Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.
Man Mound Makers is so fun. I love the tension that comes with finding your ally/opponent and staring each other down before someone makes the first move.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Domattee posted:

No we're back to Dark Souls 1 matchmaking were only people who are human can be invaded. Since people generally only go human to summon others that currently means it'll be 3 or even 4 versus you. The Fun Police might join in on the fun too!

Don't worry though in a couple months when the game isn't full of people playing through it and putting their signs down it'll become just as toxic for co-op as DS ended up being. To this day you still can't be human in the Undead Parish without some black flame spamming motherfucker invading you.

"Toxic for co-op" lol

Nevermind that you can't really make twinks in this game so even if that were true that wouldn't be the case here.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
i just got to the road of sacrifies, how far am I away from being able to join rosaria's fingers?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

What's up with the friendly skeleton??

He's got a cute hat.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!

Eonwe posted:

i just got to the road of sacrifies, how far am I away from being able to join rosaria's fingers?

The area after the one you're in.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Hahahahaha I just entered a world as a wolf/swampbro that was utter chaos. There was the host, a white defender, a blue cop, two red invaders, and two wolfbros all just going at it. poo poo gets all wonky when there's so many people too- I as a wolfyswampybro could attack all the NPCs, and all the NPCs reacted to me like I was a "good" player, but killing them netted 0 souls. The red invaders/other wolfbros were in the same boat, and most of them died to the giant enemy crabs. I hunted down the host and died right as I killed them. It was nuts!!

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Sultan Tarquin posted:

The area after the one you're in.

Cool it's unlimited invasions right?

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Im trying to make a miracle woman as my first character, when are all these points in faith actually going to start paying dividends? Right now I'm just smacking things with my dark axe, would like to cast something that actually hurts for once.

i don't think you're the right build for that. miracles are mostly healing / buffing. there's some lightning spells, but none of them are before the midpoint of the game (that i know how to get). you probably want to do sorcery or pyro if you want to be a zappy shooty woman.

BlackFrost posted:

So is it just impossible to invade someone if they're by themselves? I don't summon much and haven't been invaded a single time. I just tried to invade five times and each time was against a team of three people, which isn't even remotely fun.

right now it's really unlikely for a lot of reasons. you have to be human (or embered or whatever) to be an invasion target, and right now the only people who are consciously doing that are either doing it on purpose to co-op with friends, or they're doing it because they can't beat something solo and so again they're looking for help. on top of that, the matchmaking is setup to assign invaders to other games with more people before it gives you over to a solo player, so the odds of you getting the drop on someone without at least one buddy is low.

give the game a week or two to die down in popularity? right now almost everyone is low level, so it's trivial to find low level help, and if you're doing low level invasions you're also going to run into a lot of 3v1 scenarios.

i'm still trying to figure out what the non-antagonistic purpose of team pound mound is. you can't help with bosses, and unless the person seeing your summon sign is truly playing the game with no outside info, they either have no reason to summon you, or no reason not to just immediately jump you once you're summoned.

BlackFrost
Feb 6, 2008

Have you figured it out yet?

Domattee posted:

No we're back to Dark Souls 1 matchmaking were only people who are human can be invaded. Since people generally only go human to summon others that currently means it'll be 3 or even 4 versus you. The Fun Police might join in on the fun too!

Don't worry though in a couple months when the game isn't full of people playing through it and putting their signs down it'll become just as toxic for co-op as DS ended up being. To this day you still can't be human in the Undead Parish without some black flame spamming motherfucker invading you.

I did invade someone who had another invader in with a Fun Policeman. That one was actually kinda fun! I ran in just in time to help the fellow red phantom and we all took turns darting at each other to try to get some hits in.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Alright so I just killed the lava boss from Super Metroid and now the game is whining about me not having a doll. Is there somewhere in the game I can talk to that would give me a clue as to what the hell that means? Failing that, can someone spoil me on what to do next?

Escape_GOAT
May 20, 2004

When I grow up, I want to be an Abyss Watcher. :stare:

Dudes are bad as gently caress.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
This game is loving crazy on the multiplayer.

I got a warrior of sunlight to help me out on the Undead Settlement start. A red guy invades me in the middle of the courtyard, a blue cop shows up and it's three against one. As customary for a red, you let others pull mobs to even the odds. It didn't help though. Just noticed the invader had the Lucatiel armor, so i'm pretty hyped to get that soon.

After all is said and done and we clear the mobs, Sunlight fellow helps me get the actual Sunlight covenant item and I learn about estus soups. A lot of clearing happens and I get invaded just before I reach the Dilapidated bridge. Sunlight fellow gave his life protecting me from the purple phantom with dual caesti. I got parried with my halberd charge by this guy and he does the classic haymaker while i'm on my knees animation. Blue cop invades in the middle of this last fight, and kills the invader just after he finishes the animation on the parry.

While processing what just took place, I look around and see the dilapidated bridge bonfire. I hightail the gently caress out of there after setting the bonfire to cash in my souls.

