Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

So I got to snowland. About how far in the game is that do you think?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

How are the "protect x" covenants supposed to work? I've had different ones on since I got one but haven't been summoned once. Do I need to be in a specific area for them to work?

Orv
May 4, 2011

GreenBuckanneer posted:

So I got to snowland. About how far in the game is that do you think?

Right about half if you do everything.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Orv posted:

Right about half if you do everything.

Sounds about right with the previous games for me then. I did everything possible in one run and it took about 50-60 hours. So far steam says I've spent 30.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Frank Eufemia posted:

Do we have a steam group/chat for this yet? I've been using the Dark Goon PC group for right now but there are usually only 4-5 of us in chat.

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/dasgoonspc

More people should join the chat and complain about dying.

shoot me an invite http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197966955340

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
Welp I Yoel just up and died since I went too far too fast thanks from for having some total bullshit triggers !!

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
So bummer, Hodrick is hard as hell and if you summon him and murder him you don't get free poo poo.

Hulebr00670065006e
Apr 20, 2010
Could we update the OP with a few fixed to technical issue on PC maybe, or do we expect goons to be able to google their way to fixes themselves?
For example I had troubles getting the game to recognize my controller which I fixed by using x360ce (like for the other two games). Also moved the game files from my SSD to my HDD to remove the stuttering which seems to have helped.

Zeth
Dec 28, 2006

Cluck you say?
Buglord
I just fell off the shrine rafters and died after dropping something for the nonsense crow but before picking up what it gave me in return. It wasn't there when I got back up. Anyone know if it'll turn up anywhere or am I just boned out of getting that this run?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

So I was playing a bit and then noticed that my little covenent symbol next to my status bars had gotten all withered and rotten. This confused and irritated me enough that I had to do some research despite myself. I really haven't done any besides my own bad habit of mousing over 1 out of every 4 or 5 spoilers here (still discovered a lot of stuff myself the hard/fun way) but this was bugging me. Turns out it has to do with hollowing. Mechanic spoilers here:

So in addition to making you ugly and wracking up an increasingly large debt to be paid off by the firekeeper to fix, Hollowing has another effect: the more hollow you are, the lower your priority for summoning and invasions are. Oh, and your Hollowing level increases by the number of darksigns/free levels you received from the Pilgrim. Around 70-80 or so you'll get the wrinkly hollowed symbol for your covenent slot meaning you've been pushed to the back of the Jolly Cooperation/Invasion line. Apparently you can eventually even lose the ability to co-op entirely. On the plus side, if your Hollowing level is greater than 15 then any Hollow infused equipment will give you 1 luck for each level if that's your sort of thing.

Alkydere fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Apr 14, 2016

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Aldrich is kicking my dick in, can I get some help? Level 47. We can put a password down or whatever, I just need some help and no one's putting signs here.

Kaldaris
Aug 10, 2008

Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!
Awesome possum!
Even if you're the curious sort I wouldn't advise mousing over this spoiler unless you've already been to Untended Graves. You really deserve it to yourself to experience this area. Preferably in the comfort of solitude and quiet.

Holy gently caress. This is easily one of the best areas I've ever had the feeling of experiencing in the entire SoulsBorne series. This one area-- Has so much mood, so much atmosphere. It's loving DRIPPING with it. Not to mention the ramifications that this area alone has on the series. It feels like a failed test run of another champion of ash. Like a million rats in a million mazes all built the same. It's goddamn oppressive.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Zaggitz posted:

Can anyone confirm whether or not chloranthy ring and grass crest shield stack like they used to in ds1?

They definitely still do, I have been using them as a mage to help maintain the double resource cost of spells :v:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

This game is okay so far. I would put the combat, writing and worldbuilding at about the same level as Dragon Age 2, but not quite achieving the same level of excellence as the new Tomb Raiders. It's also a little bit easy, I thought people told me it was gonna be hard. Well, god bless.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Alkydere posted:

Around 70-80 or so you'll get the wrinkly hollowed symbol for your covenent slot meaning you've been pushed to the back of the Jolly Cooperation/Invasion line. Apparently you can eventually even lose the ability to co-op entirely. On the plus side, if your Hollowing level is greater than 15 then any Hollow infused equipment will give you 1 luck for each level if that's your sort of thing.

