creating new suns out of gas giants. These other societies, of course, had populations that were less modern day human and much more post human, with intellects for the average citizen well beyond those of the non Mind Culture citizens. The internal goings on of these more aggressively posthuman societies were consequently much more interesting to read about, whereas the Culture only shines with a contrasting civilisation. The posthuman societies tickle my imagination far more than what I have seen of the Culture so far. Note I am only two novels in, and I am still enjoying the books, I just don't put the Culture on the same plane as other fictional mega advanced civilisations.

Yeah, like I said above, the Culture is about 21st century humans who've been granted everything they desire. What is life about now? What provides them purpose? Are they people or cattle? Do they have a responsibility to intervene in less developed societies, or a responsibility not to? The Culture does not engage in gigaprojects (barring the occasional war or effort to wipe out hell) because that's not what we, humans, would do. We'd live variegated and pluralist lives chasing our own interests.

Banks is a very humanist writer. Even when he's dealing with the most posthuman aspects of the Culture, like easy voluntary sex change, he brings it back to very psychological-realist traumas and conflicts.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
Yeah, you got what I was talking about, Battuta, but I don't think some of the other replies quite grappled with it.

For my money if I were in such a society I'd start bootstrapping myself with enhancements and cybernetics as much as possible but I can see the appeal of hedonism.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Strategic Tea posted:

Given infinite technology people aren't going to try to turn themselves into AIs, they're going to try to get more sex.

Compared to a hundred years ago, say, the West has improved its technology to a ridiculous extent, but most of us aren't using it to find the Higgs boson. We're swiping right. (E: And this is just at the level of reasonable characterisation, ignoring the possibility that Banks might be interested in relating his books to contemporary society.)

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I love the series (and have already bought the books before), so give em a whirl. Hell, if it sucks, it's only a buck.

It's... it's a unique series. It's got everything from dick jokes to your mom jokes to horrible puns about names and races. It's not high literature by any stretch of the imagination, but it's a great read.

Dude, people don't have to worry about Caverns n Cobolds sucking cuz they're fuckin hilarious and awesome, and also highly addictive. The audiobook versions are also top notch, probably my favorite humor audiobooks, with an awesome narrator that provides perfect voices for the characters, and they manage to make me actually laugh out loud for real.

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012
Egan I've enjoyed:

Diaspora, Permutation City, many of his earlier short stories.

Egan I couldn't finish:

Schild's Ladder, The Clockwork Rocket.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Neurosis posted:

I think the mistake you're making is that the Culture really isn't a post-human society. Post-scarcity, certainly, but it's very much still a human culture.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
No, I'm aware of the distinction, hence why I'm referring to the other cultures as 'more aggressively posthuman' and mentioning the fact the citizens in the other civilisations had less in common with modern days humans.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Neurosis posted:

No, I'm aware of the distinction, hence why I'm referring to the other cultures as 'more aggressively posthuman' and mentioning the fact the citizens in the other civilisations had less in common with modern days humans.

Uh, have you read The Hydrogen Sonata?

Because it's stated pretty plainly that if you want to go the post-human route, you sublime, and the Culture defines itself by the fact that it could sublime but doesn't. Most of the Culture's ethos and self-identity is about embracing the few constraints and restrictions that exit in a post-scarcity world. There are dissenters who are working to sublime or doing other non-Culture things but they're called out as being only borderline Culture, splinter factions.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Y'all are really making me want to start Banks. Decided that my first one will be Excession, after listening to suggestions and reasonings.

Beyond the sort of meta-analysis we're doing here, is there anything I should know before going in, just to avoid confusion?

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

mdemone posted:

Y'all are really making me want to start Banks. Decided that my first one will be Excession, after listening to suggestions and reasonings.

Beyond the sort of meta-analysis we're doing here, is there anything I should know before going in, just to avoid confusion?

I'd suggest a physical copy - large chunks of the book are communications between AIs (which is awesome, Banks' machines are often more compelling than his humans) and it helps if you can flip back and forth to follow the conversation.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

mdemone posted:

Buy trade paperbacks and not lovely mass market editions

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
I just caught up with Battuta's commentary on The Traitor Baru Cormorant. It's helpful for my rereading of the book, but unfortunately it only goes five chapters deep as of now. The only thing I really disagree with is that I think Heingyl (I pronounce it with a hard G.) is a perfectly fine name, and would single out Ihuake as the most awkward name in the book instead.

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

Neurosis posted:

Yeah, you got what I was talking about, Battuta, but I don't think some of the other replies quite grappled with it.

For my money if I were in such a society I'd start bootstrapping myself with enhancements and cybernetics as much as possible but I can see the appeal of hedonism.

The other thing is that although it's never front and center it's kind of implied that people do all sorts of weird esoteric things but existing too far outside of the "human" norm is considered anywhere from tacky to crazy to antisocial.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

I've been reading a lot of David Weber lately, and it's put me in the mood for some good space opera stuff. Heavy on the science, empire-building, intrigue, that kind of stuff. Where do you guys think I should start?

I should note - Star Wars isn't one of my favorite settings. It's OK but in the past all the stuff I read tended to focus too much on Jedi/force and individuals rather than politics, intrigue, fleet maneuvers, etc.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

khy posted:

I've been reading a lot of David Weber lately, and it's put me in the mood for some good space opera stuff. Heavy on the science, empire-building, intrigue, that kind of stuff. Where do you guys think I should start?

I should note - Star Wars isn't one of my favorite settings. It's OK but in the past all the stuff I read tended to focus too much on Jedi/force and individuals rather than politics, intrigue, fleet maneuvers, etc.

