Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

HEY GAL posted:

haha what? Thanks for the link.

Looking at the number of survivors for each category, you probably need a hospital to survive the penetrating heart wounds (the number of survivors overall and for those transported to the trauma center is the exact same).

That said, the fact that they can make it long enough for the doctors to do whatever you do in that case is pretty impressive.

wdarkk fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Apr 13, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

chitoryu12 posted:

You do hear stories of people being "knocked over" by bullet impacts, but this has nothing to do with the kinetic energy. The shock and pain of the impact causes the person to fall over, sometimes with their limbs flying out as they topple over backwards. I even read a story about a guy being shot point blank at an upward angle with a .44 Magnum being "lifted off his feet", but that can be attributed to embellishment, poor vision at night, incorrect memory, etc.

One of the recent developments in wound ballistics has been the discovery that a sufficiently powerful round can result in a pressure wave which can cause traumatic brain injury even if the bullet isn't striking the brain directly, and that can cause sudden loss of consciousness or a sufficient loss of equilibrium to fall the hell down.

But then there are also cases of people being shot, not noticing the injury, and not falling down, and then falling down when the notice that they've been shot.

chitoryu12 posted:

This is the exact same thing. The bullet fails to penetrate, so the kinetic energy is spread across the surface area of the plate. The plate pushes back on the soldier's torso.

It's not kinetic energy that's relevant here, it's momentum. The kinetic energy of the round impacting the plate is being turned into heat, noise, deformation of the round and the plate, etc, but momentum, a vector quantity, needs to be conserved. And the momentum isn't enough that there's really a *physics* reason the guy gets knocked down; the plate doesn't push back on the soldier's torso very hard. SVD round at the muzzle has about 9.7 kilogram*meters per second of momentum, about the same as a football thrown by an NFL quarterback. People catch football passes all the time and can easily handle that sort of momentum transfer without being knocked down. If the SAPI plate stops a round and the wearer falls down, he's falling down because of a psychological or physiological reason, not because of the amount of KE or momentum transfer involved.

Phanatic fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Apr 13, 2016

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

MrMojok posted:

It was insane, casualties through parts of 1967 and 68 ran to 80% and reached 100% at some points. The NVA, being no dummies, figured out what SF was doing and how they operated and in '67 if I recall they decommissioned a paratroop unit and using those people stood up counter-recon teams whose whole purpose was to hang out at different spots on the Trail and hunt the SOG people down.
Good on them. We need more books from the NV perspective, because so much media just focuses on ground troops morale ("We'll kill you, and then make a movie about how bad it made us feel"), never touching on either how poo poo US doctrine and strategic thinking was, nor considering the Vietnamese as anything more than some jungle force of nature.

Hell, it took a Cracked article for me to consider how unfamiliar most VC / NVA troops were with the jungle.

Ainsley McTree posted:

I think he explained it by saying something like "a shot strong enough to blow someone away would also knock the shooter off their feet" and I'm not good enough at physics to work out the math on that but it's still something i can't not think about now
Yeah, it's like how whenever you shove someone, you're shoved back with the same force, because we're all floating around in zero gravity.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Apr 13, 2016

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Delivery McGee posted:

Unrelated anecdote: My pa was a Special Forces radioman in Vietnam, one time his team was in a firefight with a vastly superior enemy force and he called for arty. A guy replied with a callsign he didn't recognize, Dad gave the guy his coordinates and the enemy's, &c. Guy said "Confirm danger close." (i.e., "you're a lil' bit in the blast radius, are you sure you want to risk us hitting you?") Dad ofc said "yes" without stopping to think.

Once the rounds were in the air, he realized he was well outside danger close for any Army/USMC artillery shell. He gave the order for his guys to become one with the ground, because presumably the guy on the guns knows them better than Dad's lowly infantry rear end..

And then the world exploded.

Turns out he hadn't been talking to a USMC firebase with 155mm howitzers. It was USS New Jersey's 16" guns.

:catstare:

This reminds me: Danger close is more of a factor of the precision of the barrage over the explosive radius of the shell, right? Has danger close range shrunk as targetting got more precise? I had the thought the other day that if that is true, despite the fact mortars are smaller weapons than field guns, mortars are probably riskier to fire nearer your dudes because your position isn't going to be as well-measured. On the other hand, that sounds super dumb, so... I guess info on artillery safety vs usefulness over the years is really my question.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Yes*

As precision increases the fragmentary/shock radius of the shell matters more.

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

ISRAEL DOESN'T HAVE CIVILIANS THEY'RE ALL VALID TARGETS
I'm a huge dickbag ignore me
All this talk of gunshots and knockback reminded me of a story I once heard, maybe ya'll can confirm/deny:

The US Army issued a .45 caliber handgun during the insurgency operations in the Phillipines following the Spanish-American War, and this was because a lot of the insurgents would get high on local drugs, and they needed a weapon with punch behind it to actually make the insurgents stay down.

True? Complete crap? Somewhere in the middle?

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
So how close is worryingly close for WW2 artillery vs modern artillery? And what about mortars? I'd assume ones that are in vehicles can benefit from fancy calibration stuff, but are ones people just lug around much improved?

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Thalantos posted:

All this talk of gunshots and knockback reminded me of a story I once heard, maybe ya'll can confirm/deny:

The US Army issued a .45 caliber handgun during the insurgency operations in the Phillipines following the Spanish-American War, and this was because a lot of the insurgents would get high on local drugs, and they needed a weapon with punch behind it to actually make the insurgents stay down.

I don't know enough, but wikipedia seems to see it as pretty legit, minus the 'high on local drugs' bit. Of course, who knows with wikis.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juramentado

quote:

The Moros' use of local intelligence to mark target situations, coupled with a keen understanding of the tactical element of surprise made combating juramentado warriors difficult for Spanish troops during its long attempt to occupy the Sulu Archipelago. In an era of warfare where body armor had become anachronistic, an unexpected melee attack with razor-sharp blades was a devastating tactic against veteran soldiers. Even when colonizers had time to draw weapons and fire on the charging attacker, the small caliber weapons commonly in use possessed no stopping power, bullets passing though limbs and torso, the juramentados' ritual binding working as a set of tourniquets to prevent the swordsman from bleeding out from wounds before accomplishing his purpose.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

spectralent posted:

:catstare:

This reminds me: Danger close is more of a factor of the precision of the barrage over the explosive radius of the shell, right? Has danger close range shrunk as targetting got more precise? I had the thought the other day that if that is true, despite the fact mortars are smaller weapons than field guns, mortars are probably riskier to fire nearer your dudes because your position isn't going to be as well-measured. On the other hand, that sounds super dumb, so... I guess info on artillery safety vs usefulness over the years is really my question.

american mortars are, at least, going to have a gps capable of a 10 digit grid. likewise, the fo is going to have a gps capable of a 10 digit grid. when shooting indirect weapons: knowing your position accurately and the fo knowing his position accurately is half the battle.

the mortar team is probably going to have a mortar computer that does all the math for them and the fo might have an integrated gps/lazer rangerfinder/azimuth indicator that spits out a 10 digit grid with elevation for the target.

everyone still trains to do it old school style with a plotting board, compass, 6 digit grids, firing tables and binos. plotting boards are like some magic from the 19th century that i never really understood.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Thalantos posted:

Pretty sure it's not. You hear a lot of this from American cops as well, rumours of crackheads that resist "9 mm Europellet".

Taerkar posted:

Yes*

As precision increases the fragmentary/shock radius of the shell matters more.

Soviet WWII era artillery tables already include safe fragmentation distance for avoiding friendly fire, so I assume it was already a significant factor back then.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Thalantos posted:

Middle, mostly towards crap. "They're high on drugs and are weapons are useless against them" is a common battle myth, it even cropped up during Restore Hope when guys fired 5.56mm at Somalis, didn't instakill them, and the story became "They're so high on khat we need something bigger than 5.56mm." People in combat miss a lot, and tell stories to explain why they didn't.

That said, the predecessor to the .45 Colt, the .38 Long Colt, was a pretty anemic cartridge by any standard, with under 200 ft-lbs of energy at the muzzle. And there were cases of people getting hit multiple times with it and continuing to fight, and that did prompt the development of a new cartridge. But there are cases of people being hit multiple times with .30-caliber rifle rounds and continuing to fight.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

As I understand it, there's no scientific consensus about what "stopping power" actually means and how to measure it?

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

ISRAEL DOESN'T HAVE CIVILIANS THEY'RE ALL VALID TARGETS
I'm a huge dickbag ignore me
Thanks for the answers, ya'll :) They were quite informative.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

I'm starting to eat up the backlog. Let's have a double.