I've had it capped for a solid 10 hours of my playtime, seemingly no issues with matchmaking/coop on my end. :shrug:

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

How many bosses are in this game? I've only beaten three so far and I'm 11 hours in so it surprises me to hear people say they've completed the game in 20 hours or whatever.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

man gently caress hawkwood, thieving rear end cheapskate.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.
I love the Mercenary move set but I find the damage a bit lacking, even with sword arts the first hit seems to do chip damage (like 20 or 30) but the follow up does a lot more, is this intentional?

Also, so does staggering work? I managed to stagger the tutorial boss & the (very minor enemy spoiler) giant crystal lizard in the tutorial area for a riposte but I'm not quite sure how, I know it wasn't parrying (was using R1 attack) but it felt like I just did a certain number of hits and they staggered. Any ideas?

Krolm
Nov 10, 2004

friendly and non-threatening

Bleak Gremlin
Sorry if this has been answered, but I just got Great Heavy Soul Arrow and Great Soul Arrow but neither of them seem to do noticably more damage than their previous version at ~27 int. Do the Greater variants somehow scale better later or how does this work?

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Any Faith users got an opinion on Saint-tree Bellvine vs Saint's Talisman? The latter has A scaling and 5 more base spell buff, but the former has a bit faster cast and the special regen, while slow, actually seems to heal a lot of health for only 18 FP - a lot more than Heal Aid which costs 27, so it seems like it'd be nice for times when you just want to top off. While I've never used Unfaltering Prayer and it seems kinda not that useful since you don't want to get hit in general.

Basically, Bellvine is definitely better at base level I think, BUT I have no idea if the damage of Saint's Talisman eclipses it at higher reinforcement.

E: Though, looking at it, they don't gain much spell buff from reinforcement huh...oh well.

Insurrectionist fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Apr 14, 2016

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

MZ posted:

I love the Mercenary move set but I find the damage a bit lacking, even with sword arts the first hit seems to do chip damage (like 20 or 30) but the follow up does a lot more, is this intentional?

Also, so does staggering work? I managed to stagger the tutorial boss & the (very minor enemy spoiler) giant crystal lizard in the tutorial area for a riposte but I'm not quite sure how, I know it wasn't parrying (was using R1 attack) but it felt like I just did a certain number of hits and they staggered. Any ideas?

If it works like DS1/DS2: Each enemy has an invisible "poise meter", works just like poison buildup etc: quick to grow, slow decay. Each attack does a certain amount of poise damage, and once the bar fills the enemy staggers and the bar empties. Some enemies have infinite poise, some merely high poise.

Xenothral
Aug 1, 2013

No one's left... Everything's gone...! Zebes is burning!

I can never decide on what hat I want my character to wear at all times, I keep swapping between one of the trillions of hoods I have. Fashion Souls is alive and well in my videogame.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

So are any goons interested in a pvp tournament in a week/few weeks? We can vote on what soul levels but I doubt anyone wants to grind up to 125 this early. It would have to be pc since that's what I'm on, though consoles are welcome to make their own. I would buy the winner a ten dollar steam game or something.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Krolm posted:

Sorry if this has been answered, but I just got Great Heavy Soul Arrow and Great Soul Arrow but neither of them seem to do noticably more damage than their previous version at ~27 int. Do the Greater variants somehow scale better later or how does this work?

1. Magic sucks until you get to crystal-tier spells at the end of the game
2. INT scaling is basically flatly-nothing until around ~40 int where it starts to properly pick up and 60 int is your regular softcap.

Until you get crystal spells and either the Court Sorcerer's staff or the Crystal Sage staff, stick to using pyromancy as it will scale better even off of raw int and is generally significantly cheaper. Great Chaos Fire Orb is DS1 levels of ridiculously powerful right now.