I've never had that much poo poo take place in any Dark Souls I played.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Carl Seitan posted:

When I grow up, I want to be an Abyss Watcher. :stare:

Dudes are bad as gently caress.

Yo.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

The Rokstar posted:

Alright so I just killed the lava boss from Super Metroid and now the game is whining about me not having a doll. Is there somewhere in the game I can talk to that would give me a clue as to what the hell that means? Failing that, can someone spoil me on what to do next?

cathedral

tell me where to get that armor :o

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

Eonwe posted:

Cool it's unlimited invasions right?

Technically you can get the full red eye orb without ever going to that area.

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost
Either something really loving weird just happened, or there's been some major mechanic change around bonfires. I just got killed by a combo of an enemy plus a mound-maker invader (who just instantly attacked me...sigh), and when I respawned, I was at a bonfire that I had never lit or rested at. My last bonfire was the first one in Undead Settlement, and this one is apparently the second, but I've never seen it before. I'll have to load the game back up and see if I can figure out where I am.

I had a Ring of Sacrifice equipped, since I had a shitload of souls--maybe they work differently now? :confused:

Edit: Oh, okay, it's a bonfire right after the gate? Somehow I got distracted and walked right past it without seeing it, but I spawned at it anyway?

Harrow posted:

I feel like I'm handicapping by not using a straight sword or the Uchigatana. Are there any good-for-PvE weapons other than those in the first half of the game? Everything else I've tried (granted I'm more of a Dex build) just doesn't seem to have the moveset to deal with the fast, aggressive, high-poise enemies.
I've been thrashing the poo poo out of things with just the regular dagger. It has a great skill (quick juke/dash), but more importantly it hits super quickly and doesn't use a lot of stamina, so you can just stunlock a lot of enemies to death (and backstabs/crits are brutal). I only have it at +2 and I'm only up to Undead Settlement, but I'm pretty happy with it. I tried the uchi, but it just felt kind of slow and weird after the dagger.

Vikar Jerome posted:

This game is harder than my first time playing ds1 where i spent hours in the graveyard because i was dumb. ds2 has softened me up way too much.

enemy tracking is insane. its loving great.
For some reason DS3 seems slightly easier to me than 2. I'm not sure why (and I played 2 a few hours last week, so I don't think it's just from playing Bloodborne in between the two...?

Internet Kraken posted:

Wonder how all those people that complained about DS2 having too many enemies feel about 3, cause it has way more in the average encounter than either 1 or 2.
It really depends on how you play. I generally go really slow (if people were watching me they'd probably shoot themselves), and I haven't had much trouble kiting a single enemy rather than having to fight an X-on-1. Even places where it's set up for an ambush (like that one spot right before you open up the shortcut on the High Wall) you can just back up or back off a bit and you can usually get the closest dude to continue being aggro while the rest of them wander off in confusion. If you have any kind of ranged ability--even just a lovely unupgraded bow--you can pull single dudes too.

BlackFrost posted:

So is it just impossible to invade someone if they're by themselves? I don't summon much and haven't been invaded a single time. I just tried to invade five times and each time was against a team of three people, which isn't even remotely fun.
Nah. I was just invaded by a mound maker and it was 1-on-1. I even had the loving Blue Covenant thing equipped, and no one showed up. :(

aas Bandit fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Apr 14, 2016

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Technically you can get the full red eye orb without ever going to that area.

Oh gently caress there's a full red eye orb in this????

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

killstealing posted:

tell me where to get that armor :o

Shrine Handmaiden sells it after you beat them.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I do not like the Cathedral of the Deep, not one tiny loving bit. The whole outside zone is just one huge mob rush and this isn't loving Bloodborne, From, I don't have the toolset for this.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

a cop posted:

yes and you can get it easily as well, talk to a suspicious guy inside the shrine

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Shrine Handmaiden sells it after you beat them.

I didn't even notice, awesome

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

killstealing posted:

yes and you can get it easily as well, talk to a suspicious guy inside the shrine

I talked to the guy who gives you 5 cracked red eyes but then he disappeared...what triggers the one who gives you the full!?

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
By the way I like how the Halberd is reverted to the Dark souls 1 moveset, and I pretty much tore every non-player enemy apart with patience with that thing

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

a cop posted:

Hella man.

At firelink there will be a guy leaning against the big throne, he'll give you 5 cracked red orbs. He'll disappear until you get a tongue which can be found in undead settlement, cathedral or from sucessfully killing a host. Then he'll give you a key for the door at the bottom of the tower at the second bonfire on the wall. There's a darkwraith down it who drops the orb.

Harrow posted:

I do not like the Cathedral of the Deep, not one tiny loving bit. The whole outside zone is just one huge mob rush and this isn't loving Bloodborne, From, I don't have the toolset for this.

There was a lot of cursing.

