Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
One of the more recent builds added unremovable sound effects, but that may have been taken out since. The notification system is a little clunky, but it's functional. The single player AI is about as good as you would expect a Twilight Struggle AI to be. It doesn't have any of the features from the new expansion yet. In every other way it's more or less perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Bought the Fast and Furious game. Looks pretty okay, but not as good as I had hoped.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

The General posted:

Bought the Fast and Furious game. Looks pretty okay, but not as good as I had hoped.

Exactly how high were your expectations for a Fast and Furious board game? And I ask that as a fan of the series.

Also, has anyone noticed that there's a whole lot more licensed board games nowadays (that aren't just some variant of Monopoly or Risk)? I find it interesting that that's happening.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Probably a combination of niche games getting more popular, hence being able to afford licenses, and becoming more corporate, so the people who run these companies know how to do a licensing deal properly.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

GrandpaPants posted:

Exactly how high were your expectations for a Fast and Furious board game? And I ask that as a fan of the series.

Also, has anyone noticed that there's a whole lot more licensed board games nowadays (that aren't just some variant of Monopoly or Risk)? I find it interesting that that's happening.

It is designed by Jeff and Carla Horger, the couple that did Thunder Alley. Thunder Alley is great, so I got my hopes up, cause fast and furious is great too.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Crackbone posted:

Probably a combination of niche games getting more popular, hence being able to afford licenses, and becoming more corporate, so the people who run these companies know how to do a licensing deal properly.

Licensed games have existed for a while (I think I have a CSI game sitting around somewhere), but I think there's an increase in their quality in recent years. There's probably also an okay amount of returns for a relatively low amount of risk and investment.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

My favorite old school boardgame tie-in is the Dallas RPG.

E: And then there's the Cluedo film, althouhg that's going in the opposite direction.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Toshimo posted:

How is TS:Steam?

Russia keeps eating nerfs because of the key resellers, while the US gets to take advantage of the weaker South American currency. The balance hasn't held up.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.
A friend of mine bought Marvel: Legendary against my advice and man, is that an aggressively bland game. It's hilarious how badly they botch the only thing going for it (theme) by including only a single loving image for each character and apparently just going "gently caress it" for some of them when trying to come up with appropriate mechanics.

Mortley posted:

How many of y'all still actually like Carcassonne a lot? I still take a turn or two in the iOS app against friends who live abroad pretty much every day, with varying expansions (although not phantom or princess or whatever other annoying ones). I own Hunters and Gatherers, which is OK, but the art style is occasionally unclear and isn't very attractive, and the mechanics encourage you to fight nearly every move of your opponent. I played the South Seas and Gold Rush variants at the local board game library and liked them both. South Seas is much less cutthroat and thus my girlfriend likes it more. I actually like that no one has to keep score on the track. Gold Rush is fun, but basically it just partially randomizes the scores for cities. It's hard to imagine a situation in which the mining tent mechanic would determine the winner.

I think Hunters + Gatherers is pretty much perfection, but then I prefer my Carcassonne to be cutthroat.

Carcassonne: The Castle is pretty weird and honestly kind of poo poo. It's by Knizia, not Wrede, and it changes up the way are partitioned in a really disorienting way. Avoid unless you're a completionist IMO. I've heard better things about Carcassonne: The City but never played it.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Bubble-T posted:

I think Hunters + Gatherers is pretty much perfection, but then I prefer my Carcassonne to be cutthroat.

Carcassonne: The Castle is pretty weird and honestly kind of poo poo.

Agreed on both fronts. We have H+G and it's so good.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Oh geez I just learned I was playing Roll for the Galaxy completely wrong the first time I broke it out. I was playing it so all phases happen every turn. God, no wonder my friends didn't like it.

I played it tonight the right way. It's really fun! This was the reason for my confusion over the game earlier, it seemed kind of uninteractive because I was playing it all wrong, with all the phases happening every turn.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

What's good about H+G and different from the base game?

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

SynthOrange posted:

What's good about H+G and different from the base game?

Tigers

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

We LOL at death! Watch us LOL. Love the LOL.
Anyone had any experience with Burgle Bros? Junk or good? I love the idea, and can handle some random screwage if it isn't too long.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
The Dark Souls board game description of "prepare for the hardest board game ever! you ain't never played a game this hard!" is a huge series of red flags. Dark Souls (Dark Souls 2 in particular, which focused heavily on the THIS GAME IS HARD marketing) is full of bad hard and poorly implemented difficulty. It's trivial to make a hard game, especially a hard board game. Making a possible, engaging, and rewarding board game that is also extremely hard is much more worthy of praise.

Besides, I doubt it would exceed Vlaada's games in difficulty. Space Alert Red Alert Double Actions missions are absolutely one of the hardest feats in gaming. Dungeon Lords gets up there. Galaxy Trucker with Rough Roads gets up there. I can only imagine the DS board game will interpret "hard" as "you can only damage enemies if you roll a 6! :twisted:" which of course wouldn't result in a consistently hard experience to even a fraction the degree Vlaada's games do.

dropkickpikachu posted:

How well does Coup play heads-up? I just got it from my FLGS because I had a 10 dollar coupon, but usually my only gaming partner is my girlfriend, we don't play with groups much.

1v1 Coup is literally Coup at its best. Make sure you use the 2P variant rules to do so. If you can't find them in the back of the manual, they are as follows:
  • Separate the deck into 3 packs of 5 cards, each pack containing 1 copy of each card.
  • Each player discreetly chooses 1 card as a starting card and sets the other 4 aside, not to be used or seen in the game.
  • The remaining 5-card pack is shuffled, made the deck, and each player receives 1 card from it as their other starting card.
  • First player starts with 1 coin. Second player still starts with 2.

The only duplicate cards in the game will be the ones you bring. Ambassador looks at 2 cards of a 3-card deck. The card you choose during the opening is itself a bluff and a read. Each game goes a minute or 2, but it's the most intense minute conceivable. Friends of mine have described it as "a knife fight." It's brutal and shocking and there's so much psychology flying around. It's Texas Hold'Em with no bad hands. 2-player Coup is phenomenal.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Blamestorm posted:

Anyone had any experience with Burgle Bros? Junk or good? I love the idea, and can handle some random screwage if it isn't too long.

It's a ok game, it suffers from major quarterbacking issues though as there is no hidden information shared between the players and no mechanisms to stop one player from just taking the turns for everyone else. The setup is also totally random, so you can get screwed or a really easy ride just from the setup, which you might not realise until the end since you reveal the tower as you go.

I like the fact that every tile is used in every game, so you can effectively plan risk/reward based on the tiles that you have already seen. In honesty, it's a game that I played for free since a friend had bought it, had fun and then never played again. I'm not sure I would recommend it over the vast selection of co-op games that are around now.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Broken Loose posted:

The Dark Souls board game description of "prepare for the hardest board game ever! you ain't never played a game this hard!" is a huge series of red flags. Dark Souls (Dark Souls 2 in particular, which focused heavily on the THIS GAME IS HARD marketing) is full of bad hard and poorly implemented difficulty. It's trivial to make a hard game, especially a hard board game. Making a possible, engaging, and rewarding board game that is also extremely hard is much more worthy of praise.

I'm trying to think of any board games that have been sold on their difficulty before. Shadowrun: Crossfire and the Gears of War game are both hard as balls, but they weren't marketed as such, they just happened to be difficult.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Bubble-T posted:

A friend of mine bought Marvel: Legendary against my advice and man, is that an aggressively bland game. It's hilarious how badly they botch the only thing going for it (theme) by including only a single loving image for each character and apparently just going "gently caress it" for some of them when trying to come up with appropriate mechanics.

Which is why you play Legendary Encounters, which features different images on every card and has a card called Sexual Tyrannosaurus.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Agricola may not have been specifically marketed as hard, but it is recommended with a strong emphasis on not starving to death.

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

Broken Loose posted:

Dark Souls (Dark Souls 2 in particular, which focused heavily on the THIS GAME IS HARD marketing) is full of bad hard and poorly implemented difficulty.

This is the craziest of nonsense. Dark Souls is the standup example of a game that is incredibly fair but you won't coast through. When you die you learn and improve and in most cases you died through fault of your own in the first place.

Tulpa
Aug 8, 2014

Broken Loose posted:

Dark Souls (Dark Souls 2 in particular, which focused heavily on the THIS GAME IS HARD marketing) is full of bad hard and poorly implemented difficulty.

This is laughable. While the Dark Souls 2 marketing was idiotic, neither of these games is actually especially hard once you get over the terrible habits you've picked up from other games. Taken on their own terms, they're not even "tough, but fair", they're just fair. The Souls series is one of the few modern franchises where you are solely responsible for how you do in the game.

SirFelixCat
Apr 8, 2016

They say an elephant never forgets the first time they got company dumped.

BonHair posted:

Agricola may not have been specifically marketed as hard, but it is recommended with a strong emphasis on not starving to death.

Subsistence farming! :) I like to say that this game is about SURVIVAL not prospering. Once folks get their head around that concept, vs most games, it makes the struggle more...understandable?

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Blamestorm posted:

I only played it once, but I enjoyed it, although I definitely see the potential for random screwage.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I'd give Burgle Bros a resounding "okay." It didn't really pop for me, but I wasn't otherwise offended. If you had more ways to mitigate the randomness, I might like it better. As it stands, though, it's a novel little multi-player puzzle.

SirFelixCat
Apr 8, 2016

I've played the follow-up to Burgle Bros and it's a clever, quick, 2-player deduction game that I think folks are going to really enjoy. If folks are interested, I can give more details, but didn't want to waste in case there isn't interest, heh.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

SirFelixCat posted:

I've played the follow-up to Burgle Bros and it's a clever, quick, 2-player deduction game that I think folks are going to really enjoy. If folks are interested, I can give more details, but didn't want to waste in case there isn't interest, heh.

I really like the aesthetic of Burgle Bros but the gameplay was quite meh. I'd be interested in some info about the follow-up though.

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

Sell me/stop me from getting Pax Parmir.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Did a 3p game (no Chaos) of Forbidden Stars last night as Orks and it's a lot more tense in general compared to 4p. Also Orks have my least favorite deck.

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.

Blamestorm posted:

If you don't mind a little randomness I would recommend it. I've played it about 5 times and it's always been well received.

There are rules for 2 story and 3 story variants. The 3 story games I've played have taken about an hour, the 2 floor variety about 45 minutes.

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

On Carcassone variants, Carcassone: The Discovery is a stand-alone that has a neat mechanic that you either place a meeple or pick one up, but not both. Meeples on the board at the end of the game score as if their feature is incomplete.
It's a pretty effective twist on the standard mechanism.

Also, my personal favorite way to play Carcassone is to take your score modulo 50. Wrapping the score board resets your score. If two people have the same score the one that got their later is considered winning.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Afriscipio posted:

Sell me/stop me from getting Pax Parmir.

What other kinds of games do you play? Does your group have the tolerance for a lot of take that?

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Jedit posted:

Which is why you play Legendary Encounters, which features different images on every card and has a card called Sexual Tyrannosaurus.

The art in LE is probably the worst part. It has two or three different styles, and Ripley is almost unrecognisable. :(

SirFelixCat
Apr 8, 2016

FulsomFrank posted:

I really like the aesthetic of Burgle Bros but the gameplay was quite meh. I'd be interested in some info about the follow-up though.

Simple game. 3 decks of cards that range from 4-15, 16-27, and 28-39. One player is has escaped from jail, the other is the Marshall trying to catch him. The escapee plays cards face down or draws a card or two. The Marshall, using deductive skills, must guess the cards played. If the Marshall ever guesses the last card the Escapee played, he wins. If the Escapee reaches Mexico (plays the #40 card), he wins. The catch is the Escapee can only play a card 1-3 numbers higher than the previous card played, with one way to get around that rule, which uses up his turn instead of laying down a card.

Not sure it sounds terribly compelling explaining it that way, but in action, it's a clever little $15 filler game. I'll be backing it when it hits KS.

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

T-Bone posted:

What other kinds of games do you play? Does your group have the tolerance for a lot of take that?

What do you mean by "take that?"

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Fat Samurai posted:

The art in LE is probably the worst part. It has two or three different styles, and Ripley is almost unrecognisable. :(

I don't disagree. On the other hand, at least they actually made more of an attempt than to grab a single panel from a 90s comic and call it a job done.

Banana Man
Oct 2, 2015

mm time 2 gargle piss and shit

Tulpa posted:

This is laughable. While the Dark Souls 2 marketing was idiotic, neither of these games is actually especially hard once you get over the terrible habits you've picked up from other games. Taken on their own terms, they're not even "tough, but fair", they're just fair. The Souls series is one of the few modern franchises where you are solely responsible for how you do in the game.

Could you expand on this? I've only heard the games reputation.

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012

Banana Man posted:

Nerds on the internet get a stiffy over defending their game and the phrase 'git gud'.

EBag
May 18, 2006

Banana Man posted:

There's very little RNG, it's a very deterministic game, rarely will you die if you play well or have the necessary experience. There is a lot of trial and error, especially as a newer player as you learn the enemies/bosses move sets, but the game never throws random, hidden bullshit 'Gotchas!' at you if you're careful and observant. There is definitely some bullshit in how they combine enemy types/placement, but everything is solvable and can be mitigated. Players have beaten the game without ever getting hit, so like Tulpa said it's entirely in your hands how hard the game is.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Jedit posted:

I don't disagree. On the other hand, at least they actually made more of an attempt than to grab a single panel from a 90s comic and call it a job done.

Agreed. I'm just salty about it. At least is the Wound deck which has the good, gory art. :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

I am so stoked to be graduating in May! Means I get to devote much more time to boardgaming/Netrunning. :woop: