Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Generic vs storebrand needs to be handled on a case vs case basis because "coming from the same place" ignores manufacturing specifications. Sometimes store brand is better. Trader Joes and Costco maintain internal specifications contract manufactures have to meet, and in exchange they get better shelf space for their own product at Aldi's or Costco, or maintain a portfolio of storebrand stuff that some they take a wash on in order to bring in the money on a few valuable ones.

Sometimes store brand is the exact same. Occasionally the manufacturer will approach the chain to get permission to make the storebrand for them, same product, different packaging, but sold for cheaper to capture the cheap market.

Sometimes store brand is the stuff they made on Monday or Friday or didn't quite pass a non-critical aspect quality, so repeat purchase might be peaky or it might be the stuff that looks like a butt but tastes fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce
I can do most store brand stuff that's not pasta or crackers. Pasta can be ok if the amount of durum to semolina is the same as the store brand, but I've been burned (or in the case of pasta, congealed into a starchy mess) too many times and dried pasta is pretty loving cheap anyways.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Sorry, I'm a snob and you'll pry my DOP San Marzano whole tomatoes from my cold dead fingers

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

bringmyfishback posted:

Now listen up, children, Imma tell you some poo poo:

Store brand is frequently the expensive/name-brand poo poo, but repackaged.

I meant that I was sure some of the bacon/maple stuff was okay, and that I like the store brand stuff; those things were meant to be separate :v: I almost always buy store brand things, but thanks for a good post!

We are moving soon and will be a bit closer to wegmans on the bus line so we'll actually be able to buy (store brand) frozen vegetables there without them melting, along with other things, and I love trader joes, too.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

I like PC Mac and Cheese but it's a pain the rear end to get the display resolution just right on a widescreen monitor.

But the mods you can install are good. I like to add sauteed spinach and heirloom tomatoes because for someone who eats boxed mac and cheese I am pretty pretentious.

cash crab has a new favorite as of 20:15 on Apr 13, 2016

TINY T-REX ARMS
Feb 12, 2011

Zipperelli. posted:

I'm legitimately sad for you, that you could be so wrong. It's quite obvious that you've never been to the southern United States and/or never heard of Publix.

Publix shits on your precious Wegman's.

That is all.

Also from Upstate New York. We don't have Publix around here, never been in one before in my life. Had to Google it to figure out what the hell it really is.

They seem like..faaaairly similar chains. Does Publix have the weird cult following that Wegman's does because holy gently caress, Upstate New Yorkers LOVE Wegman's.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

TINY T-REX ARMS posted:

Does Publix have the weird cult following that Wegman's does because holy gently caress, Upstate New Yorkers LOVE Wegman's.

Some random guy on an internet forum decided out of nowhere to tell somebody how much he pities them for not knowing how super great Publix is.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

TINY T-REX ARMS posted:

Also from Upstate New York. We don't have Publix around here, never been in one before in my life. Had to Google it to figure out what the hell it really is.

They seem like..faaaairly similar chains. Does Publix have the weiard cult following that Wegman's does because holy gently caress, Upstate New Yorkers LOVE Wegman's.

I have found that, where I experienced Publix, in the southeast, people love it because the stores are new and clean compared to their alternatives. When all you've had is a Baker's or a Food World (and a Piggly Wiggly for the riff-raff), Publix rolls in all first-world-looking and everyone goes nuts. Oh my god, they serve hot soup at the deli! Oh my god, somebody is mopping the floor! I have to wear shoes here?! Where's the spitoon?! This place is classy!

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

Hold your horses motherfucker. Piggly Wiggly is a real goddamned thing? Holy poo poo.

Pictured below: blueberry muffin soup

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Piggly Wiggly was like the first labeled-items-on-shelves supermarket ever. Like actually revolutionary.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

I totally thought those were pop-culture myths or something. The name is ridiculous.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Number 1 Sexy Dad posted:

I have found that, where I experienced Publix, in the southeast, people love it because the stores are new and clean compared to their alternatives. When all you've had is a Baker's or a Food World (and a Piggly Wiggly for the riff-raff), Publix rolls in all first-world-looking and everyone goes nuts. Oh my god, they serve hot soup at the deli! Oh my god, somebody is mopping the floor! I have to wear shoes here?! Where's the spitoon?! This place is classy!

Some Publix's also have higher end and organic products, as well as fresh meat counters that actually serve nice meats.

Scathach posted:

I totally thought those were pop-culture myths or something. The name is ridiculous.

"Nature's potato, the Potato."

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I fear what Man's potato is.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Scathach posted:

That kids all like "Spoon that fudge bitch, yeah spoon that fudge"

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

zedprime posted:

Generic vs storebrand needs to be handled on a case vs case basis

Yep. Some things are the same, some things are different but you don't care, some things you want the consistently good quality of the name brand.

Aristophanes
Aug 11, 2012

Quickly, bring me a beaker of wine, so that I may wet my mind and say something clever!

Scathach posted:

I wish I could have snorted, wallowed and rolled in a sows trough of chocolatey potato when I was a kid

LoveMeDead
Feb 16, 2011
The people who work at Publix are creepily friendly and helpful. Every time I turn around, there is some smiley person trying to hand me samples or trying to help me find something. I guess it's nice, but I don't want to be social while I shop. Be accessible, but not up my butt all of the time.

First world problems.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

LoveMeDead posted:

The people who work at Publix are creepily friendly and helpful. Every time I turn around, there is some smiley person trying to hand me samples or trying to help me find something. I guess it's nice, but I don't want to be social while I shop. Be accessible, but not up my butt all of the time.

First world problems.

It's largely a loss prevention tactic. They don't want to be that friendly either.

blunt for century
Jul 4, 2008

I've got a bone to pick.

