Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013
I go through my life terrified by the possibility of becoming upset or angered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Though I myself have never been raped, Toni Morrison paints such a vivid picture of the act that I feel like I have experienced it firsthand. I have nightmares about it and I go into seizures whenever Morrison is mentioned in class.

I am suing the school but I may drop the suit if they dismiss the professor.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
And agree to remove Toni Morrison's books from the curriculum.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Applewhite posted:

And agree to remove Toni Morrison's books from the curriculum.

as an alcoholic the constant wine miracles in the new testament give me ptsd so bad i get memory hurls, i think someone should edit those bits out.

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.
Should college level courses require trigger warnings? No.

Would i think any professor that didn't allow a student to come to him in private to discuss personal concerns about content a dick? Yes.

If someone has issues with course content due to personal past trauma, that is why professors have office hours. So that it doesn't cause an interruption to the class as a whole and the student can go over their concerns and see what options they have.

Refusing to be challenged by a work of literature or not liking the themes is not a valid concern. Someone who lost their holocaust survivor grandfather the week before the class is supposed to discuss Night is something where I would think the prof is an rear end in a top hat if they refused to allow some sort of alternative to dealing with an extenuating circumstance.

The problem is entitled 18 year olds think "I don't like it" is an extenuating circumstance.

Like the girl on Tumblr who thinks she's entitled to an English degree while refusing to read works that "normalize misogyny". Which, spoiler alert, is about 95% of the western canon of literature.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

AA is for Quitters posted:

Should college level courses require trigger warnings? No.

Would i think any professor that didn't allow a student to come to him in private to discuss personal concerns about content a dick? Yes.

If someone has issues with course content due to personal past trauma, that is why professors have office hours. So that it doesn't cause an interruption to the class as a whole and the student can go over their concerns and see what options they have.

Refusing to be challenged by a work of literature or not liking the themes is not a valid concern. Someone who lost their holocaust survivor grandfather the week before the class is supposed to discuss Night is something where I would think the prof is an rear end in a top hat if they refused to allow some sort of alternative to dealing with an extenuating circumstance.

The problem is entitled 18 year olds think "I don't like it" is an extenuating circumstance.

Like the girl on Tumblr who thinks she's entitled to an English degree while refusing to read works that "normalize misogyny". Which, spoiler alert, is about 95% of the western canon of literature.

Exactly. The system we have works great and there is no problem with it.

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

Quoth the Raven "I love the power glove. It's so bad..."
Yes I agree with Stephen fry. Terminator Genysis is amazing

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
I read "The Things They Carried" and the puppy blowing up scene sent me into conniptions because it reminded me of the time my own puppy got exploded. I am now a ward of the state and poo poo in a diaper. If there had only been a trigger warning I might have become a productive member of society.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION
when stephen fry talks about technology i hate him but when hes in funny shows or having sex with a hot young dude i just want to be him

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

I understand where you're coming from my grandfather died in a concentration camp.

he fell out of a watchtower and that's why I can't take my structural engineering midterm next week

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.

The Insect Court posted:

I understand where you're coming from my grandfather died in a concentration camp.

he fell out of a watchtower and that's why I can't take my structural engineering midterm next week

C'mon son, everyone knows engineers are robots that are incapable of feelings, much less being triggered.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Hey I hear this is the clubhouse for lower-middle-class white men?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Which, spoiler alert, is about 95% of the western canon of literature.

that's easy, burn 95% of the western canon of literature. china did a pretty good job last time, but we can improve on it. theirs is only a model to be followed imo

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013

TetsuoTW posted:

lol. ya.

u nailed that one.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION

TetsuoTW posted:

haha yeah gently caress those lower-middle-class white men with their pale skin colour and their average socioeconomic status haha

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

fuckin honkeys haaha cracker lookin motherfuckers

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

e: double post oops

putin is a cunt fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Apr 14, 2016

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
The brown vote bar has shown itself. Soon this thread will shed its skin and be gassed, and a new hellthread will spawn elsewhere in GBS.

Hail Hydra.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

Wulfolme posted:

The brown vote bar has shown itself. Soon this thread will shed its skin and be gassed, and a new hellthread will spawn elsewhere in GBS.

Hail Hydra.

Hail Satan

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy

Hail Satan

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

Novo posted:

I'm not here to tell you what words mean. If you want to hyperventilate over token gestures like "this program may contain scenes that some viewers find objectionable" that's your own problem.

Haha, word-for-word classic answer from the handbook!

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Perhaps it is you, the person laughing at and making fun of the thing, who is actually doing the thing, somehow.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
Why are you talking about non-existent hypothetical people? Everyone knows my non-existent hypothetical people are the only ones allowed!

Meanwhile Stephen Fry ruins more than a twink's rear end in a top hat:

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

im sjw

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Archer666 posted:

idk does he qualify as a twink? he has a fairly obvious paunch. i think he's a poseur, and just has the haircut

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013

Oh, what the gently caress!

This word filter tricked me into thinking that..

Man... now I'm loving bummed.

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013
Your move.. punk.. :(

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth
"trigger warning" would be a good catchphrase for an active shooter on an arts and humanities college campus.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

The White Dragon posted:

idk does he qualify as a twink? he has a fairly obvious paunch. i think he's a poseur, and just has the haircut

Thats what I meant :v he made the twink fat. Hmm.. what do you call a fat twink anyway?

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Archer666 posted:

Why are you talking about non-existent hypothetical people? Everyone knows my non-existent hypothetical people are the only ones allowed!

I'm the paunch.

Archer666 posted:

Thats what I meant :v he made the twink fat. Hmm.. what do you call a fat twink anyway?

I usually just call him Archer666 :iamafag:

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax

Looks like somebody is having a case of the Mondays!

Creed Reunion Tour
Jul 3, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Grimey Drawer
So what would be some good books to read?

So far I've noted down the Night book, and the book with the exploding puppy.

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice
does anyone remember when PTSD was a thing that happened to a generation of men who spent a year sleeping in the rotting flesh of their friends and compatriots with nothing for company but officer Nagohimo of number one torture division, and their response was 'I don't want to talk about the war'.

Now PTSD is a student seeing an unexpected pomegranate. makes you think

RobattoJesus
Aug 13, 2002

bigguts

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

Bundle of Keys posted:

So what would be some good books to read?

So far I've noted down the Night book, and the book with the exploding puppy.

i would recommend war and peace but as someone who lost a relative in the napoleonic wars it hits a little close to home

avoid at all costs

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice
oh no a panic attack woe is me. how will i recover from these bad feelings.

boo hoo babies how about an actual attack by a murder squad eradicating your entire race??

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice
i read a book and had to lie down and now I simply cannot get out of bed. suck it depresstards

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice
ooooohhh waaaaa my iphone is on 3% battery

*sits in corner and sobs*

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice
back in my day, the Middle Ages, there were no iPhones just iGouges

some days I would be get home from 15 hours labouring down at the forge and find my entire family butchered by a raiding party from a rival town

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Applewhite posted:

I'm the paunch.

I usually just call him Archer666 :iamafag:

Well played, Applewhite. Well played indeed :cheers:

• Locked thread