Very Slightly More Than 100 Years Ago

It's the 9th of April, and today is mostly about what Zee Germans are doing. At Verdun there is another titanic push that captures microscopic amounts of terrain in rapidly-worsening weather. If it weren't absolutely pissing with rain over Verdun right now the Germans would also be going some way to rebalancing the air war with the introduction of the Halberstadt D.II and the Albatros D.I prototype fighters. And a small, discreet freighter has just left, pretending to be Norweigan, observing strict radio silence, running the North Sea blockade...and heading, on the mother of all "round the houses" courses, eventually for Ireland.

Elsewhere: Grigoris Balakian swaps some more atrocity stories from the Armenian genocide, and decides to escape alone if necessary; Edward Mousley's usual garrulousness is cut very short because of something that's going to happen tomorrow; Malcolm White gets strafed for the first time and takes refuge in some mildly oblique Biblical referencing (and a dugout); Clifford Wells runs down several signs that even the idiot son of a Montreal millionaire can tell mean that a major offensive is in the works; and Private Louis Barthas suspects that his officers may be using dirty tricks (perish the thought!) to stop him seeing the colonel, so writes directly to this Olympian personage and gets immediate results.

By the way, does anyone happen to know when the phrase "squared away" became an integral part of US Army-speak?

MassivelyBuckNegro posted:

american mortars are, at least, going to have a gps capable of a 10 digit grid. likewise, the fo is going to have a gps capable of a 10 digit grid. when shooting indirect weapons: knowing your position accurately and the fo knowing his position accurately is half the battle.

the mortar team is probably going to have a mortar computer that does all the math for them and the fo might have an integrated gps/lazer rangerfinder/azimuth indicator that spits out a 10 digit grid with elevation for the target.

everyone still trains to do it old school style with a plotting board, compass, 6 digit grids, firing tables and binos. plotting boards are like some magic from the 19th century that i never really understood.

How accurate are mortars expected to be? 100 years ago, the rule of thumb was that any given gun should be accurate to within 100 yards; a skilled trench-mortar crew could narrow that down to about 15-25 yards with a good weapon in ideal conditions.

Trin Tragula fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Apr 14, 2016

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Xander77 posted:

As I understand it, there's no scientific consensus about what "stopping power" actually means and how to measure it?

Yeah. What consensus exists basically leans towards shot placement trumping caliber in every circumstance up until you start getting to autocannon caliber rounds.

Also, I'm going to drop this and walk away.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIwimWccIoM

edit: been a loooooong time since I heard Deutschland Uber Alles sung unironically.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Xander77 posted:

Yeah, it's like how whenever you shove someone, you're shoved back with the same force, because we're all floating around in zero gravity.

You do see something like this with very high-power weapons (especially handguns like the Desert Eagle or Smith & Wesson Model 500) on a smaller scale, where the shooter fails to maintain a strong grip and the gun just goes flying out of their hands and possibly hits them in the face. All the energy gets applied to the weapon.

Of course, sometimes you get into sillier realms:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNyILOTCkLM

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.
I always heard that the Army adopted a .45 as a sidearm to more reliably put down injured horses.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

I'm watching "The Civil War" as mentioned and -

What is MaClellian's problem

He's like the worst, most awful terrible general and I wanna say Abraham Lincoln should have fired him way sooner, but apparently there are military units being lead by 30 year old university profs with no qualifications whatsoever so maybe the talent pool isn't deep

On the other side Stonewall Jackson is amusing, always gnawing on fruit and holding one of his arms up to restore circulation. Dude loved eating lemons in particular.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I will say that while The Civil War is probably my favorite TV show of all time one of the main criticisms I have of it was its treatment of McClellan....he wasn't great by any means, but he wasn't quite the complete idiot that he's portrayed as in that series.

He was every bit as pompous as he was portrayed though, lol

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
he was quartermasterkin, the soul of a logistics dude in the body of a commanding general

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Nebakenezzer posted:

I'm watching "The Civil War" as mentioned and -

What is MaClellian's problem

He's like the worst, most awful terrible general and I wanna say Abraham Lincoln should have fired him way sooner, but apparently there are military units being lead by 30 year old university profs with no qualifications whatsoever so maybe the talent pool isn't deep
Didn't watch that show, but he was ver good at putting an army together - logistics, training, etc. (The sort of stuff that gets omitted in pop-history, much less visual media, due to being boring, but is actually highly complex and hard to pull off) As a consequence (?) he was really scared of losing that army / taking major losses.

