Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
Only got a little time to post, places to be

Tanking Sucks/Polsy

New story: Fallout

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

dscruffy1 posted:

New story: Fallout

So I haven't watched the video yet, but imo there's already enough talk about bat legacy and batman being weird to his subordinates/metaphorical children without him searching for his future son. I disapprove.

Where is Gotham supposed to be anyway? In this game it's small enough to be a Boston-like, frankly.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
RIP random Penguin thug's jewels.

I have to wonder why Penguin doesn't just have a second safehouse for his guns instead of having everyone go to the dropoff point the second they think Batman is gone.

Like, seriously, this has happened twice now and they still haven't learned.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

I think much like City this game takes place in a small area of Gotham itself. As far as I can tell these three Islands are meant to be the centre of Gotham, which is why GCPD central and Wayne Tower and the Cinemas are all here but other buildings can be seen in the distance, Wayne Manor for example is off in the distance somewhere. There's more city on the other side of the major bridges off the islands that have been shut down due to the evacuation. I'm guessing they've also evacuated the surrounding area but this was the first done because it's where the first attack occurred.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

jfc Batman during that second fear takedown I have never cringed so hard at anything in the Arkham games so much as what happened to that last guy's arm. Agh. :gonk:

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

God drat there are TWO more weapon caches to do? They really pad this game out.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Doctor Reynolds posted:

God drat there are TWO more weapon caches to do? They really pad this game out.

When I saw the militia stronghold and bomb disarm meters I groaned out loud. At least Riddler padding has you doing different things.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

There are a lot of sidequests in this game. I have no idea why some have so many parts to them. The murder mystery is interesting and has a payoff. Tackling Man-Bat three times is just unnecessary.

Albu-quirky Guy
Nov 8, 2005

Still stuck in the Land of Entrapment
Gotham is an analog to NYC. Metropolis is Washington, DC.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Does the Batmobile's auto cannon fire beanbag rounds now or something? Or have we just given up on the non-lethal pretense by this point and are firing 25mm rounds at people point blank? I guess it's probably a faster death than the beatings, electrocutions, maulings and heart attacks we've been meting out so far.

Albu-quirky Guy posted:

I've always found it to be a cross between NYC and Chicago, both of which were rife with organized crime and corruption through the early 1900's.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Albu-quirky Guy posted:

Gotham is New York at night and Metropolis is New York during the day.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

JT Jag posted:

To be fair Gotham is " Manhattan below Fourteenth Street at eleven minutes past midnight on the coldest night in November"

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Does the Batmobile's auto cannon fire beanbag rounds now or something? Or have we just given up on the non-lethal pretense by this point and are firing 25mm rounds at people point blank? I guess it's probably a faster death than the beatings, electrocutions, maulings and heart attacks we've been meting out so far.

I've always found it to be a cross between NYC and Chicago, both of which were rife with organized crime and corruption through the early 1900's.

Yes, when it was first introduced, the Batmobile said that it will autoswitch between lethal and nonlethal stuff depending on what it's aiming at.

Crigit
Sep 6, 2011

I'll show you my naval if you show me yours.
Let's get naut'y.

Psychotic Weasel posted:

A smaller version of these, presumably https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QsotLNuv0mo

Edit: Now with dumb soldiers shooting each other on a bet action! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZL1n7bfiY4

Crigit fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Apr 14, 2016

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

rotinaj posted:

Yes, when it was first introduced, the Batmobile said that it will autoswitch between lethal and nonlethal stuff depending on what it's aiming at.

That's convenient. I must have forgotten after all this time.

Are we sure it's not Mr. Fox just bullshitting Batman because he doesn't really care and can't be bothered coming up with another solution though?