DXH
Dec 8, 2003

Ne Cede Malis

Hulebr00670065006e posted:

Could we update the OP with a few fixed to technical issue on PC maybe, or do we expect goons to be able to google their way to fixes themselves?
For example I had troubles getting the game to recognize my controller which I fixed by using x360ce (like for the other two games). Also moved the game files from my SSD to my HDD to remove the stuttering which seems to have helped.

moving the game files from an ssd to a regular platter drive fixed the stuttering for you? I just discovered the swamp past the big fuckoff crabs and poo poo is popping and locking again just like in the first post tutorial area. I'm going to try this in addition to the steam overlay workaround posted on the previous page because the stuttering is insufferable, it's like I'm playing DS1 on my ancient MacBook Pro again (which I beated on the same system). Weirdly enough, the stuttering helps with backstabbing some enemies like the Lothric Knights if you can juke them into a running stab.

Otherwise, amazing game, the music and sound especially

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Fuckin irithyll knights how frustrating

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard
Another noob question, after I defeated the first Boss, I got my rear end kicked from the Katana/Master Dude left of the Castle/Throne, killed him finally and....the gatter wont open and it says "does not open from this side". Do I have to buy that 20000 souls key from the old lady and unlock that other door outside on the right of the castle?. I am a bit lost now.

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity

Frankston posted:

How many bosses are in this game? I've only beaten three so far and I'm 11 hours in so it surprises me to hear people say they've completed the game in 20 hours or whatever.
If DS3 is like most of the other games, there's bosses you must beat for actual game progression, while others are optional, and typically unlock shortcuts / items.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

No that key opens another door. You progress by using the bonfire.

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard

GreyPowerVan posted:

No that key opens another door. You progress by using the bonfire.

Oh dear :doh: I was dumb running back to the starting area and thought I missed sth and had to farm 20k souls lol...Thanks, saved me another hour I guess and learnt about that mechanic as well.

Pronounced
Aug 18, 2013
He almost did it. Pontiff Sulyvahn almost broke me and my no summons/shields rule. Which is bad because he was actually really easy once i stopped panic rolling.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

I really wish some of the levels would let you slow the gently caress down. It seems like either through enemy density or gimmicks, a good 30-40% of the areas have shrine of amana-esque incentives to keep moving. I see how keeping the pressure up synergizes with the larger mobs, faster movement, and more dynamic combat, but there are tons of beautiful, atmospheric areas that I've only ever seen at a dead sprint, and that's kinda cruddy.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Is the parrying dagger the same speed of parry as a small leather shield? Trying to decide what I want in my offhand besides my staff.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
This owns

Ashtarath
Oct 11, 2012

So why do my summoned phantoms sometimes not have the ability to walk through fog doors to fight the boss with me?
Kind of dumb to have to fight a boss with extra health and none of the benefits of the people jerking off outside the boss room

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Thumbtacks posted:

Aldrich is kicking my dick in, can I get some help? Level 47. We can put a password down or whatever, I just need some help and no one's putting signs here.

If you're not seeing signs you may need to upgrade your weapon more. Also I think you're possibly underleveled for that area compared to most of the population

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

I don't suppose we have an idea what the recommended levels are yet per region at this point? Im not seeing as many summon signs as some but I am getting invaded almost instantly in the farron woods/swamp.

I've yet to get pulled in to help as a bluecop, or get help through way of the blue. I'm currently lvl 31 and at a poison swamp. I have no idea if that is too much or little for this region.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Ashtarath posted:

So why do my summoned phantoms sometimes not have the ability to walk through fog doors to fight the boss with me?
Kind of dumb to have to fight a boss with extra health and none of the benefits of the people jerking off outside the boss room

i think figured out the problem and solution. you have to wait until they sync up with you. i was experimenting with a friend who summoned me and when i joined his game he nor the enemies had animations and going in the fog door wouldn't let me in. when we waited for the animations to kick in on my side i could always go through the door 100% of the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

plape tickler
Oct 21, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I just beat Yhorm the Giant and I have no idea where to go next. Help.

edit - looks like it's Pontiff Sulyvahn but I haven't been able to get into the church.

plape tickler fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Apr 14, 2016