Also, apparently bad intelligence(?) constantly fed to him had him believing that the enemy had 4-5 as many troops and reserves as they ever actually had.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Phanatic posted:

Middle, mostly towards crap. "They're high on drugs and are weapons are useless against them" is a common battle myth, it even cropped up during Restore Hope when guys fired 5.56mm at Somalis, didn't instakill them, and the story became "They're so high on khat we need something bigger than 5.56mm." People in combat miss a lot, and tell stories to explain why they didn't.
That one is actually addressed in the book of Black Hawk Down and is attributed to the harder tipped armour piercing rounds the 5.56 guns were using. The story goes that the harder tip prevented round squashing or tumbling thus making smaller, neater holes in the target, and often turning a killshot into a minor injury. As to the truth of that - :shrug: I am not a gun person.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Phanatic posted:

That said, the predecessor to the .45 Colt, the .38 Long Colt, was a pretty anemic cartridge by any standard, with under 200 ft-lbs of energy at the muzzle. And there were cases of people getting hit multiple times with it and continuing to fight, and that did prompt the development of a new cartridge. But there are cases of people being hit multiple times with .30-caliber rifle rounds and continuing to fight.

The .45 Long Colt was actually replaced by the .38 Colt for use by the army. The .45 Colt is a slightly older round, and in true military fashion there is a ton of wonkiness around it. The US Military put out a contract for a pistol to use up it's stocks of .45LC and Smith & Wesson won it. And then decided to make their own variation of .45 caliber ammo and build the gun around that. Except you can't fire .45LC in a gun meant for .45 S&W because the round is too long. Which caused no end of issues. So there is a third variation produced by the US Military to try to solve this. Later the .38 LC will be adopted. The Moro Rebellion will end up causing the US Army to dip into stocks of the old Colt Single Action Army and a new variation that used .45LC. These get issued in the Philippines and in some other overseas posts. And then eventually the Army will adopt the 1911 and the .45 ACP that it uses.

I also seem to recall that Perishing wasn't overly impressed with the quality of the troops stationed there. Or the officers who came before him when it came to dealing with the Moro.

The evolutionary replacement cartridge for the .38 LC is the .38 Special. Which later on cops would claim lacked the stopping power needed to put down criminals. I suspect that the biggest issue the .38 LC and the .38 Special faced is that shooting in a stress situation is hard. And it's likely in a lot of cases with the troops facing the Moro or the cops, they likely just missed a lot and assumed they hit.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Arquinsiel posted:

That one is actually addressed in the book of Black Hawk Down and is attributed to the harder tipped armour piercing rounds the 5.56 guns were using. The story goes that the harder tip prevented round squashing or tumbling thus making smaller, neater holes in the target, and often turning a killshot into a minor injury. As to the truth of that - :shrug: I am not a gun person.

That's actually somewhat reasonable. A rifle round really wants to travel base-first, it's only the spin imparted to it by the rifling that keeps it traveling point-first, but when it stops traveling through air and starts traveling through a big fluid-filled bag like a block of ballistic gelatin or a person, that spin won't keep it stable anymore and it will try to assume that base-first orientation. M193 5.56mm ammo will tend to fracture at the cannelure when it tumbles, breaking into two or three pieces, creating a really nasty primary wound cavity. M855 ball has a steel tip, and depending on angle of entry might not even tumble, and even if it does tumble probably won't break up. So, yeah, it's possible that some soldiers shot Somalis in a way that'd have been incapacitating if they'd been using M193 but instead just punched clean through them without hitting anything vital like an organ or major blood vessel. It's also possible that they did hit them in those areas, but didn't instakill them because people don't work that way. It's also possible that they just plain missed.

And all ammunition fired from the M4 is pretty crappy out past a hundred yards, because the shorter barrel means it doesn't really carry enough energy past that range to do the break-into-pieces trick.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Arquinsiel posted:

Wouldn't they have just been using plain full metal jacket ammo without AP tips? The whole reason we issue FMJ is that it's a decent general purpose round without being overly specialized against flesh or armor (we actually didn't sign the part of the Hague Convention banning expanding ammo so we're not legally obligated to follow it, and snipers do prefer boat-tail hollow points for their ballistics).

Edit: I should point out that all soldiers are currently trained to fire multiple shots into an enemy to ensure that they actually go down. Instances of M4 carbines "not being powerful enough" can be attributed to cases where soldiers simply fired once and expected the bad guy to fall over like in a movie or video game instead of seemingly ignoring the bullet and still going.

chitoryu12 fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Apr 14, 2016

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

chitoryu12 posted:

Wouldn't they have just been using plain full metal jacket ammo without AP tips? The whole reason we issue FMJ is that it's a decent general purpose round without being overly specialized against flesh or armor (we actually didn't sign the part of the Hague Convention banning expanding ammo so we're not legally obligated to follow it, and snipers do prefer boat-tail hollow points for their ballistics).

Edit: I should point out that all soldiers are currently trained to fire multiple shots into an enemy to ensure that they actually go down. Instances of M4 carbines "not being powerful enough" can be attributed to cases where soldiers simply fired once and expected the bad guy to fall over like in a movie or video game instead of seemingly ignoring the bullet and still going.
I have no idea. IIRC it's some D-boy who was interviewed complaining about it, but I'd have to find my copy and re-read it to check if it was or if it's just some hypothesis put forward by Mark Bowden. Phantic seems to think it's at least plausible, and he clearly knows more about bullets than I do so Imma defer to him.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Phanatic posted:

That's actually somewhat reasonable. A rifle round really wants to travel base-first, it's only the spin imparted to it by the rifling that keeps it traveling point-first, but when it stops traveling through air and starts traveling through a big fluid-filled bag like a block of ballistic gelatin or a person, that spin won't keep it stable anymore and it will try to assume that base-first orientation. M193 5.56mm ammo will tend to fracture at the cannelure when it tumbles, breaking into two or three pieces, creating a really nasty primary wound cavity. M855 ball has a steel tip, and depending on angle of entry might not even tumble, and even if it does tumble probably won't break up. So, yeah, it's possible that some soldiers shot Somalis in a way that'd have been incapacitating if they'd been using M193 but instead just punched clean through them without hitting anything vital like an organ or major blood vessel. It's also possible that they did hit them in those areas, but didn't instakill them because people don't work that way. It's also possible that they just plain missed.

And all ammunition fired from the M4 is pretty crappy out past a hundred yards, because the shorter barrel means it doesn't really carry enough energy past that range to do the break-into-pieces trick.

I don't think short barrel carbines were commonly issued in 1993, certainly not to the rangers.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Throatwarbler posted:

I don't think short barrel carbines were commonly issued in 1993, certainly not to the rangers.

While the M4 Carbine didn't exist in 1993, the Colt Commando/CAR-15 series of carbine AR-15s had been around since the 1960s and they saw common usage with special forces like the Rangers and Delta Force. Delta and Ranger operators are even recorded as having used Aimpoint 500 reflex sights during the operation.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Arquinsiel posted:

Overpenetration is most certainly a thing, and has been for bullets or projectiles, and even bombs and naval shells. Especially if such munitions are explosive in nature, as you want them to explode in your target, not behind them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWZMd8sNbwg&t=144s

http://i.imgur.com/6f2lZHm.gifv

Note the bullet separating

This site is currently down, but he/they have done a great look on multiple calibres in various situations. In one such test, he put several firearms (and their respective calibers) to the test against many layers of wood that would simulate drywall and see how much penetration you would have/require. Such info is useful for a home defense scenario, as you want your round to hurt the intruder, not him and whatever is behind your target (apartment living, large houses, many rooms, etc.)

http://www.theboxotruth.com/the-box-o-truth-14-rifles-shotguns-and-walls/

This one works for me for now...

http://www.theboxotruth.com/the-box-o-truth-1-the-original-box-o-truth/

"There is only one way to know how much a certain round penetrates.

You must shoot it into a medium and see for a fact."

"First, we loaded the box with 12 sheets of 5/8 sheetrock, which is also called wallboard in some areas. Since it takes 2 sheets per wall, this is the thickness of 6 interior walls."

Why twelve? It seemed like a good number and I thought it might stop most rounds. I was about to learn something.

