Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Favorite arc?
The Hunter Exam
Heaven's Arena
Yorknew City
Greed Island
The Chimera Ants
The 13th Hunter Chairman Election
View Results

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Hunter x Hunter has some way gorier scenes than anything I remember in FMA, but it has been like 10 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I just finished a rewatch of Brotherhood a few days ago and it has plenty of more mature scenes than I think most people remember. Plenty of the horrors of war scenes are really dark and unflinching. I think Bad Seafood has nailed it though in that Hunter X Hunter tends to have more disturbing scenes. The only comparable scene in Brotherhood is the flashback to Edward crying in front of the Trisha abomination.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
FMA's a series I like to reread from time to time (and since I know somebody will mention this, yes, I'm still planning on hosting that Let's Read for it sometime this year), so I remember it pretty well. It gets pretty heavy, for sure, but it's still a very human tale grounded in a certain amount of emotional realism. This isn't to say HxH isn't "Human," but it definitely shows more delight in playing up the darkness of its world, the implications of which are far less relenting.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Unless Netflix added new episodes, they don't have the Chimera Ant stuff so the age rating for their episodes is going to be lower.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
The Yorknew City arc might be a tad violent and kind of a sudden tone shift but I think if a 12 year old can handle FMA he can probably handle that well enough. It's mostly the stuff involving Uvogin, with occasional moments here and there with others. Greed Island is a nice little refresher arc after that. Once you get to Chimera Ant things start to get pretty grim. It goes through a few different mood shifts over the course of it with the last 1/3 or so being mostly about the strength or fragility of the human psyche across an array of different characters in different incredibly stressful situations. Which seems a little heady for a 12 year old, but hey, maybe he's into that.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
I think there is also quite a different between the manga and the anime. The art shift and the black and white give a lot of scenes a much more mature atmosphere in the manga, imo.

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013
Unless he's particularly sensitive I think 12 years old is enough to handle this show.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Did Viz ever collect the post-Chairman Election stuff in physical form? HxH is one of those series where occasionally I feel like a professional quality translation would help me make sense of the details even if I catch the basic gist of it.

Level Seven
Feb 14, 2013

Wubba dubba dubba
that blew.

Megamarm
I think the last chapter of the physical releases ended with the Zodiacs being told their next job was to capture Beyond.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Rangpur posted:

Did Viz ever collect the post-Chairman Election stuff in physical form? HxH is one of those series where occasionally I feel like a professional quality translation would help me make sense of the details even if I catch the basic gist of it.

Just digital from what I remember. I don't think there are enough chapters to put into a tank. Ironically 10 chapters seems to be the target number and there are only 9 chapters in the post-election arc so far. They are available in digital format though.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Gyges posted:

Unless Netflix added new episodes, they don't have the Chimera Ant stuff so the age rating for their episodes is going to be lower.

As someone who is watching the series right now on Netflix I can assure that they include the Chimera Ant arc or at least the start of it.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Rangpur posted:

Not in physical form no. There is a sale right now for the 9 volumes of WSJ that had the chapters in them though. $6 for the 9 magazines.
http://www.vizmanga.com/bundle/118
Japan hasn't actually collected those chapters yet either as far as I know so I don't expect Viz will until that happens.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
So we know the manga's coming back. Do we know when?

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

MonsterEnvy posted:

So we know the manga's coming back. Do we know when?

With "this weeks" release. So thursday or the weekend.

TheComicFiend
Oct 4, 2013

Let's Survive
It'll also be up on the official weekly english release on Monday, around... noon? I usually don't get the email until around 3pm but I know it's already up before that.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

TheComicFiend posted:

It'll also be up on the official weekly english release on Monday, around... noon? I usually don't get the email until around 3pm but I know it's already up before that.

It comes up right around 1pm EST

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Ok thats cool. The Manga's coming back and the series is coming to Toonami it's a nice week to be a hunter fan.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012
Who wants to start taking bets on how long it's going to last this time.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

My money's on another full volume, then silence.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

I'm guessing 2 chapters--enough to collect in a print volume, plus an extra so they can advertsie it as an "extra-long special edition."

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Bad Seafood posted:

My money's on another full volume, then silence.

But right now it is one chapter short of another volume. Don't jinx it!

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Asuron posted:

Who wants to start taking bets on how long it's going to last this time.
We talking uninterrupted releases? I give him until mid summer before he pulls a Miura and goes on hiatus for a season. .

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

So maybe 11 chapters?

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

alkanphel posted:

So maybe 11 chapters?

That's cute. You're cute

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
In something amazing he never goes on Hiatus again.

Ahh if only

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Two chapters of Dark Continent, six chapters of filler/side story, then see you in 2018.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

6 chapters of killua and alluka would be sick as hell actually

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Alpha Kenny Juan posted:

Two chapters of Dark Continent, six chapters of filler/side story, then see you in 2018.

Such starry eyed optimism.

I'm limiting my expectations to half a chapter consisting almost entirely of rough scribbles and ending on the technical achievement of an actual, audible, fart sound on the last page. Then no new chapters for 3 years.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I want to find out what the gently caress was ever up with Jairo. There was never any need at all to characterize the leader of NGL that some of the ants remember and he never actually shows up in the story, yet IIRC he had a whole chapter of backstory.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Ytlaya posted:

I want to find out what the gently caress was ever up with Jairo. There was never any need at all to characterize the leader of NGL that some of the ants remember and he never actually shows up in the story, yet IIRC he had a whole chapter of backstory.

Well Gyro showed up walking away from the Queens service as an ant the first one to do so. It was said he was going to Meteor City to start rebuilding. Welfin, Hina and Bizeff are heading there to join up with him as well.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

I don't care about that guy and honestly wouldn't mind if it never got brought up again, though I suppose it'll have to be.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Bad Seafood posted:

I don't care about that guy and honestly wouldn't mind if it never got brought up again, though I suppose it'll have to be.

You might not care about Gyro but Gyro cares about you.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

i hope hisoka gets on the boat

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Stairmaster posted:

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Stairmaster posted:

I'd rather he stay off this adventure because he has a tendency to steal the show and this is Leorio/Kurapika power hour.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I hope he stays out of the adventure but there's a side story going on at the same time and he steals the show from a continent away anyway.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

I hope Hisoka helps try to get Gon his poo poo back

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
In a surprising twist, it turns out that Hisoka doesn't see people who aren't potential morsels and keeps looking for Gon but can't see him anymore because his Nen is dead.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

I'd like to see Hisoka & Illumi doing some side-hijinks in this Dark Continent arc as the new Gon/Killua pair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

I just want the bodyguards to be Phantom Troupe members so we can actually continue that whole plot