You could try the Succession duology by Scott Westerfeld, which has one of the longest and most consistently tense space battles I've ever read. The Risen Empire/Killing of Worlds. They're pretty much one book but the publisher split them in half.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

khy posted:

all the stuff I read tended to focus too much on Jedi/force and individuals rather than politics, intrigue, fleet maneuvers, etc.

First volume of "Legend of Galactic Heroes" is out in translation (the translation is kind of clunky, but you can see why it was such a big deal originally).

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

General Battuta posted:

You could try the Succession duology by Scott Westerfeld, which has one of the longest and most consistently tense space battles I've ever read. The Risen Empire/Killing of Worlds. They're pretty much one book but the publisher split them in half.

God damnit, I was going to post this. Like, nearly word for word. The big space battle is Das Boot levels of intense and the thing that's most rubbed off on me, and it's still very hard SF how everything works in it.

I hope he gets around to writing more in the future.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Grimson posted:

The other thing is that although it's never front and center it's kind of implied that people do all sorts of weird esoteric things but existing too far outside of the "human" norm is considered anywhere from tacky to crazy to antisocial.

Hell, I'm sure I remember some characters at one point talking about how it used to be fashionable to spend time as a sentient alien shrub, complete with an old contact agent who never gave up his plant body. They can be as posthuman as they want. They just only use it to goof around, rather than all that transcend the flesh nonsense.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

General Battuta posted:

Phwoar I totally forgot about reading these! Yeah they're cool and I third the recommendation.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

General Battuta posted:

Yeah, like I said above, the Culture is about 21st century humans who've been granted everything they desire. What is life about now? What provides them purpose? Are they people or cattle? Do they have a responsibility to intervene in less developed societies, or a responsibility not to? The Culture does not engage in gigaprojects (barring the occasional war or effort to wipe out hell) because that's not what we, humans, would do. We'd live variegated and pluralist lives chasing our own interests.

Well, it does; there are Orbitals and ringworlds and Dyson spheres, but the construction of those things isn't dealt with because who cares? Gigaprojects are secondary to the questions you use as examples. When resources are unlimited, conflicts are only going to be moral in nature.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Neurosis posted:

No you wouldn't, because you wouldn't be the you typing this. These characters exist in their world, not ours, and their behaviour is a result of the material conditions of their lives, so their motivations and lifestyles being alien to those of a normal 21st century human's is apt. What wouldn't make sense is people in a post-scarcity, galaxy-spanning civilization behaving in any way like modern people do.

On this topic, are the Culture books actually good, well-written novels? I keep hearing good things, but I've been burned before by goon favourite authors while enjoying novels by authors like KSR which are generally looked down upon here for being "boring".

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Uh yea. Banks can tell a hell of a story.

xian
Jan 21, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
And he can turn a phrase with the best of them.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Wheeee posted:

No you wouldn't, because you wouldn't be the you typing this. These characters exist in their world, not ours, and their behaviour is a result of the material conditions of their lives, so their motivations and lifestyles being alien to those of a normal 21st century human's is apt. What wouldn't make sense is people in a post-scarcity, galaxy-spanning civilization behaving in any way like modern people do.

can you hear my eyes rolling from where you are

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Wheeee posted:

On this topic, are the Culture books actually good, well-written novels? I keep hearing good things, but I've been burned before by goon favourite authors while enjoying novels by authors like KSR which are generally looked down upon here for being "boring".

Yes, that's why they're beloved. Banks is an excellent writer at a craft level, and while I don't think he's great at structure, he's charming and funny and heartfelt and often really horrifying.

e: and gone too soon :(

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
So basically The Culture is not so much a series, but a bunch of books set in the same universe?

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Yea

tiniestacorn
Oct 3, 2015

Grimson posted:

Tanith Lee addressed exactly this in Don't Bite the Sun, only she did it 10 years before Banks started publishing Culture novels. I wonder if he read her work, or this is just a natural direction one would take in examining a culture like The Culture.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

tiniestacorn posted:

Tanith Lee addressed exactly this in Don't Bite the Sun, only she did it 10 years before Banks started publishing Culture novels. I wonder if he read her work, or this is just a natural direction one would take in examining a culture like The Culture.

It's difficult to say, Banks writes that there were plenty of periods of time where weird and non-humanoid, or even merging with machine consciousnesses were in fashion. I got the feeling it was always more of a writerly conceit, there was always the occasional party scene with the really weird Culture citizen, but Banks didn't want to alienate his readers, so to speak.

While it's totally possible Banks read Tanith's stuff, I suspect they just both decided to tackle the subject of utopia and came to different conclusions. Tanith's utopia was more in the style of Brave New World and seemed to reflect the post-scarce but heavily conformist societies of Earth (everything is definitely perfect, haha, WTF YOU ROCKED THE BOAT AND YOU WILL PAY) whereas the Culture repeatedly ensures that people can do whatever the hell they want as long as they aren't very obviously harming others (and even then there are Orbitals expressly for megalomaniacs to live where they can get their jollies without anyone actually getting hurt). Leaving the Culture or even starting your own splinter civilization is entirely accepted.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Wheeee posted:

Yes with the caveat that you shouldn't start with Consider Phlebas.

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

So basically The Culture is not so much a series, but a bunch of books set in the same universe?

Yes, I don't think there's a single character in common between any of the stories, unless I'm forgetting someone. (Maybe one of the Minds gets mentioned more than once?)

EdBlackadder
Apr 8, 2009
Lipstick Apathy

Hobnob posted:

Yes, I don't think there's a single character in common between any of the stories, unless I'm forgetting someone. (Maybe one of the Minds gets mentioned more than once?)

There are a couple who span a book or two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

EdBlackadder posted:

There are a couple who span a book or two.

And the book or two are set like a thousand years apart :v: