Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Captain Oblivious posted:

The Lightning Spear line in DS3 does more damage the closer you are. Yes, it's a bizarre design choice. :shrug:

Oh wow lol.

e: Even at point blank it only does around 100 though. This is with a +2 talisman with a 14 faith req and A faith scaling.

Trash Trick fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Apr 14, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
So I killed the scrote tree and wow, people really weren't overblowing the fact that you just smash a treeman's balls into paste. Turns out that yes, killing ghost hodrick kills him for real because his corpse was down by the bonfire so that's a good thing to know for future playthroughs if you want to join mound makers. Now to co-op this tree guy a bit I guess for sunlight medals?

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

no, killing his ghost doesn't kill him. fighting the treedude kills him when the area collapses. i joined moundmakers after killing his phantom

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Has anyone found any evidence to suggest Cracked Blue Eye Orbs/Blue Eye Orbs exist at all anymore? Are sinner invasions just not a thing at all anymore for bluecops?

Orv
May 4, 2011

Has anyone found any evidence to suggest Cracked Blue Eye Orbs/Blue Eye Orbs exist at all anymore? Are sinner invasions just not a thing at all anymore for bluecops?

Now that bluecops actually function both they and Darkmoon just function as invasion responders.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

i think they're gone, which is a huge shame

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Nope, just wear your badge and you'll be summoned when needed.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

GreyPowerVan posted:

no, killing his ghost doesn't kill him. fighting the treedude kills him when the area collapses. i joined moundmakers after killing his phantom

Oh, that makes sense. I wonder why the cage guy never spawned for me.

As an aside, can't say I'm a fan of how the dark mask looks in this game.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I keep finding corpses of NPCs from the old games and its making me sad :smith:

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

let me just check my figures real quick here
Grimey Drawer
Looking for some help in the high wall area.

I'm ~15 hours in and came back to poke around for items and paths i missed. I think I have it all cleared now but there is one spot that looks reachable I can't get to.

At the top of the big stairs, in the room with the lady who gives you a banner, there looks to be an upper balcony that includes a kick-downable ladder to the lower floor but I have absolutely no clue how to get up there. Is this something I can get to?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Republicans posted:

Nope, just wear your badge and you'll be summoned when needed.

Yeah I've gone literally the entire game without that happening once, so the lack of blue eye orb antics is becoming kind of a problem :v:

Been invaded plenty! Haven't been summoned to help once.

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~

a cop posted:

Hoooly poo poo, why is Lightning Spear so insanely weak in this game? I'm feeling like I pumped all these points into faith for nothing now :\ It does like 90 damage when Soul Arrow does 70 for a third of the mana cost.

Yeah I've got 22 faith and I get about 1.5 enemies worth of lightning spears out of a full mana bar. I guess I don't know what I was thinking, since I heard offensive miracles were pretty weak in this game. I'd like to just power through with a hybrid melee/faith build using a lightning infused weapon, but I don't know where the lightning gems or the coal to forge them come from and I suspect I'm not there yet. I've killed 4 bosses and the deep battle axe is still doing work, but I don't know how much longer until I just hit a brick wall and don't do enough damage to progress reasonably quickly.

Escape_GOAT
May 20, 2004

Holy poo poo! I just swarmed by like 50 skeletons in the bottom of the catacombs on the way up to the boss. They were literally pouring off of the bridge and the ledges trying to get to me. It was like Hardhome.

It was awesome until I died.

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

Rahu posted:

Looking for some help in the high wall area.

I'm ~15 hours in and came back to poke around for items and paths i missed. I think I have it all cleared now but there is one spot that looks reachable I can't get to.

At the top of the big stairs, in the room with the lady who gives you a banner, there looks to be an upper balcony that includes a kick-downable ladder to the lower floor but I have absolutely no clue how to get up there. Is this something I can get to?

Just keep progressing in the game. You'll reach that ladder eventually.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Darke GBF posted:

Yeah I've got 22 faith and I get about 1.5 enemies worth of lightning spears out of a full mana bar. I guess I don't know what I was thinking, since I heard offensive miracles were pretty weak in this game. I'd like to just power through with a hybrid melee/faith build using a lightning infused weapon, but I don't know where the lightning gems or the coal to forge them come from and I suspect I'm not there yet. I've killed 4 bosses and the deep battle axe is still doing work, but I don't know how much longer until I just hit a brick wall and don't do enough damage to progress reasonably quickly.

Yeeaahhh, poo poo. Guess I'll just put in enough points for midheal and call it. Is there respeccing in this?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Internet Kraken posted:

I keep finding corpses of NPCs from the old games and its making me sad :smith:

Have you? Who/where?

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Orv posted:

Now that bluecops actually function both they and Darkmoon just function as invasion responders.

Which is dumb as hell.

No sinner invasion, two covenants that are completely identical in function that I would also be willing to bet will become dead as a doornail in a month...

I did not think they could screw up Covenants harder than they did DS1's but they have succeeded.

It's a step back from DS2, which is unbelievable.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

a cop posted:

Yeeaahhh, poo poo. Guess I'll just put in enough points for midheal and call it. Is there respeccing in this?

yeah, 5 per NG

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

Damned cathedral knights, give me your chest piece. I do not need 4 great shields.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

So I just finished Irina's quest, and don't I feel like a huge piece of poo poo. :(

To be fair, she did warn me that I was asking her to read incredibly evil tomes of evil, but buy everything from every merchant is my standard first playthrough standby.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Nuebot posted:

Have you? Who/where?

Off the top of my head;

-Farron Keep:Quelana, her corpse huddled next to the petrified body of Quelaag's Sister
-Smouldering Lake:Elizabeth near a chest containing Dusk's dress

Tallgeese posted:

Which is dumb as hell.

No sinner invasion, two covenants that are completely identical in function that I would also be willing to bet will become dead as a doornail in a month...

I did not think they could screw up Covenants harder than they did DS1's but they have succeeded.

Wouldn't be a From game without them taking two steps forward and one step back :geno:

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

I HATE ALL FORMS OF FUN AND ENTERTAINMENT. I HATE BEAUTY. I AM GOLDJAS.

GreyjoyBastard posted:

There's another sorcery vendor in Road of Sacrifices, upstairs from the building that leads to the Crystal Sage.

That's the sorcery vendor that left after I killed a boss almost immediately after getting him.

If there is any other one, I'd like to know (besides yuria and the starting person, both of which have only sold me a few sorceries).

Orv
May 4, 2011

Tallgeese posted:

Which is dumb as hell.

Nah sorry, they're good, even if there is a duplicate covenant.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

goldjas posted:

That's the sorcery vendor that left after I killed a boss almost immediately after getting him.

If there is any other one, I'd like to know (besides yuria and the starting person, both of which have only sold me a few sorceries).

There isn't. If you defeat Abyss Watchers without ever giving the sorcery vendor any scrolls for new sorceries, he fucks off permanently.

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014
the game FUCKIN CRASHEDS MY ENTIRE fREEEAAKING Personal Computer whernever I get to the big round room after the first "boss" fight in the tutorial

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Orv posted:

I at least maintain that you should be able to be invaded while embered regardless of boss status.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Orv posted:

Eh, he's kinda right. Bluecops are only barely better off than they were in DS2 and what activity they do have isn't going to last. With sinner invasions inexplicably nixed, there's nothing to fall back on.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Tallgeese posted:

I at least maintain that you should be able to be invaded while embered regardless of boss status.

So they did take out invasions in areas where the boss is dead? Ugh.

The only advantage the online in this seems to have over DS2 is more people and the invasion item being easily accessible.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Eh, he's kinda right. Bluecops are only barely better off than they were in DS2 and what activity they do have isn't going to last. With sinner invasions inexplicably nixed, there's nothing to fall back on.

And how many times did you actually get invaded by or invade sinners in 1? Anecdotal evidence and all but that system barely worked in the first place from what I saw.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Orv posted:

And how many times did you actually get invaded by or invade sinners in 1? Anecdotal evidence and all but that system barely worked in the first place from what I saw.

Why couldn't they have simply made it like DS2 with a whole orb?

There was literally nothing wrong with DS2's setup except soul memory and the lack of full orbs.

It's a shame they did something to fix the covenants needing a ring slot then do the one or two things that killed the whole point.

Who is going to Way of Blue after a month?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Orv posted:

Plenty, and there were also arenas as yet another option. Getting summoned to protect Way of the Blue folks was basically impossible, and I say that as one of the lucky few who actually managed to do it semi-regularly due to right place/right time, but at least there was something in place for when that didn't work. We've got nothing here :shrug:

It's really bizarre to me because DS3 seems to still have the Sin mechanic, judging by the Velka Statue and it's absolution function but...if there's no sinner invasions what on earth is it for? :psyduck:

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Farmed 30 mins for the Lothric Knight Sword after beating Vordt and made it Refined infused. Now I'm set until I find other weapons which I might like better.

Also Free-For-All pvp is fun
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MPihhFRam0s

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

It's really bizarre to me because DS3 seems to still have the Sin mechanic, judging by the Velka Statue and it's absolution function but...if there's no sinner invasions what on earth is it for? :psyduck:

Nah, whenever Velka is involved all Sin means is "NPC hostility".

Orv
May 4, 2011

Plenty, and there were also arenas as yet another option. Getting summoned to protect Way of the Blue folks was basically impossible, and I say that as one of the lucky few who actually managed to do it semi-regularly due to right place/right time, but at least there was something in place for when that didn't work. We've got nothing here :shrug:

I can understand that, but I guess I don't see what the end issue is. If you want non-consensual PvP, Watchdogs exists, and there will be new players and new runs to invade for months to come, and after that the new equivalent of bridge dueling will probably survive longer still. What am I missing that's the issue, I guess is what I'm asking.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Cobalt60 posted:

Does Grass crest shield stack w/ Chloranthy ring for extra bonus stamina regen? Any reason I should NOT be jazzed to use the grass shield once again in a DS game??

still waiting on an answer for this also.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
The dual-swords church boss can burn in skinny ballet hell.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Orv posted:

I can understand that, but I guess I don't see what the end issue is. If you want non-consensual PvP, Watchdogs exists, and there will be new players and new runs to invade for months to come, and after that the new equivalent of bridge dueling will probably survive longer still. What am I missing that's the issue, I guess is what I'm asking.

There's no way to explicitly target serial invaders in any of the options you presented.

Think about it. Who is most likely to be the most experienced and best set-up? Serial invaders.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Trying to get summons for sunbro covenant, I've only been summoned once for this tree boss. The waiting is terrible.

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky
next level strats for vordt

https://www.tumblr.com/video/vocaridei-lieza/142148210562/500/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Tallgeese posted:

There's no way to explicitly target serial invaders in any of the options you presented.

Yep, that's the thing. We had a "good aligned" invasion option in the past two games and that was fun and thematic, now we don't and there doesn't seem to be any compelling reason why when the Covenants associated with that are present and accounted for. It's just strange.