"Yes Mr. Wayne, the weapon has the latest in magical Wayne-tech technology that lets it automatically differentiate between a person and something else while switching between ammo types instantaneously. No, the geyser of blood you're seeing is a perfectly normal and non-lethal side effect. Yes, it works perfectly well in conjunction with the electrical field the gently zaps and moves pedestrians out of harms way, it's totally capable of allowing people to survive being slammed into by a 5 ton armoured car going 70mph. Have a good night Mr. Wayne."

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Octatonic posted:

Where is Gotham supposed to be anyway? In this game it's small enough to be a Boston-like, frankly.

JT Jag posted:

DC really goes out of their way to avoid putting a definite location on any of their big fictional cities to avoid nerds whining about inconsistencies (and to cover whenever writers gently caress up and change it whenever they want) and to make sure they can be amalgamations of all sorts of other real life big cities. At last check, Metropolis is in New York, but New York City does exist, so New York just has two really big cities, and Gotham is in New Jersey, which explains why it's so lovely heyoooooo.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Apr 14, 2016

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
I thought blüdhaven was Newark?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

bunnyofdoom posted:

It's not that bad.

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Gotham is Vancouver.

EDIT: http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2014/06/26/vancouver-tim-burton-gotham-city-batman_n_5534144.html

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

TwoPair posted:

DC really goes out of their way to avoid putting a definite location on any of their big fictional cities to avoid nerds whining about inconsistencies (and to cover whenever writers gently caress up and change it whenever they want) and to make sure they can be amalgamations of all sorts of other real life big cities. At last check, Metropolis is in New York, but New York City does exist, so New York just has two really big cities, and Gotham is in New Jersey, which explains why it's so lovely heyoooooo.
At one point Gotham was apparently situated in New Jersey on the Delaware Bay. And then Metropolis was across the bay in Delaware, about where Lewes is.

The locals would probably be proud for DC recognizing them if they didn't already know that placing cities in those specific locations is patent nonsense on account of the population sparsity and relative lack of road access. (There's a reason "Lower Slower" is a Delaware phrase.)

Necroskowitz
Jan 20, 2011
I dunno why all these crooks seem so upbeat about living in Gotham. They pretty much all have to work for ruthless and/or crazy assholes.

Penguin is pretty much the best bet, I suppose. Sure he's a murderous, petulant egomaniac. But so is everyone else and at least he won't kill you because you got unlucky on a coin flip or were the punchline to a joke.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Also Penguin is mostly just an organized crime guy and corrupt businessman. He doesn't really plan to blow up the world or anything, he just wants power and influence in the city. Penguin isn't actually that crazy, he's just a mobster.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Night10194 posted:

Penguin isn't actually that crazy

I mean, he's crazy enough to rip out a guy's eyes and throw him onto a freeway.

That's just apparently not considered Arkham Asylum crazy by Gotham's standards. :v:

I do like that comic where Penguin just is like "Have him brought." when people piss him off, and he basically just sits them down later and tells them how he destroyed their lives.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
My best guess on several of the grindier sidequests is that they were developed as concepts, then for whatever reason weren't fully fleshed out. The problem of a number of them (especially the Man-Bat, Penguin and Two-Face ones) is that there's almost zero sense of progression or change between individual instances of the mission. At least with the batmobile sidequests and the various "take back the city" things there's variations in location, number and difficulty of enemies.

If I had to guess, I'd say that some of the sidequests were victims of the overworld map design- it was hard to develop spaces that could do transition-free loading smoothly and wouldn't conflict with batmobile systems. The footprint of batmobile-based design makes it borderline impossible to have conventional batmanny activities at ground level in much of the city.

The other problems of conventional predator and combat environments seem to be twofold:

First, new enemy types are heavily frontloaded in their order of introduction throughout the game- and several of the enemy types that made predator and combat rooms more difficult in previous games (armored and shield enemies particularly) are rare or nonexistent. Once we're near the endgame I might do an effortpost comparing enemy types between the games in the series. The Watchtower militia are, mechanically speaking, actually really underpowered compared with, say, Penguin's gang in previous games.

Second, Batman is simply overpowered-he has the tools to trivialize pretty much all enemy configurations in the game before you even start getting the ability to take down brutes instantly, or five enemies in a row. The result is that even when you encounter new predator or combat enemies, you're already able to completely nullify them without having to change your tactics in any significant way.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Apr 14, 2016

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

bunnyofdoom posted:

Actually, is there a reason why it's named like a trash metal band?

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

anilEhilated posted:

Actually, is there a reason why it's named like a trash metal band?

Because it was created in the 90s.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Maybe it was founded by Eastern European vampire immigrants? I'd believe that explanation for the name, but having just checked it was actually a small whaling town that tried to up-size into a manufacturing and shipping city and failed to really make that work, so crime grew. It's suggested that the reason it's worse is because in Bludhaven the rich are where most of the crime starts and it sort of trickles down ruining the city. Also they didn't have anyone like Gordon to clean up the police corruption so it still primarily exists until Nightwing starts working on it compared to Gordon already working hard to clean up GCPD when Batman starts being a vigilante.

Back to the name though I guess it comes from all the blood that whaling presumably left around, I don't actually know much about whaling.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I mean, he's crazy enough to rip out a guy's eyes and throw him onto a freeway.

how is that crazy for a mob boss

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

You're right. Disregard that.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Octatonic posted:

So I haven't watched the video yet, but imo there's already enough talk about bat legacy and batman being weird to his subordinates/metaphorical children without him searching for his future son. I disapprove.

It's New York by night and Metropolis is New York by day.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
So, I know we're down to the last APC, but is there a Batmobile upgrade that will make your lock-on faster, or make the missiles hit harder? Seems like there should be.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

CzarChasm posted:

So, I know we're down to the last APC, but is there a Batmobile upgrade that will make your lock-on faster, or make the missiles hit harder? Seems like there should be.

Idk the big offender seems to be the way you lose lock for hitting the smallest of bumps, even if you're still pointed at them. If they had made you keep lock better those chases look like they'd be hella easier.

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

CzarChasm posted:

Actually, I don't think there is. While there are two categories of car upgrades, they are both focused on the tank. It would only be good for this series of side missions anyway. People have talked about how the constant march of upgrades makes the game have a wonky difficulty curve, but we can see the other side of that coin a bit with the Batmobile; the drat thing has very few upgrades and makes using it more of a chore since you are fundamentally doing the same thing ad nauseum.

I seriously think it would be cool if the game gave you tools to turn the tank sections into something akin to predator challenges. It would let them mix up the gameplay while also adding the possibility of more varied interactions with several submissions. Take the militia lieutenants, a couple of them could go to ground in a big area with RPG armed guys on the roofs with backup, tanks on the ground, and a roadblock. Then you could either brute force it with the car, or you could take it methodically on foot, or you could combine the two to whatever degree you were comfortable with.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

There are a few nitro boost upgrades, including one that does damage to vehicles if you ram them from behind, although that last thing might not actually be an upgrade.

Espresso Steampunk
Sep 27, 2008
I'm not familiar with the mechanics of the game, but is it possible to use the remote hacking device without being in detective mode? I'm curious about what a non-skeleton would look like, tumbling down an escalator.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Espresso Steampunk posted:

I'm not familiar with the mechanics of the game, but is it possible to use the remote hacking device without being in detective mode? I'm curious about what a non-skeleton would look like, tumbling down an escalator.
It is possible but not advised since the targeting is a bit wonky when there's more than one thing it can be used on and you don't see the highlights.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

CzarChasm posted:

When you take out all of the support cars, APCs take like double damage from missiles.

Not sure if that saves very much time but hey.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
Time to wrap up some sidequests. Like APCs!

The Dent Fixer/Polsy

New bios: Batgirl, Harley Quinn

New story: The Trap

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
drat Batman. That interrogation at the start of the video was dark.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Obviously the Riddler tricked YOU into revealing who Batgirl is.

• Locked thread