Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Nonexistence posted:

Lawthread! I need insider protips on how to drink coffee like a champ! Give me your daily regimes, optimized for 1) maximum wakefulness during productive times 2) no inopportune bathroom breaks during meetings/court/class/depositions 3) lower acidity alternatives like tea that won't corrode your organs as you go through your never ending quest to shift the paradigms and catch the big fish

Mate.

You might want to get accustomed in your off-time beforehand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Randler posted:

Mate.

You might want to get accustomed in your off-time beforehand.

If he got up 15 minutes earlier, he could either make coffee or bill more.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
http://canlii.ca/t/gp9z0

Mr. Hanoski testified in his own defence. When asked to state his name for the purpose of being sworn he said, “My name is Randy, man of the family of Hanoski, beneficiary of the trust and the natural person.”

I really could read these all day.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Government lawyer: some mother fucker tried to make me work after 3 today.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
"Eventually, and after the above conversation occurs, Mr. Hanoski is removed from the vehicle by the officers, without the accused’s co-operation."

lol.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Do you not have a union to handle that poo poo for you?
loving texas man.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Sure the job is lovely, but on the other hand you don't have to do it!

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord
I've been drinking black coffee since I was 10 years old. (True story) The trick is to constantly drink it all day but stop around 5:30.

If you need extra pick-me-up, brew a pot then use the brewed pot as the water for a second pot. :cheers:

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

nm posted:

This is the government law option.

I also lovingly make one perfect pourover at work with single orgin beans, a pretty decent burr grinder, etc. It takes like 10 minutes, but I stretch it to like 20 because why not and then spend some time drinking good coffee and browsing SA.

Seriously, why do you idiots still work in private practice? I even still get stuff done, without the bill bill bill bullshit working smarter not harder actually pays off, because if I get my poo poo done no one cares that i only "billed" 2 hours not 10 hours that day.

In-house could be good as well. Our output (patent prosecution) is tracked, but not by hours so efficiency is the only metric, effectively. Workload is relatively light and we can always outsource most of the prosecution grunt work to local agents if things get crazy.

I get by with plenty of sleep and just drink water throughout the day, with a smoothie in the morning to kick things off.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

Roger_Mudd posted:

I've been drinking black coffee since I was 10 years old. (True story) The trick is to constantly drink it all day but stop around 5:30.

If you need extra pick-me-up, brew a pot then use the brewed pot as the water for a second pot. :cheers:

I've never heard of this but I'm doing it tomorrow

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

I'm bad with money and you have an avatar!

terrorist ambulance posted:

http://canlii.ca/t/gp9z0

Mr. Hanoski testified in his own defence. When asked to state his name for the purpose of being sworn he said, “My name is Randy, man of the family of Hanoski, beneficiary of the trust and the natural person.”

I really could read these all day.

Standing request at my firm is that if a sov cit ever shows up then I get to be on the file.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.
I like to wash down caffeine pills with a monster because I have no regards for my health

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

olylifter posted:

Standing request at my firm is that if a sov cit ever shows up then I get to be on the file.

Just be sure to screen them a bit. It'd be OK to have a guy who talks a bit of poo poo and then gets zapped by p barnes if he gets too crazy, but some of these guys are actual militia characters. It's all fun and games and fringed flags until a nail bomb gets sent to your address for service

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

I deal with sovs all the time and trust me, you don't want to be anywhere near them.
Yeah, all you have to do to make the case go away is yell "No jurisdiction!" at arraignment. Why didn't I think of that? My case load would melt away!

Then they write a letter to the governor trying to get you fired.

tau
Mar 20, 2003

Sigillum Universitatis Kansiensis
I grind my own coffee beans from a local coffeeshop and use an Aeropress.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Tokelau All Star posted:

I deal with sovs all the time and trust me, you don't want to be anywhere near them.
Yeah, all you have to do to make the case go away is yell "No jurisdiction!" at arraignment. Why didn't I think of that? My case load would melt away!

Then they write a letter to the governor trying to get you fired.