Orv
May 4, 2011

a cop posted:

I talked to the guy who gives you 5 cracked red eyes but then he disappeared...what triggers the one who gives you the full!?

Beat the tree boss, get a pale tongue, he'll be back.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

a cop posted:

Talk to the guy leaning on the middle throne in Firelink. I think he gives you the key? You need a key to enter a lift in the first area, Lothric, where you go down and fight one of those guys who also appear in the swamp.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Is Farron's Keep the place in the swamp guarded by two assholes?

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Orv posted:

Beat the tree boss, get a pale tongue, he'll be back.

I beat the tree boss but I don't have a pale tongue (assuming it's under key items) so what the!!

codo27 posted:

Talk to the guy leaning on the middle throne in Firelink. I think he gives you the key? You need a key to enter a lift in the first area, Lothric, where you go down and fight one of those guys who also appear in the swamp.

I talked to him, he gave me 5 cracked red eye orbs and I haven't seen him since, no key. Double what the...

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

a cop posted:

I beat the tree boss but I don't have a pale tongue (assuming it's under key items) so what the!!

I talked to him, he gave me 5 cracked red eye orbs and I haven't seen him since, no key. Double what the...

Pale Tongue is gotten in the other part of the Undead Settlement where the fire demon is.

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
So... I'm getting a crash where the video-card stops sending image to the monitor, I can still hear windows stuff. I checked the log from gpu-z and the temperature is never higher than 65, can a game crash like this ? Or is it a hardware thing ? Didn't find this error playing other games yet (only played Dota 2 and DS3 this week). I'll try to run 3DMark to see if it crashes with high load.

Anyone had anything like this ever happen ?

Log of the final moments by gpu-z:
http://paste.ofcode.org/vAqVXmEMR7aaZGGCQKzdzb

Miss Mowcher fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Apr 14, 2016

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Knife run is proving to be pretty fun! A lot of things are more susceptible to bleed than imagined and surfing through the swamp makes Farron Keep a breeze. Can't wait to start getting better numbers (and a bleed infuse) so I can run the twin daggers properly

On the other hand, phase two of the Abyss Watchers is proving a lot harder than I thought it would

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Cinara posted:

To quote one of the helpful signs before him. Try Equipment Damage.

Or more specifically, break his three bracelets.
Thanks for the tip. After a few tries (and figuring out that the easiest way to avoid his breath is just to get close) I managed to down him.

Also I love seeing friendly fire from the occasional enemy when it pops up. I was in the room with the Taurus Demon and had been smacked around by the altered moveset a few times. At some point I noticed that the skeletons were attacking him, but couldn't find a way to make use of them. Then I checked the chest in the room, and promptly had my face devoured because it turned out to be a mimic. ...And then I put two and two together, and the next time around tricked the miniboss into hitting the mimic. Comedy ensued!

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Doing a Dex/Int build; boss soul spoilers Crystal Hail or Sage's Rapier?

If the spell sucks I'll get the sword, if the sword sucks I'll get the spell for cheevin or w/e

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
So where exactly is the cage guy you have to enter to join the Mound Makers? I've found this talking cage hollow that tells me about him. That guy owns, I like his voice. But for the life of me I can't find the cage I enter.
EDIT: I looked up where to find him and he wasn't there. Does he only spawn in online mode? Maybe he randomly fell off a cliff? Well guess I'm going to have to join the covenant the other way.

Nuebot fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Apr 14, 2016

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

All this time I had no idea you can do the back stab thing to their face after breaking their guard. Tell me this is a new thing in this game

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Zombies' Downfall posted:

If the spell sucks I'll get the sword, if the sword sucks I'll get the spell for cheevin or w/e

Sword is great and hilarious for stunlocking, spell is meh.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

codo27 posted:

All this time I had no idea you can do the back stab thing to their face after breaking their guard. Tell me this is a new thing in this game

Not a new thing.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Pale Tongue is gotten in the other part of the Undead Settlement where the fire demon is.

Huh...not ringing a bell but I'm way beyond there so I guess i'll just look up a guide.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Sultan Tarquin posted:

There was a lot of cursing.

Yep, pretty much exactly what happened to me.

I feel like they just designed a lot of these enemies and levels for Bloodborne, realized it was Dark Souls, and sped the character up just a little bit but not enough. I feel like I'm at a disconnect with how the game wants to be played.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Zombies' Downfall posted:

Spell's bad, rapier's pretty solid, and it's the earliest drop rate boosting piece of gear you can get (boosts item find by 50).

Harrow posted:

Yep, pretty much exactly what happened to me.

I feel like they just designed a lot of these enemies and levels for Bloodborne, realized it was Dark Souls, and sped the character up just a little bit but not enough. I feel like I'm at a disconnect with how the game wants to be played.

Git gud? I rarely had trouble with the crowds on my first playthrough. If anything the most difficult are the single tough encounters like the frost knights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Harrow posted:

Haha, wait till you get to the loving ninja skeletons and skeleton giants that loving turn invisible as they charge you.