Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

There are some similarities between Yu Yu Hakusho and part 4, but that's kind of just because, yeah, they're lifting from the same Japanese delinquent stories and combining them with supernatural punch-offs.

And yeah, Yu Yu came before part 4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Yeah, they both just use Japanese school uniforms as a base.

Which just gives me the amazing idea of a Diamond is Unbreakable/Cromartie High School crossover.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

gently caress, beaten.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

There is nothing new under the sun.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Josuke punching Mechazawa the Bike to vault over a baby WHEN???

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Fat_Cow posted:

Did Jojo influence Yu Yu Hakusho in anyway? I'm curious

IIRC Togashi is on the record stating that he was influenced by JoJo while writing YYH, but I don't recall where to find the translation of the interview.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
Some of the human spirit powers in Chapter Black are very Stand like.

And then later on in Hunter x Hunter a bunch of Emitter type nen users straight up just make Punchghosts.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Just like in the Persona 4 Arena fighting game.
It'd be a good basis for a JoJo fighting game!

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
hey Josuke I meant to ask back when you posted your Soft and Wet wallpapers; do you have any Tusk ones? I'm using the Soft and Wet for my laptop and it's really nice so it'd be cool if you had one of Tusk for my desktop

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Waffleman_ posted:

If you're trying to make like a connection between Yusuke and Josuke's designs, they really just draw from the same visual tropes for delinquents in Japan.

See also: Kuwabara

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Funky Valentine posted:

See also: Kuwabara

HEY URAMESHI! THE gently caress YOU SAY ABOUT MY HAIR?!

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Stallion Cabana posted:

hey Josuke I meant to ask back when you posted your Soft and Wet wallpapers; do you have any Tusk ones? I'm using the Soft and Wet for my laptop and it's really nice so it'd be cool if you had one of Tusk for my desktop

I don't.

My creative moods strike like once a year but I'll keep Tusk in mind and if I ever get a good idea for it, I might do it. I tend to do better with things I want myself and Tusk's not a priority of any sort to so that doesn't help. I'm more likely to me a Kira 8 one than anything else at this point.

TL;DR: I don't have one, and don't expect one but it could happen eventually.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Speaking of which, does anyone happen to have any decent Gyro Zeppeli avatars?

Not that I'm thinking about changing my forums name and avatar to him or anything :ohdear:

Gyro Zeppeli fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Apr 13, 2016

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

During the Chapter Black saga of Yu Yu Hakusho, they had one of the villians, Seaman face everyone in an Arcade game and obviously inspired by the D'arby Younger fight.

Shame there's no clips online, Genkai was hilarious.

My dream Jojo avatar would be an animated gif of Surface's stand user shaking his hips in the op.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Sinners Sandwich posted:

During the Chapter Black saga of Yu Yu Hakusho, they had one of the villians, Seaman face everyone in an Arcade game and obviously inspired by the D'arby Younger fight.

Shame there's no clips online, Genkai was hilarious.

My dream Jojo avatar would be an animated gif of Surface's stand user shaking his hips in the op.

It wasn't Seaman but yeah, that was a fun one. It ended up with Kurama causing a grade schooler to die because Kurama can't not kill people.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Waffleman_ posted:

HEY URAMESHI! THE gently caress YOU SAY ABOUT MY HAIR?!

if only J-stars was actually good and became a running series, then we could eventually get the Okuyasu & Kuwabara dream-team the world needs instead of the lovely cash-in we deserve.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

Okuyasu Nijimura posted:

I mean, he could explain it well, can't judge by the translation we have.

I get king crimson, GER stumps me a little though I know what it does just not totally *why*

Have you seen the episode of Futurama "Time Keeps On Slippin'?
It's like that, but Diavolo is aware of what he's doing during the timeskips, but when people are doing things in the skipped time they can't react to King Crimson or the things he's doing, behaving as if he was still in the same spot he was when he initiates the skip.

That's how I explain it to people. If they haven't seen that episode I can't help them.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Have you seen the episode of Futurama "Time Keeps On Slippin'?
It's like that, but Diavolo is aware of what he's doing during the timeskips, but when people are doing things in the skipped time they can't react to King Crimson or the things he's doing, behaving as if he was still in the same spot he was when he initiates the skip.

That's how I explain it to people. If they haven't seen that episode I can't help them.

He's asking about GER, not KC.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Rohan Kishibe posted:

Some of the human spirit powers in Chapter Black are very Stand like.

And then later on in Hunter x Hunter a bunch of Emitter type nen users straight up just make Punchghosts.
I know Araki probably didn't invent Make Things Explode With Your Hands powers, but my current thought on Genthru in Hunter x Hunter is that he's an extremely boring Yoshikage Kira

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Apr 14, 2016

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Genthru really is the weakest arc antagonist in Hunter x Hunter, which is a shame since his particular application of explosive power is pretty cool.

