Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

I did it Fargin, and you can do it, too. I believe in you!

It might be too early to tell, but I think I may be digging Dark Souls III more than Dark Souls I. It's just a more polished experience overall, the world feels more cohesive, the combat is more fluid, the graphics are prettier. It's hard to imagine going back to DS1 after this. How are others feeling?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Zombies' Downfall posted:

Doing a Dex/Int build; boss soul spoilers Crystal Hail or Sage's Rapier?

If the spell sucks I'll get the sword, if the sword sucks I'll get the spell for cheevin or w/e

I've got the rapier now. +50 item find which is cool and some pretty nasty reach but at 21 int so far it's really not better than having a Raw Short Sword I can enchant. Maybe once I get into the 30's it will start taking off but you really do need several levels of int to make it work out.

Xanderkish posted:

I did it Fargin, and you can do it, too. I believe in you!

It might be too early to tell, but I think I may be digging Dark Souls III more than Dark Souls I. It's just a more polished experience overall, the world feels more cohesive, the combat is more fluid, the graphics are prettier. It's hard to imagine going back to DS1 after this. How are others feeling?

Oh yeah. DSIII has DSI's amazingly crafted world with DSII's mechanics improvements further improved.

A bit clunky on PC right now though, there are some areas I literally cannot look even at the lowest settings without the game chugging. There is something straight up wrong with the lighting effects on PC that cause some machines to chug/crash if you look at certain places (thankfully mine mostly chugs, only 2 crashes and they've been just randoms).

Alkydere fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Apr 14, 2016

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
I made a little video celebrating the early hours of Dark Souls 3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twy4cYsbxXg

And yes, I have played the other games in the series. Why? What's wrong? :downs:

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012
Do you really have to join the red covenant to respec? And is it true that you can only do it 5 times per character?

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

Eat a load, Nuggan! I did that poo poo offline and it was a nightmare. I went from hollow-12 to hollow-49 in that place. Half of which happened while I was trying to figure out how to get to Patches.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Dezztroy posted:

Do you really have to join the red covenant to respec? And is it true that you can only do it 5 times per character?

5 times per game cycle, so NG+ gives you 5 more. I doubt they carry over.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Holy poo poo this dungeon is the best. It's worse than Tower of Latria. And the jumpscares. The jumpscares!

Fool me once, shame on- OH JESUS gently caress IT HAPPENED AGAIN:gonk:

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Everywhere I go seems too high level for me and (gently caress, mid game firelink shrine spoilers?} my firelink shrine guys have started to die mysteriously. Unlike every other souls game there's no clue trail to follow. Just a dead body in a corner. and a blind girl gone missing. And the guy what probably done it gone missing. I went back to where I found them, nope. This is boring.

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Just found an item that unlocked a couple armor sets and :siren: titanite shards :siren: for sale from the handmaiden. It was hidden behind an illusory wall in the swamp. Brutal.

Where's that illusory wall? I've been looking all day for the way into the one-way room with the crystal demon -- is the illusory wall the answer?

Also, is it just me, or does the world seem to be a lot less dense with messages this time around? I see a few scrawls here and there, but hardly as many as DS1 or DS1, even long after their peak play hours.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Appoda posted:

Also, is it just me, or does the world seem to be a lot less dense with messages this time around? I see a few scrawls here and there, but hardly as many as DS1 or DS1, even long after their peak play hours.

It's probably something wacky with the game's servers. I don't remember which Souls game it was anymore, but one of them barely had any messages because instead of one(?) server they had like 10. Was it Souls 2?

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Holy poo poo the whole rooftop section of cotd can kiss my rear end. For whatever reason i found it harder than the famous rooftop section of anor londo. Really tricky placement of the arrow assholes. Taking the lift up at the end of the level to where the first sniper dick is was so cathartic. Time for beating into a pulp, you bastard!

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

1. What is up with the weapon balance? Why do so many slow greatswords have like 10 more AR than fast straight swords? Longsword of bust I guess.