Scathach posted:

"Fudge Nugglets"

"The Sow Trough"

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet
Look at all you motherfuckers who are from Not Texas and haven't experienced the glory of HEB. :3: (everything else about Texas pretty much sucks but HEB is the best grocery store ever and has like 3-4 house brands, all of which are great, even the super-value one for the most part. Also they pay pretty well and don't treat their employees like subhumans so I don't feel bad giving them my money)

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

TheKennedys posted:

Look at all you motherfuckers who are from Not Texas and haven't experienced the glory of HEB. :3: (everything else about Texas pretty much sucks but HEB is the best grocery store ever and has like 3-4 house brands, all of which are great, even the super-value one for the most part. Also they pay pretty well and don't treat their employees like subhumans so I don't feel bad giving them my money)

HEB is a quandary in that if it were a real success it would be sam's club but worse x 1000. Its only strengths are that it is a disorganized lovely mess and sensible mexicans shop there, driving and sustaining the produce section, the only ikea-maze-like area worth a glance.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

HEB is a quandary in that if it were a real success it would be sam's club but worse x 1000. Its only strengths are that it is a disorganized lovely mess and sensible mexicans shop there, driving and sustaining the produce section, the only ikea-maze-like area worth a glance.

gently caress Sam's Club. It's owned by Walmart and Walmart is full of poo poo. They treat their employees badly and their "raising everyone to $10/hr" meant that a ton of people-- me included-- got pay decreases so everyone on the bottom only made $10 and the press reported happy bullshit. Walmart is the worst loving place to work, followed quickly by Target.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Having shopped at both Wegmans and Publix, I can assure you that Wegmans reigns supreme

But enough if this upscale chatter... who here is a dollar store food shopper?

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
Not dollar store, but Big Lots loving owns for food.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Zipperelli. posted:

I'm legitimately sad for you, that you could be so wrong. It's quite obvious that you've never been to the southern United States and/or never heard of Publix.

Publix shits on your precious Wegman's.

That is all.

I've been to Publix and it's pretty good, don't get me wrong, but it would be sublime if if it were 1. Wegman's, and 2. Not located in the South.

OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

I didn't mean to start a derail. Let's post more abominations!

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Thesaurus posted:

Having shopped at both Wegmans and Publix, I can assure you that Wegmans reigns supreme

<embarassedly raises hand while thousand-yard-staring in another direction>

Carbon Thief
Oct 11, 2009

Diamonds aren't the only things that are forever.

Thesaurus posted:

I used to be head cashier at a dollar store. It was kind of depressing seeing the grocery shopping there - our biggest sellers were 2/$1 mac & cheese, 4/$1 ramen, and no-name Spam-type meat. So much sodium. :barf:

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

https://twitter.com/kreeeger/status/720394373507092480

https://twitter.com/weeaboo/status/705904715863891970

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?
Publix is Harris Teeter is Ingles is Wegmans(presumably, only one of those I haven't been in). They all do the same thing. Lots of awesome store brand *and* name brand stuff as well as fresh deli/produce/meat/seafood/whatever.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
The only generic cereal I've ever had problems with has been Cheerios. The generic stuff looks and tastes like they added extra air to make it puffier.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Anyone else of the opinion that store brand Frosted Flakes are better than the Kelloggs kind, if mostly cause Kelloggs under frosts theirs these days to the point where they lose all flavor with 30 seconds of milk touching them

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

drrockso20 posted:

Anyone else of the opinion that store brand Frosted Flakes are better than the Kelloggs kind, if mostly cause Kelloggs under frosts theirs these days to the point where they lose all flavor with 30 seconds of milk touching them

Who would choose to eat any kind of Frosted Flakes when mini wheats are a thing?

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

RandomPauI posted:

The only generic cereal I've ever had problems with has been Cheerios. The generic stuff looks and tastes like they added extra air to make it puffier.

Most generic cereals are made by the Malt O Meal people. Actually, if you've ever eaten cereal in somewhere like a buffet, hospital or hotel you probably also got cereal from MOM Brands because they supply most of the food service industry with generic cereal. Anyways their style of Cheerios is very puffy and crispy, very different from actual cheerios.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

SC Bracer posted:

A means to afp.

My new roommate brought the mac and cheese one when he moved in and I mocked him relentlessly. He used it once and it gave the mac and cheese really shiny appearance and it apparently had an odd aftertaste, possibly because he didn't wash it first.

I do most of the cooking in the house, surprisingly

Aesop Poprock has a new favorite as of 09:49 on Apr 14, 2016

Xen Tricks
Nov 4, 2010

I don't know why kind of trash HEBs you've been in but they're by far the best around here, great selection and also not apparently organized by blind idiots like yours are.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Scathach posted:

The natural goodness of nature's potato, the Potato.

:smith:

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Picnic Princess posted:

I fear what Man's potato is.
"Potato product"

e:

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!

chitoryu12 posted:

Some Publix's also have higher end and organic products, as well as fresh meat counters that actually serve nice meats.

"Nature's potato, the Potato."

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Scathach posted:

Hold your horses motherfucker. Piggly Wiggly is a real goddamned thing? Holy poo poo.
Founded in Memphis!

The last holdout in Memphis is now a CashSaver, which is a "cost plus" grocery store. So everything looks delightfully cheap on the shelves, then they add 10% and then tax on top of that at the register.

still ends up being cheaper for most things and plus they've got a growler bar thing now

TheKennedys posted:

Look at all you motherfuckers who are from Not Texas and haven't experienced the glory of HEB.
those red and green sauces ain't half bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

RandomPauI posted:

is Oat Bake still around? We had to switch to Cracklin Oat Bran after a move and it wasn't nearly as good.