Wait, why are you dealing with them.
We had a great way to deal with sovcits: "Your honor, he wants to go pro se."

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

tau posted:

I grind my own coffee beans from a local coffeeshop and use an Aeropress.

And now I want to try aero pressing a cup, then using that as the base coffee for a second aero press.

Maybe at 8 AM tomorrow so I'll have time to burn off the caffeine before a 2 AM bedtime.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

nm posted:

Sometimes it takes a client interview before we get to that point.

Gleri
Mar 10, 2009
Sovereign citizens are good for a laugh up until their plan doesn't work, they get aggressive and have to be pepper sprayed by the sheriff.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

nm posted:

At least in the criminal world, there are scholars who have suggested that we should revoke the right of self representation for the sovcits.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Mr. Nice! posted:

At least in the criminal world, there are scholars who have suggested that we should revoke the right of self representation for the sovcits.

Talk about proof that the illuminati are in control...we figure out their secret rules and they change the game on us! Everything is rigged!

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Gleri posted:

Sovereign citizens are good for a laugh up until when their plan doesn't work, they get aggressive and have to be pepper sprayed by the sheriff.

ftfy

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Their plans work fantastic in civil court where all they want is to delay the proceedings and the judges let them and it's a freaking joke

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Talk about proof that the illuminati are in control...we figure out their secret rules and they change the game on us! Everything is rigged!

Hopefully we can get them into a mental health program over incarceration. More and more sovcits are being targeted directly by various laws to deal with their chicanery.

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Alas, our kitten class attack ships were no match for their mighty chairs

Mr. Nice! posted:

Court ordered fitness assessment.

Emanuel Collective
Jan 16, 2008

by Smythe

Zarkov Cortez posted:

That's been tried. They almost always come back as competent, because unwavering belief in an insane ideology isn't, by itself, grounds for incompetence.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

That would violate PD's 8th amendment rights.
Also sovcits are basically the only reminder to judges and DAs of how hard their lives would be if they didn't have PDs.

Gleri
Mar 10, 2009

Zarkov Cortez posted:

Failing a fitness assessment is all but impossible if you're not in a vegetative state. I had a guy once say he'd stabbed another guy because he was "stealing his inventions and miracles and putting them in bags." He came back fit.

hunkrust
Sep 29, 2014
I got an MA in asking leading questions about how sexism isnt real, and regularly fail to grasp that other people have different experience than me or enjoy different things.
I also own multiple fedoras, to go with my leather dusters, and racist pin badges.

Emanuel Collective posted:

That's been tried. They almost always come back as competent, because unwavering belief in an insane ideology isn't, by itself, grounds for incompetence.

What's the standard for that?

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doin crossfit itt

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Isn't competency "if you know you're in a courtroom," colloquially? The sovcit's problem is they do, they just think it's admiralty.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

I'm going to lawyer school this fall.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

I saw a lady ask for "permission to come aboard" when her case was called. The in-custody guys thought it was hilarious. "Lady, this not a boat!"

You know it's gonna be a bad day when the most reasonable guys are the ones in the cuffs and orange jumpsuits.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

The Kingfish posted:

I'm going to lawyer school this fall.

Poster lives up to aviatar.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

Whatever happened to toona

tau
Mar 20, 2003

Sigillum Universitatis Kansiensis

EwokEntourage posted:

Who cares

Newfie
Oct 8, 2013

10 years of oil boom and 20 billion dollars cash, all I got was a case of beer, a pack of smokes, and 14% unemployment.
Thanks, Danny.

mastershakeman posted:

Or try zero cal monster energy drinks, get a random nosebleed, And realize your blood pressure is 180/120

Holy poo poo, this happened to me last week. I was in international trade (it is an easy course with am easy marking prof) and I got a random nose bleed for probably the first time in my life. I was drinking rockstar and coffee all week trying to get a paper done. Now I need to get my blood pressure checked :stonk:

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

tau posted:

Who cares

The first 48?

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest

EwokEntourage posted:

Sobriety.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

terrorist ambulance