2. I maintain this game should've had the Bloodborne dodge as the normal dodge, not a weapon art. Those sliding dual dagger undead in the Cathedral can gently caress off forever.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

Appoda posted:

Where's that illusory wall? I've been looking all day for the way into the one-way room with the crystal demon -- is the illusory wall the answer?

Did you find the wolf covenant? Did you look up? The illusory wall is outside the building, on the other side of that thing. Like just try to walk up to that thing using the stairs outside.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
I've never seen a message with more than 100 ratings either, never mind the 400+ rated ones people were posting earlier.

Orv
May 4, 2011
These alligator rat dog things are retarded as hell.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Urthor posted:

I started out with a Fire Gem Broadsword, like many people I realised this is by far the best weapon in the game for sword and board. What I'd like to know is, at what point does shifting from Fire Gem to Heavy/Refined on the broadsword do more damage, the flat damage from Fire is well, reallllly good, but at what numbers does scaling overtake the flat damage?

The numbers on the weapon stats don't reflect how much damage you'll actually do. Damage reduction is a flat reduction to those damage numbers, and any enemy that isn't weak to fire will reduce both the physical and the fire damage component by whatever their defense stat is, meaning a weapon with 100 physical and 100 fire damage may end up doing quite a bit less than one with 140 physical. No hard data on any of those numbers yet since the game's only been out a couple days.

For switching to a scaling infusion like Heavy, it depends on the weapon but since you can preview the numbers before you apply an infusion you should see how well the scaling works for what your stats are.

Section Z posted:

The main one I'm hazy with is Refined, with it's full implications.

Is it just entirely pointless on D/C or D/E weapons? What happens with weapons that don't have one type of scaling in the first place?

Or is it primarily for nudging C/E weapons into D/D weapons? outside of the rare snowflakes that actually have B or A scaling build in.

The rest seem simple enough to grasp. It's just the Refined loving with me.

The letters only give a vague idea of what the scaling percent actually is, with each one being a range of percents that it never tells you. Using refined on a D/E weapon will generally turn it into a D/D weapon but the first D is a bit lower.

I think how it works is that it averages the two, so if a weapon has 40% STR scaling and 20% DEX scaling it will give you 30% in both. That could be totally off base though.

You'll want to look at the bonus number for each infusion to see which one is giving you more and out of what stat.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Game is awesome. 10 hours in and I finally raised the first banner. Can't stop helpin people!

I like how there are piles of Bloodborne assets all over the place.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Lol all of the wolfsbro rewards are entirely loving useless for me. Oh well, still gonna max it out!

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
After a bunch of attempts at mound making, I finally got a host who needed help getting through the level, AND who had a convenient white phantom for me to gank. My plan was to act all friendly, help them through to a bonfire, kill the phantom, then I guess die if it didn't boot me out? That way I'm helping AND get my reward. Host got blown up. Oh well, now I can trade the thing in for Lucatiel's mask.

There was another dude who I helped through most of undead settlement. He got invaded by a mad npc. We killed him but I didn't get a reward. He got to the bonfire, but couldn't light it. Oh well, I'll just attack and- oh I'm dead. Dang it.

That's my mound maker story, thanks for reading. Back to sunbroing.

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky

Your Computer posted:

Holy poo poo this dungeon is the best. It's worse than Tower of Latria. And the jumpscares. The jumpscares!

Fool me once, shame on- OH JESUS gently caress IT HAPPENED AGAIN:gonk:

Got me twice as well. That place is exhausting! Also, have you figured out the gimmick with the jailers? they seem to be some kind of red light green light type deal, but I cant quite figure it out

E: also this badboy kept me alive on 2 estus for about half an hour :haw:

Spooky Bear Ghost fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Apr 14, 2016

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Is the butchers knife a trap? A scaling this early in the game seems too good to be true.

Bovineicide
May 2, 2005

Eating your face since 1991.
Are there any ports I need to forward for PS4? Getting really tired of the "unable to summon" message.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

Bovineicide posted:

Are there any ports I need to forward for PS4? Getting really tired of the "unable to summon" message.

Someone already summoned them. Try again. Try like crazy. It's hungry hungry hippoes but with summons out there.

Eddain
May 6, 2007
Man ranged weapons are pretty scarce early on.

What's the ideal way to take down Treeballs? I've been phantoming him for a few hours but the host usually dies before we managed to take him down. It just feels like you rarely have a safe time to go in and strike.

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky

Eddain posted:

What's the ideal way to take down Treeballs? I've been phantoming him for a few hours but the host usually dies before we managed to take him down. It just feels like you rarely have a safe time to go in and strike.

Fun fact, in phase one pretty much every time is a safe time to strike

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Eddain posted:

There are other sacks to break, like on his hands, back, limbs, etc. One person can distract him/his main hand while the others go and hit the easy ones.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Krinkle posted:

Everywhere I go seems too high level for me and (gently caress, mid game firelink shrine spoilers?} my firelink shrine guys have started to die mysteriously. Unlike every other souls game there's no clue trail to follow. Just a dead body in a corner. and a blind girl gone missing. And the guy what probably done it gone missing. I went back to where I found them, nope. This is boring.

You gave her a dark tome didn't you, you monster? It drives her crazy and Eygon takes her away from you to the Iudux bonfire where you have to fight him to get her back. If you talk to her while wearing his gloves she begs you to kill her.

Don't feel bad, I hosed up the same way.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Anyone else notice the OOB spot in farrons keep where you can cheese the invader?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I managed to get to the end of the Siegward questline without loving it up and apparently Siegward loving owns.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is Farron's before or after DC?

slev
Apr 6, 2009

What's the second number beside attack power mean? Attribute bonus?

the bsd boys
Aug 8, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 376 days!
after a really good summon, i like to lie on the floor and feel like garbage

its a family tradition

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

The Shortest Path posted:

The letters only give a vague idea of what the scaling percent actually is, with each one being a range of percents that it never tells you. Using refined on a D/E weapon will generally turn it into a D/D weapon but the first D is a bit lower.

I think how it works is that it averages the two, so if a weapon has 40% STR scaling and 20% DEX scaling it will give you 30% in both. That could be totally off base though.

You'll want to look at the bonus number for each infusion to see which one is giving you more and out of what stat.

Well, that is much more promising. A letter upgrade is still a letter upgrade, regardless of the mystery math. So should be something to look forward to when I get around to checking those out.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Turtlicious posted:

Is Farron's before or after DC?

You can do them in either order.

Urthor
Jul 28, 2014

The numbers on the weapon stats don't reflect how much damage you'll actually do. Damage reduction is a flat reduction to those damage numbers, and any enemy that isn't weak to fire will reduce both the physical and the fire damage component by whatever their defense stat is, meaning a weapon with 100 physical and 100 fire damage may end up doing quite a bit less than one with 140 physical. No hard data on any of those numbers yet since the game's only been out a couple days.

For switching to a scaling infusion like Heavy, it depends on the weapon but since you can preview the numbers before you apply an infusion you should see how well the scaling works for what your stats are.

Great advice, at 26 strength 16 dex heavy+3 Broad gives me 145+71, so that's much more than the Fire flat damage I was doing, 1 shotting hollows in cathedral feels very nice.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Andrast posted:

I managed to get to the end of the Siegward questline without loving it up and apparently Siegward loving owns.

Do you have to buy his armor back from Patches?

Orv
May 4, 2011

Yeah.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Yes.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Krinkle posted:

Boring? Wow. Try paying more attention. There's been tons of clues to exactly what is happening but like every dark souls game before, its very subtle and you have to pay attention to what people say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

gently caress, that's a lot of souls I don't have. What's the deadline?

slev posted:

What's the second number beside attack power mean? Attribute bonus?

Yeah, it's the amount you get from the attribute scaling based on the letter.