Kira, meanwhile, is only a little bit behind Dio in my mind. Both are on my favorite villains list.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

ChaosArgate posted:

I was, but actually I appreciated that because it makes it easier for me to explain King Crimson since yeah, it's a bit like that to me in my head. :)

I'm sure if I just focused harder when reading those chapters I'd get GER a bit better but honestly I'd rather just wait for translations to catch up eventually. I'm really curious about how different a better translation would be; I was describing Ghiaccio to a friend today and was remembering that panel Daxing Dan posted where the bad translation basically said the opposite of what he was supposed to be saying. Whoopsy!

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

ChaosArgate posted:

Oh well that one's simple. You know how when kids are playing pretend in the playground and one kid goes "OH YEAH WELL I HAVE INFINITY PLUS INFINITY POWER AND I WIN AND YOU LOSE NEENER NEENER"

GER is that.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Bad Seafood posted:

Genthru really is the weakest arc antagonist in Hunter x Hunter, which is a shame since his particular application of explosive power is pretty cool.

Kira, meanwhile, is only a little bit behind Dio in my mind. Both are on my favorite villains list.
Yeah, his power is not just a rip-off of Killer Queen which is cool, but I wish literally anyone else had this power because Genthru is putting me to sleep over here. I haven't been super enjoying Greed Island and I dunno how much of that that's because of Genthru

Dio is a more interesting villain character wise thematically, but in terms of Villians Like To See Onscreen Doing Bad poo poo, Kira is way up there, probably along side Valentine. Like, there are times where I wanted Kira to win and that's pretty hosed up.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Now I'm trying to think what my full list would be, ha ha.

Lotta good bad guys in anime and manga.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

The only interesting rub to Genthru's personality comes in at the tail end of Greed Island, but at the very least his fight is pretty sweet and brutal.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Oh well that one's simple. You know how when kids are playing pretend in the playground and one kid goes "OH YEAH WELL I HAVE INFINITY PLUS INFINITY POWER AND I WIN AND YOU LOSE NEENER NEENER"

GER is that.

Hahah god dammit! That's just it! That's what drives me up the wall! How does he get that! How is that fair! How can it work that way?! It's pissing me off!

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Bad Seafood posted:

The only interesting rub to Genthru's personality comes in at the tail end of Greed Island, but at the very least his fight is pretty sweet and brutal.
Alright, cool. I got like two episodes of Greed Island left so I'm looking forward to seeing whatever this bland boy's get left in him and getting to some chimera ants

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

Okuyasu Nijimura posted:

Hahah god dammit! That's just it! That's what drives me up the wall! How does he get that! How is that fair! How can it work that way?! It's pissing me off!

If it makes you feel any better apparently that was just a temporary powerup, and the arrow fell out of Gold Experience and now if he needs to kill people he just has to stick to old fashioned methods like making them eat a gun-banana.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Okuyasu Nijimura posted:

I was, but actually I appreciated that because it makes it easier for me to explain King Crimson since yeah, it's a bit like that to me in my head. :)

I'm sure if I just focused harder when reading those chapters I'd get GER a bit better but honestly I'd rather just wait for translations to catch up eventually. I'm really curious about how different a better translation would be; I was describing Ghiaccio to a friend today and was remembering that panel Daxing Dan posted where the bad translation basically said the opposite of what he was supposed to be saying. Whoopsy!

It being the ultimate defensive Stand is basically true because GE was technically like that in the beginning, what with rebounding the physical attacks on the life it creates. I think Araki less forgot about that and more focused on the other poo poo it could do (and using that to win every fight just wouldn't be very exciting, yeah). It's the Ultimate Muda.

But from what I understand

1) It resets everything back to "zero"
2) This not only includes one's death (they still happen, there's just never a finality to it and so the Infinite Death Hell Loop happens) but one's will. This is probably why King Crimson stopped working and why DIavolo wasn't able to manifest it in the death loop.

tl;dr:

EDIT: Now that I'm thinking about it, King Crimson is a very good defensive Stand as well when you include Epitaph, and since this is a retread of Stardust Crusaders, GER being as it is is probably along the same lines as Jotaro learning how to stop time because SP and The World are "similar Stands".

BaDandy fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Apr 14, 2016

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
Did the anime thread get deleted? What happened?

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

the anime thread is taking a break, because it was incredibly bad

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

The anime thread would be so much better if it was just anime-only people commenting instead of a manga-reader circlejerk

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

The anime thread would be so much better if it was just anime-only people commenting instead of a manga-reader circlejerk

Point taken, I've been thinking that I'm obnoxious as gently caress in there.

As opposed to being a really great, wonderful poster here

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Let me and a select group of posters I deem worthy post

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Baal posted:

Let me and a select group of posters I deem worthy post

I thought we were supposed to make that thread better tho.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
This will make the thread better

For me

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

The way I explain GER is that if you attack it, it says, "nuh uh" and sticks you in an infinite death loop.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

I'll reopen the thread tomorrow, but yeah, I may have to ask the veterans to ease off the trigger juuust a hair since we've got this whole other thread to freak out in anyway.

That thread's recent problem wasn't your guys fault, but speaking generally we are prone to dominating the conversation. Not gonna come down hard on any of this since we're still better than, say, the IBO thread was, but keep a certain common courtesy in mind for your fellow posters. That's all I expect from you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Pink Gappy Pink Gappy Pink Gappy Pink Gappy