First, I shot it with my M-17 S&W, .22 LR HP. It penetrated 6 sheets and bounced off the seventh sheet. That would be the equivalent of 3 interior walls. And that’s only a .22 pistol.

Long story short, we proceeded to shoot several rounds and they all penetrated all 12 sheets and exited."

"Notice that the XM-193 is tumbling."

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Apr 14, 2016

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Deutchland uber alles is such a weak song, I would quit Nazi party on the spot. Now, the Soviet anthrm is where it gets good.

Ballistics is a tricky thing, and "lol .22", 9mm vs .45 ACP, 5.56 vs 7.62 arguments are here to stay. At least we're not in pre WWII when everyone felt the need to adopt a slughtly different caliber

Wish all ammo was measured in metric, tho.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
:flipoff:

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

Your unwillingness to accept the metric system and showering naked in your front yard means that you will always be an alien in Germany

always

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Overpenetration is most certainly a thing, and has been for bullets or projectiles, and even bombs and naval shells. Especially if such munitions are explosive in nature, as you want them to explode in your target, not behind them.
-snip-
Note the bullet separating

This site is currently down, but he/they have done a great look on multiple calibres in various situations. In one such test, he put several firearms (and their respective calibers) to the test against many layers of wood that would simulate drywall and see how much penetration you would have/require. Such info is useful for a home defense scenario, as you want your round to hurt the intruder, not him and whatever is behind your target (apartment living, large houses, many rooms, etc.)

http://www.theboxotruth.com/the-box-o-truth-14-rifles-shotguns-and-walls/

This one works for me for now...

http://www.theboxotruth.com/the-box-o-truth-1-the-original-box-o-truth/

"There is only one way to know how much a certain round penetrates.

You must shoot it into a medium and see for a fact."

-snip A-

"First, we loaded the box with 12 sheets of 5/8 sheetrock, which is also called wallboard in some areas. Since it takes 2 sheets per wall, this is the thickness of 6 interior walls."

Why twelve? It seemed like a good number and I thought it might stop most rounds. I was about to learn something.

First, I shot it with my M-17 S&W, .22 LR HP. It penetrated 6 sheets and bounced off the seventh sheet. That would be the equivalent of 3 interior walls. And that’s only a .22 pistol.

Long story short, we proceeded to shoot several rounds and they all penetrated all 12 sheets and exited."
-snip B-

"Notice that the XM-193 is tumbling."

Don't hotlink, re-host poo poo on imgur. Hotlinking is unreliable and very rude.

A

B

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Xander77 posted:

Didn't watch that show, but he was ver good at putting an army together - logistics, training, etc. (The sort of stuff that gets omitted in pop-history, much less visual media, due to being boring, but is actually highly complex and hard to pull off) As a consequence (?) he was really scared of losing that army / taking major losses.

Also, apparently bad intelligence(?) constantly fed to him had him believing that the enemy had 4-5 as many troops and reserves as they ever actually had.

Mac had a certain viewpoint and found intelligence that confirmed his idea of what the Confederates were doing. Before more effective military bureaucracies developed, men like him in high commands were entirely necessary to run an army. Unfortunately, putting them in high commands forced them to make tactical and operational decisions and not all men of that mindset were capable of it. Even Napoleon relied on his own sperginess as well as that of Davout and Berthier to administer his armies. Modern military officers can be much, much more specialized than officers of those days.

I believe Mac was also considered a wunderkind of the time, and I think Grant suggested that he was promoted to his position prematurely. He was definitely pretty young.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

MrMojok posted:

The NVA, being no dummies, figured out what SF was doing and how they operated and in '67 if I recall they decommissioned a paratroop unit and using those people stood up counter-recon teams whose whole purpose was to hang out at different spots on the Trail and hunt the SOG people down.

The NVA had paratroopers? :psyduck:

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

JcDent posted:

Deutchland uber alles is such a weak song, I would quit Nazi party on the spot. Now, the Soviet anthrm is where it gets good.

Good news, the Nazi party song is actually the Horst Wessel Lied!

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

HEY GAL posted:

he was quartermasterkin, the soul of a logistics dude in the body of a commanding general

Wallensteinsyndrom

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Nebakenezzer posted:

Don't go throwing any shade on Col. Chamberlain, son.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZL-5uyp44WA

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

dude will forever be my fav civil war figure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZL-5uyp44WA
Your community theater is really talented!

• Locked thread